ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro scrimmage

smashmouthrick

Hall of Famer
Sep 7, 2006
Newcastle Ca.
DO is scrimmaging with CBS this morning. AQI looks good so expect them to play.

Unfortunately I’m out of state and can not attend.

RR, DOFB_Dad or other DO fans please post your observations if you attended. Thanks :)

I’m most interested in how they do on defense with new DC Josh Parry(former NFL player) and any new defensive schemes they deploy.

I’m most interested in how they do on defense with new DC Josh Parry(former NFL player) and any new defensive schemes they deploy.

Interesting hire, for sure.

Parry was a stud 2-way player on Sonora's 1995 undefeated DII Section title team -- when they coincidentally beat Del Oro in the Final. That was a Golden Eagles team with Randy Fasani under center as a junior. Both teams were 12-0 coming in. Sonora won it easily by 3 TD's with what was likely the best team they ever fielded.

2 future NFL players on the UOP field that day in Fasani and Parry. And Central Catholic's Coach Canepa -- who now has 230+ wins as a HC -- was Sonora's d-coordinator.

Boy, how time flies ....

Kids love Parry. Super Bowl fullback so pedigree at the highest level.

DO defense was very good today. A couple pics, some turnovers, stops on both the varsity and JV level.

Lots of speed on Varsity. I’d say they’ve adapted quickly however Parry and the other defensive coaches were coaching from the sidelines on nearly every play with corrections or accolades or both.....Parry is good at that part.

CB is pretty good but they didn’t really get going till the backups were playing for DO on both levels.

Freshman scrimmage was a little more even. Slow start for DO kids. Couldn’t move the ball for some time. They picked later. CB dropped LOTS of open passes.

Air quality was decent early.

CB hosts were gracious and friendly as always.

Casey Taylor was down the CB sidelines during the JV game and in CB stands during varsity. CC plays CB later in the season.

Good indication today that varsity will be damn good and JV good this season.

Last edited:
Kids love Parry. Super Bowl fullback so pedigree at the highest level.

DO defense was very good today. A couple pics, some turnovers, stops on both the varsity and JV level.

Lots of speed on Varsity. I’d say they’ve adapted quickly however Parry and the other defensive coaches were coaching from the sidelines on nearly every play with corrections or accolades or both.....Parry is good at that part.

CB is pretty good but they didn’t really get going till the backups were playing for DO on both levels.

Freshman scrimmage was a little more even. Slow start for DO kids. Couldn’t move the ball for some time. They picked later. CB dropped LOTS of open passes.

Air was decent early.

CB hosts were gracias and friendly as always.

Casey Taylor was down the CB sidelines during the JV game and in CB stands during varsity. CC plays CB later in the season.

Thanks RR for the breakdown.

We should have some of the fastest CB’s DO has had in a long time. Very interested to see how kids adapt to Parry. Good to know he is motivating them.

How did run game look?

Thanks RR for the breakdown.

We should have some of the fastest CB’s DO has had in a long time. Very interested to see how kids adapt to Parry. Good to know he is motivating them.

How did run game look?

JV run game was dominating as CB could not handle the size, speed, and strength of their main running back.

His older brother who will feature as the main running threat on Varsity was on the sidelines yesterday, looks like an injury to a hand.

Varsity running game was just ok. They didn’t really feature it on both levels. JV would have literally run CB over if they had. JV QB is fast, very efficient and didn’t throw a single bad pass even when throwing in motion across his body.

All four DO varsity QB’s lead them to scores. The play calling was a lot of throwing, running was not the main focus, but they did run and used the featured back in the passing game as well. I think they will be fine in the run game this year.

Some RPO plays were highly effective. #2 QB can run and adds a dimension they don’t have as much with #1. I can see them going to #2 QB at times to keep the defenses on their toes and keep them making adjustments. He will give them fits.

One thing that was evident is the JV team is small in terms of squad size.

One of the indicators of varsity’s depth of athletes was a great play on special teams by a kid who got through on a kick and was inches away from making a spectacular full stretch dive for the ball, nearly downing it on the 6” inch line. He’s on ST, it’s a scrimmage. Athletes everywhere.

Last edited:
I have a cousin playing JV over there this season. I'll be following them best I can. Good to hear that they looked good today.

TR for some reason ya’ll seem too old to have a cuzz in high school.

and why they passin so much, they aint no folsom!

Couldn't make the CB scrimmage. Got a couple good reports. D.O.'s defense will be its strength early season and probably all year, reminds me of the 2011 defense with size, speed, confidence, leadership. Everything already said about Coach Parry spot on from talking to the boys. I like the preseason schedule with the Honor Bowl contest vs good Oak Grove program, home vs the dangerous Dragons, and 2 others that the boys should DOminate and sharpen the offensive iron. QB1 Jarrett's arm strength and size are really impressive, limiting mistakes will key his success running the OFF, & future beyond HS, QB2 Pericin is good, generally mistake free, RPO and gives DO excellent alt options. The Core seniors leading the team are flat out winners, will need that mindset and alot more on 10/26, looking forward to a miracle upset. Hurst, Guzman, & Smart are the OFF go to guys, I like Guzman's hgt and vertical that compliment sprinter speed, he and Hurst will be making big plays on O/D/STs. Def studs include all metro's Martinson DL, Hurst CB, Guzman & Pericin S's, LB Rogers. Also like speed and aggressiveness of Moore CB & Westlake LB. Last guy to mention is all metro K Whalley, wildcard. Look for him to come through big again, i.e. the Lincoln FG, er kick to the groin.

Last edited:
Lots of speed on Varsity.
Been a long time since DO has had two speedsters at DB. Both Hurst(Sr. & 3yr varsity starter) & Conde(Jr.) @DB and both are fast and with good cover instincts. Can they shut down an Ngata? No but I expect tighter coverage & pics from them on average.

I expect DO to be more competitive this year than last year.

Birch was a successful long time DC that took DO to 4 state games but looks like the team is already responding to new DC. Where last year the new HC was an X-factor we have another X-factor this year with the DC, hopefully upside.

D.O.'s defense will be its strength early season and probably all year, reminds me of the 2011 defense with size, speed, confidence, leadership. Everything already said about Coach Parry spot on from talking to the boys.
Def studs include all metro's Martinson DL, Hurst CB, Guzman & Pericin S's, LB Rogers. Also like speed and aggressiveness of Moore CB & Westlake LB.
DC has a good squad to work with. Hope D takes them deep this year.

Reactions: RidgeRider
TR for some reason ya’ll seem too old to have a cuzz in high school.

It's a younger 1st cousin's stepson. :D

When I say that, it makes me immediately think of this classic line from Ferris Bueller's Day Off:
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night.

Great stuff on Del Oro. Would love to see the game between GB and Del Oro. GB's defense is getting no love. My thought is that they will be very good if their offense can keep them off the field. You'd figure the run focus of GB's offense will do that. Should be an epic rivalry battle.

ya’ll right, da kids love new dc and scheme he bringin in, hc is still big x-factor question mark, but boy they loaded with skill, fast

Reactions: RidgeRider
Great stuff on Del Oro. Would love to see the game between GB and Del Oro. GB's defense is getting no love. My thought is that they will be very good if their offense can keep them off the field. You'd figure the run focus of GB's offense will do that. Should be an epic rivalry battle.

The question mark with GB is can they reload. They graduated a ton of talent but they always have a good pipeline, especially lately.

RR heard their lower level numbers are down, true?

The freshman squad has 50+ from my vantage point, good size squad.

JV squad looks short on numbers, maybe 22-24. JV level was short on numbers last season when freshman. Smaller this year than last based on my eyes.

Varsity has depth and plenty on the team.

The question mark with GB is can they reload. They graduated a ton of talent but they always have a good pipeline, especially lately.

I think the answer will be yes on defense....amazingly enough. They had a great defense last year. And I suspect they will be equally good this year.

On offense, they are going to be able to run the football. And, from my perspective, while they had to replace the QB, I don't really see much of a difference there when compared to last year. It is not like the team has been much of a throwing team anyway.

This is an interesting year for Grante Bay and if they can have continued success post Ernie Cooper. Took lumps with the 2018 class early but they developed into a heck of a group. Do they have infrastructure to remain high or will they have more peaks and valleys?

This is an interesting year for Grante Bay and if they can have continued success post Ernie Cooper. Took lumps with the 2018 class early but they developed into a heck of a group. Do they have infrastructure to remain high or will they have more peaks and valleys?

I'd say peaks and valleys. I think they have a hard time getting kids to be 100% committed to football. Other places are going to play football year around.

2018 class took early lumps? You mean as juniors?

Ernie coached the freshman last year, so he is still around and influencing the future. He's a great coach.

I hear HC Evans won a lot of support after last season. I think 2017 was the low of lows for that program with a tough season. I understand the senior talent of that group was not up to par and they started a lot of juniors, which is why I think they were so good last season.

I trust Trojan's view that they have the talent to reload and be as talented as last year which speaks to their pipeline.

Ernie coached the freshman last year, so he is still around and influencing the future. He's a great coach.

And a great strength and conditioning guy. They had a significant advantage due to their weight room work. But, watch out, I hear another team in the league has a former Olympic weight lifter running their strength and conditioning now. The rich got richer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT