ADVERTISEMENT

Dublin Coaching Change

MOJO347

Rookie
Apr 9, 2007
Was told today that Dublin Coach has parted ways with the school, solid program for somebody to step in to.

There might be a little more to the story than disgruntled parents ... that's always an easy target but sometimes coaches actually should move on.

I can't verify what I've heard so I won't repeat it, but if it's true, this move might have been in the best interest of the girls. Or perhaps not ...

There might be a little more to the story than disgruntled parents ... that's always an easy target but sometimes coaches actually should move on.

I can't verify what I've heard so I won't repeat it, but if it's true, this move might have been in the best interest of the girls. Or perhaps not ...
Heard parents ran him out plus Alameda coach who was on the bench pushed hard for him out and wants the job. I would think a good fit?

Heard parents ran him out plus Alameda coach who was on the bench pushed hard for him out and wants the job. I would think a good fit?

Watching a Dublin game these past few years, it has been amazing the comments made by the Gaels’ fan base (parents and family members?). Even when the team is winning, every move by the coaches is 2nd guessed out loud. I hope they have someone in mind they will agree with.

Watching a Dublin game these past few years, it has been amazing the comments made by the Gaels’ fan base (parents and family members?). Even when the team is winning, every move by the coaches is 2nd guessed out loud. I hope they have someone in mind they will agree with.
i agree... the parents of dublin always had alot to say.

If that was the case, the Alameda Coach should be gone as well. Rumor has it that Alameda Coach wasn't running his own practice, but at Dublin instead coaching his daughter. And if there is even a tiny bit of truth, then for the sake of the girls at Alameda, the coach should go.

And if you were the Dublin coach, and you allowed an Alameda Coach to hang around on your bench, what does that say about the the actual coach or the other coaches in your program? Or what does that say about your own morals, to allow another coach to hurt his own program?

Let the coaching carousel begin!

I hope both programs find positive new additions to their respective programs!

If that was the case, the Alameda Coach should be gone as well. Rumor has it that Alameda Coach wasn't running his own practice, but at Dublin instead coaching his daughter. And if there is even a tiny bit of truth, then for the sake of the girls at Alameda, the coach should go.

And if you were the Dublin coach, and you allowed an Alameda Coach to hang around on your bench, what does that say about the the actual coach or the other coaches in your program? Or what does that say about your own morals, to allow another coach to hurt his own program?

Let the coaching carousel begin!

I hope both programs find positive new additions to their respective programs!

What we've heard (I've said before we have a family friend with a daughter at Dublin) is that the Alameda couch would coach after school in Dublin, then his practices were late at Alameda. If this is the case and he was doing both, then what's the harm? There was a HUGE thread on this when it happened (Berkeley Coach started it) and it wasn't a big deal. Alameda had a fine season and if he wasn't coaching that team or inconsistent, wouldn't it have shown in his record?

I'm not going to go into detail of what we heard why Dublin coach stepped away. But lets say the parents had a meeting and when told of him coming on board, most were okay with it. If my daughter was in a situation where it needed help, I'd help if my time would allow it and no, it's not against the law to coach at two places. Again, if he could do both and both programs were not being hindered, what's the big deal?

why is the alameda coach in such high demand? isnt the st joe coach better? or the miramonte coach?

I am not trying to say it is against the law. However, I do think it's a big deal. To me, missing practice is a big deal. or getting to practice late or having them go from 7 to 9 versus 5 to 7 could be a big deal. Prioritizing your daughter's team over a gig you signed up for is a big deal.

and if you want to coach so badly at Dublin, just quit the Alameda gig and go join the guy at Dublin. Clearly Dublin coach liked having him out there, since he allowed him to work on the court daily with the team. He probably could have been an assistant and been on the bench and no one would have questioned it.

Really it is about a conflict of interest and being committed to your program and job. And if i was an administrator/ad at any school, i would have a problem with allowing parents and/or other coaches to just show up and help at practice. Again, what does that say about you? Because do you allow anyone to come in and do that? and if so, why do they need you then?

Secondly, you will get into these odd predicaments where the parent volunteer wants you out of your job. it's a distraction. people are talking about it on the blogs. I would say that most people would think it's a conflict of interest. And now that there is a parting of ways, do you turn to Alameda coach? Did you undermine the former coach?

Maybe the Alameda High administration is terrible? don't care about sports? Clearly Brad Thomas was coach there a long time. I guess he doesn't have an issue with it. Maybe the principal doesn't care either. I wonder how transparent all of this was? I guess for me, if you came and told me that this was the situation, i would have questioned your commitment to the program. And it doesn't matter to me that they had an OK season. Dublin had a good season too, but still parted ways with the coach.

I am not trying to say it is against the law. However, I do think it's a big deal. To me, missing practice is a big deal. or getting to practice late or having them go from 7 to 9 versus 5 to 7 could be a big deal. Prioritizing your daughter's team over a gig you signed up for is a big deal.

and if you want to coach so badly at Dublin, just quit the Alameda gig and go join the guy at Dublin. Clearly Dublin coach liked having him out there, since he allowed him to work on the court daily with the team. He probably could have been an assistant and been on the bench and no one would have questioned it.

Really it is about a conflict of interest and being committed to your program and job. And if i was an administrator/ad at any school, i would have a problem with allowing parents and/or other coaches to just show up and help at practice. Again, what does that say about you? Because do you allow anyone to come in and do that? and if so, why do they need you then?

Secondly, you will get into these odd predicaments where the parent volunteer wants you out of your job. it's a distraction. people are talking about it on the blogs. I would say that most people would think it's a conflict of interest. And now that there is a parting of ways, do you turn to Alameda coach? Did you undermine the former coach?

Maybe the Alameda High administration is terrible? don't care about sports? Clearly Brad Thomas was coach there a long time. I guess he doesn't have an issue with it. Maybe the principal doesn't care either. I wonder how transparent all of this was? I guess for me, if you came and told me that this was the situation, i would have questioned your commitment to the program. And it doesn't matter to me that they had an OK season. Dublin had a good season too, but still parted ways with the coach.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think it's a conflict of interest if they don't overlap. I know a few high school coaches that coach HS AND at the MS level. Reason, they're direct feeders into the high school program. Is that a conflict of interest? Not if both sides are okay with it and it's not affecting both teams.

Yah, I don't know if he missed practices or games, but if it was because of coaching at another school, then yes, that's not good. All I do know is that (from what I've heard) he was able to do both, and was only helping out at Dublin for about a month. IT wasn't for the entire season (mostly preseason). I guess you could say it was a mini-quick fix to a perceived problem-most of the kids seemed to like him. As for Alameda I have no clue what was said to the team, parents, etc. Also, I don't know what his and Summerville's relationship is. It obviously was good enough that he asked him to come help.

Has the Alameda coach said he's even interested in this job? He has a good job with a very good group of returners (as pre MaxPreps) and probably less pain in the butt parents. We heard he's not interested in being the head coach at Dublin. Just likes helping out with practice (probably since he has his own team?).

I believe Brad Thomas is no longer the AD at Alameda -- there were some issues with the boys' basketball program.

From what I can gather, the Alameda administration has suddenly started paying a lot more attention to the way the athletics' department is run.

I believe Brad Thomas is no longer the AD at Alameda -- there were some issues with the boys' basketball program.

From what I can gather, the Alameda administration has suddenly started paying a lot more attention to the way the athletics' department is run.

What do you mean paying a lot more attention to the way the athletics department is run? on the boys side, it was said that he's on Admin Leave as is the boys coach.

Back in the day, and still at many schools, the athletic department operates under sort of a benign neglect, because there's a lot of administration involved that the administration staff doesn't have time to deal with. So budgets and requests and so on would come up, hands would be waved, and everyone would move on.

But now, as the budget screws tighten, more scrutiny is more common -- not that the light always stays on.

My favorite story about this was when I was at Campo, and there was a brief move on admin's part to have athletic money come into the school (fund-raising, etc.) and all checks written by the school. So the football coach came in one day with a huge plastic bin full of receipts, invoices and bills to be paid and gave it to the accounting department to take care of (since he wasn't supposed to any more).

The poor staffers took one look at all that work and pointed out to their bosses that they'd need to hire someone new to handle all this from all the teams -- and sure enough, that mandate to have everything go through the school just kind of faded away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT