ADVERTISEMENT

Dorothy Speck Tournament (Davis HS)

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
This is always one of the better December tournaments in the area. Could be looking at at McClatchy-Folsom final

Here are the first round matchups:

Woodcreek-Bradsahw Christian
McClatchy-Pleasant Valley
Folsom-Shasta
Davis-Oakmont

1st Day Game Scores (sorry no stats):
Woodcreek beat Bradshaw Christian, 59-8
McClatchy beat Pleasant Valley (Chico), 58-29
Folsom beat Shasta, 62-34
Davis beat Oakmont, 67-29

Today's winner bracket games:
Woodcreek (5-1) vs. McClatchy (5-0)
Folsom (2-0) vs. Davis (1-1)
Should be a good, close game between Woodcreek & McClatchy

I heard rumors this offseason that Bradshaw might have trouble fielding a team this year. With a score like that, it doesn’t seem far off.

Two good semi-final matchups on the winners side

I heard rumors this offseason that Bradshaw might have trouble fielding a team this year. With a score like that, it doesn’t seem far off.

Two good semi-final matchups on the winners side
I agree. Bradshaw Christian just lost tonight's game to Pleasant Valley of Chico, 63-13. Not sure why BC chose to register for this tournament. Not a good morale booster to start the season.

In a thriller: McClatchy beats Woodcreek, 49-48. Woodcreek almost pulls off upset, outscoring McClatchy 18-9 in the 4th quarter.

Folsom pulls away from Davis and wins, 51-37. Davis led 6-2 after the 1st quarter. But in the 2nd & 3rd quarters it was all Folsom, outscoring Davis 45-23 combined (or by 22 points).

Sets up in the final championship game Saturday: McClatchy (6-0) vs. Folsom (3-0)
Last year in this same tournament, Folsom beat McClatchy 41-39.

Couldn't go to the game, but McClatchy has an easy win over Folsom for the Championship by a score of 57-31. Impressive win for McClatchy (now 7-0, includes foundation game).

From the Davis Enterprise Newspaper:
https://www.davisenterprise.com/spo...d-by-woodcreek-in-final-day-of-speck-tourney/
McClatchy 57, Folsom 31: Samaya Beatty — who took home tournament MVP honors — put 19 on the board for the 7-0 Lions in the title contest. McClatchy's Tamaria Rumph (Freshman), Kayla Fermil and Saray White (Sophomore) each totaled 8 points for McClatchy. Avoiding Folsom’s 6-6 Katie Harris in the paint, the Lions drilled 12 3-pointers in the victory. Charity Gallegos lead the Bulldogs with 15 points.

McClatchy doesn’t have a clear top player like last year but the depth is really good.

They are going to be tough as season goes on
Agree! I think coaches Ota and Ngo has always stressed teamwork over individual stars. Their depth for the past five years is what has got them into the post season playoffs.

Reactions: basketba11
Agree! I think coaches Ota and Ngo has always stressed teamwork over individual stars. Their depth for the past five years is what has got them into the post season playoffs.
I predicted McClatchy would be very strong again this year, despite the fact they lost their top 2 Division 1 girls. I agree with both of you in the fact there seem to have lots more depth this year than last. Coaches stress teamwork and defensive pressure. They are not just dependent on one or two girls, and are getting great contributions from 1 thru 10 on their roster. After watching the games vs Woodcreek and then vs Folsom though, they were almost entirely 2 different teams offensively. Against Woodcreek, they struggled to shoot from the perimeter and free throw line, and almost gave up the game. But against Folsom, they shot incredibly and made 12 3s as a team with Beatty hitting an unbelievable 5 of them and getting 3s from 7 different players. Instead, Folsom really struggled with their shooting from the perimeter and especially free throws which was why the game broke open in the 2nd half. I would love to see these teams match up again in the Section playoffs.

Reactions: cptmycpa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT