ADVERTISEMENT

Daniyel Ngata staying put at Folsom

Well Joy, Folsom chose not to play DLS after being completely crushed by them twice....With the same stars players.....0-3 against the BEST Norcal program in the history of this state......Want to claim to be the best you have to play the best....and they didn't.... Folsom was a good team that ran up the scores all season but never really played NORCALS best....it's in the pudding...

Just for fun, From what ive seen from folsom over the years Id have to say these are my top three championship teams and why.

1. 2010 Having watched the 09 miraculous playoff loss to del oro and the opening 2010 loss to grant, i wasnt sure what the hype was with this team. I know i was yelling "over rated" during that grant ass whopping! Boy did they prove me wrong by the end of the season! I watched them dominate two truly athletically gifted teams in grant and serra! The qb was unstoppable and his chemistry with the skill players was unreal. So Why did i rank them over the 2014 team? Well, Mainly because they were home grown, they put folsom on the map, and in order to win state they had to beat two teams that would eventually put multiple players in the nfl. Pretty impressive, plus it was there 1st state title.

2. 2014 Statically they were unstoppable with outstanding line play, defense, and qb play. With future nfl players on the roster they are considered the best folsom team of all time by many. Some even say the best team the section has ever seen. Total domination start to finish. Only knock i hear is the so called "folsom rule" and not having to go threw dls. I also heard rumors that there future nfl players werent from folsom, hence starting the large debate about transfers. Either way, them boys were lights out good that year and impressive to watch!

3. 2018 "Would of could of should of" doesnt apply in wins and losses, but they outplayed dls for the first time! People will hate on that but ill give them the love and kudos they deserved. A Great game against an eventual section champ and "open bowl game" runner up. And a great overtime game against another section champ to close out the 2018 season for a state title. Everyone else in between they completely overwhelmed with talent, speed, and coaching. Id say this is the most athletic team ive ever seen at folsom and the most cuturally diverse.

3. 2018 "Would of could of should of" doesnt apply in wins and losses, but they outplayed dls for the first time! People will hate on that but ill give them the love and kudos they deserved. A Great game against an eventual section champ and "open bowl game" runner up. And a great overtime game against another section champ to close out the 2018 season for a state title. Everyone else in between they completely overwhelmed with talent, speed, and coaching. Id say this is the most athletic team ive ever seen at folsom and the most cuturally diverse.
Outplayed? No way. Not at the game I was at. Did you see that 3* corner flat out shut down Folsom’s 5* receiver? Not to mention it was week “0” and dls started a sophomore QB in his first varsity start.
Last years Folsom team was the second best team in NorCal and about 10th best in all of Ca. That’s realistic not computer generated max preps rankings. One other thing. When you say “everyone else in between” that’s the problem. There is no one else in between.

Last edited:
Outplayed? No way. Not at the game I was at. Did you see that 3* corner flat out shut down Folsom’s 5* receiver? Not to mention it was week “0” and dls started a sophomore QB in his first varsity start.
Last years Folsom team was the second best team in NorCal and about 10th best in all of Ca. That’s realistic not computer generated max preps rankings. One other thing. When you say “everyone else in between” that’s the problem. There is no one else in between.

Outplayed? To me, Yeah. Honestly the score board is the only thing that really matters and dls won. My focus was to identify my top three folsom championship teams not to break down the dls vs folsom game, which has pretty much been beat to death on this board since the game ended. Im just not interested in that discussion anymore, too many homers on here from both sides to have a honest healthy conversation. Im curious tho, Any thoughts on my top three? Id rather pick your brain and talk about that, if interested.

Just for fun, From what ive seen from folsom over the years Id have to say these are my top three championship teams and why.

1. 2010 Having watched the 09 miraculous playoff loss to del oro and the opening 2010 loss to grant, i wasnt sure what the hype was with this team. I know i was yelling "over rated" during that grant ass whopping! Boy did they prove me wrong by the end of the season! I watched them dominate two truly athletically gifted teams in grant and serra! The qb was unstoppable and his chemistry with the skill players was unreal. So Why did i rank them over the 2014 team? Well, Mainly because they were home grown, they put folsom on the map, and in order to win state they had to beat two teams that would eventually put multiple players in the nfl. Pretty impressive, plus it was there 1st state title.

2. 2014 Statically they were unstoppable with outstanding line play, defense, and qb play. With future nfl players on the roster they are considered the best folsom team of all time by many. Some even say the best team the section has ever seen. Total domination start to finish. Only knock i hear is the so called "folsom rule" and not having to go threw dls. I also heard rumors that there future nfl players werent from folsom, hence starting the large debate about transfers. Either way, them boys were lights out good that year and impressive to watch!

1) 2009 got flat out coached.....should have won that game handlily.
2) 2010 Grant minus Ferrence Lang and Shaq on one leg is what saved them....the game still wasn't a run away......take Dano Graves or Jordan Richards away and see if they would have beaten the Pacer.....not a chance...
3) 2014 vs. 2018
Browning over Bennett??? Browning numbers were heavily inflated by running up scores.
Laologi over D.Ngata.....I'll take the latter
Deguara over J.Ngata not even close
Stallworth over Badger...I know whom I am picking....

All great athletes...just as I think back who would I have picked....I think 2018 is the most talented Folsom team.....

2014 did not play the best so they shorted themselves to be called the greatest Folsom team ever... JMHO

2) 2010 Grant minus Ferrence Lang and Shaq on one leg is what saved them....the game still wasn't a run away......take Dano Graves or Jordan Richards away and see if they would have beaten the Pacer.....not a chance...
3) 2014 vs. 2018
Browning over Bennett??? Browning numbers were heavily inflated by running up scores.

All great athletes...just as I think back who would I have picked....I think 2018 is the most talented Folsom team.....

2014 did not play the best so they shorted themselves to be called the greatest Folsom team ever... JMHO

There are individuals out there who like to tout the ‘14 team because it can never be proven as to how good they really were. But to think that team went from a 35 point loser to DLS in’13 to state champs in ‘14 (since Sparty was the state champ in ‘14). is a little bit of a reach. The ‘18 Folsom team was their best. Imho.

Reactions: remc and THEOC89
Not a good stance my friend. The rules are posted and we need to follow the spirit of those rules. Free speech is censored (or at least hand-picked) all the time in mainstream media. If you think I am wrong, tell me how many times you have heard (or read) racial slurs, violent language, viewed the dead or heard far left or right extremely radical rantings.

If racial slurs sold we would hear them don’t kid yourself. We hear them in movies music etc, same with violent language you name it. As far as far left or right radical rants we hear those on the regular as well. Censorship is the foundation of fascism it starts there.

Just read this. Well said Bella. I'm a hater because I actually have unbiased opinions about players and programs that aren't always mainstream. If a kid is a punk I'm calling him one. Its what is wrong with our society today. Its like my parents use to say... Sometimes you gotta get hit between the eyes to wake up.
You're a hater because you come on here acting like a tough guy, talking shit about high school players, some that you don't even know personally. You've obviously never been hit between the eyes..or maybe you have and that's why you're a keyboard warrior.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
All interesting comments on Folsom 2014. It is obvious that a team that was at least 6-7 td's worse than its opponent (that was what the margin would have been if DLS left in its starters the first two games with Folsom) does not improve enough in one year to say thy would have beaten DLS in 2014.

Just pure garbage to say so.

Plus DLS had four new starters on the o line. Great game, I was there, Folsom gave a good account of themselves

3) 2014 vs. 2018

You're only listing skill players. And even then it's not a complete landside.

The aspect that separated 2014 from 2018 was the physicality and line play. The 2014 team was far superior in that regard. Jonah Williams and Cody Creason played both ways and were superior to anybody on the 2018 team. Folsom's 2014 defense was their best.

And, yes, Jake Browning in HS was a far better passing QB than Bennett. C'mon now. You said it yourself. His skill level talent wasn't the same as 2018. Jordan Richards doesn't trump both Ngata's and Badger. If Browning had all three of those players? Hell, give those guys to Dano Graves rather than Trosin and Babineaux and guess how much crazier it would have been!

Last edited:
Reactions: ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL
I get the same vibe from him. Don't let it knock you off your mission.

C'mon guys. Lay off Larry. I've met the guy out at a game and he's legit. Sure, he does come off as opinionated (don't we all?) -- and I don't agree with him a lot of the time -- but he's far from uninformed. That dude gets out to a lot of HS football and basketball games each season. And attended a pretty prestigious school himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: kiddman32
There are individuals out there who like to tout the ‘14 team because it can never be proven as to how good they really were.

That goes both ways. You're doing the exact same thing you're criticizing them for. As you said, it can't be proven one way or the other. So you're assumption is no more correct.

But to think that team went from a 35 point loser to DLS in’13 to state champs in ‘14 (since Sparty was the state champ in ‘14). is a little bit of a reach.

As has been pointed out so many times on this board, this is a lazy, flawed take. There are teams that have flipped the script during the same season -- even a 35 point spread -- let alone being able to do it the following season. I won't bother to cite examples, because I know that you know it's true.

The 2014 team was drastically better than the 2013 team. Jonah Williams was reason #1. He played and dominated both ways. #2 was Senior versions of players such as Cody Creason, Bailey Laolagi and Jake Browning (just to name a few). They were all a lot better. As were many other players. It's called 'player development' and something DLS doesn't solely have a patent on.

That 2014 team also benefited from an infusion of talent from a 10-0 JV team.

All those factors, and more, contribute to it being a different team than in 2012 or 2013. Just as none of those previous games against DLS made a lick of difference when the teams met last season in what was largely an even game.

The ‘18 Folsom team was their best. Imho.

I don't believe so. Skill wise, 2018 was better. But in terms of line play, physicality and defense, the 2014 team was their best. And the QB was far more deadly slinging it. 2014 was better all around.

I have made the argument that 2018 was their 3rd best team. I firmly believe 2010 and 2014 were better. Of course, you'll probably retort and tell me I only believe that because Folsom didn't play DLS in either season. Whatever you need to tell yourself is fine by me. Regardless of how they would have performed against DLS, I truly believe 2010 and 2014 were better and have outlined numerous reasons why in other threads.

Still, who wins and who loses doesn't always come down to which team had more talent. Football often is more about matchups. Sometimes inferior teams just matchup better against certain opponents due to certain strengths and weaknesses.

My argument for the 2014 team against DLS is that team simply matched up better along the lines and was their most physical. Anybody that knows the history of DLS understands that's the area they have separate themselves. Physicality and line play. Along with coaching and year round training when others weren't doing it to the same degree, that's the aspect that allowed them to compete with and beat superior talented or larger teams -- e.g. Long Beach Poly.

Folsom's 2014 team matched up in that regard better than any other version. 2015 and 2018 were probably next in line.

Last edited:
You can say 2014 Folsom better, but not dramatically, even with Jonah Williams. You just don't erase a 35 point spread, which was actually probably a 50 point spread. Folsom fans need to stop saying that in 2014 they would have played with DLS. Sheer nonsense.

C'mon guys. Lay off Larry. I've met the guy out at a game and he's legit. Sure, he does come off as opinionated (don't we all?) -- and I don't agree with him a lot of the time -- but he's far from uninformed. That dude gets out to a lot of HS football and basketball games each season. And attended a pretty prestigious school himself.
I could give 2 sh!ts about how "informed" he is or what school he went to. He comes on here and talks shit about HS players and says, "I'll call him a punk if he is one." GTFOH with that crap tough guy. Talk about football all day long, that's fine. Just don't blast kids when you don't know them personally. That's all I'm saying.

That goes both ways. You're doing the exact same thing you're criticizing them for. As you said, it can't be proven one way or the other. So you're assumption is no more correct.

As has been pointed out so many times on this board, this is a lazy, flawed take. There are teams that have flipped the script during the same season -- even a 35 point spread -- let alone being able to do it the following season. I won't bother to cite examples, because I know that you know it's true.

The 2014 team was drastically better than the 2013 team. Jonah Williams was reason #1. He played and dominated both ways. #2 was Senior versions of players such as Cody Creason, Bailey Laolagi and Jake Browning (just to name a few). They were all a lot better. As were many other players. It's called 'player development' and something DLS doesn't solely have a patent on.

That 2014 team also benefited from an infusion of talent from a 10-0 JV team.

All those factors, and more, contribute to it being a different team than in 2012 or 2013. Just as none of those previous games against DLS made a lick of difference when the teams met last season in what was largely an even game.

I don't believe so. Skill wise, 2018 was better. But in terms of line play, physicality and defense, the 2014 team was their best. And the QB was far more deadly slinging it. 2014 was better all around.

I have made the argument that 2018 was their 3rd best team. I firmly believe 2010 and 2014 were better. Of course, you'll probably retort and tell me I only believe that because Folsom didn't play DLS in either season. Whatever you need to tell yourself is fine by me. Regardless of how they would have performed against DLS, I truly believe 2010 and 2014 were better and have outlined numerous reasons why in other threads.

Still, who wins and who loses doesn't always come down to which team had more talent. Football often is more about matchups. Sometimes inferior teams just matchup better against certain opponents due to certain strengths and weaknesses.

My argument for the 2014 team against DLS is that team simply matched up better along the lines and was their most physical. Anybody that knows the history of DLS understands that's the area they have separate themselves. Physicality and line play. Along with coaching and year round training when others weren't doing it to the same degree, that's the aspect that allowed them to compete with and beat superior talented or larger teams -- e.g. Long Beach Poly.

Folsom's 2014 team matched up in that regard better than any other version. 2015 and 2018 were probably next in line.

Thanks for the reply, Thunder. But my opinion and evaluation is far from lazy. We've just hashed this out 7,245 times and I won't be laying out my reasoning anymore on this hypothetical matchup. You make a solid agreement for '14 Folsom. But we'll just have to respectfully disagree. There's just no way you're going to convince me that '14 Folsom was going to turn two successive 35+ point beatings into a win against a team that owned them EASILY and was just as good as the prior year themselves. DLS gets flack about "hyper-improvement", but '14 Folsom apparently takes the cake.

Reactions: THEOC89
You can say 2014 Folsom better, but not dramatically, even with Jonah Williams. You just don't erase a 35 point spread, which was actually probably a 50 point spread. Folsom fans need to stop saying that in 2014 they would have played with DLS. Sheer nonsense.

Agree 100%. I'm a Spartan homer, but there's no way that I would claim that DLS would've beaten any state champ the next year after being crushed the prior two years. I'd feel absolutely silly.

I could give 2 sh!ts about how "informed" he is or what school he went to. He comes on here and talks shit about HS players and says, "I'll call him a punk if he is one." GTFOH with that crap tough guy. Talk about football all day long, that's fine. Just don't blast kids when you don't know them personally. That's all I'm saying.

I hear ya. I'm not privy to him blasting players. So I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks for the reply, Thunder. But my opinion and evaluation is far from lazy.

Nothing personal, as I enjoy your posts and general demeanor on the board. To clarify, when I say 'lazy' take, I just mean that line of reasoning has been proven flawed and fallible so many times. Just because a team experienced a blowout, doesn't mean they can't win the next matchup. It's happened many times before.

Just last season Mater Dei was blown out by St. John Bosco 41-18. Guess what happened 6 weeks later?

I could cite you many more examples of teams losing in blowout fashion only to flip the script the very next season. It happens all the time.

So with that in mind, it's lazy and beyond flawed to use that reason as the crux of why you're asserting that nothing would change.

It can't be emphasized enough how much different a team 2014 was from 2012 and 2013. Light years apart.

You make a solid agreement for '14 Folsom. But we'll just have to respectfully disagree.

So you really believe that the 2018 team that was one play from losing to far from great Cathedral Catholic team -- who lost by 12 to 6-4 La Costa Canyon no less -- and needed OT to pull out the W was somehow better than a team that put running clocks on all their opponents? Even an Oceanside team that was at least as good as this 2018 Cathedral team?

Let's also not forget that 2018 Folsom surrendered 46 to Central-Fresno. A good, but far from great team.

The 2010 Folsom team, while suffering a blowout loss to National top 10 Grant Union, still blew out 2 teams that were better than Cathedral Catholic. The far less than 100% healthy Pacers later that season and Serra-Gardena were both stronger opponents.

If you believe 2010 or 2014 would have struggled with Cathedral, I don't know what else to say.

DLS gets flack about "hyper-improvement", but '14 Folsom apparently takes the cake.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

I happen to subscribe to DLS's 'in-season' hyper improvement. IMO, on average, they improve over the course of a season more than 99% of teams.

That said, the naysayers are talking about over the course of the 'same' season. Not from one season to the next. That's an entirely different thing and topic of discussion. A ton more variables change from one season to the next versus during the same season. Rosters are different and player development happens.

Despite breaking in a green QB early on, wasn't 2018 DLS a much better team than 2017?? Wasn't 2006 much better than 2005?? Hell, 2005 was much better than 2004, which is widely considered their weakest team.

I really don't understand how you can argue against.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. I'm a Spartan homer, but there's no way that I would claim that DLS would've beaten any state champ the next year after being crushed the prior two years. I'd feel absolutely silly.

Then explain how DLS beat Centennial in 2007 a year after losing by 14 to Canyon in the SBG? Centennial was a superior team to Canyon.

And how on earth did DLS beat Bishop Gorman in 2018 after getting smoked by 27 the season before?? According to you, it's not possible that they made up a 27 point gap in less than 12 months, right?

You're killing me, SR!

Lastly, everyone is aware that DLS's last loss to a NorCal team north of Fresno was to Pittsburg in 1992. If you look at the games those two teams played in the few seasons before and after -- how the hell did that upset possibly happen?

Every team, season and game is different. That's precisely why the games are played. Any given Friday or Saturday, right?

Last edited:
I hear ya. I'm not privy to him blasting players. So I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah, either am I. Don't know who this guy is and don't really care. All I know is I've been an avid supporter of youth sports and have been for a long time. And its funny as you grow older you really stop caring as much about what others think. So whatever it is get over it. And I will never shy away from saying there is a right and wrong way to conduct yourself on the field, court, diamond. Like a wise coach told me once... We recruit "our kind of players."

As for the kid from Folsom (Higgins), looks like his brother is a big time incoming frosh at Stanford. Folsom has a ridiculous group at skill positions.
Badger, Hutton, Ngata, and now this kid.... Good lord. Who is the QB going to be?

You're a hater because you come on here acting like a tough guy, talking shit about high school players, some that you don't even know personally. You've obviously never been hit between the eyes..or maybe you have and that's why you're a keyboard warrior.
Often times I find myself on the opposite side of opinions from larry legend33, but here I must side with him. I don't see hate - I see his sense of clear opinion.

Yeah, I'm sort of more interested in today and assessing the new transfer into Folsom. Not everyday a kid shows up with offers to Texas A&M/Baylor. Just curious who the guy throwing the rock is going to be.

Bella, that Grant team was tough! But its DLS man..... DLS.

Yeah, either am I. Don't know who this guy is and don't really care. All I know is I've been an avid supporter of youth sports and have been for a long time. And its funny as you grow older you really stop caring as much about what others think. So whatever it is get over it. And I will never shy away from saying there is a right and wrong way to conduct yourself on the field, court, diamond. Like a wise coach told me once... We recruit "our kind of players."

As for the kid from Folsom (Higgins), looks like his brother is a big time incoming frosh at Stanford. Folsom has a ridiculous group at skill positions.
Badger, Hutton, Ngata, and now this kid.... Good lord. Who is the QB going to be?

With that collection of skills players, DN could throw 50 TDs. Easy to hit guys that are 10 yards open.

Geez a lot of effort in here for a game from 5 years ago that never even took place. Holy sh!t can we at least mix in the imaginary Grant \DLS games from 09’-10’ era that never took place either to freshen it up. :)

Hey man, yell at the posters that first diverted from the topic. I didn't start it -- just tried to finish it! LOL.

I think at this point dls fans should just concede the two mythical games of 2010 and 2014. Your 0-2 in Mr. Rogers make believe world. And 3-0 about to be 4-0 in the real world. The way it looks from the outside is Folsom has no chance if they actually play and dls has no chance if they don’t.

I think at this point dls fans should just concede the two mythical games of 2010 and 2014. Your 0-2 in Mr. Rogers make believe world. And 3-0 about to be 4-0 in the real world. The way it looks from the outside is Folsom has no chance if they actually play and dls has no chance if they don’t.

Now that's the way to add some levity to the conversation:)

Here's wishing you great football

And the Broussard kid from Consumnes Oaks and Apollo Jeffs from Pleasant Grove...

So much for Folsom having any drop-off. Not sure how much their line has changed but all the talk of them coming back a little to the rest of the league
is non-sense. Coaching is key but I suspect they will give DLS a good game again.

Reactions: remc
Yeah the realization that they are going to be up 35-0 in most of their SFL games at halftime is starting to sink in. Anybody have any insight into the QB situation? That is obviously a big ? mark after losing Kaiden Bennett. But if you can throw 15 yards Ngata, Badger, and Hutton can do the rest.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Yeah the realization that they are going to be up 35-0 in most of their SFL games at halftime is starting to sink in. Anybody have any insight into the QB situation? That is obviously a big ? mark after losing Kaiden Bennett. But if you can throw 15 yards Ngata, Badger, and Hutton can do the rest.

With all that new imported talent I doubt they need anything more than a slightly above average QB. I’m hearing from the kids in the area the kid from WA is pretty good as is the kid they had (based on 7 on 7 games). The JV QB last year is huge and causes problems with his legs more then his arm due to the size differential. I’ve seen him a decent amount. He may play a second year at JV given who they have already.

Reactions: concrete17
Ridge- I'm been watching the program pretty religiously since the first Graves who went to Hawaii. May 15 years or so? When is the last time they've had an average QB though? I want to say they've had a scholarship kid who has ever started in that program since then. Hawaii, Cal Poly 2x, Washington, Boise State... Maybe I'm missing somebody but I gotta think the next kid will be anything but average. Also isn't the transfer from Wash who's brother is going to CAL only a Soph?

I think the JV kid name is DJ or something like that. Great athlete. Very good basketball player as well. Played varsity as a Frosh. He goes at least 6"3 220. Most likely natural position is at LB or DE but certainly a college prospect at this point. And who knows at QB. Extremely talented.

Reactions: concrete17
Ridge- I'm been watching the program pretty religiously since the first Graves who went to Hawaii. May 15 years or so? When is the last time they've had an average QB though? I want to say they've had a scholarship kid who has ever started in that program since then. Hawaii, Cal Poly 2x, Washington, Boise State... Maybe I'm missing somebody but I gotta think the next kid will be anything but average. Also isn't the transfer from Wash who's brother is going to CAL only a Soph?

I think the JV kid name is DJ or something like that. Great athlete. Very good basketball player as well. Played varsity as a Frosh. He goes at least 6"3 220. Most likely natural position is at LB or DE but certainly a college prospect at this point. And who knows at QB. Extremely talented.

Agreed, all I was trying to point out was all they need to roll other teams is an average QB with all the talent they have at RB and WR.

They clearly have three above average QB's in their system now, so I expect them to out talent everyone they play this season.

To me, the only wildcard they have is coaching. They lost the brain trust that positioned them to take advantage of every team they faced. Doherty is a good coach but there are coaches in the area that have beat him before (albeit he had less talent than he does now).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT