ADVERTISEMENT

Davis Forfeits Game(S) against Folsom

Folsom's homecoming or Davis's?

If it's Davis' homecoming, you'd think they would have it against a team they can beat.

If it's Folsom's, why would they have chosen that game for h'coming? So their fans can get home early for parties after they go running-clock on 'em?

It’s outrageous to have Davis in the SFL in the first place. I get that other sports Davis can compete but their football program has never been good. Who couldn’t see this coming?!
Not true. Their football program was one of the very best in the SJS in the 80's and early 90's. One could actually say they were the Folsom of the SJS back then.

embarrassing and sad. this is exactly my point of why the sierra foothill league is no longer at the top of north california. the sjs had something perfect and ruined it.

Garrison and the section is to blame. I actually feel bad for the kids. Many will call them soft or cowards. The reality is Davis has NO business being in the SFL for football. Garrison knows this and did nothing. Here’s another thing people may not realize. Programs and schools rely on football gate money and snack shack for funding. When Davis forfeits an away game that’s thousands of dollars schools rely on to fund other sports programs or football lost.

Modesto Christian is doing the same thing to the TVL.

Let the best large school vs best small school challenge.

10/4 Jesuit vs Ripon Christian
10/11 Rocklin vs Escalon
10/18 Oak Ridge vs Hilmar
10/25 Granite Bay vs Sonora
11/1 DelOro vs Hughson

Reactions: M.C. fan
Not true. Their football program was one of the very best in the SJS in the 80's and early 90's. One could actually say they were the Folsom of the SJS back then.

I was going to say the same thing. “Never” just isn’t accurate. At all.

I should have clarified, they haven’t been good for 3 decades.

Your clarification isn’t correct either. While they’ve consistently been a losing program this millennium, they did manage go 10-2 in 2019.

Folsom has to play MD this weekend, the stars are aligned. Let the transfers off a week early and have at it.

Despite whatever they might be saying to the contrary, you know Folsom really wants no part of that matchup. At all.

And who can blame them? The likes of MD, SJB, IMG, and Bishop Gorman draw in out-of-area, top-shelf, front running talent at a level Folsom could only dream about. They’d be getting a taste of the talent disadvantage most their local area opponents try to overcome playing against them.

Historically they’ve yet to show a willingness to subject themselves to a potential running clock in the other direction against a program that also has no shame in running up the score in the final minutes with a 30+ point lead. Don’t expect that to change any time soon.

^^ I’m really hoping for a reverse jinx by stating the above, but in no way will I hold my breath.

please pull Davis out of the SFL. So dumb.
How is Davis in the SFL in the first place?

I don’t think there was a single person here that didn’t believe Davis’ addition to the SFL (specifically for football) was a horrendous decision. And this latest development makes it even worse.

Objectively speaking, I completely understand why Davis wouldn’t want to schedule or play Folsom. The vast majority of area programs shouldn’t want to play them. Because it’s largely kids from a local community (closed-boundary) facing off against a metro all-star team with no boundaries.

Remember the “optimist game”? Well, Folsom’s roster makeup is the equivalent of the North Optimist team versus Davis HS. There’s no winning that type of situation, just degrees of losing.

Having said that, why didn’t Davis strongly protest or otherwise refuse the move to the SFL? Why accept the move when you know Folsom resides in that league? Furthermore, why didn’t the SFL push back? Perhaps all parties did and it wasn’t made so public?

Regardless, this is well beyond simply being a “bad look” for Davis, the SFL, and the SJS.

Perhaps more info will come to light to better explain the decision beyond just being overmatched to the point of not wanting to compete. Because if that’s what this is all about then Davis’ inclusion in the SFL for football needs to be revoked and rectified before next season, not next realignment period.

Last edited:
Modesto Christian is doing the same thing to the TVL.

Let the best large school vs best small school challenge.

10/4 Jesuit vs Ripon Christian
10/11 Rocklin vs Escalon
10/18 Oak Ridge vs Hilmar
10/25 Granite Bay vs Sonora
11/1 DelOro vs Hughson
Yes, the young team with few players (14) were asked to leave the TVL. Brice Fantazia the AD allowed for the move for couple years until we can reboot or decide what is best for MC football. We play hoops in Tri-City and the current team needs to schedule schools that meet the size and talent level. Go Crusaders!!

Reactions: pantera-cat
Yes, the young team with few players (14) were asked to leave the TVL. Brice Fantazia the AD allowed for the move for couple years until we can reboot or decide what is best for MC football. We play hoops in Tri-City and the current team needs to schedule schools that meet the size and talent level. Go Crusaders!!
Can’t blame the kids here at all. The departure of the head coach so close to season was the main reason. He should never be allowed to coach again. As for this season, all 14 kids should get the option to transfer to neighboring Gregori. A walk thru an almond orchard away. Good luck on the rebuild.

putting modesto chrisian basketball in the TRI city league is an equally stupid move by the sacramento sjs section. TRI means three. meaning the league should only be allowed to have a maximum of three cities represented. the three cities are stockton lodi and tracy. words have meanings except apparently to the "people" who run sacramento sjs.

***IF*** Davis did back out of the game on their own accord, then shame on the Davis adults in the room. Both teams should have an opportunity to play this week. Timing is the enemy in situations like these...It is much more difficult to find a game the week of, than in February/March.

Other scenarios are also possible (I have zero direct knowledge of the situation). I just hope that the Davis adults didn't do such a thing to the kids of Folsom and the kids of Davis this late without their hands being tied by a sickness/injury scenario.

Reactions: WWHS44 and THEOC89
well...

i'm under the impression that davis was completely on board with the move out of delta to the sfl. I think the thought is fb will suck, but we want to be in a better league for our other sports.

fb only leagues is the long term solution; that was talked about extensively in the realignment meetings, and it was determined that they need to study it and do it right, if that's the way it's going to go. I tend to agree with that sentiment. and the board's decision was to revisit the issue in 2 years, to get something in place for the next realignment cycle.

To be clear, there was discussion of fb only conference with an A and B league, with relegation, and an administrator had a whole plan in place with agreement from all of the proposed schools. It was a very fascinating read, found on the cifsjs.org website... all of the minutes are there.

It is a shame that Davis backed out... and they should receive sanctions if they can't justify it with an injury excuse... but again, I understand that Davis wanted the move into the sfl. They certainly did not voice any objection.

Instead of posting on Twitter all Folsom has to do is pick up the phone and Call MD…. They are open this week….

If Folsom really wants the game it’s there for them….
Agree. And the way things are playing out this year Folsom could get locked out of the open if DLS runs the table. Might as well play for your state champ now. This would be huge.

I don't remember teams being asked to leave in the past. Interesting dynamic. One of my favorite teams to watch was that Modesto Christian state title team with Burse

well...

i'm under the impression that davis was completely on board with the move out of delta to the sfl. I think the thought is fb will suck, but we want to be in a better league for our other sports.

fb only leagues is the long term solution; that was talked about extensively in the realignment meetings, and it was determined that they need to study it and do it right, if that's the way it's going to go. I tend to agree with that sentiment. and the board's decision was to revisit the issue in 2 years, to get something in place for the next realignment cycle.

To be clear, there was discussion of fb only conference with an A and B league, with relegation, and an administrator had a whole plan in place with agreement from all of the proposed schools. It was a very fascinating read, found on the cifsjs.org website... all of the minutes are there.

It is a shame that Davis backed out... and they should receive sanctions if they can't justify it with an injury excuse... but again, I understand that Davis wanted the move into the sfl. They certainly did not voice any objection.

If what you say is true, there is no excuse for Davis. Bushleague move to accept the move then to forfeit week of.

Maybe they are still upset that Jonah Williams transferred over to Folsom a decade ago. Lol. Who knows,

Agree. And the way things are playing out this year Folsom could get locked out of the open if DLS runs the table. Might as well play for your state champ now. This would be huge.
folsom is happy about being "locked out" of the open they've been finding ways to stay out of it for over a decade at this point. they would much rather stay in 1a and beat up on lower level san diego teams.

Reactions: Norcalguy111
Joe Davidson reporting Folsom spoke to MD this morning and they want the week off to prepare for TL. At least they tried!
Kudos to Folsom for making the call!…. Tough to schedule a game that far away in the middle of the season on short notice with league play coming up in such a difficult league….

Who knows though, maybe this opens the door for the teams to play next year….

Kudos to Folsom for making the call!…. Tough to schedule a game that far away in the middle of the season on short notice with league play coming up in such a difficult league….

Who knows though, maybe this opens the door for the teams to play next year….
Folsom needs one of the following on their schedule next year: MD, SJB, C10, or MV. Plain and simple.

joe d also reporting:
1. reason is injuries/player safety... legit.
"Davis administrators asked the CIF for the league switch to be with decades-long rival Jesuit, particularly in sports not called football. Jesuit also moved into the SFL."

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/article292897674.html#storylink=cpy

which sounds like: davis wanted to switch, as long as they could stay with jesuit, but ideally not for football, but since the realignment committee didn't do the fb exception, they'll just go along with it.

i'll just say, reading all of the minutes, I don't remember any objection from Davis re: being placed in the sfl.

Reactions: THEOC89
Folsom needs one of the following on their schedule next year: MD, SJB, C10, or MV. Plain and simple.
folsum is nowhere near good enough to justify any of those matchups. neither team would get anything out of it.

would like to see them play lincoln san diego or a team like la serba or corona del mar next year those would all be grate match up

GUYS...Many years ago, College Park backed out of a game with DLS, it was a case of not a good College Park Football team verse the DLS which would have steamed rollered CP and the Coach did not any part of a beating that DLS would applied on CP...

GUYS...Many years ago, College Park backed out of a game with DLS, it was a case of not a good College Park Football team verse the DLS which would have steamed rollered CP and the Coach did not any part of a beating that DLS would applied on CP...
and community college park has been looked at as a joke of a program ever sense. so i’m not quite sure you’re making the point you think you’re.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT