ADVERTISEMENT

Current state of DLS-Folsom

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Swimming in what has been pretty choppy waters in the past, but the dynamic around this game is in an interesting spot.

They met in NorCal Open games in 2012 and 2013 with DLS winning both. The 2014 matchup that most everyone wanted didn't happen and we had to wait until 2018 for a regular season meeting that was likely the most hyped regular season game in the past 20 years in NorCal. De La Salle added 2019 and 2021 regular season wins before Folsom broke through in NorCals in 2021. The results flipped with Folsom winning in the regular season in 2022 with De La Salle winning NorCals.

All that to say, with each matchup, the allure of this series seems to drop. Is it that the more we see it, the more it is normal? Does the decreasing mystic of De La Salle make them just another top game? Has the change in scheduling for Folsom lessened the issue some had with the Bulldogs?

Yes, there was a poster on here who generated a lot of it, but the talk around this game seems quieter across the HS Football space in general.

Swimming in what has been pretty choppy waters in the past, but the dynamic around this game is in an interesting spot.

They met in NorCal Open games in 2012 and 2013 with DLS winning both. The 2014 matchup that most everyone wanted didn't happen and we had to wait until 2018 for a regular season meeting that was likely the most hyped regular season game in the past 20 years in NorCal. De La Salle added 2019 and 2021 regular season wins before Folsom broke through in NorCals in 2021. The results flipped with Folsom winning in the regular season in 2022 with De La Salle winning NorCals.

All that to say, with each matchup, the allure of this series seems to drop. Is it that the more we see it, the more it is normal? Does the decreasing mystic of De La Salle make them just another top game? Has the change in scheduling for Folsom lessened the issue some had with the Bulldogs?

Yes, there was a poster on here who generated a lot of it, but the talk around this game seems quieter across the HS Football space in general.
I think the general feeling was that Folsom was avoiding DLS and putting together weak schedules just so they could pad their stats and inflate their state and national rankings….

Plus all the whining and crying Folsom did when they lost back to back years to DLS and created the Folsom rule and ruined the open play in game….. That was really bad for HSFB in Nor Cal…..

The new Folsom Coach has changed that narrative…. While Folsom is still reluctant to schedule any So Cal power like Cen10 or MV or a Trinity Leage team, at least they are playing Nor Cal’s Top teams each year which has been great for us fans….

Like anything the more it gets framiliar, the less exciting it becomes…. I would personally like to see Folsom play a top so cal team or 2, but I do like the fact that Folsom, DLS and Serra are playing each other….

The best thing would be to bring back the open play in game though, that would crown a true champion of Nor Cal and would bring even more excitement to matchups like these….

Kudos to Folsom new Coach though for changing the narrative and bettering Nor Cal HSFB unlike their last coaches who were afraid to lose and ruined a perfectly good playoff system that crowned a true open champion because there were scared of DLS…..

A NorCal Open bowl playoff game would dilute NorCal's chances vs. SoCal powers even further. The SoCal advantage in sheer numbers of strong teams, when combined with the premier Trinity League's collection of regional all-star teams, gives SoCal an undeniable advantage. Eliminating NorCal's number two team in an Open playoff game would be self-destructive.

I think this game would continue to have the allure had Serra not emerged beating them both for the last two years.

I think DLS's return to the veer will help steady them against the majority of their NorCal competition, but does them virtually no good should they make it back to the CIF Open Division.

The loser of this game could very well (and probably should) drop to D-1A with the CS D-I winner challenging the winner of this week's game (assuming SRV does not finally end the Spartan NCS streak). Clovis North just beat JSerra from the Trinity League and I think Clovis East has a good chance of beating North in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
A NorCal Open bowl playoff game would dilute NorCal's chances vs. SoCal powers even further. The SoCal advantage in sheer numbers of strong teams, when combined with the premier Trinity League's collection of regional all-star teams, gives SoCal an undeniable advantage. Eliminating NorCal's number two team in an Open playoff game would be self-destructive.
This is not true at all…. Take the last 2 years for example….

In 2021 we would have had DLS vs Serra for the Open and Folsom vs Someone for 1AA…. So Folsom would have been in the 1AA SBG anyway assuming they beat whoever they were paired up with in the Regional like they beat DLS….

2022- We would have had Folsom vs Serra for the Open and DLS vs Someone for D1AA Regional…. DLS would have been in the same D1AA game assuming they beat whoever they played in the Nor Cal Regional like they beat Folsom….

And how do we know that if Folsom or DLS got a re-match with Serra last year that either would not have beaten Serra…. Remember when Serra got Smoked by ST Francis in 2021 then barley beat SF in the playoffs?….. How do we know SF wasn’t the real #2 team in Nor Cal that year?….

So that whole argument that “The Second Best Team in Nor Cal” needs to move in is just not true…. It would be better for Nor Cal overall to crown a true Open Champ on the field….

Def lost some allure. I’m not even worried about getting tickets. The harder Ticket will be the following week when oak ridge plays Folsom what will likely be for the sfl title.

I think this game would continue to have the allure had Serra not emerged beating them both for the last two years.

I think DLS's return to the veer will help steady them against the majority of their NorCal competition, but does them virtually no good should they make it back to the CIF Open Division.

The loser of this game could very well (and probably should) drop to D-1A with the CS D-I winner challenging the winner of this week's game (assuming SRV does not finally end the Spartan NCS streak). Clovis North just beat JSerra from the Trinity League and I think Clovis East has a good chance of beating North in a couple of weeks.
The philosophy of going back to the veer is something I was talking about this weekend. I don't see a path right now for DLS to compete with Mater Dei and Bosco, but in trying to compete with them and expanding the offense, it has hurt them in NorCal.

What option do you choose? The path with the highest ceiling to compete at state level or the path with the ceiling to be the top team in NorCal.

In 2021 we would have had DLS vs Serra for the Open and Folsom vs Someone for 1AA…. So Folsom would have been in the 1AA SBG anyway assuming they beat whoever they were paired up with in the Regional like they beat DLS….

2022- We would have had Folsom vs Serra for the Open and DLS vs Someone for D1AA Regional…. DLS would have been in the same D1AA game assuming they beat whoever they played in the Nor Cal Regional like they beat Folsom….

And how do we know that if Folsom or DLS got a re-match with Serra last year that either would not have beaten Serra…. Remember when Serra got Smoked by ST Francis in 2021 then barley beat SF in the playoffs?….. How do we know SF wasn’t the real #2 team in Nor Cal that year?….

So that whole argument that “The Second Best Team in Nor Cal” needs to move in is just not true…. It would be better for Nor Cal overall to crown a true Open Champ on the field….
Jeesh, are you still complaining about this? JFC. The Open regional was doomed no matter what, especially after the SS reformatted their divisions. You can't have different rules for each region and there is no point to have one in the south. The vote was 10-0! Get over it.

If these two teams were as great as they were in 12-13 there would be plenty of hype surrounding them but they’re not so there isn’t

Reactions: remc and mrbig864
The philosophy of going back to the veer is something I was talking about this weekend. I don't see a path right now for DLS to compete with Mater Dei and Bosco, but in trying to compete with them and expanding the offense, it has hurt them in NorCal.

What option do you choose? The path with the highest ceiling to compete at state level or the path with the ceiling to be the top team in NorCal.
I think the same reason why DLS could no longer compete against the SS powers is the same reason why Serra is now better. The increased level of opposing linebacker play has neutralized them. I don't think it would really matter what offense they use.

Against almost everyone else, sure, the veer will have them beating them, including Folsom. I think that could keep them relatively viable in D-1A, but they may be falling behind even in D-1AA. The SDS top teams are major threats in that division, as are the top two in the CS.

Jeesh, are you still complaining about this? JFC. The Open regional was doomed no matter what, especially after the SS reformatted their divisions. You can't have different rules for each region and there is no point to have one in the south. The vote was 10-0! Get over it.
Really?….. How was it Doomed?…. It seemed to be working just fine…. Especially in Nor Cal….

And the CIF can do whatever they want…. We already have different rules for the North and South….

Example: The NCS and Now CCS have this ridiculous Open, with the 2 worst teams and the 2 best teams in the section, The “Championship game” Loser moves on to play on the D1 final, a format that no Section in So Cal has…. Because the NCS is afraid of DLS and the CCS is now afraid of Serra….

San Diego runs a real 4 team Open Bracket where the 4 top teams play each other…. The southern section and Nor Cal do not do that….

So there is 3 examples of how no one has to operate within the same format throughout the state….. It can be done and there is no reason for Nor Cal not to bring back the open championship game anymore since DLS is no longer invincible in Nor Cal….

So Cal would be smart to move to San Diego’s 4 team Open style format as well…. The So Cal D1 playoff’s are a boring joke knowing every year that MD and SJB will play for the title…. All you need is the top 4 ranked SS teams, you don’t need 8-10….

Times have changed and the CIF needs to change with them to make HSFB more competitive and entertaining for everyone involved….

Reactions: aztecpadre

True - sorta

Yea, When there are 3 Top Teams, like there have been the past few years, then a Nor Cal Open Game would Only eliminate one of the 3 Top Teams, and there’d be two top level teams to still represent Nor Fal at the State level. But in years where there was only a clear #1 and #2, an Open Game would (and has) eliminated Nor Cals second best team from a State Title game consideration.

all of that stated, I loved the Nor Cal Open Game

Reactions: ThunderRam

Going back to the veer or some variation of this is probably the only way they compete with the SoCal elites. They probably will never win a shootout with those programs who have more talent and athletes. A veer or wing will allow a team to grind, control the clock, keep it low scoring, etc……,

Reactions: remc and Streak One

Big picture, I think it has more to do with the same results happening time after time... That leads to the disinterest. NorCal football fans know that DLS gets better as the season progresses. The best time to beat DLS is earlier in the season (current MD/SJB notwithstanding). So, the timeline/results that you pointed out in the second paragraph, Folsom winning early and the DLS winning late in the season, is on brand/par for the course. IMO, intrigue occurs when something out of character is possible/occurs...Like Colorado being on a national stage (whether earned or not) vs being the doormat of the Pac-12 previously.

Reactions: NCS707
Game has lost its luster. Teams aren’t exciting like MD/SJB. Not enough talent on the field.

Really?….. How was it Doomed?…. It seemed to be working just fine…. Especially in Nor Cal….

And the CIF can do whatever they want…. We already have different rules for the North and South….

Example: The NCS and Now CCS have this ridiculous Open, with the 2 worst teams and the 2 best teams in the section, The “Championship game” Loser moves on to play on the D1 final, a format that no Section in So Cal has…. Because the NCS is afraid of DLS and the CCS is now afraid of Serra….

No, we don't. The sectional and bowl playoffs are conducted independently of each other. Each section puts forth their teams for bowl playoffs. The overall discussion is with the CIF Bowl playoffs, for which, the RULES ARE THE SAME!

San Diego runs a real 4 team Open Bracket where the 4 top teams play each other…. The southern section and Nor Cal do not do that….

Not relevant. See above.

So there is 3 examples of how no one has to operate within the same format throughout the state….. It can be done and there is no reason for Nor Cal not to bring back the open championship game anymore since DLS is no longer invincible in Nor Cal….

Yes, there is and here it is: YOU CANNOT HAVE DIFFERENT CIF BOWL RULES FOR NORCAL AND SOCAL! Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

Even if you could, why would you want NorCal to get handcuffed by losing it's #2 team, then having everyone else move up one notch?

So Cal would be smart to move to San Diego’s 4 team Open style format as well…. The So Cal D1 playoff’s are a boring joke knowing every year that MD and SJB will play for the title…. All you need is the top 4 ranked SS teams, you don’t need 8-10….

"So Cal"? See, this is what I'm talking about. There are 3.5 sections in SoCal. San Diego is in SoCal. We can't have a discussion unless you understand basic facts. If you want to refer to the Southern Section, then say that.

That said, it's still not relevant.

Times have changed and the CIF needs to change with them to make HSFB more competitive and entertaining for everyone involved….
Competitive and entertaining... really?

The first year in which the regional Open game was removed was 2014. Incidentally, that was also the year Centennial was moved into the SS Pac-5 division. Since then, that division (and later D-I) has only been won by 3 teams: Centennial, Mater Dei, and St. John Bosco. Really, since 2016 (aside from the COVID year), it has been MD and SJB.

Since 2016, guess how many times San Diego or LA City section teams have stepped up to challenge either the Monarchs or Braves.

None! Zilch! Not a single team.

Now, what would you imagine someone with two IQ points to rub together might derive from this?

If the SJS did not introduce the removal of the Open regional game, the SDS or LACS would have. If they didn't, the SS themselves would have. Everyone here needs to stop trying to view the CIF football landscape through a microscope.

Big picture, I think it has more to do with the same results happening time after time... That leads to the disinterest. NorCal football fans know that DLS gets better as the season progresses. The best time to beat DLS is earlier in the season (current MD/SJB notwithstanding). So, the timeline/results that you pointed out in the second paragraph, Folsom winning early and the DLS winning late in the season, is on brand/par for the course. IMO, intrigue occurs when something out of character is possible/occurs...Like Colorado being on a national stage (whether earned or not) vs being the doormat of the Pac-12 previously.
Except this didn't happen in 2021.

Going back to the veer or some variation of this is probably the only way they compete with the SoCal elites. They probably will never win a shootout with those programs who have more talent and athletes. A veer or wing will allow a team to grind, control the clock, keep it low scoring, etc……,
56-33, 52-21, 35-21, 49-28 suggest otherwise.

the game was only interesting when de la salle was good. now that they are a .500 team its not unique to see teams compete with/beat them any more

So, 99.9% of California high school games are not worthy of interest?

Then, why are you here?
Worthy of interest and losing its luster are indeed distinct concepts. Should we continue to dialogue, let's discuss the topic at hand in a respectful manner.

No, we don't. The sectional and bowl playoffs are conducted independently of each other. Each section puts forth their teams for bowl playoffs. The overall discussion is with the CIF Bowl playoffs, for which, the RULES ARE THE SAME!

Not relevant. See above.

Yes, there is and here it is: YOU CANNOT HAVE DIFFERENT CIF BOWL RULES FOR NORCAL AND SOCAL! Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

Even if you could, why would you want NorCal to get handcuffed by losing it's #2 team, then having everyone else move up one notch?

"So Cal"? See, this is what I'm talking about. There are 3.5 sections in SoCal. San Diego is in SoCal. We can't have a discussion unless you understand basic facts. If you want to refer to the Southern Section, then say that.

That said, it's still not relevant.

Competitive and entertaining... really?

The first year in which the regional Open game was removed was 2014. Incidentally, that was also the year Centennial was moved into the SS Pac-5 division. Since then, that division (and later D-I) has only been won by 3 teams: Centennial, Mater Dei, and St. John Bosco. Really, since 2016 (aside from the COVID year), it has been MD and SJB.

Since 2016, guess how many times San Diego or LA City section teams have stepped up to challenge either the Monarchs or Braves.

None! Zilch! Not a single team.

Now, what would you imagine someone with two IQ points to rub together might derive from this?

If the SJS did not introduce the removal of the Open regional game, the SDS or LACS would have. If they didn't, the SS themselves would have. Everyone here needs to stop trying to view the CIF football landscape through a microscope.
Do you work for the CIF?….. You seem upset….. 🤣

I will reiterate The CIF can do whatever they want…. Example, Nor Cal’s Loser Moves on “Open” playoff Brackets in the NCS and CCS…. And San Diego has a 4 team Open playoff where no loser moves on….

The Southern Section Should Adopt San Diego’s 4 team open format because we don’t need an 8-10 team bracket to tell us that MD and SJB will be in the finals every year…. We can do this with the Top 4 Southern Section teams in a 4 team open bracket which will ne better for the players, schools and fans….

There is no 2nd best team in Nor Cal, there is parody now, no team is invincible…. This has been proven the last few years with Serra and St Francis and Folsom and DLS…. Each team had a victory against the other in the regular season and lost to the same team in the playoffs…. Just like MD and SJB have done In So Cal so we need a Nor Cal open play in and I doubt any section commissioner in So Cal will care one bit….

Times have changed and it is time to stop handing out a Nor Cal open Championship, which was dumb in the first place, and play it out in the field, there is no DLS team that nor Cal has to be scared of anymore…. It’s on the CIF to make the adjustment….

Although this game has lost some of its luster, it’s still a huge game for Northern California football. These are essentially 2 of the top 3 teams in our area for the past decade. Bay Area vs Sacramento, tons of D1 players, solid coaching, bragging rights, etc… mix in the fact that the past 4-5 meetings have gone down to the wire, make this matchup one I will not be missing.

Reactions: THEOC89 and Cal 14
Anytime you can match up a top 5 team with another top 5 team, it is going to have some natural allure. That being said, it is not the mother of all games anymore. I have watched, either in person or via streaming, all the DLS / Folsom games. The most alluring game, in my mind, was the 2018 game. This was first time DLS and Folsom had met in regular season and both teams has a lot hype riding into this game. But every time Folsom and DLS play, I am interested.

This year, the match up might have higher allure because Folsom is looking bright and DLS is playing catch up. More than any other year, it seems Folsom is highly favored to win.

Reactions: THEOC89
Anytime you can match up a top 5 team with another top 5 team, it is going to have some natural allure. That being said, it is not the mother of all games anymore. I have watched, either in person or via streaming, all the DLS / Folsom games. The most alluring game, in my mind, was the 2018 game. This was first time DLS and Folsom had met in regular season and both teams has a lot hype riding into this game. But every time Folsom and DLS play, I am interested.

This year, the match up might have higher allure because Folsom is looking bright and DLS is playing catch up. More than any other year, it seems Folsom is highly favored to win.
This is where I land. Obviously still a really big game in Northern California, but has changed in the past few years

This is where I land. Obviously still a really big game in Northern California, but has changed in the past few years
The game used to have a Centennial vs. Mater Dei/Bosco feel to it, but both Folsom and DLS getting stomped in state games every year kind of made everyone realize that it's not at the same level.

The game used to have a Centennial vs. Mater Dei/Bosco feel to it, but both Folsom and DLS getting stomped in state games every year kind of made everyone realize that it's not at the same level.
The 2018 Game featured 2 future NFL players on DLS and Several D1 players on Folsom…. On top of that Folsom had 17 returning starters and was the defending D1AA Champ….

Since then’ neither team has reached the level they were at…. Both teams have had a drop off in talent, DLS is playing for D1AA now instead of the open and Folsom lost in the playoffs, lost in the D1AA SBG and lost in the D1AA Regional….

DLS has lost in the D1AA Regional, D1AA SBG and has lost to ST Francis and twice to Serra….

So I agree with you, it does not have that same feel it did before…. That being said it is still a game between 2 of the top 5 teams in Nor Cal and a great matchup!…. Kudos to the coaches for keeping this game going!….

Really? I suppose if one is comparing results from their respective Serra matchups, maybe you come to that conclusion. But after the Spartans manhandled what was supposed to be a ‘highly favored” St Mary’s squad last week - I still call this one a toss-up.

the game was only interesting when de la salle was good. now that they are a .500 team its not unique to see teams compete with/beat them any more
.500 is too low. Depending on their schedule.700 is more accurate.

Really? I suppose if one is comparing results from their respective Serra matchups, maybe you come to that conclusion. But after the Spartans manhandled what was supposed to be a ‘highly favored” St Mary’s squad last week - I still call this one a toss-up.
Yeah, I think SM was a little inflated in a certain poster's view that got everyone on this board thinking the same thing. But there's not been the usual hype for Folsom we normally see here year in and year out.

I will agree the game is a toss up but I still give a slight edge to Folsom.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think SM was a little inflated in a certain poster's view that got everyone on this board thinking the same thing. But there's not be the usual hype for Folsom we normally see here year in and year out.

Home field is why I give Folsom a very slight edge. Vegas has Folsom as a 1.5 pt favorite. 🤣

• Haha
Home field is why I give Folsom a very slight edge. Vegas has Folsom as a 1.5 pt favorite. 🤣
Between these two teams, home field doesn't mean much. DLS has won the last two games At Prairie City. Folsom won in Concord when they played there last .This year's version of the two teams, I give Folsom a slight edge

Last edited:
Yeah, I think SM was a little inflated in a certain poster's view that got everyone on this board thinking the same thing. But there's not been the usual hype for Folsom we normally see here year in and year out.

Disagree. SM is good, very good. They just had an off night on offense, throwing the ball. They will be just fine tonight vs Bishop Amat (Rams already scored in less than 3 minutes, up 7-0, and defense doing their thing). Field position, special teams favored DLS last week. Game was close in the first half and again SM offense just couldn’t get it going in the second half, either. QB Samson Hunkin had an off night. Don’t sleep on St. Mary’s! They will still be the top contender/seed for SJS D2 playoffs and will be hard to beat by the other SJS D2 teams.

Let’s not forget that DLS avenged their loss vs Folsom in the regional game last year. Folsom lost more key players to graduation. DLS was very young last year and still relatively young, but IMHO, they returned a lot of speed. Still it will be a good game.

DLS vs Folsom is about matchups. DLS strength is their D vs the run. That’s how they beat St. Mary’s and appear to be doing just fine vs Folsom tonight. The Rams were not going to beat the Spartans without a passing game. Folsom passing game this year any good? Last year it was.

So far tonight’s game looks awfully close, but my eyes see the Spartans in control. Missed FG and controlling the clock.

I thought the 2018 matchup was the most talented in terms of players,especially on the Folsom side that year.Close,tough game.Best game of the series IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Streak One
Terrific post! Welcome aboard.
I was their last night thinking this is just another good local Hs team. Nothing more. I haven’t said that in a a decade + about Folsom. Offensively I have no idea what they are doing with Lyons. He was basically a wildcat QB all night. You have skilled WR and they never get the ball.
The Score wasn’t that close either. DLS dominated that game. Where are the Folsom insiders? Curious what they have to say. Not pretty.

Reactions: remc
I was their last night thinking this is just another good local Hs team. Nothing more. I haven’t said that in a a decade + about Folsom. Offensively I have no idea what they are doing with Lyons. He was basically a wildcat QB all night. You have skilled WR and they never get the ball.
The Score wasn’t that close either. DLS dominated that game. Where are the Folsom insiders? Curious what they have to say. Not pretty.
I went to the game last night too, as my son lives out that way. First time I’ve seen the blue turf live. No problem getting tickets, although a solid crowd. Fun atmosphere for Friday Night Lights.

It was a pretty boring game. Neither team did much offensively, especially through the air. When either team was forced to pass, it wasn’t pretty. DLS was just more consistent than the Bulldogs in their bread & butter ground game. Neither team turned the ball over, or by contrast forced any turnovers. And what is going on with Folsom’s punter? Maybe he was told to avoid the run back, but 15 and 20 yard punts? Most freshman punters can do better than that. I can totally see how both of these teams were held in check by Serra.

Reactions: THEOC89 and remc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT