ADVERTISEMENT

Eureka wins Coin Flip

Y

You are a sick POS if you take pleasure in how this ended for whoever loss the coin flip

youre disgusting

I'm laughing more at the ridiculous nature, but it's a bit karmic that only one coach decided that he'd rather take his chances on a coin flip rather than play it out on the field because they were apparently bored with winning NCS titles (which, if we're being honest, has only happened once since 2012). The hubris that comes out of CN in both football and basketball (and among many of their supporters on here) is second only to the Folsom fans.

Edited to add - a thought just occurred to me, and perhaps I need to give Cronin a bit more credit here for next level thinking. If CN had won an NCS title, they would have been bumped up to D2 next year because of competitive equity. Even if they'd lost in the NCS D3 title game, they'd have had 20 points and almost certainly would have been bumped up the following year. Without an NCS D3 title game in 2018, they should only get the 6 points that go with a semifinal appearance. That not only guarantees CN will be in D3 next year, barring a championship appearance next year it pretty well leaves them in D3 for at least the next 2 years (at which point last year's finals appearance comes off the books). If, as Larry et. al. have said, this was the best CN team to come along and there's an expectation that there will be a drop off after this season, making a state run while also guaranteeing you get to stay in D3 and avoid Marin Catholic and Bishop O'Dowd for a while is genius.

Last edited:
Reactions: thespecialone
I'm laughing more at the ridiculous nature, but it's a bit karmic that only one coach decided that he'd rather take his chances on a coin flip rather than play it out on the field because they were apparently bored with winning NCS titles (which, if we're being honest, has only happened once since 2012). The hubris that comes out of CN in both football and basketball (and among many of their supporters on here) is second only to the Folsom fans.

The only "hubris" being exhibited is from you thinking you understand the thought process of what went into the decision the kids made.

In case you forgot:

in the last 15 mos....

1. Half the school burned down
2. kids lost their homes and possessions
3. Popular mom who the seniors adored died of cancer at beginning of season.
(emblems on helmet were in her memory)

THIS ENTIRE SEASON WAS DEDICATED TO THE CN VICTIMS AND THE MOTHER.

From day1 the goal/thought process was winning the state title in their honor

PERIOD

The team was reaching for the stars...do you think they DIDNT want to play the section final?
It was the CN coaching staff that put the presentation together to add those state title games so the NCS title games could be played.

The minute the dipshit NCS committee (with Eureka on that committee) decided on the coin flip scenario it was Cardinal Newman (as the best non open team left) that had the most to lose.

so before you think you have all the answers maybe you should look a little more closely on why a decision was made by the CN seniors....

and yes Cronin let them make the decision....

so FU on the hubris and you can STFU

Edited to add - a thought just occurred to me, and perhaps I need to give Cronin a bit more credit here for next level thinking. If CN had won an NCS title, they would have been bumped up to D2 next year because of competitive equity. Even if they'd lost in the NCS D3 title game, they'd have had 20 points and almost certainly would have been bumped up the following year. Without an NCS D3 title game in 2018, they should only get the 6 points that go with a semifinal appearance. That not only guarantees CN will be in D3 next year, barring a championship appearance next year it pretty well leaves them in D3 for at least the next 2 years (at which point last year's finals appearance comes off the books). If, as Larry et. al. have said, this was the best CN team to come along and there's an expectation that there will be a drop off after this season, making a state run while also guaranteeing you get to stay in D3 and avoid Marin Catholic and Bishop O'Dowd for a while is genius.

youre an idiot

Giving the schools that advanced to the section title game the coin flip choice wasn't the worst idea in the world.....but how it got to that point and the way the coin flip was treated as the default solution (rather than playing all the games to determine section champions being the default) was a cluster.

The NCS could've moved games and gotten every section playoff game in, but it refused to do anything that took legitimate effort or wasn't the status quo even though the circumstances created by a disaster necessitated that the NCS playoffs (and subsequently the regional and state bowl games involving NCS teams) be completed in a unique way this year. Communities offered to help offset travel costs so all games could be played on a timeline that fit into the adjusted regional/state bowl timeline, but the NCS declined.

Once the NCS, through its own fault, could only play championship games or send representatives to regional bowl games, it came up with the subpar coin flip option. Then, after umpteen poor choices and an effort to avoid having to make difficult choices (such as choosing to play out NCS playoffs and forego bowl games), it let one vote in favor of a coin flip overrule the opposing school's desire to play the section title game and determine an NCS champ on the field. They only should've tossed a coin if both schools wanted a coin toss.

That said, I'm thrilled Eureka won the toss. The team that wanted its season to end on the field gets that while the team that was okay letting a coin flip decide its fate had its season ended by the toss of a coin. It is poetic justice. If it were up to EHS, it'd be playing CN for a section title next week. At least it gets a chance to play for something else now.

Reactions: noknight
The only "hubris" being exhibited is from you thinking you understand the thought process of what went into the decision the kids made.

In case you forgot:

in the last 15 mos....

1. Half the school burned down
2. kids lost their homes and possessions
3. Popular mom who the seniors adored died of cancer at beginning of season.
(emblems on helmet were in her memory)

THIS ENTIRE SEASON WAS DEDICATED TO THE CN VICTIMS AND THE MOTHER.

From day1 the goal/thought process was winning the state title in their honor

PERIOD

The team was reaching for the stars...do you think they DIDNT want to play the section final?
It was the CN coaching staff that put the presentation together to add those state title games so the NCS title games could be played.

The minute the dipshit NCS committee (with Eureka on that committee) decided on the coin flip scenario it was Cardinal Newman (as the best non open team left) that had the most to lose.

so before you think you have all the answers maybe you should look a little more closely on why a decision was made by the CN seniors....

and yes Cronin let them make the decision....

so FU on the hubris and you can STFU

Buddy, this extends way beyond one season or one sport. But you're telling me that the only way to honor a mom was to win a state title and not even an NCS D3 title?

And funny, I remember Eureka et. al. offering to host games the weekend before, but not everybody wanted to play up there (not sure where CN landed on that vote).

The truth is, only CN and Stellar Prep decided that they were willing to gamble their entire season on the toss of a coin, and that an NCS title was inconsequential compared to chasing a state title. So F-me and I can shut the F-up, but I haven't said a single thing that wasn't true.

youre an idiot

e5c.jpg

HS school ball is funny. These kids will remember that team vote until they die.

They should hold their head high but in the end you want to play ball and not forsake the competition.

HS school ball is funny. These kids will remember that team vote until they die.

They should hold their head high but in the end you want to play ball and not forsake the competition.

Yeah much like the Healsdburg kids earlier this year, this will be a life lesson decision a lot of them will not forget. I get wanting the chance at the SBG shot and going big, so I see that angle.

But the regional and SBG games are far from perfect and even watered down with way to many divisions (need to go back to 5) and even letting losers join in. So winning a NCS title is much more pure and clean of an achievement and you get to play it out on the field.

So many wrongs in the whole scenario, but obviously that Buffon Gil Lemon and his crew burden the blame and own it in the long run.

The only good part is at least a legit team gets to move on. Eureka is a very good team. Had they met on the field, yes I would have favored Newam, but that was no guarantee. So it’s not like some slapdick just got lucky and moved in. Eureka will be a good rep.

So as far as bowl games go, where would Eureka project? Same spot as CN?
Since the CIF tends to match brackets according to strength (along with league/sectional alignment) I would expect Eureka to be placed in a lower division. They might get paired with the likes of Aptos, Menlo Atherton, Pleasant Valley or Colfax. Capital Christian or San Joaqiun Memorial might be an option too.

Oh, CIF just announced Eureka is paired with Menlo Atherton

So does this mean Eureka won the NCS D3 championship by the coin flip, or just that they get to move on?

So does this mean Eureka won the NCS D3 championship by the coin flip, or just that they get to move on?

From what was posted before, no NCS D3 winner will be declared - the title will be listed as vacated. Eureka just gets the bid to play on.

Anyone who finds any level of humor in this coin flip debacle is an absolute donkey.

Tough situation. Keep it simple and respectful. Tough end for Cardinal Newman, good luck to Eureka in NorCal Bowl.

Reactions: bella123
So Cardinal Newman is out despite not losing on the field, but both St. Francis and Liberty-Brentwood who both lost yesterday are in?

What a wonderful system we have.

Absolute joke.

It’s bad enough that a coin flip determined the Regional participant, but so much worse that 2 teams that lost are moving on. Just because they call it ‘Open’ is no excuse.

IMO, as nonsensical as this would be, it makes more sense to me that both CN and Eureka move on before SF and Liberty. At least those two teams didn’t actually lose.

So Cardinal Newman is out despite not losing on the field, but both St. Francis and Liberty-Brentwood who both lost yesterday are in?

Absolute joke.

It’s bad enough that a coin flip determined the Regional participant, but so much worse that 2 teams that lost are moving on. Just because they call it ‘Open’ is no excuse.

IMO, as nonsensical as this would be, it makes more sense to me that both CN and Eureka move on before SF and Liberty. At least those two teams didn’t actually lose.

And there’s now regional games with byes. Dont know why we even have sections anymore. The admins have completely failed due to what i see as,just plain laziness or stupidity. They could have made something work, but took the easy way out, at the expense of all the teams they represent. And their decisions have sewn discord amongst the member schools by making the players choose between state championship or section final. And obviously that has become a devisive issue due to different philospohies of the various teams and their priorities..none of which are wrong, just different. And then there’s sections like oal and san francisco that are just leagues that get a free pass to regionals and sbgs. Thats a true joke, relative to the gauntlets teams endure in ncs, sjs, ss, etc. next year every team should opt out of playoffs sanctioned by sections and instead participate in and organized real playoff system, based on enrollment (not competitive equity crap), thats put together by a legal, independent body. I know that sounds extreme, but we should be looking in that direction, even if it takes a long time and amdifferent form.

Reactions: bella123
And there’s now regional games with byes. Dont know why we even have sections anymore. The admins have completely failed due to what i see as,just plain laziness or stupidity. They could have made something work, but took the easy way out, at the expense of all the teams they represent. And their decisions have sewn discord amongst the member schools by making the players choose between state championship or section final. And obviously that has become a devisive issue due to different philospohies of the various teams and their priorities..none of which are wrong, just different. And then there’s sections like oal and san francisco that are just leagues that get a free pass to regionals and sbgs. Thats a true joke, relative to the gauntlets teams endure in ncs, sjs, ss, etc. next year every team should opt out of playoffs sanctioned by sections and instead participate in and organized real playoff system, based on enrollment (not competitive equity crap), thats put together by a legal, independent body. I know that sounds extreme, but we should be looking in that direction, even if it takes a long time and amdifferent form.

Here's the thing that I don't understand - why is it that the state of California can't have a normal playoff the way that every other state does? There are 1,049 high school football teams in the state. Let's say we divide the state into 9 divisions based on enrollment plus an open division (meaning ~100 teams per division). Now divide each division into 16 regions (meaning ~ 6 games per region per year). You can then fill your regular season up with 4 OOC games to get to 10. Each region crowns a winner and a runner-up based on round robin (meaning that, even for schools that are in remote areas, they'd be forced to play ~3 road games a year that might require any kind of distance). That allows for each of the regions to hold a 32 team playoff, culminating in a legitimate championship game in 5 weeks (no different than 3 rounds of NCS regionals, a NorCal/SoCal game and the bowl game). Think it can't be done? States like Florida do it...

https://www.fhsaa.org/sports/football

In doing this (much like @1tunz1 just suggested) it gets rid of things like having the San Francisco and Oakland sections and lets teams play it out on the field. You can re-evaluate alignments and classifications every 5 years or so.

And then we get CCS with large D1 schools that lose playing on in lower divisions against small schools. Losing and moving on in a lower division bowl game is bullshit. And it's teams like this that "win state". Even though we all know a number of these teams would get destroyed playing schools with equivalent enrollments in bowl games

Reactions: 1tunz1 and bella123

Absolute joke.

Yeah TR real bummer all the way around. What else can you say. Great season by Newman and a wonderful career for those seniors.
Life goes on. Those are good kids. I'm pulling for Eureka now. Gotta try to stay positive.

Yeah TR real bummer all the way around. What else can you say. Great season by Newman and a wonderful career for those seniors.
Life goes on. Those are good kids. I'm pulling for Eureka now. Gotta try to stay positive.

Pretty much the reality of the situation. CN can’t be mad about how it played out. They chose this way and knew the team advancing would have nothing to do with football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT