ADVERTISEMENT

Current state of DLS-Folsom

I went to the game last night too, as my son lives out that way. First time I’ve seen the blue turf live. No problem getting tickets, although a solid crowd. Fun atmosphere for Friday Night Lights.

It was a pretty boring game. Neither team did much offensively, especially through the air. When either team was forced to pass, it wasn’t pretty. DLS was just more consistent than the Bulldogs in their bread & butter ground game. Neither team turned the ball over, or by contrast forced any turnovers. I can totally see how both of these teams were held in check by Serra.
Did the DLS QB even complete a pass? I don't recall a clean reception by a Spartan receiver on the night. I may have missed it. Don't think they threw more than 6 passes all night

Did the DLS QB even complete a pass? I don't recall a clean reception by a Spartan receiver on the night. I may have missed it. Don't think they threw more than 6 passes all night
I don’t recall any Spartan receptions. Maybe one short pass to a running back? It allowed Folsom to just stack the box. Folsom’s QB at least threatened to pass, which opened up some running opportunities. But when did pass, most were broken up or off line. I think he had 1 completion of about 15-20 yds and maybe 2 other short gains.

Reactions: larry legend33
I went to the game last night too, as my son lives out that way. First time I’ve seen the blue turf live. No problem getting tickets, although a solid crowd. Fun atmosphere for Friday Night Lights.

It was a pretty boring game. Neither team did much offensively, especially through the air. When either team was forced to pass, it wasn’t pretty. DLS was just more consistent than the Bulldogs in their bread & butter ground game. Neither team turned the ball over, or by contrast forced any turnovers. And what is going on with Folsom’s punter? Maybe he was told to avoid the run back, but 15 and 20 yard punts? Most freshman punters can do better than that. I can totally see how both of these teams were held in check by Serra.
Agreed. Very boring game. Just lost a lot of appeal. Like I said too very average teams by there standards .
That was lyons punting. My guess is they didn’t want the speedster to return. Those looked intentional (although they were bad). But Folsom got bailed out on that facemask safety and DLS missed a chippy. I never felt DLS was losing. And the best yards Folsom got were sort of meaningless like end of half when DLS was in prevent.
I would rather pay to see pinnick play. Just my 2 cents.
You aren’t missing much this year folks.

Folsom is definitely missing Austin Mack this season. They would be the best team in NorCal had he decided to play his senior season.

He would have picked DLS and Serra apart.

Folsom is definitely missing Austin Mack this season. They would be the best team in NorCal had he decided to play his senior season.

They do miss Mack. A more polished passer would help bolster a younger receiver group.

But I don't think they are picking apart Serra this year.

They do miss Mack. A more polished passer would help bolster a younger receiver group.

But I don't think they are picking apart Serra this year.
I think that Mack would have toyed with the NorCal competition this year, Serra included…Folsom looks like a completely different team with him at the helm. In addition to his higher passing proficiency, we must also factor in his leadership, experience, and chemistry with Brian Ray.

Folsom lost their best returning player, a guy who I believe was the true 2022 SJS player of the year. While the game is ultimately won on the field, no easy task against Serra, I like Folsom better with Mack at QB and Lyons at receiver/backup.

I think that Mack would have toyed with the NorCal competition this year, Serra included…Folsom looks like a completely different team with him at the helm. In addition to his higher passing proficiency, we must also factor in his leadership, experience, and chemistry with Brian Ray.

Folsom lost their best returning player, a guy who I believe was the true 2022 SJS player of the year. While the game is ultimately won on the field, no easy task against Serra, I like Folsom better with Mack at QB and Lyons at receiver/backup.
It’s not even close. Lyons wants to run regardless of reads at this point in his career. Mack bounced at the right time. Folsom o line is a weakness this year also. Not nearly as good as last year. They lost a ton of talent too.
Can Oak Ridge get monkey off back this week? Folsom better exploit Ray. He needs at least 5-6 catches. .OR doesn’t have anybody who can match his physicality.

Last edited:

He wouldn't have the OL protection he had last year. Debatable he would pick anyone apart with the OL Folsom has this year. He'd be running more this year because of that. He certainly improves the Folsom offense though

Reactions: aztecpadre
He wouldn't have the OL protection he had last year. Debatable he would pick anyone apart with the OL Folsom has this year. He'd be running more this year because of that. He certainly improves the Folsom offense though
Folsom has always been great at teaching to get the ball out quick. They have always excelled in yards after the catch. They don’t seem to have that this year or it’s not as prolific as past. They also don’t have that big playmaker like before. They are young and probably a year away.

I know DLS had a bad showing against Serra but I think by end of year they will be tough. Not like old standards but they looked pretty damn good to me on road against Folsom.

Folsom has always been great at teaching to get the ball out quick. They have always excelled in yards after the catch. They don’t seem to have that this year or it’s not as prolific as past. They also don’t have that big playmaker like before. They are young and probably a year away.
This is what I saw on Friday night too. The gap has narrowed. I think OR, Rocklin, and DO will give them a game this season. Folsom might win them all but it won't be like the days of 52-13 or 52-7 that they regularly beat every team in the SFL. QB is not next level, I saw nothing with the arm or the ability to read the defense that told me he is anything but a decent HS QB. He is big, strong, and athletic, but not a next-level QB. He would probably be better at TE.

This is what I saw on Friday night too. The gap has narrowed. I think OR, Rocklin, and DO will give them a game this season. Folsom might win them all but it won't be like the days of 52-13 or 52-7 that they regularly beat every team in the SFL. QB is not next level, I saw nothing with the arm or the ability to read the defense that told me he is anything but a decent HS QB. He is big, strong, and athletic, but not a next-level QB. He would probably be better at TE.
Funny you say that. People my not recall Walker (older brother) was trying to play QB at OR before we transferred and ended up at a more natural position. (TE). Ryder is a great athlete who probably would be a big time TE prospect also. The QB position is so hard.
He has a lot of tools but a long way to go. It will be interesting to see if Folsom makes adjustments after that DLS game. Somehow, find a way to get Ray involved and OR will have a tough night. If they don’t the Trojans have a good shot to win.

Reactions: RidgeRider
He absolutely improves the offense and I believe that he would have picked Serra and DLS apart. With Mack at QB, you put Lyons at receiver, providing the Bulldogs with another playmaker. With Mack, Folsom definitely puts a lot more points on the board.

He absolutely improves the offense and I believe that he would have picked Serra and DLS apart. With Mack at QB, you put Lyons at receiver, providing the Bulldogs with another playmaker. With Mack, Folsom definitely puts a lot more points on the board.
Maybe or Maybe not…. Mack went 1-2 vs DLS and Serra last year and didn’t pick either team apart…. And if he is running for his life behind a worse O-line then no way he beats Serra….

And Since Mack doesn’t play defense he wouldn’t have helped Folsom stop DLS’s running game….And Since Lyons is a QB, I doubt he would be playing WR or TE, he would be the Back up QB….

So both teams would just double up Ray and keep the ball out of his hands…. Maybe part of the reason Mack left early is he knew Folsom wasn’t going to have a good line and had reached their ceiling and it would be better for him to develop at the next level….

Reactions: aztecpadre
Maybe or Maybe not…. Mack went 1-2 vs DLS and Serra last year and didn’t pick either team apart…. And if he is running for his life behind a worse O-line then no way he beats Serra….

And Since Mack doesn’t play defense he wouldn’t have helped Folsom stop DLS’s running game….And Since Lyons is a QB, I doubt he would be playing WR or TE, he would be the Back up QB….

So both teams would just double up Ray and keep the ball out of his hands…. Maybe part of the reason Mack left early is he knew Folsom wasn’t going to have a good line and had reached their ceiling and it would be better for him to develop at the next level….
Mack was the smartest guy in room. 100% he knew what was coming back and there really wasn’t anything more for him to prove. His move to wash early makes more and more sense every time I see Folsom play. Plus Lyons and him would have been splitting reps at QB as crazy as that sounds. (Trust me it would have happened)

Lyons is too good of an athlete to just sit on the sideline as a backup QB two years in a row. With the amount of times that he rushes the ball and the frequency in which he crashes into the linebackers (he never slides), it is quite evident that he could be utilized as a receiver. It would also show scouts that he is a team player who is willing to do what it takes to win. Depending on his development, he very well may find himself playing TE in college. Many athletic QBs have had to do so.

Sure, Folsoms line is not stellar but they are definitely serviceable. Yes, Serra applies a ton of pressure, but If you watch the film, Lyons rarely used the dump off pass to the running back (opting to run himself) and rarely threw the ball to the middle of the field which was open throughout the game. He still managed to throw for 240 yards, which would have been 270-280 if Folsoms tight end hold’s on to a wide open touchdown pass.

With all of the talk of Serra’s defense, their secondary still gave up 240 yards against a mediocre throwing quarterback with a not so stellar offensive line.

If you watch the film, you will see several open receivers that Lyons was uncomfortable making textbook D1 throws to. I say Mack would have carved up Serra because he would have been able to utilize the three step drop back quite frequently, see the entire field, and exploit the cushions that Serra’s dbs were given in certain coverages.

Folsom is limited with what they can do with Lyons, as he is a run first qb.

I don’t think Mack left Folsom because he didn’t have a stellar returning line. He probably left because he was mature for his age, ready to continue his development at the next level, and provided UW with a third quarterback option due to their position shortage.

In both loses, Folsom struggled to put points on the board. Some of that we can attribute to the defenses faced, but I take my chances with a 5-star Big 10 qb any day. Especially one now standing 6’6 230 pounds. He’s one year older, one year smarter, etc.

Pretty surprising seeing people are already calling it on Ryder Lyons. He’s only a sophmore and his 2 losses are against the 2 best teams in Northern California. He didn’t even look that bad in both of those games. He just ran too much.

Anyone remember Austin Mack’s playing time as a sophomore?! It was BRUTAL. I believe Folsom got waxed at rocklin when Mack had to play when their qb went down. Lyons looks wayyy better than Mack did at the same point in time.

My point is, Lyons will be fine and I predict he’ll be a top qb by the time he’s a senior.

As Larry mentioned, folsom is a year or 2 away. Their 2026 class is loaded.

Lyons is too good of an athlete to just sit on the sideline as a backup QB two years in a row. With the amount of times that he rushes the ball and the frequency in which he crashes into the linebackers (he never slides), it is quite evident that he could be utilized as a receiver. It would also show scouts that he is a team player who is willing to do what it takes to win. Depending on his development, he very well may find himself playing TE in college. Many athletic QBs have had to do so.

Sure, Folsoms line is not stellar but they are definitely serviceable. Yes, Serra applies a ton of pressure, but If you watch the film, Lyons rarely used the dump off pass to the running back (opting to run himself) and rarely threw the ball to the middle of the field which was open throughout the game. He still managed to throw for 240 yards, which would have been 270-280 if Folsoms tight end hold’s on to a wide open touchdown pass.

With all of the talk of Serra’s defense, their secondary still gave up 240 yards against a mediocre throwing quarterback with a not so stellar offensive line.

If you watch the film, you will see several open receivers that Lyons was uncomfortable making textbook D1 throws to. I say Mack would have carved up Serra because he would have been able to utilize the three step drop back quite frequently, see the entire field, and exploit the cushions that Serra’s dbs were given in certain coverages.

Folsom is limited with what they can do with Lyons, as he is a run first qb.

I don’t think Mack left Folsom because he didn’t have a stellar returning line. He probably left because he was mature for his age, ready to continue his development at the next level, and provided UW with a third quarterback option due to their position shortage.

In both loses, Folsom struggled to put points on the board. Some of that we can attribute to the defenses faced, but I take my chances with a 5-star Big 10 qb any day. Especially one now standing 6’6 230 pounds. He’s one year older, one year smarter, etc.
I appreciate this, but it doesn’t add up…. Mack was no better then Lyons against either of these teams….

Serra- Mack 19/33 for 228 0 TD’s- 17-12 loss….
Lyons- 17/27. - 240 yards, 21-14 loss….

DLS 1- Mack 18/26 185 yards , 24-21 win….
DLS 2- Mack 11/19 128 yards, 17-14 loss…
DLS- Lyons 16/22 169 yards, 14-7 loss….

Neither QB threw any TD’s in any of these games….

Mack Actually had a Huge advantage over Lyons….. Rico Flores as well as Bryan Ray so that made Folsom even more difficult to defend….

Your big miss here in your haste to blame Lyons is that Folsom has no running game so quite possibly Lyons is running the ball and running for his life because the line is not great and he doesn’t have a RB like Mack did with Maxi-Parlor…..

So, no way is Mack picking apart either of these 2 teams this year…. He couldn’t do it last year with better receivers, a better line and a better running game….

And I am with with @larry legend33 Mack knew exactly what he had coming back (No Rico Flores) which made his decision a no brainer….

And I agree with @SJS Lord People need to give Lyons a break, he is a Sophomore and has started 4 or 5 varsity games and other then the 2 against the top 2 nor Cal teams, he won them all easily…..

I appreciate this, but it doesn’t add up…. Mack was no better then Lyons against either of these teams….

DLS 2- Mack
And I agree with @SJS Lord People need to give Lyons a break, he is a Sophomore and has started 4 or 5 varsity games and other then the 2 against the top 2 nor Cal teams, he won them all easily…..

It is my understanding that the Lyons boy is not a sophomore by age and was held back a couple years at a jr high in el do hills? which changes a few things in my mind

Mack Actually had a Huge advantage over Lyons….. Rico Flores as well as Bryan Ray so that made Folsom even more difficult to defend….

Your big miss here in your haste to blame Lyons is that Folsom has no running game so quite possibly Lyons is running the ball and running for his life because the line is not great and he doesn’t have a RB like Mack did with Maxi-Parlor…..

So, no way is Mack picking apart either of these 2 teams this year…. He couldn’t do it last year with better receivers, a better line and a better running game….

And I am with with @larry legend33 Mack knew exactly what he had coming back (No Rico Flores) which made his decision a no brainer….

Yeah, you really can't call him a sophomore when he appears to have a testosterone advantage and the growing time advantage of an upperclassman.

Last edited:
Yeah, you really can't call him a sophomore when he appears to have a testosterone advantage and the growing time advantage of an upperclassman.
Fair enough on the Hold Back point…. I don’t have any first hand knowledge of that so I am not factoring that in….

But you guys would all know better then me so I will defer….. 🤣

We should be talking about Oak Ridge vs Folsom!
I want to say it’s been damn near 20 years since OR has won. (Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s been forever). OR really doesn’t have a QB this year but a stellar line and D. Not sure they can score enough against Folsom however. Gotta contain Lyons on ground and make him be a passer. He’s a heck of a runner and a load. I know where I will be Friday!
I say low scoring game that is less than 10 point win.
Sort of like last year section.

Reactions: THEOC89
We should be talking about Oak Ridge vs Folsom!
I want to say it’s been damn near 20 years since OR has won. (Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s been forever). OR really doesn’t have a QB this year but a stellar line and D. Not sure they can score enough against Folsom however. Gotta contain Lyons on ground and make him be a passer. He’s a heck of a runner and a load. I know where I will be Friday!
I say low scoring game that is less than 10 point win.
Sort of like last year section.
Lyon's running ability reminds me a bit of Lamson (Lamson had a good arm as well) and the kid Folsom had at QB before Mack, whose name I forget, but I don't think he ever played after Folsom.

Last edited:

Regarding reclassification:
It's quite a stretch to think that Rico Flores leaving or the quality of Folsom's returning players was pivotal in Mack's decision to reclassify. Those factors were probably not very high on his radar.

Some posters even speculated that Mack's departure stemmed from concerns about losing the starting position to Lyons or splitting playing time. But after closely analyzing game footage and doing basic research, those speculations seem highly unlikely.

I would argue that Mack's commitment to U-Dub was driven by many more enticing factors: remarkable recruiting trip and lucrative NIL opportunities to the independence of having his own apartment on a college campus in beautiful Seattle, the allure of the Pac-12, the chance to train with top-tier coaching staff, learn from a Heisman candidate, master the new offensive system with hopes of competing for the starting job as RS Freshman, and unlimited access to state-of-the-art facilities — IMO these elements paint a more realistic picture of his decision-making process. He gets to spend the upcoming season refining his skills under the tutelage of professional leadership.

From a recruit's perspective, Mack certainly seems to have landed an incredible deal.

Assessing the Impact of Austin Mack's Departure:

I'm definitely not pointing fingers at Lyons for the loss; football is the ultimate team sport. However, it's reasonable to assume that Mack would have seen significant growth from his junior to senior season, much like we anticipate for Lyons.

Reports suggest that Mack has become stronger, more athletic (he is now required to use his feet to extend plays), and more skilled, and (due to his experience) would be better integrated with his teammates/coaches over the past year. His improved decision-making, chemistry with the receiving corps, mastery of the offensive scheme, and leadership role at Folsom made him the team leader. Regardless of how we slice it, replacing a Pac-12/Big 10 5-star quarterback, who also happens to be the team's standout player, is no easy task.

As we conclude the 2023 non-league schedule, there's a strong case to be made that Mack is now an even better quarterback, leader, and passer. That's not to discount Lyons' potential for growth; it's just a snapshot of the current situation. When we discuss the appeal of the DLS-Folsom matchup (or even Folsom-Serra), it's worth pointing out that Mack would have undoubtedly been the most prominent recruit on the field.

Your breakdown of the stats must also be considered because, for athletes, it is always motivation to improve.

Lyon's running ability reminds me a bit of Lamson (Lamson had a good arm as well) and the kid Folsom had at QB before Mack, whose name I forget, but I don't think he ever played after Folsom.
Lamson and Lyons is a good comparison. Both kids could play some other position and get D1 scholarships.
Both 6”3 200+ and tough kids.

Casey Taylor sitting on 199 career wins per Joe D in sac bee. Will 200 be Friday?

Lamson and Lyons is a good comparison. Both kids could play some other position and get D1 scholarships.
Both 6”3 200+ and tough kids.

Casey Taylor sitting on 199 career wins per Joe D in sac bee. Will 200 be Friday?
That could be an extra big win for Taylor to get career win 200 as Oak Ridge snaps the losing streak to Folsom

That could be an extra big win for Taylor to get career win 200 as Oak Ridge snaps the losing streak to Folsom
Under normal circumstances it would be something to celebrate but to do it under the cloud of a massive scandal is a black eye on the entire program

Under normal circumstances it would be something to celebrate but to do it under the cloud of a massive scandal is a black eye on the entire program
Masssive? 4 stupid kids out of 50? I’m close to the situation and it’s zero reflection on the team/coaches. OR has always been a high integrity /standard program. Any body who has been around the program for the last 3 decades + knows that.
Trust me.. they win and it will be celebrated as it should be.

De La Salle is not even playing Folsom next season. I wonder who DLS will play besides Serra this year. I heard they retained the matchmaking services of Joe Maimone of Prep Gridiron Logistics LLC. DLS might play DeSoto or Austin Westlake this upcoming season.

De La Salle is not even playing Folsom next season. I wonder who DLS will play besides Serra this year. I heard they retained the matchmaking services of Joe Maimone of Prep Gridiron Logistics LLC. DLS might play DeSoto or Austin Westlake this upcoming season.
I hear DLS will travel to London this year to play NFL academy. This will probably be a hit to the schedule. I believe they play early in the week like Monday night that means no game the previous Friday or the following Friday. This info is not from anyone involved with the program but that’s the word going around.

I hear DLS will travel to London this year to play NFL academy. This will probably be a hit to the schedule. I believe they play early in the week like Monday night that means no game the previous Friday or the following Friday. This info is not from anyone involved with the program but that’s the word going around.
.......🤠sounds like somebody found their big brother's stash of THC chocolate gummies last night.

.......🤠sounds like somebody found their big brother's stash of THC chocolate gummies last night.
I’m not sure what you mean but I assume you think I’m full of sh.. and have no idea what I’m talking about. When it comes to “THC chocolate gummies” I don’t know what I’m talking about I had to google it to know what you were saying. I have no brothers only two sisters and never (knowingly) touched a drug. So when I say DLS is going to Play the NFL academy of London you can put money on it.

I’m not sure what you mean but I assume you think I’m full of sh.. and have no idea what I’m talking about. When it comes to “THC chocolate gummies” I don’t know what I’m talking about I had to google it to know what you were saying. I have no brothers only two sisters and never (knowingly) touched a drug. So when I say DLS is going to Play the NFL academy of London you can put money on it.
Humbab........No way did I think you were el caca constipado when I first saw your post, nor did I have any intention of spreading unsubstantiated rumors about your family (if so taken I apologize to all). But seeing your post about a possible DLS OOS game on steroids my reaction was that of little Elliot the first time he saw E.T. with his finger tip that lit up. If your post is true than I will be the King of the creek bathing, mouth breathers.
If your tip turns out to have any validity then the Streaky One better hire additional staff to help with the extra subscribers that will flock to the blogging source of such a scheduling scoop.......and You Sir should be awarded an free annual membership for sharing one of the potentially hottest Prep Football scoops of the '24 season.

Humbab........No way did I think you were el caca constipado when I first saw your post, nor did I have any intention of spreading unsubstantiated rumors about your family (if so taken I apologize to all). But seeing your post about a possible DLS OOS game on steroids my reaction was that of little Elliot the first time he saw E.T. with his finger tip that lit up. If your post is true than I will be the King of the creek bathing, mouth breathers.
If your tip turns out to have any validity then the Streaky One better hire additional staff to help with the extra subscribers that will flock to the blogging source of such a scheduling scoop.......and You Sir should be awarded an free annual membership for sharing one of the potentially hottest Prep Football scoops of the '24 season.
I think this is pretty interesting and what a great experience that would be for the DLS kids….

My question would be is how in the world would the CIF allow this?…. If CA teams can’t play IMG Academy how in the heck would they be allowed to play an NFL Academy?…..

Reactions: Humbab and bella123
In no way was I offended by your post and I totally understand your questioning the validity of my post. But here’s the story. I coached HSFB for many years and became friends with a lot of coaches. We have a text thread of 13 that when we hear something we text it to the group. One of them heard from an assistant coach at NFL academy telling him we just got a deal done and we are playing DLS in London. I’m sure there is a ton of logistics to take care of. So this is second hand info and these deals do fall through. However if someone wants to bet on it you should put your money on DLS going to London.

Thursday evening I have dinner with Colombo & Friends. Let's see if I can act like a First Alert detector and sniff out any smoke on this issue. The Spartan staff, in the past have been known to hold their cards so close to their chests that the cards somehow end up in the backside of their underwear until it is time to place their bets, so keep your fingers crossed .

View: https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=EfK-WX2pa8c

Last edited:
1315.......Sir,
That video makes me look like a big dummy !!
But anybody who knows me, knows that I am NOT that big....!
But otherwise a close rendition.
Exactly MortarMan! Anybody that knows you knows about the card table in the back room at Rocco's where Lad and Terry had the "offers that you can't refuse" discussions with familia during the Hold 'Em pow wows.

Others here? "Are you guys rolling out pizza "dough" back there?"

😂

In no way was I offended by your post and I totally understand your questioning the validity of my post. But here’s the story. I coached HSFB for many years and became friends with a lot of coaches. We have a text thread of 13 that when we hear something we text it to the group. One of them heard from an assistant coach at NFL academy telling him we just got a deal done and we are playing DLS in London. I’m sure there is a ton of logistics to take care of. So this is second hand info and these deals do fall through. However if someone wants to bet on it you should put your money on DLS going to London.
Humbab......Your tip on this particular race horse looking pretty good. Looks like it's the "crossing t's and dotting i's stage ". You should definitely keep in contact with your assistant coach buddy.

Last edited:
24-25 schedules are beginning to be posted now on Maxpreps. Joe has been posting that he has been retained by DLS and is working on their nonleague games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT