ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro vs Rocklin

This was a true fumble, however, if a player deliberately did this on 4th down a heady official would call an illegal forward pass (spot foul). Much the same if a player tried to deliberately fumble out of bounds with no timeouts to conserve time (the same foul could be called). Unfortunately, your most inexperienced officials are on the flanks and the NCOA has numerous inexperienced officials.
Stand corrected. Meanwhile inexperienced officials need to determine if a fumble was intentional AND know the rule? LOL. Just spot the ball where fumble occurred!

Glad to hear they got that call right. I couldn't recall what the rule was in HS (I think it's changed over the years?).

Independent of this game, I don't believe an offense should benefit and advance field position from a fumble unless they actually recover the ball. It's a bad rule IMO. It should come back to the spot of the fumble.

The only rule I loathe more is the touch back rule when a ball is fumbled in and out of the end zone. I've never understood why the defense not only gains possession, but 20 yards of field position too. Horrible rule.

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT