ADVERTISEMENT

Every HS program owes DLS thanks

Everything has a purpose...

I see your post on here with the attitude that you know everything and you are better than everyone else. Look at your name- "Spartunz." You boast about a HIGH SCHOOL and you are a grown adult. Get over yourself.

I am just glad I could put you in your place...

By the way, Folsom was a better team than DLS this year
laugh.r191677.gif
ouch!

Originally posted by Spartunz:

24 paid coaches on DLS staff was my focus? No way. The same way passionate players find their way to DLS through its perrenial winning brand name (which is not RECRUITING, get over it). Passionate Coaches as well find their way to DLS, and Larry Allen is a great recent example. The legendary white shirts are all volunteer also, always there. Many have never had a kid in the program or are decades removed from when their children attended. Amazing to me to watch that level of dedication year in and year out.
Spartunz, the 24 coaches that 1315 had referred to are shown on page 59 of the DLS Fact Book that he had attached. He didn't just pull that number out of the blue. I'm pretty sure each of them are paid, or they probably would be listed in the Fact Book. They are not all varsity coaches, but as you stated, there are a lot of volunteer coaches helping out at DLS as well. Watching a DLS game vs local opponents and it is clear there are a lot more coaches on the sidelines than the other school. Whether that is an advantage or not I don't know, but it would be hard to see it as a disadvantage.

DLS Fact Book

Awww. I don't read the board for a week and miss the regular post-season "DLS has all the advantages" thread. Sorry I'm late, but I'll offer my 2 cents on a # of topics covered:

Sac Coach talks about DLS "recruiting" and refers to Christian Brothers trekking to local parochial schools to give presentations on DLS. That's not normally the type of "recruiting" that gets talked about on HS football forums, but I'm going to admit that DLS is absolutely guilty of giving presentations to parochial 8th grade kids -- I think there might even be free cookies involved. BTW, I am fairly certain that any of these parochials would welcome the local public to present at their school (something I'm also confident would not be reciprocated to DLS by any publics). Mea culpa.DLS has been referred to as the "East Bay All-Star team" often in this thread. There were 20 players on the 1st team all East Bay team that were NOT Spartans, so I think we're a little short of that definition being anything more than whining.# of coaches -- I guarantee you that all of these guys are not paid. I actually had the opportunity to be a "coach" at DLS (different sport) and that opportunity didn't include a stipend. They get volunteers. Publics can do the same thing and a lot of them do.
Does DLS enjoy advantages in their athletic program via not being constrained by boundaries? Absolutely, but they also EARNED those advantages by creating a desirable school to attend, including specific activities (i.e. football) that directly appeal to certain potential students. DLS was behind Moroau, Salesian, St. Mary's, BOD in terms of interest before the program was built. If anyone wants to indict them for being an attractive option, then they're guilty.

Some of the worst offenders of "recruiting in the country are public schools -- many in CA (i.e. LBP, MV, CC, Folsom???). DLS doesn't recruit (except for the milk and cookies presentations to local parochial boy student bodies). Still, DLS is inarguably the #1 HS football program in the country (and has been for 20 years). Maybe instead of the usual group of haters focusing on DLS advantages, one could say that even among all of the privates in country, how have they managed to stand out so far for so long.

Imagine what they'd be like if, like a public, they were able to implement their system into 6th - 8th graders? Maybe we should separate publics and privates because that's a public advantage and privates shouldn't have to deal with that.

DLS POP....agree with everything you wrote, except about the feeder program. The bottom line is DLS skims the very top of the youth programs, so instead of drawing from one league, they get the best from all leagues.

If the SoCal model is ever implemented, and Pittsburg High can stack players from along the Highway 4 corridor (or simply retain all the athletes they lose to DLS), they would be competitive with DLS year in and year out...no question. DLS has a unique situation, because unlike the SF or San Jose Catholic Prep Schools, they have the East Bay to themselves.

Bottom line is they have great academics, great coaching, great athletic programs, and a great big advantage.

Clayton Valley with the Charter status is the next in line to have an advantage....no doubt about that either.

Spartunz - I guarantee you G is a Republican. He's the ultimate troll and laughing all the way.

G- Not a big city fan. I create my "work trips" where I want to go. A couple days of fun before and after and three days to seven days of doing what I love doing for work in between. No golf. I played 20 years and haven't played 20 years.

Yes, I see the number broken out by level in the fact book. (Var/JV/Frosh) What i don't see is where it says these are paid staff positions.

Why would they list them in the Fact Book if they weren't real coaching positions? I guess it's possible some of them refuse a paycheck, but it's incredible that people even dispute what DLS puts out as facts.

Originally posted by observer22:
Why would they list them in the Fact Book if they weren't real coaching positions? I guess it's possible some of them refuse a paycheck, but it's incredible that people even dispute what DLS puts out as facts.
Why do you think this is important?

Proof of another private advantage?

Here's the coaching staff for Allen HS (TX), one of three possible DLS opponents for the opener next year

Allen has more coaches than DLS

Allen is a public high school

Allen just built a $60m stadium last year

This post was edited on 1/10 3:17 AM by DLSPop1314

This post was edited on 1/10 3:18 AM by DLSPop1314

Allen Varsity Coaches

DLS is a private school that uses private funds.

Allen is a public school that uses public funds. High school football is everything in Allen, Texas. They have the community support and taxes to support building a multi-million dollar stadium. Big difference.

Folsom is a public high school. Come look at the facilities there. It makes DLS look like a broken down junior high.

Life is a competition...win it
uzi.r191677.gif

Observer, The Fact Book is NOT a 10-K filing. The listing of coaches in there have no correlation to paid or unpaid coaches. The page before it breaks out the athletic accomplishments of the teams. More than likely the numbers were pulled from this sheet:

http://www.dlshs.org/data/files/AthleticTeams/Teams/De_La_Salle_Football_Schedule_13_31.pdf

At best, on Varsity I see 3 coaches who are bona fide teachers during the day getting paid.

That is a far cry from the initial claim on this board that DLS outragously keeps 24 paid coaches for their Varsity (implied) team.

Just calling bullsh** out when I see it.

DLS homers are always the VERY FIRST to call out any BS associated with "the program."

Total and complete homers...
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by DLSPop1314:

Originally posted by observer22:
Why do you think this is important?

Proof of another private advantage?

Here's the coaching staff for Allen HS (TX), one of three possible DLS opponents for the opener next year

Allen has more coaches than DLS

Allen is a public high school

Allen just built a $60m stadium last year

This post was edited on 1/10 3:17 AM by DLSPop1314

This post was edited on 1/10 3:18 AM by DLSPop1314
I never said it was important. Just found it interesting that some DLS supporters felt it was important and will try to refute anything that might make it seem like DLS has a percived advantage in some way, even if it is publised in a DLS "Fact Book". It was not my original post, and don't know that it relates to any perceived advantages, but obviously hit some nerves at some level. I don't know anything about Allen or how they relate to this thread, other than they may owe DLS some thanks.

DLS people are completely delusional. DLS has unlimited access to all the best athletes throughout the Bay Area, but has ZERO competitive advantage. Having no district boundaries is not advantage at all over most public schools. DLS supporters want you to think that they have set national records on the backs on "tradition" and "coaching." Talking about the talent or "recruiting" is considered taboo.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the DLS supporters do not even have jobs, as they are posting on here all day
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by paul_johnson884:
Allen 25 coaches
DLS 24 coaches

Allen the favorites by two TD's
Allen would get destroyed by DLS without that QB. Kid reminds me of Allen Iverson. Allen could have 1000 coaches. No way they recover from that loss next season. If DLS is going to Texas I hope they don't play Allen.

This post was edited on 1/10 3:45 PM by slick58

You know the saying....tell the lie often enough then it becomes the truth.

24 paid coaches on varsity? Thought I would just nip that one in the bud before that malarkey starts showing up everywhere as fact.

observer22, if you donated of your time to a program for an entire season, would you not expect some acknowledgement at the end of the season? What is a real coaching position? I have coached many teams and never once been paid. However I was acknowledged. Capisce?

This post was edited on 1/11 7:52 AM by ricoturbo88

You're right. On behalf of all high schools in Northern California, Thanks De La Salle.

This post was edited on 1/11 8:49 AM by rez96

Good call Spartunz, "You know the saying....tell the lie often enough then it becomes the truth."
I agree, Spartunz, we need to nip malarkey in the bud with cavalier statements.

"Twenty four football coaches on the payroll. Talk about doing more with less. I have a little more respect for my kids' coaching staffs now." That is my statement regarding p. 60 on the fact sheet. Nothing, nada, said about varsity.

Explain to me how it is implied those 24 coaches are on varsity?

Just saw a good play about Molly Ivins and her search for the truth as a journalist. Got to chat with Pelosi there under the watchful eye of the SS.
Unlike the "Fact Book," DLS website for 2014 shows 11 Varsity coaches, (an eqpt. mgr,) 6 JV and 5 Frosh. That makes 21. There does not appear to be names, as cited on this forum for volunteers. So maybe that's more accurate than the "Fact Book." Cannot be sure as it also has citations for "National Champions" and I thought the first game for that was this Monday.

I am willing to bet that "Spartunz" does not have a "real" job....quote me
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by rez96:

You're right. On behalf of all high schools in Northern California, Thanks De La Salle.

This post was edited on 1/11 8:49 AM by rez96
Hah! Finally...........
and now.....

1) Drinks are on me, tell Andy or Abe the bartenders to put 1st drink on concrete's tab
2) Go up to the Will Call window at Oracle Arena, tell Gus you are there to pick up your court side tickets, tell him concrete sent you
3) What the hey, if you read this soon enough the 1st two people run out to Southwest airlines, pickup your reserved seats for a flight to Dallas tomorrow, tell Lupe the counter person concrete left them there for you. Bridgette your flight stewardess will hand you your 50 yard line tickets for the NCFC when you tell her concrete sent you.
4) ...and if all else fails, don't worry about paying for parking on the street tomorrow at work; tell pretty Rita meter maid you know concrete.......

1315 - While your post did not outright state varsity, (thats why I had implied in parens). That didn't stop SacCoachA from assuming it did and I didn't see you stepping in to clarify your misdirection!

SacCoach
DLS has 24 paid football coaches? Wow. The schools in my district have 10, and can add an 11th if there are 45 players on the varsity team. That is quite a discrepancy.

Explained enough?

G61- Why don't you try walking a mile in the average DLS parents shoes before shooting your worthless mouth off.

This post was edited on 1/11 8:04 PM by Spartunz

Because you fit the "typical DLS parent" stereotype...

Online all day...without a "real job"

What a travesty!
laugh.r191677.gif

G- you posted at 10 AM. Pot calling the kettle black? Government job break between 10-1030?
uzi.r191677.gif

You have to take a break when you are at a computer all day...

But I am sure neither of you know what that is all about...

Online shopping doesn't count
laugh.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT