ADVERTISEMENT

DLS vs Folsom Debate

There's no debate, no rivalry. DLS is in another universe right now compared to Folsom. These teams should meet in the playoffs every year. The best teams in So Cal slug it out every year for the top sectional championship in the country. Can you imagine how poor Nor Cal's record in state bowl games would be if So Cal sent Bosco, Mater Dei, Corona Centennial, and Mission Viejo to Sac State every year?

Reactions: Ca. Football rules
I've been following DLS since the late 80's. Played against them in HS and our team lost to the Pitt team that beat DLS in 1991. (the team with regan upshaw) I know a few things about the program. First, they are the class of HS football and always have been. The program that everybody aspires too be like. Year in and out there is a good distance between DLS and the next best in Norcal. With that said I think a couple of the Folsom teams could have gave DLS a run for their money. Folsom in 2014 was special. That would have been a battle. The Folsom team with Graves, Richardson, Trosin, and all those other guys that spanked Serra Gardena would have been a battle.

But hard to debate this since DLS has beaten Folsom and continues to play on a national stage and do well. That team DLS beat from DC was loaded. Impressive.

The fact that this thread was started, makes me proud. We are the only program in NorCal being talked about with DLS.

Humbling yet gratifying at the same time. Most public schools are struggling to compete in their league every year. You know you've made it when threads like this are started.

Go Folsom!

Wouldn't it be more gratifying to beat them? Or at least play them tough?
Sure. But as a parent, I unfortunately, am not involved in the scheduling. I do know it is tough sometimes since all of the top schools in Norcal (DLS, Folsom, etc....) have very limited weeks where open slots are available.

With that said- the team teams should make it happen more often. It would be a great measuring stick for us and would make many of you happy. l am all for it.

But can you imagine Folsom winning? This forum would break.

How about this: Folsom has the best public school football program in NorCal. DLS can enroll kids from all over the East Bay or anywhere for that matter. Folsom, for the most part, sticks to kids within its defined enrollment area. In other words, students who live in Stockton or Elk Grove don't attend Folsom. Students who live in Hayward or San Rafael can attend DLS. Again, it's apples and oranges, public vs. private. Folsom deserves major props for what it has accomplished within the enrollment restrictions (whether it's school or district boundaries) imposed on California public schools. Private schools are an entirely different ballgame.

For some reason, no matter how good Folsom is, DLS has their number.
They've played twice. And DLS never played Folsoms two best teams.

But Folsom did lose twice. Yes.

DLS is able to maintain the machine every year. They are a private school. Different rules. Folsom is generally subject to up and down years like most public school. So the better comparison would be Folsoms stronger squads against mostly any DLS team.

When comparing apples to oranges, you have to ensure each fruit is at least similar in color for an accurate comparison.

There's no debate, no rivalry. DLS is in another universe right now compared to Folsom. These teams should meet in the playoffs every year. The best teams in So Cal slug it out every year for the top sectional championship in the country. Can you imagine how poor Nor Cal's record in state bowl games would be if So Cal sent Bosco, Mater Dei, Corona Centennial, and Mission Viejo to Sac State every year?
Aren't all the SoCal schools you mention in the same division. D1 or Open candidates? Only one can go from each classification. Everybody knows there are more good teams in SoCal

De La Salle is the best Football program in Northern California. But as already mentioned, players come from all over the place to play there. De La Salle does NOT have a junior league, they depend on kids learning the game before they show up to the school OR they have to teach team as freshman..
Folsom, has the best public program in Northern California. And I am going to make the argument that Folsom's program is better for player development, which is the whole point right??, because they have a feeder program along with worlds better facilities. But its sort of like comparing a 9.8/10 to a 9.9/10, the end result will be unnoticeably similar if not the same.
Everytime De La Salle has played Folsom they haven't just won but they won by a lot. The team, is better. But at the end of the day we are comparing really good apples to really good oranges. To top it all off they are both outstanding schools academically.

For some reason, no matter how good Folsom is, DLS has their number.

They've played twice. And DLS never played Folsoms two best teams.

But Folsom did lose twice. Yes.

DLS is able to maintain the machine every year. They are a private school. Different rules. Folsom is generally subject to up and down years like most public school. So the better comparison would be Folsoms stronger squads against mostly any DLS team.

When comparing apples to oranges, you have to ensure each fruit is at least similar in color for an accurate comparison.

To be entirely fair, it's also possible that Folsom has not played DLS' best teams as well.

Anybody who thinks Folsom doesn't "recruit" an get kids to transfer to their district is crazy! I know of several people who actually moved to Folsom so their son's could play football there. No, it's not quite the same as a private school where kids live all over, but don't think that Folsom doesn't "recruit" in their own way. I'm not trying to say that's a bad thing and the program and coaching is second to none, but to think that Folsom's program is made up of all local "Folsom" kids is naive. Just my 2 cents...

The word "recruiting" gets misused. I would be shocked if kids are actively courted, in home meetings, promises of play time are given. Do families move into the area before starting high school or as a freshman/sophomore? I would believe that, but it has more to do with the program that has been built.

Also, "homegrown talent" is misued. For example, my alma mater (Yuba City) had a running back a few years ago whose Dad played at the school, was later a coach at the school and the player was born and lived in Yuba City his whole life. That's homegrown. Moving to a city in junior high isn't really homegrown

Folsom has one of the top programs in NorCal and in the state.
DLS is on another level, especially this year. Folsom's only hope of making the state finals this year would be not to play DLS in the post season.

I'm glad this conversation is so civil. I think people on both sides truly respect the two programs. We should be proud to have such programs in NorCal. I know I am. I religiously watch all the nationally televised DLS games. I just love and respect good football.

Reactions: JoeMixon
With that said I think a couple of the Folsom teams could have gave DLS a run for their money. Folsom in 2014 was special. That would have been a battle. The Folsom team with Graves, Richardson, Trosin, and all those other guys that spanked Serra Gardena would have been a battle.

I fully agree. Think both those teams would have posed a challenge and had a chance to actually win. Hell, Bellarmine was a Travis McHugh XP away from pulling it off in 2011 and that team was no better than either of those Folsom teams.

Grant Union has fielded numerous teams (1996, 1997, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010) that could have competed quite well and possibly beaten them. There have been others on a year to year basis that might have had a chance. 2010 Palo Alto also comes to mind.

The problem has continued to be the lack of a regional game. Had a Regional game been in place the past 25 years, DLS would probably won most of them. But they wouldn't have won all of them. 23-2 or 22-3. Whatever the case may be, they should be playing the next best team in NorCal every year. Rarely have they faced a section winner during the year they actually won section. Sure, they beat Folsom in 2012 and 2013, but that's 2 games when 23 others (or more if you go back in time further) could/should have been played.

Just look at the State game as an example. They didn't start playing that game until 2006. And while DLS has won most of them, they've not won all of them. Because a really good team in that given season eventually emerges that can actually compete with them. When DLS is left to guess who might be good and schedule them, it has rarely worked out with them actually facing the top team from said league/section.

While no NorCal or probably even any SoCal program could have accomplished what DLS has accomplished given the same circumstances, the truth is 151 straight and the current NorCal streak was largely made possible due to the lack of the Regional and State games for so many years.

As a fan of HS football, I want to see the best play the best. Always. If DLS wins 99.9% of the time, so be it. Every other program needs to raise their game. I know it's tough for the South to play the Regional since they already lump all their best teams in the same playoff bracket, but the North should be playing the Open Regional every single year. Discontinuing it robbed everyone from seeing DLS-Folsom in 2014, along with so many other potentially awesome games over the years.

The fact that this thread was started, makes me proud. We are the only program in NorCal being talked about with DLS.

Humbling yet gratifying at the same time. Most public schools are struggling to compete in their league every year. You know you've made it when threads like this are started.

Go Folsom!
I know you only been here since 2008 but yall replaced grant but given that Folsom has actually played dls twice and dls loses to nor cal teams makes this dls vs Folsom crazy cmon sac high beat Folsom dls wouldn't even schedule a sac high and Folsom looked over matched against Folsom...all the advantages they had over other sfl teams didn't exist against sac high dls has history Folsom is still creating its history now dls played for a state title every year lol Folsom Is a great nor cal program of late but cmon they don't schedule like a top program for s reason

I know you only been here since 2008 but yall replaced grant but given that Folsom has actually played dls twice and dls loses to nor cal teams makes this dls vs Folsom crazy cmon sac high beat Folsom dls wouldn't even schedule a sac high and Folsom looked over matched against Folsom...all the advantages they had over other sfl teams didn't exist against sac high dls has history Folsom is still creating its history now dls played for a state title every year lol Folsom Is a great nor cal program of late but cmon they don't schedule like a top program for s reason
You're living in the past future! The athletes all moved east to the foothills!

I fully agree. Think both those teams would have posed a challenge and had a chance to actually win. Hell, Bellarmine was a Travis McHugh XP away from pulling it off in 2011 and that team was no better than either of those Folsom teams.

Grant Union has fielded numerous teams (1996, 1997, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010) that could have competed quite well and possibly beaten them. There have been others on a year to year basis that might have had a chance. 2010 Palo Alto also comes to mind.

The problem has continued to be the lack of a regional game. Had a Regional game been in place the past 25 years, DLS would probably won most of them. But they wouldn't have won all of them. 23-2 or 22-3. Whatever the case may be, they should be playing the next best team in NorCal every year. Rarely have they faced a section winner during the year they actually won section. Sure, they beat Folsom in 2012 and 2013, but that's 2 games when 23 others (or more if you go back in time further) could/should have been played.

Just look at the State game as an example. They didn't start playing that game until 2006. And while DLS has won most of them, they've not won all of them. Because a really good team in that given season eventually emerges that can actually compete with them. When DLS is left to guess who might be good and schedule them, it has rarely worked out with them actually facing the top team from said league/section.

While no NorCal or probably even any SoCal program could have accomplished what DLS has accomplished given the same circumstances, the truth is 151 straight and the current NorCal streak was largely made possible due to the lack of the Regional and State games for so many years.

As a fan of HS football, I want to see the best play the best. Always. If DLS wins 99.9% of the time, so be it. Every other program needs to raise their game. I know it's tough for the South to play the Regional since they already lump all their best teams in the same playoff bracket, but the North should be playing the Open Regional every single year. Discontinuing it robbed everyone from seeing DLS-Folsom in 2014, along with so many other potentially awesome games over the years.

I loved everything you said but you left off that 2006 grant actually should've been the team in that state game but you gotta respect the reason why they picked them over grant (their history) I believe that's what made grant schedule Bellevue in 08

Dls vs grant will happen someday

Reactions: ThunderRam
In other words, students who live in Stockton or Elk Grove don't attend Folsom
You are sadly mistaken. Go back and read a couple threads lately . As we speak 3 kids go to Folsom from Elk Grove. And it's not just average joe players . Next year Starting Qb, WR and RB will all reside in Elk Grove. One of you Folsom followers Sac up and admit it

You are sadly mistaken. Go back and read a couple threads lately . As we speak 3 kids go to Folsom from Elk Grove. And it's not just average joe players . Next year Starting Qb, WR and RB will all reside in Elk Grove. One of you Folsom followers Sac up and admit it
Lol total lie. Go troll over in your home of Rancho Cordova

Heat be like- "the kids at Folsom once shopped at the Target in Elk Grove, South Sac 2.0!"

Aren't all the SoCal schools you mention in the same division. D1 or Open candidates? Only one can go from each classification. Everybody knows there are more good teams in SoCal

Yes, the top So Cal programs face each other every year which means you generally don't have to debate which team is better. It gets settled on the field and gives fans some of the best football matchups in the country. If the Southern Section started making sure Centennial, Bosco or Mater Dei didn't have to play each other to keep them eligible for a state game, that would deprive everyone of great football matchups (and be a nightmare for NorCal). It just seems strange to me why Folsom wouldn't want the opportunity to represent Norcal in the Open game.

It just seems strange to me why Folsom wouldn't want the opportunity to represent Norcal in the Open game.

The rule actually has nothing to do with Folsom nor was it requested as such. Stop trying to associate it with Folsom so you can say they are avoiding someone. This is not the case. The Folsom name got associated with the rule due to the timing. If another public school such as Del Oro would have been in the same spot as Folsom at that same time, it could have been associated with another school.

Nobody's ducking anyone. We will all robbed in 2014.

De La Salle is the best Football program in Northern California. But as already mentioned, players come from all over the place to play there. De La Salle does NOT have a junior league, they depend on kids learning the game before they show up to the school OR they have to teach team as freshman..
Folsom, has the best public program in Northern California. And I am going to make the argument that Folsom's program is better for player development, which is the whole point right??, because they have a feeder program along with worlds better facilities. But its sort of like comparing a 9.8/10 to a 9.9/10, the end result will be unnoticeably similar if not the same.
Everytime De La Salle has played Folsom they haven't just won but they won by a lot. The team, is better. But at the end of the day we are comparing really good apples to really good oranges. To top it all off they are both outstanding schools academically.

I object to giving Folsom "player development" (besides the usual exaggerations of DLS claiming the whole Bay Area as geography -- or even whole East Bay)

DLS's varsity hasn't lost in NorCal in 25+ years, but the freshman teams have lost dozens of games. I like using 2011 SRV as an example -- that year, the SRV seniors, juniors, and freshmen could all claim victories over DLS's freshman team, but SRV lost 2 games to DLS's varsity by a combined score of 89-17 (and it was 89-3 before the #2 QB in the country engineered a couple of 4th quarter TDs against deep reserves)

Player Development is maybe what DLS does best

The rule actually has nothing to do with Folsom nor was it requested as such. Stop trying to associate it with Folsom so you can say they are avoiding someone. This is not the case. The Folsom name got associated with the rule due to the timing. If another public school such as Del Oro would have been in the same spot as Folsom at that same time, it could have been associated with another school.

Nobody's ducking anyone. We will all robbed in 2014.

I agree with this

I think the rule was instigated by the PAC 5/ Southern section that didn't want their champs being challenged by (i.e.) SD, La, or central section champs (because they sometimes lost) and wanted a bye week for DLS prep

I object to giving Folsom "player development" (besides the usual exaggerations of DLS claiming the whole Bay Area as geography -- or even whole East Bay)

DLS's varsity hasn't lost in NorCal in 25+ years, but the freshman teams have lost dozens of games. I like using 2011 SRV as an example -- that year, the SRV seniors, juniors, and freshmen could all claim victories over DLS's freshman team, but SRV lost 2 games to DLS's varsity by a combined score of 89-17 (and it was 89-3 before the #2 QB in the country engineered a couple of 4th quarter TDs against deep reserves)

Player Development is maybe what DLS does best
I agree yes and no. Folsom player development is different. It is a true player development. DLS is more of a system development.

During the last decade Folsom has put more guys in the D1 ranks than anyone to include DLS. That's not a knock on DLS but rather a testament to Folsoms player development and youth program.

I loved everything you said but you left off that 2006 grant actually should've been the team in that state game but you gotta respect the reason why they picked them over grant (their history) I believe that's what made grant schedule Bellevue in 08

Dls vs grant will happen someday

DLS was the #1 team in the country at USAT when the '06 selection was made

Am not saying DLS would have beaten grant, but no question about the right choice was made

Grant and DLS will play at some point, but from my understanding, they turned down the last invite (2010) and DLS likely declined sometime earlier ('08-'09, when they scheduled DBP twice and Lakeland FL)

Am not saying DLS would have beaten grant, but no question about the right choice was made

Grant and DLS will play at some point, but from my understanding, they turned down the last invite (2010) and DLS likely declined sometime earlier ('08-'09, when they scheduled DBP twice and Lakeland FL)

Heard it was a money issue in the earlier years but once they got the respect from the state game they no longer felt like they needed dLs. But if grant can get back consistent they'll get that game cause its not fun watching dls pick on Folsom,Del oro ,Jesuit and st Mary's

Wasn't that the year dls lost 1 or 2 games

Heard it was a money issue in the earlier years but once they got the respect from the state game they no longer felt like they needed dLs. But if grant can get back consistent they'll get that game cause its not fun watching dls pick on Folsom,Del oro ,Jesuit and st Mary's

Am pretty sure from DLS's perspective, it was all about Grant getting picked for the '08 Open

DLS wasn't exactly ducking Grant prior, but Grant was just one of many schools trying to schedule a game -- after the '08 SBG selection, they jumped to the top of the wish list and, as you said, Grant didn't really NEED DLS anymore (they started '10 ranked in top 3 of national polls)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT