ADVERTISEMENT

EBAL AWARDS

NorCalScout

Sports Fanatic
Jul 10, 2001
Since my family and I moved from Orinda to Pleasanton, I have spent more time watching this league then others but still have seen a ton of basketball games this season. I know this league almost as well as anyone, with the exception of Bones & Observer, so I will do my best. Most of this is serious (MVP, 1st & 2nd team and a few others) and a few parts are humorous, so stay with me.

MVP: Conner Jackson (DUB). I know most people will say Beasley and I have no complaints with that but here is why I picked Jackson. Extremely talented with the ball is his hands and even more so without. His senior leadership is a huge key in the Gaels success this year. His court awareness and vision is 2nd to none and he plays both ends of the court as good as anyone. He manages this team, floor leader, doesn't force shots, has great range and always plays under control. I am sure Beasley will win this award and he is well deserving but I have seen Dublin play more so than most and my choice is Jackson!

1st Team All League:
Beasley (DUB), Nielsen (DUB), Pratt (DLS), Gregorios (DLS), Bruce (MV), Williams (AV), Kramer (AV), Laird (DV), Smith (FH) & Kath (GRA)

2nd team:
Kostolansky (DLS), Manning (DUB), Brown (DUB), Cullinane (MV), Tompkins (AV), Nanney (AV), Masilang (DV), Anderson (GRA), Murdoch (GRA), Pierce (CAL), Lott (CAL), Murphy (SR), Langowski (LIV) & Cristwell (FH)

Coach of the Year: Costello. Undefeated in the regular season, had by far the hardest schedule of anyone in this league, puts together amazing assistant coaches. Manages is players, minutes, attitudes and egos very well. Gets everyone to buy into the team concept. One heck of a year and this will continue for years to come.

6th Man of the Bench: Castro (MV), Sheets (DV), Nanney (AV) & Peters (SR). All these players bring instant offense and add a level of energy that everyone feeds off of and without a drop off in talent and or production.

Best Defensive Player: Nielsen (Dub), best shot blocker and rebounder. Bruce (MV) & Laird (DV) are a very close 2nd and rebound, defend and always guard the teams best player.

Most Improved: Masilang (DV), this league is loaded with great point guards (Jackson & Gregorios) but Masilang is just below those two guys. I saw Pratt (DLS) in there 2nd match-up, guard him all night, not only were his ankles about to break but he gave up 20 plus points to this quick and great penetrating guard, I was very impressed.

Best Gym: Dublin hands down. Best lighting, scoreboards, sound system and stands.

Least Favorite Gym: DLS, Small cracker box gym with security wearing white coats that direct you to go here and not this way and go around here. This entitled & we are better then you crap is irritating.

Best 6th man Crowd: Dougherty Valley & Granada. Those 6th man bring it each and every night, not just rivalry and DLS game but all the time, hats off to those two school. San Ramon usually wins this award but I guess winning helps everything and losing does not.

Non-Best 6th Man Crowd: Monte Vista & Foothill. If it's not a big game, these gyms are empty and the 6th doesn't even think about coming out, very disappointing.

Best Cheer Team: N/A New rule only allow them to cheer at the end or quarters and halftime.

Best Announcer: Dougherty Valley & Cal High

Snack Bar: Dublin & Dougherty

Best Sound System: Dublin

Best Assistant Coaches: Dublin, they are very active at both ends of the court but who still knows who's in charge. Amador is a close 2nd.

Best Parent Fan Base: You will always find me right in the middle of the home teams fans. I love to hear what the parents say about there coaches and how they act towards the refs and their kids, lack of playing time and do they try to ref and coach from the stands. Winner.... Foothill. Best supporting parent fan base in the league, this changes from time to time but this year they were by far the best.

Non-Best Parent Fan Base: Amador Valley & Granada, they were the exact opposite of the above. This by no means they are bad fans but them seem to be yelling and screaming at coaches, players and refs and seem to have discouraging things to say about the coaching staff and the opponents players and coaches. They are fans, fanatics and very passionate but also very opinionated and vocal and not always putting their best foot forward and leading by example.

Reactions: bones40
Since my family and I moved from Orinda to Pleasanton, I have spent more time watching this league then others but still have seen a ton of basketball games this season. I know this league almost as well as anyone, with the exception of Bones & Observer, so I will do my best. Most of this is serious (MVP, 1st & 2nd team and a few others) and a few parts are humorous, so stay with me.

MVP: Conner Jackson (DUB). I know most people will say Beasley and I have no complaints with that but here is why I picked Jackson. Extremely talented with the ball is his hands and even more so without. His senior leadership is a huge key in the Gaels success this year. His court awareness and vision is 2nd to none and he plays both ends of the court as good as anyone. He manages this team, floor leader, doesn't force shots, has great range and always plays under control. I am sure Beasley will win this award and he is well deserving but I have seen Dublin play more so than most and my choice is Jackson!

1st Team All League:
Beasley (DUB), Nielsen (DUB), Pratt (DLS), Gregorios (DLS), Bruce (MV), Williams (AV), Kramer (AV), Laird (DV), Smith (FH) & Kath (GRA)

2nd team:
Kostolansky (DLS), Manning (DUB), Brown (DUB), Cullinane (MV), Tompkins (AV), Nanney (AV), Masilang (DV), Anderson (GRA), Murdoch (GRA), Pierce (CAL), Lott (CAL), Murphy (SR), Langowski (LIV) & Cristwell (FH)

Coach of the Year: Costello. Undefeated in the regular season, had by far the hardest schedule of anyone in this league, puts together amazing assistant coaches. Manages is players, minutes, attitudes and egos very well. Gets everyone to buy into the team concept. One heck of a year and this will continue for years to come.

6th Man of the Bench: Castro (MV), Sheets (DV), Nanney (AV) & Peters (SR). All these players bring instant offense and add a level of energy that everyone feeds off of and without a drop off in talent and or production.

Best Defensive Player: Nielsen (Dub), best shot blocker and rebounder. Bruce (MV) & Laird (DV) are a very close 2nd and rebound, defend and always guard the teams best player.

Most Improved: Masilang (DV), this league is loaded with great point guards (Jackson & Gregorios) but Masilang is just below those two guys. I saw Pratt (DLS) in there 2nd match-up, guard him all night, not only were his ankles about to break but he gave up 20 plus points to this quick and great penetrating guard, I was very impressed.

Best Gym: Dublin hands down. Best lighting, scoreboards, sound system and stands.

Least Favorite Gym: DLS, Small cracker box gym with security wearing white coats that direct you to go here and not this way and go around here. This entitled & we are better then you crap is irritating.

Best 6th man Crowd: Dougherty Valley & Granada. Those 6th man bring it each and every night, not just rivalry and DLS game but all the time, hats off to those two school. San Ramon usually wins this award but I guess winning helps everything and losing does not.

Non-Best 6th Man Crowd: Monte Vista & Foothill. If it's not a big game, these gyms are empty and the 6th doesn't even think about coming out, very disappointing.

Best Cheer Team: N/A New rule only allow them to cheer at the end or quarters and halftime.

Best Assistant Coaches: Dublin, they are very active at both ends of the court but who still knows who's in charge. Amador is a close 2nd.

Best Parent Fan Base: You will always find me right in the middle of the home teams fans. I love to hear what the parents say about there coaches and how they act towards the refs and their kids, lack of playing time and do they try to ref and coach from the stands. Winner.... Foothill. Best supporting parent fan base in the league, this changes from time to time but this year they were by far the best.

Non-Best Parent Fan Base: Amador Valley & Granada, they were the exact opposite of the above. This by no means they are bad fans but them seem to be yelling and screaming at coaches, players and refs and seem to have discouraging things to say about the coaching staff and the opponents players and coaches. They are fans, fanatics and very passionate but also very opinionated and vocal and not always putting their best foot forward and leading by example.

MVP: Jackson and Nielson both had solid years for DUB; could also consider Pratt (DLS) for his leadership; hard to beat Beasley with this type of performance though.

Reactions: NorCalScout
I have seen less EBAL ball this year than I have in a long time... I found the DFAL’s teams a lot more fun to watch... So I can’t really comment on MVP and such.

I can share takes on gyms and stuff, tho...

Dublin’s gym is what all new gyms should be modeled after, especially those amazing new scoreboards. For those who haven’t seen them, they’re basically huge computer monitors, and they are run using an iPad. Big, bright, full color, and I assume they can be updated very easily for fixes and new features. Probably a lot cheaper to maintain, too. No LED’s or lights to replace.

I agree on DLS’s gym... They could get rid of like 75% of the ushers with zero loss of safety or security. However, at least the urinals aren’t yellow-taped like Amador’s..

And DLS has the worst snack bar anywhere! When they bother to open the place, they have a grand total of three types of candy bar, all peanuts and therefore all horrible! Mix in some variety...

1st Team All League:

2nd team:

Your list has way too many players on it. Usually it is 1 MVP, 5 First team and 5 second teamers. Honorable mentions fill in the rest. I bet you have first teamers on that list who won't even make 2nd team. I would have a hard time putting any Livermore, Foothill, Cal or SRV players on anything more than Honorable based on team results.

Your list has way too many players on it. Usually it is 1 MVP, 5 First team and 5 second teamers. Honorable mentions fill in the rest. I bet you have first teamers on that list who won't even make 2nd team. I would have a hard time putting any Livermore, Foothill, Cal or SRV players on anything more than Honorable based on team results.

I would look at his second team as honorable mention based on the number of first teamers. He does this himself based on his observations, and I think it's great. I don't think he's trying to predict who will be voted into those spots by the coaches.

Reactions: NorCalScout
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT