ADVERTISEMENT

D'Marcus Ross sets school touchdown record

I don't recall if it's still the section record or not, but I know Onterrio Smith scored 99 total TD's.
Smith accomplished the 99 in around 39 or 40 games (I think he played in 1 game as a freshman).
I believe Ross just played in his 40th game and now has 91. He's likely got at least 5 more games left. He also was a starter as a freshman.

Pretty nice accomplishment to get near and possibly surpass.

I think John Bordenkircher of Dixon was in the same neighborhood of 90 or so TD's. I'll have to check my research.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
I don't recall if it's still the section record or not, but I know Onterrio Smith scored 99 total TD's.
Smith accomplished the 99 in around 39 or 40 games (I think he played in 1 game as a freshman).
I believe Ross just played in his 40th game and now has 91. He's likely got at least 5 more games left. He also was a starter as a freshman.

Pretty nice accomplishment to get near and possibly surpass.

I think John Bordenkircher of Dixon was in the same neighborhood of 90 or so TD's. I'll have to check my research.

Smith was a beast in pop warners too. we watched him play in 8th grade for the midgets and knew he was special. He played all four years on varsity. He shared the rock tho with graves, krump, mitchell, roberto, tony, and a few others in the stable his freshman year. Al typically made us block as under classman only to show case you as a senior. Sort of a right of passage. Some say he was the best all time back based on his raw running style and the numbers he put up, But to me id give that title to robert dotson sr. Again he only was allowed to show case his skills as a senior so his numbers wont compare overall to smith but he was the real deal and could easily have reached a 100 touchdowns if he was given the ball all four years. On a side note ross father is best friends with smith so im sure he will be extremely happy for him if/when his record is broken.

Smith was a beast in pop warners too. we watched him play in 8th grade for the midgets and knew he was special. He played all four years on varsity. He shared the rock tho with graves, krump, mitchell, roberto, tony, and a few others in the stable his freshman year.

How much did he play as a frosh? Because his total rush yardage of 6,178 and 99 TD's are pretty much accounted for during his Soph, JR and SR seasons. I actually have him accounted for 6,171 yards. 3,125 & 53 total TD's in 1998 (he also threw 2 TD's), 1,960 & 29 total TD's in 1997, and 1,086 & 17 total TD's as a Soph. So if the media reported 6,178 is correct -- that leaves 7 yards & 0 TD's as a frosh -- indicating he didn't play much at all.

Last edited:
How much did he play as a frosh? Because his total rush yardage of 6,178 and 99 TD's are pretty much accounted for during his Soph, JR and SR seasons. I actually have him accounted for 6,171 yards. 3,125 & 53 total TD's in 1998 (he also threw 2 TD's), 1,960 & 29 total TD's in 1997, and 1,086 & 17 total TD's as a Soph. So if the media reported 6,178 is correct -- that leaves 7 yards & 0 TD's as a frosh -- indicating he didn't play much at all.

Thunder,
Im not sure how many games exactly. Typically al pulls kids up to varsity their sophmore year a couple of games before the playoffs start. That year grant lost in the 1st round to valley. They went 7-4 that year which was at that time a horrible record, even tho now-a-days id take that! I remember them losing to del campo at grant and he was on the team. That was maybe mid season. You gotta remember grant always has a stable of backs. That year mitchell was the man based on putting in his time as a blocker as was roberto, Both seniors. Graves and tony were arguably better as juniors, as was krump. Dont forget a young stallwoth was also in the stable and got carriers. Smith was deep in the depth chart but played more on defense. Al did a good job of sharing the rock and as with all of us you had to learn to be a team player and block first. That summer going into the famed 96 team, al got elliot. He then moved tony to wide out along with stallworth and mario. Graves and smith became the primary ball carriers which is why his numbers went up and up and up.

One more thing to add is that in my time at grant the one thing i remember the most, without a doubt, was how competitive it was at the RB/skill position. We played lights out in practice and every play was a big collision, a lot of times leading to a fight. On offense you try to run the defender over and the next series you switch roles and become the tackler. You fought for your position, nothing was given or granted to you.smith like all of us had to learn this lesson and like all us who got to move on to play after hs, college and the pro coaches quickly recognized that competitive drive and fight. Fear no one and run reckless. Smith was just one of the best to do it, even tho the spread offense and elliot helped out his numbers tremendously.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam
Thunder,
Im not sure how many games exactly. Typically al pulls kids up to varsity their sophmore year a couple of games before the playoffs start. That year grant lost in the 1st round to valley. They went 7-4 that year which was at that time a horrible record, even tho now-a-days id take that! I remember them losing to del campo at grant and he was on the team. That was maybe mid season. You gotta remember grant always has a stable of backs. That year mitchell was the man based on putting in his time as a blocker as was roberto, Both seniors. Graves and tony were arguably better as juniors, as was krump. Dont forget a young stallwoth was also in the stable and got carriers. Smith was deep in the depth chart but played more on defense.

Ok, this makes more sense to me. I didn't want to argue, because you obviously have deeper knowledge of those team than any of us. I just knew that Onterrio didn't carry the ball much more than a carry or two his frosh season. But playing up on defense was something I didn't consider. GHS hasn't fielded a frosh team in a long, long time -- but didn't they still have one circa 1995? I know they did 10 years earlier in 1985 because we played and beat'em. But I'm not sure when the frosh program was dropped for good.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
The original post was that it was a school record.
Ya’ll right, just that talk was around all time in section and other schools, so wonderin how he’d do at higher level school, my guess is onterrio woulda scored much more at a lower d5 school

Ya’ll right, just that talk was around all time in section and other schools, so wonderin how he’d do at higher level school, my guess is onterrio woulda scored much more at a lower d5 school

Oh, I'm sure he would have considering that he played in the CAL which was among the top D1 leagues in section back then. Also, he didn't carry the ball as a freshman (maybe only once) so his 99 scores were in 3 seasons, not 4. Just goes to show how ridiculous the accomplishment was because what Ross has done is utterly ridiculous too. That's a lot of TD's.

Ross starting a freshman, playing both ways, and scoring 25 TD's is certainly no easy task and not a common thing at all in this area. The kid had 4 INT TD's and 4 kick/punt return TD's to go along with his 17 rush/receiving scores. Phenomenal for that age.

I remember following Sony Michel when he began playing at American Heritage in 2009. He was an 8th grader playing Varsity for an upper level program in Florida and rushed for over 1,800 yards and scored 20 TD's. Just blows me away that some of these kids are that advanced and can overcome such an age (and sometimes size) disparity.

Ok, this makes more sense to me. I didn't want to argue, because you obviously have deeper knowledge of those team than any of us. I just knew that Onterrio didn't carry the ball much more than a carry or two his frosh season. But playing up on defense was something I didn't consider. GHS hasn't fielded a frosh team in a long, long time -- but didn't they still have one circa 1995? I know they did 10 years earlier in 1985 because we played and beat'em. But I'm not sure when the frosh program was dropped for good.

Thunder,
Im Not sure when the freshman squad went away? I moved to cali in 89. I dont remember their being one then. Kids in 8th grade at mlk junior high played football with the 9th graders at grant, on the neighborhood youth team the grant rams midgets. As long as you did not exceed age limits 14, and weight limits 145, you played on the midgets squad. Or as a freshman you could play on the jv squad. Coach butch from the grant rams along with coach fat-rat have touched a lot of pacers from the pacer nation. They were some good dudes that you liked to play for, funny, knowledgable, and most important patient. So come 9th grade year it was easy for some to stay and play if they could with the rams. The manor browns program is also a big part of the pacer nation and shared the same similarities. The Best thing about the youth teams was getting to travel more and play out of area teams. Good times

Reactions: ThunderRam
Thunder,
Im Not sure when the freshman squad went away? I moved to cali in 89. I dont remember their being one then. Kids in 8th grade at mlk junior high played football with the 9th graders at grant, on the neighborhood youth team the grant rams midgets. As long as you did not exceed age limits 14, and weight limits 145, you played on the midgets squad. Or as a freshman you could play on the jv squad. Coach butch from the grant rams along with coach fat-rat have touched a lot of pacers from the pacer nation. They were some good dudes that you liked to play for, funny, knowledgable, and most important patient. So come 9th grade year it was easy for some to stay and play if they could with the rams. The manor browns program is also a big part of the pacer nation and shared the same similarities. The Best thing about the youth teams was getting to travel more and play out of area teams. Good times

Idk is freshman teams existed back then or grant never had one as a freshman you either play pop warner or on the Jv team that’s how I remembered it and it’s still the same today

Idk is freshman teams existed back then or grant never had one as a freshman you either play pop warner or on the Jv team that’s how I remembered it and it’s still the same today

They had one. My school was in league w/ the Pacers and I played against them all 4 years, including my frosh season.

I just checked one of the yearbooks on classmates site, they don't have anything more recent than the class of 1987 but there is a frosh team page for that 1986 fall season. So I'm guessing the program went away likely some time in the 90's then.

He probably should be at grant, helluva talent with good size

Just curios why should he probably be at Grant? Family not happy with their choice of attending CC or him playing for Taylor? Issue with the system?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT