ADVERTISEMENT

Sac-Joaquin Round 3 Section D1-D2 Semifinal Matchups

M.C. fan

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2022
No major upsets last week in D1-D2 some close contests no doubt and now onto the Semifinals.
This week's playoff games showcase a few rematches from earlier in the year. A chance for a few unexpected squads to move-up.

D1- Folsom vs. Inderkum- The Tigers blasted Monterey Trail 50-21 and now have a chance to push the Bulldogs into the yard. Folsom still the favorite. 35-33
Central Catholic vs. Oak Ridge- The Trojans showed dominance over Turlock 45-6, The Raiders were slowed by The Vikings from Edison. Oak Ridge has a 50.9 calprep rating and best win this season was versus Del Oro 39.5 calprep. Central's best win was versus Manteca who has a 41.5 calprep rating. Central Catholic by a TD 24-17

D2- St. Mary's vs. Manteca- The Rams dominated the 1st round and crushed Vacaville Bears season allowing less than 100 yards total offense, who averaged 38 points per game the last 3 games. The Buffaloes surprised many by defeating Granite Bay twice at home. Manteca is now at full force. Rams are on a mission to get a State Crown. St. Mary's 24-22
Del Oro vs. Rocklin- The Eagles in a wild 40-34 3ot win at Jesuit might be their last soaring moment as they face
the Thunder of Rocklin who destroyed Downey. The Thunder continues the storm in a battle of SFL foes. Rocklin 31-30.

Reactions: THEOC89
Folsom beats Inderkum easily.
Oak Ridge beats CC in a close one.
St Mary’s comfortably beats Manteca.
Rocklin beats DO by a couple scores.

I wonder how many of these will be on NFHS. I was set to drive up from Turlock to Oak Ridge and had already bought my ticket when I got a notice Friday morning that the game was going to be streamed. So I decided not to make the trip and of course the game was not shown due to some sort of technical problem, I assume. In light of what happened I am glad I didn't make the trip but I would have at least liked to watch the game even though it wasn't close. This is not an uncommon problem with NFHS. For a number of years Turlock has had their home games on NorCal Sports Tv and the quality has been very good, even has instant replay, and there hasn't been any technical problems. And no charge for the games as they are sponsored locally, plus they are shown live on Youtube (and archived there too).

D1

Inderkum’s offense is on fire. But, if there is a defense in the SJS then can put out that fire it would be the Bulldogs from Folsom. Yet, let’s not forget the Folsom struggled a bit vs Granite Bay. Calpreps has Folsom winning this game 44-21. I’m going to go on a limb with this one and ride with the red hot Tigers from Inderkum keeping it much closer. Anticipate a shootout. 35-34 with the Tigers going for the 2pt conversion but coming up short (vs settling it in OT). Folsom wins.

Oak Ridge has a HUGE line! Central Catholic has some SIZE too! Calpreps says OR beats CC 31-24. I say Raiders pull off the D1 upset and win 28-24, with home field an advantage.

It will be Folsom vs Central Catholic for the SJS D1 section championship.

D2

St. Mary’s indeed beat Manteca 44-7 early on in the season. But that win was without Manteca’s bell cow, Bryson Davis. Davis is averaging over 216 yards a game. That’s HUGE! The Rams run defense is strong. Not saying Manteca’s Davis is going to get stopped by the Rams D. But, I anticipate the Rams defense is going to do just enough to slow him down and keep him under 150 yards, similar to what Granite Bay did (held him to 143 yards on 28 carries). More important if Rams QB Samson Hunkin can play like he has lately with confidence and connect with his WRs/TE and even Carter coming out of the backfield, the Rams offense is going to be hard to stop, just as they were in the first meeting. Only this time it might be harder as Hunkin’s confidence is much better. Plus, there is just too much speed. I anticipate a much closer game with Manteca finding more opps to score and keeping the Rams offense off of the field in controlling the clock, with Davis. Plus, Manteca has been wanting this rematch big-time, especially with Davis back. But, Rams D and QB Hunkin along with Carter and Maghoney in the backfield are going to be too much to stop or slow down “again” and the Rams move onto the championship game winning 35-17.

Rocklin vs Del Oro is another rematch. Rocklin had defeated Del Oro 35-14 about a month ago. I’m anticipating similar results, with Rocklin winning by 2-3 TDs. I just think Rocklin has more depth on offense and defense, whereas, Del Oro is so dependent on their young QB phenom. Del Oro vs Jesuit was a great game. But, neither team is at the level of Rocklin. Rocklin did struggle vs Granite Bay needing 3OT to win late in the regular season, just as Del Oro needed 3OT to beat Jesuit. So, maybe DO makes this a closer game. I’m taking Rocklin winning 35-21.

It will be Rocklin vs St. Mary’s for the SJS D2 section championship game.

Reactions: FBAddict
Folsom beats Inderkum easily.
Oak Ridge beats CC in a close one.
St Mary’s comfortably beats Manteca.
Rocklin beats DO by a couple scores.
I think these are pretty spot on but I could see Manteca playing at St Mary’s close especially with their stud RB healthy.

I see a SJS d1 rematch with folsom and OR again. I don’t think CC defense is good enough to keep the Trojans from scoring and OR has been super stingy all year on defense and I think they will get stops when needed. A lot of the CC guys go both ways and I think they will be worn down come late. I think this will be game of week and I plan on attending.

I’ve been really high on Rocklin after watching them in person a few times and I’m going to stick with my gut even though this is a rivalry game. Rocklin is really a well oiled machine and gets the job done against a resilient DO.

D1:

Folsom over Inderkum: A high scoring game where Folsom pulls away in the second half.

Oak Ridge over Central Catholic: Best game in these top two divisions, but I lean with the Trojans for a one possession win

D2:

St. Mary's over Manteca: Manteca will cause some problems physically for the Rams, but Rams have a big advantage on the outside and win again

Rocklin over Del Oro: Pinnick and Co are capable of pulling the upset, but I like the variety of ways Rocklin can win

Safe picks are Folsom, OR, St. Mary’s, Rocklin….

I got:

1) Inderkum

If their DLine is as good as advertised maybe they can put pressure on the QB. Then again he is a pretty decent runner lol Indy’s secondary might be the best in SJS. Friday will be a way to prove it…

2) CC

CC has a balanced attack. If they can beat OR in the air, they have a good chance of pulling off the upset. Then again OR is vying for a banner and their front 7 is legit!

3) Manteca:

Davis is the real deal! If the O line opens up holes, Manteca has a real shot. Bulldog has been quiet about St. Mary’s. Lol Which means they have section title and state championship banner in sight.

4) Rocklin:

Rocklin has been solid all year long. DO may have won there championship last week lol Then again this is a big rivalry game!

Safe picks are Folsom, OR, St. Mary’s, Rocklin….

I got:

1) Inderkum

If their DLine is as good as advertised maybe they can put pressure on the QB. Then again he is a pretty decent runner lol Indy’s secondary might be the best in SJS. Friday will be a way to prove it…

2) CC

CC has a balanced attack. If they can beat OR in the air, they have a good chance of pulling off the upset. Then again OR is vying for a banner and their front 7 is legit!

3) Manteca:

Davis is the real deal! If the O line opens up holes, Manteca has a real shot. Bulldog has been quiet about St. Mary’s. Lol Which means they have section title and state championship banner in sight.

4) Rocklin:

Rocklin has been solid all year long. DO may have won there championship last week lol Then again this is a big rivalry game!
Quiet indeed! LOL! Only 1 volume (above prior post) vs the normal multi-volume from me. One lesson I learned … NEVER ever again produce a YouTube “farce” video that wil aggravate and pump up the opposing team and totally backfire😉 !!!

Instead, I will wait patiently and anxiously in being on the sidelines (chain gang) for the Manteca @ St. Mary’s game. Before I had chain gang duty (pre 2010) I would be up in the stands making noise (obnoxious noise). Trust me! Many SM Rams fans including my wife (and opponents fans) appreciate me working the chains where I must be neutral and QUIET. Yet, every once in awhile, I can be caught sneaking a fist bump with my son (also works the chains with me) or with my other chain gang brothers, when the Rams score or make a big play. If I do open my mouth though, it will be a compliment towards the opposing team which I share the sideline with commending a great pass or play made by them. It’s all fun! It is just a game! And these are young men deserve respect and praise, even from the opposition. Love working the chains … BEST SEAT IN DA HOUSE!!!

And yes, these goals of a section title and another shot at state are well within my sights. Just hoping my prayers are answered and the Rams do their thing to get to the “ship”. One play at a time. One game at a time. GO RAMS!!!

Last edited:
Should Rocklin and St. Mary’s meet in the D2 championship game, that is going to be one heckuva game! Watching both teams play, they play very similarly all the way down to their short yardage play calling. True tossup, IMHO. I picture Rocklin as a younger version of St. Mary’s. Lots of skilled players, especially the QB position, size where you need it, speed where you need it, balanced offense and sound defense. Rocklin may be more battled tested having to go thru the SFL league, and IMHO, had every chance to beat Folsom and go into the playoffs undefeated if not for the costly mistakes which Folsom took advantage of. In common opponents (Tracy and Manteca “without Bryson Davis”), both teams dominated, maybe St. Mary’s a bit more. But, definitely Rocklin facing tougher league competition. Like I said, a tossup. I doubt either team is concerning themselves with this matchup. Instead, both teams are focused on their respective opponent this Friday.

Should Rocklin face Manteca instead of St. Mary’s, it means that (like for the first game between the Rams and Buffaloes) that first game between the Thunder and the Buffaloes means nada. It means just as St. Mary’s was challenged and beaten by Manteca with Bryson Davis, Manteca will feel confident they can do the same vs Rocklin. Davis was definitely a factor in Manteca beating Granite Bay for a second time. Rocklin did need 3OT to beat Carter and Granite Bay. I’d watch out for Manteca repeating as D2 champions.

Should Del Oro and St. Mary’s meet for the D2 title, it would mean Del Oro just beat a team very similar to St. Mary’s and you know their confidence will be up there. On the other side, St. Mary’s has not had great playoff experience going up against Del Oro will need to be on their guard and not let prior history get in the way. If anything the Rams should use it as a reason to want to prevail even more so. Nothing would be better than the opportunity for St. Mary’s to avenge the 2009 loss in the playoffs vs Del Oro. However, DO has one of the most talented if not indeed the #1 QB in the SJS who is a dual threat (Rams D kryptonite) and that could be scary for the Rams. Still, it’s not like a one man army vs a one man army like it was with DO and Jesuit. Rams have a ton of weapons and a ton of depth. This matchup will be another fun one to watch.

Ok, finally, and maybe the most remote chance of happening, should DO and Manteca defy the SJS football gods and play eachother for the D2 section championship, we once again have a good one. To think “both” surpassed the odds and together won their respective rematches to get to this point. Both teams will be hella confident and it will come down to … can DO stop Bryson Davis and can Manteca stop Caden Pinnick?

Wow! SJS D2 is prime for some really good football!

Quiet indeed! LOL! Only 1 volume (above prior post) vs the normal multi-volume from me. One lesson I learned … NEVER ever again produce a YouTube “farce” video that wil aggravate and pump up the opposing team and totally backfire😉 !!!

Instead, I will wait patiently and anxiously in being on the sidelines (chain gang) for the Manteca @ St. Mary’s game. Before I had chain gang duty (pre 2010) I would be up in the stands making noise (obnoxious noise). Trust me! Many SM Rams fans including my wife (and opponents fans) appreciate me working the chains where I must be neutral and QUIET. Yet, every once in awhile, I can be caught sneaking a fist bump with my son (also works the chains with me) or with my other chain gang brothers, when the Rams score or make a big play. If I do open my mouth though, it will be a compliment towards the opposing team which I share the sideline with commending a great pass or play made by them. It’s all fun! It is just a game! And these are young men deserve respect and praise, even from the opposition. Love working the chains … BEST SEAT IN DA HOUSE!!!

And yes, these goals of a section title and another shot at state are well within my sights. Just hoping my prayers are answered and the Rams do their thing to get to the “ship”. One play at a time. One game at a time. GO RAMS!!!
Indeed! The silence tells me something may be brewing hahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: bulldogmgc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT