ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro showed out

Knock Heads

Superstar
Aug 17, 2017
Granite Bay has a very good defense. Did not see the game but I have to say I'm impressed with the score. Not surprised that Del Oro won but impressed they scored that much on GB's defense. From my perspective, Del Oro is above Oak Ridge in the SFL rankings at this point. This group of Del Oro seniors were champions year in and year out since they were 9 years old. No surprise they are good now. It will be very interesting to be in Loomis when Folsom comes to town.

impressive win by DO. GB always brings it defensively. I don't mean to take anything away from anybody in the SFL but I just don't see a close game with Folsom. Has nothing to do with DO. We are witnessing arguable the greatest team from these parts at least in the last 20-25 years. DO will be fortunate to not have a running clock.

Reactions: Dan12Kings
impressive win by DO. GB always brings it defensively. I don't mean to take anything away from anybody in the SFL but I just don't see a close game with Folsom. Has nothing to do with DO. We are witnessing arguable the greatest team from these parts at least in the last 20-25 years. DO will be fortunate to not have a running clock.

Agreed, this is arguably the best group of athletes that DO has maybe ever had but not anywhere near Folsom. Granite Bay is down this year. DO defense swarmed them all night and backups were in the game by 4th quarter. I have tons of respect for GB. They have great coaching and are always as prepared as anyone but the talent difference was evident.

Loomis is just hoping Folsom will be tired by the last game of the regular season from running up and down the field all night every weekend. ;)

Last edited:
They ran up and down against ALMOST every team, except in their first game. It really would have been great to have had Folsom play SJB or MD this regular season, but that takes a team really wanting to make that happen.

Reactions: THEOC89
If y’all didnt see da game, it was del oro defense all night, da new DC making it happen, got athletes and da sceme to shut teams down, much differnt look on D, 2 piks and 2 fumbles set up easy scores and block punt for 6, granite bay not very good dis yesr, real small.

If y’all didnt see da game, it was del oro defense all night, da new DC making it happen, got athletes and da sceme to shut teams down, much differnt look on D, 2 piks and 2 fumbles set up easy scores and block punt for 6, granite bay not very good dis yesr, real small.
Isn't DO's new D.C. The kid from Sonora high?

Reactions: RidgeRider
They ran up and down against ALMOST every team, except in their first game. It really would have been great to have had Folsom play SJB or MD this regular season, but that takes a team really wanting to make that happen.

Folsom had a shot they chose to not play Bosco but I’m sure you knew that already

Reactions: THEOC89

GB also one dimensional. Can't pass it.

Yes, agreed that Friday night's win over GB was truly impressive. I was shocked when I saw the score. Not because I believe GB is really any good, but because I was skeptical how much DO had improved from the past couple years.

GB has an inconsistent offense, but their defense is still pretty solid. The beat down DO put on them should certainly raise eyebrows. The Golden Eagles might prove to be the clear cut #2 in the SFL and might possibly surprise and play a competitive game against #1.

I'm curious to hear @smashmouthrick take on their season thus far.

del oro got best athletes ever, defense winnin da ball games, scemes so so good, offense not as good, scattered, special teams have scores nearly every game, same with def, coach parry is makin it happen, gonna test folsom not beat em, #2 in sfl

With such a soft pre-league schedule it has been hard to gauge how good DO is... then they played Granite Bay.

No question GB is down in talent and size this year but Friday GB played disciplined defense they just got pushed around. Fundamentally I thought GB's defense executed well, good schemes for the situations but they just lost the physical battle. DO won the battle of the pits on both sides and on special teams.

What I learned about DO in this game is:
  • Maybe the most balanced DO team I have seen in the ~20years I've followed them meaning offense, defense and special teams are all very good. I'm not claiming this team is better than the 2009 or 2015 teams as we won't know that until their season ends but they are at least in the conversation at this point
  • They score from on all aspects of their game, O run/pass, D pic-6's and ST KO returns/Punt returns/blocked punts/KO TB's/etc. If you look at their scoring numbers and how they scored over their past 5 games you will see that their number of scores and how they scored are pretty consistent which means that they did not skip much of a beat in production vs GB
  • They are playing consistent ball and one reason that contributes to this is they have depth this year. One of DO's best DL's was injured and did not play 2nd half and saw little drop off in DL performance. DO started pulling starters 2minutes into the 3rd quarter with almost complete 2nd string by 4th qtr
  • Like most teams they are improving with each game and while I don't want to get ahead of myself I believe that they do have some decent upside potential but this will play out over the next 6weeks
I think the Oak Ridge/DO game is shaping up to be one of the better SFL matches this year and I think DO will be "more" up to the task to compete with OR than in the past few years. DO also will be coming off a bye week when they play OR so will have HUDL'd more on OR and be more fresh.

With such a soft pre-league schedule it has been hard to gauge how good DO is... then they played Granite Bay.
....and its still hard to gauge. GB is not good. Small, no speed, no fly back. DO defense under new DC has them swarming and scoring every game. Their D and STs score 2-3 times every game. Oak Ridge and Folsom will be only true tests until playoffs.

....and its still hard to gauge. GB is not good. Small, no speed, no fly back. DO defense under new DC has them swarming and scoring every game. Their D and STs score 2-3 times every game. Oak Ridge and Folsom will be only true tests until playoffs.
GB was DO’s best gauge so far. GB’s D is much better than their O so I have a better feel where DO’s O is at vs D but overall I stick to I think all 3 aspects of DO’s game are solid.

Agree OR will be the best match to measure where DO is at. Not sure what last game will tell us about DO as Folsom is simply at another level. DO had 0 D1’s.

Thanks for the write up @smashmouthrick. When I saw that score, I was definitely surprised. I expected DO to win, but not by the score I saw. Sounds like a very dominating performance. I think they can beat OR if they continue playing like that. We'll see.

Thanks for the write up @smashmouthrick. When I saw that score, I was definitely surprised. I expected DO to win, but not by the score I saw. Sounds like a very dominating performance. I think they can beat OR if they continue playing like that. We'll see.
Welcome TR. l thought GB’s O would do better. Lack of size IMO is probably GB’s biggest challenge this year.

Welcome TR. l thought GB’s O would do better. Lack of size IMO is probably GB’s biggest challenge this year.

This size issue was discussed earlier in the season and one poster indicated GB had a pretty big offensive line. He actually posted the weights which probably averaged about 265-275. Maybe the lost some players.

What I keep hearing is that they cannot pass the ball making them one dimensional.

They sure did nail Jesuit though. I'm sure the Sac Bee will be declaring Jesuit the second best team in the area by season's end despite it.

This size issue was discussed earlier in the season and one poster indicated GB had a pretty big offensive line. He actually posted the weights which probably averaged about 265-275. Maybe the lost some players.

What I keep hearing is that they cannot pass the ball making them one dimensional.

They sure did nail Jesuit though. I'm sure the Sac Bee will be declaring Jesuit the second best team in the area by season's end despite it.

I remember the same post. They’re nowhere near those sizes claimed. I hear they have some injuries on the team but don’t know who is injured.

I remember the same post. They’re nowhere near those sizes claimed. I hear they have some injuries on the team but don’t know who is injured.
Yes, both GB lines were small. GB gave up easy scores starting with that blocked punt. The Del Oro defense has stood out the most, but again who have they really played? OR and Folsom will be good measuring sticks for playoffs.

What I keep hearing is that they cannot pass the ball making them one dimensional....
I observed it first hand. Can't pass well because QB is pressured and QB not accurate.

...They sure did nail Jesuit though. I'm sure the Sac Bee will be declaring Jesuit the second best team in the area by season's end despite it.
The is the part about GB I'm SMH over. Was this a fortuitous matchup for GB, did GB play to their potential in this game, did Jesuit just have a very bad game?

Reactions: feedback1
I observed it first hand. Can't pass well because QB is pressured and QB not accurate.

The is the part about GB I'm SMH over. Was this a fortuitous matchup for GB, did GB play to their potential in this game, did Jesuit just have a very bad game?

I feel like because of the way GB plays offense, having a good QB will always be a challenge because they don’t really provide that position a platform to really show what they can do.

Reactions: smashmouthrick
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT