ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle wins EBAL opener

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
De La Salle used an 11-0 start and led by double digits much of the night on its way to a 51-37 win over Monte Vista in the East Bay Athletic League opener for both teams.

Monte Vista, which has lost 3-star senior Austin Fadal due to injury, missed its first six shots and were whistled for two offensive fouls en route to its scoreless start. The Mustangs closed the first quarter down 14-6, but a 9-2 De La Salle run pushed it back to double digits and Monte Vista never got it back under 10.

The Spartans used a tried and true formula of pressuring the ball, constant player movement and timely shooting to bounce back from a 1-3 showing in Hawaii to end the 2016 calendar year. De La Salle outscored Monte Vista 15-6 (+9) at the three point line and 10-5 (+5) from the free throw line.

Colby Orr, Eric Headley, Connor O'dea and Justin Pratt each scored 10 points. Kevin Savarini had seven points and Emeka Udenyi had four points after battling foul trouble in the first half.

Ashton Rust (8 points) and Kris Bortz (5 points) scored 13 of Monte Vista's 17 first half points, but went scoreless over the final 16 minutes. Brandon Drury had eight points off the bench. With the loss of Fadal, the Mustangs relied on the post-up game.

Nine of the last 11 North Coast Section Division I champions have been De La Salle or Monte Vista.

Like we talked about without Fadal I really think this is a DLS and Dublin race with Dublin the favorite. Dublin beat a pretty down Foothill team by about 20 in the opener for them.

Folsom beat a very "down" Oak Ridge team by 20 in the opener of the SFL. Its possible OR could go winless in the league this year. Its going to be a very long year for them as they rebuild that program under coach Sondhi.

De La Salle has some solid guards and Udenyi as a facilitator, but the overall talent level is down. I agree that Dublin is the best team in the league.

Surprised by the struggles of Oak Ridge. They have some pieces.

De La is loaded, 4 guys scored in double figures while MV’s top scorer was held to 8.

I missed the Dublin / Foothill game but can’t imagine the ending score reflects the contest. Did anyone see it? Tied going into the 4th and Dublin outscores them by 18. How did Foothill look? Is Smith back?

EBAL looks to be a 2 team race with DLS & Dublin. As expected, Amador walked over Livermore and DV beat Cal.

Friday will be interesting to see how SRV looks against DLS and if MV can bounce back vs DV. Predictions for this Friday – Dublin, DLS, MV, & AV get the Wins

Nate, DLS was loaded last year. They lost two college players. One to WCC and one too a D2 power Cal Poly Pomona.
I think they are still good but nowhere near what we are use to. Do they play hard? Hell yeah. Are they well coached with Argenal now? You bet. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Dublin but I wouldn't bet on it. Udenhi is a nice player who should end up at a high d2. He would be a great player at a Chico, Humboldt, or CPP.

Dublin vs Dela should be a great game and a war! Dela is very physical.

MV over DV (is SImri back for DV)
Amador vs Granada should be a close game
Dela over SR
Cal has shooters everywhere , they could surprise some teams.

Interestingly, DLS only plays Dublin once this year, Jan. 26 at DLS. Wonder why there's no home-and-home?

I would not be surprised if that game Jan 26 between DLS vs dublin gets moved
To a bigger venue (st Mary's or eastbay) that game is going to be insane.

Reactions: concrete17
Interestingly, DLS only plays Dublin once this year, Jan. 26 at DLS. Wonder why there's no home-and-home?
Dublin is in the 'south' and DLS is in the 'north'. the two divisions are playing home-and-home (that's 8 games) within the division, and one intra-divisional game (home or away) for 13 total games.

Okay... The division thing is logical... I've seen other leagues do that in the past, and I think even the Pac-12 does it, too.

As far as DLS moving the game... Would be reallllllllyyyyy nice to see that happen, but they've played league games vs. Monte Vista that sold out well ahead of time and never even *considered* moving any of those games (as far as I know, anyway). Those rivalry games could have easily sold another 500-1000 tickets (or even more, maybe), but the head honchos didn't budge at all.

This is my 5th season back in Calif. and I'm still waiting for the first time I get to see DLS play MV in-person at home. I've managed to get in at MV a couple times... but not in Spartyland. I didn't even *try* to get in this time... Had other stuff to do.

BIG news for those who want to make sure they can get into the DLS-Dublin game...

DLS is now selling tickets ONLINE to all games! (except the MLK showcase at St. Mary's, which shouldn't be difficult to get into anyway)

Go here: https://prepmo.com/schools/de-la-salle-high-school-concord-ca-tickets/
https://prepmo.com/schools/de-la-salle-high-school-concord-ca-tickets/
Scroll down a bit until you see the Jan. 26 date. Select the # of tix you want, print 'em on your own printer. $1.00 service charge, but well worth it to avoid all the calling and driving and showing up early only to be stoned, etc.

p.s. I waited until I had my ticket in-hand before I let y'all in on this :)

Reactions: concrete17
BIG news for those who want to make sure they can get into the DLS-Dublin game...

DLS is now selling tickets ONLINE to all games! (except the MLK showcase at St. Mary's, which shouldn't be difficult to get into anyway)

Go here: https://prepmo.com/schools/de-la-salle-high-school-concord-ca-tickets/
Scroll down a bit until you see the Jan. 26 date. Select the # of tix you want, print 'em on your own printer. $1.00 service charge, but well worth it to avoid all the calling and driving and showing up early only to be stoned, etc.

p.s. I waited until I had my ticket in-hand before I let y'all in on this :)

Thanks for the tip Big Guy.......got my tickets.

One note is that each ticket requires a "name" which is printed on the ticket.
Below the actual ticket under Terms of Service #1 says Please present your ID at gate.
Hopefully the $2 bill taped to my forehead still works if I happen to use my wife's ticket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT