ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite to win the norcal D1 Bowl bid

Who's everyone got? Is Folsom going to run away with it? Or will someone upset them?
Im stumped!
There is no longer a D1 Bowl bid. There is a Div 1-AA and Div 1-A bowl games as well as a state Open. Folsom will absolutely play in Div 1-AA if they finish undefeated and would get consideration for Open if DLS should find a way to lose.

Reactions: FootballJunky101
There is no longer a D1 Bowl bid. There is a Div 1-AA and Div 1-A bowl games as well as a state Open. Folsom will absolutely play in Div 1-AA if they finish undefeated and would get consideration for Open if DLS should find a way to lose.
Thank you for corrections good sir

Maybe Folsom should play in the open game this year if they can go undefeated

wouldn't that be awesome for lil ol folsom!

Might happen since dls lost already and they put a sjs team over dls before in the open game so they could do it again...it’ll be good to see Folsom play 1 of so cals top 3 teams since they are 1 of norcals top 3...

Reactions: nascar624
Might happen since dls lost already and they put a sjs team over dls before in the open game so they could do it again...it’ll be good to see Folsom play 1 of so cals top 3 teams since they are 1 of norcals top 3...
thatd be awesme my friend beat those socalers!

Who would Folsom play in the Regional game for D1AA[/QUOTE

If Folsom gets past everybody in the sjs I’d put them in the open game no reason not to If indeed the sfl is the best league in NorCal then maybe a team outside of dls should get a shot at a true state title and get their shot at a so cal power team..personally I wanna see them play another top 5 team in the state

Reactions: patrick916
If things hold, DLS will be Open and Folsom (assuming it wins SJS D1) will likely play the NCS Open runner up (Pittsburg) or the CCS Open II Winner (likely St. Francis, Serra or Valley Christian)

Lots of assumptions in that statement, but how it projects right now.

Not going to happen this year without another DLS loss. This has been discussed on the board before, if Folsom wants to play in the Open, they need to schedule Elite teams. They play a strong schedule, but it is not elite. They need to find a way to play BG or one of the Elite So-Cal teams. Would love for them to schedule Centennial - a similar high octane offense! Only other way is to eliminate the Folsom Rule and make the Open teams play in to that game. Who wouldnt want to see DLS vs Folsom again?

Reactions: remc and nascar624
Not going to happen this year without another DLS loss. This has been discussed on the board before, if Folsom wants to play in the Open, they need to schedule Elite teams. They play a strong schedule, but it is not elite. They need to find a way to play BG or one of the Elite So-Cal teams. Would love for them to schedule Centennial - a similar high octane offense! Only other way is to eliminate the Folsom Rule and make the Open teams play in to that game. Who wouldnt want to see DLS vs Folsom again?
Nobody wants to see it again it’s why the rule was put in place but it’ll be nice to see them play a Mater Dei cenn ten or bosco..or whoever gets past them 3 and we all know it’s not gonna happen outside of the state game so why not make it happen in the state game by putting them in the open...you can dodge socials top 5-6 teams by playing in d1state game

Reactions: awood1
I wouldn't say nobody wants to see it. With the advent of the NCS Open 4-team division, DLS plays less games now than when they were in the 16 team D-1 bracket. I would love to see the "Folsom Rule" repealed and replaced with a NorCal Open game (and SoCal) so that the best 2 teams in NorCal will play every year and not have to wonder what might have been in years when the #2 team to DLS is strong. The runner up can always be given a bowl game with the runner up in the SoCal Open, especially now that they have watered everything down with 13 or more bowl games. Have the final 4 battle it out on the field rather then on the keyboards.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say nobody wants to see it. With the advent of the NCS Open 4-team division, DLS plays less games now than when they were in the 16 team D-1 bracket. I would love to see the "Folsom Rule" repealed and replaced with a NorCal Open game (and SoCal) so that the best 2 teams in NorCal will play every year and not have to wonder what might have been in years when the #2 team to DLS is strong. The runner up can always be given a bowl game with the runner up in the SoCal Open, especially now that they have watered everything down with 13 or more bowl games. Have the final 4 battle it out on the field rather then on the keyboards.

Just let dls play the #2 team then the loser plays the d1 regional game

No doubt Folsom will be again the #1 seed for the SJS D1 section playoffs. They still have Rocklin and OR on their schedule, 10/27 and 11/3, respectively. Although they will be favored, OR might give the Bulldogs a good game, just like they did last year.

I'll be your huckleberry! ... If St. Mary's - Stockton can avoid turnovers and penalties and fine-tune their offense going into the playoffs, the Rams should be able to match up well vs Folsom. But, St. Mary's will need their QB, Aponte, to step up big to compete with Folsom. Had the Rams QB, Noah May, been available, I am confident that Folsom would have been the #2 seed (not #1). Still, I anticipate the Rams to go deep into the playoffs with Aponte gaining more and more QB experience. SM's Dusty Frampton is still recovering from a concussion (from Mater Dei game), but will be ready for the playoffs. SM's strength at this time of the season is their defense, more so this year than their offense. The Rams just need to play a clean game and they will no doubt compete. Sure they lost to a very good Central Catholic team. But, the number of turnovers and the penalties are what beat the Rams in not being able to sustain an offense (think about it ... the Rams scored more points vs Mater Dei than they did vs Central Catholic).

We all remember what happened in 2009 in projecting Grant vs St. Mary's for the championship. I still think there are other competitive SJS D1 teams who will have something to say once playoffs commence.

Very much looking forward to the playoffs. GO SM RAMS!!!

No doubt Folsom will be again the #1 seed for the SJS D1 section playoffs. They still have Rocklin and OR on their schedule, 10/27 and 11/3, respectively. Although they will be favored, OR might give the Bulldogs a good game, just like they did last year.

I'll be your huckleberry! ... If St. Mary's - Stockton can avoid turnovers and penalties and fine-tune their offense going into the playoffs, the Rams should be able to match up well vs Folsom. But, St. Mary's will need their QB, Aponte, to step up big to compete with Folsom. Had the Rams QB, Noah May, been available, I am confident that Folsom would have been the #2 seed (not #1). Still, I anticipate the Rams to go deep into the playoffs with Aponte gaining more and more QB experience. SM's Dusty Frampton is still recovering from a concussion (from Mater Dei game), but will be ready for the playoffs. SM's strength at this time of the season is their defense, more so this year than their offense. The Rams just need to play a clean game and they will no doubt compete. Sure they lost to a very good Central Catholic team. But, the number of turnovers and the penalties are what beat the Rams in not being able to sustain an offense (think about it ... the Rams scored more points vs Mater Dei than they did vs Central Catholic).

We all remember what happened in 2009 in projecting Grant vs St. Mary's for the championship. I still think there are other competitive SJS D1 teams who will have something to say once playoffs commence.

Very much looking forward to the playoffs. GO SM RAMS!!!

I like St. Mary’s chances against Folsom. St. Mary’s is a solid program with athletes but if you can’t complete slants and hitches Folsom will pin their ears back for the run..I watched every second of Folsom vs sac high...sac high looked better than Folsom I think play calling hurt them. With that being said I know St. Mary’s has the athletes to run man coverage like sac high did to me that’s the only way you can beat a good spread team..as a St. Mary’s fan I know you are aware of that. If your qb can complete hitches and slants I could see the upset...

Reactions: bulldogmgc
The two best teams already play in So Cal in the SS D1 championship.Its probably a good thing for Nor Cal that they don’t designate their playoffs an open which it is.

Folsom will still have to beat Oak Ridge to stay undefeated. And then, I feel the stiffest test in the playoffs will be St. Mary's. They have two losses, but both to very good and a great team. I've seen Folsom struggle at times, and feel Folsom will have to be playing near their best to beat St. Mary's, and then the bay area's 2nd best.

The two best teams already play in So Cal in the SS D1 championship.Its probably a good thing for Nor Cal that they don’t designate their playoffs an open which it is.[/
They also gotta knock off cenn ten also and other high comp out there it’s the toughest playoffs in the nation for a reason our very best in nor cal (dls)could very well be their 5th best team in most years unless dls has one of those teams where nobody is stopping them...but they have a lot of programs out there outside of Mater Dei, bosco, cenn ten...that could be ranked very high if they were up north...

While I agree with this statement for the most part, I will say they don't necessarily need to schedule elite. Grant didn't have a single elite team on their schedule the year they got picked over DLS for the Open. The only thing they had going for them in their favor was 2 of their victories came from state champs from non-power football states and DLS had a loss against an elite opponent. Much like this year except Folsom most likely won't have any state champs on their resume. I doubt the Idaho school will win state.

While I agree with this statement for the most part, I will say they don't necessarily need to schedule elite. Grant didn't have a single elite team on their schedule the year they got picked over DLS for the Open. The only thing they had going for them in their favor was 2 of their victories came from state champs from non-power football states and DLS had a loss against an elite opponent. Much like this year except Folsom most likely won't have any state champs on their resume. I doubt the Idaho school will win state.

The eye test is all that’s needed sometimes I’m not big on what if’s but if grant would took care of rocklin they would’ve got picked ahead of dls again...Now for nor cal sake if Folsom keeps dominating every game in sections having zero losses and playing in the tougher nor cal league the eye test can put Folsom in the open and give them a shot at a top caliber team

I would disagree that year for a couple of reasons. Alta, who was the Utah champion, was a top 15 Nationally ranked team that year, which would be an Elite team. Also, that year DLS struggled locally and almost lost 2 NorCal games - beating Serra by 1 and Loyola/CA games were 1 TD victories even though they were not especially strong teams. It was controversial when Graht were picked back then over DLS. Folsom has the other problem of two blowout losses when people were stating how strong they were, and that will make it harder for Folsom to be picked over DLS in the future. Folsom is a great program, great team, that needs to schedule up a bit to be seriously taken over DLS.

Reactions: Trips R SluGo L
The eye test is all that’s needed sometimes I’m not big on what if’s but if grant would took care of rocklin they would’ve got picked ahead of dls again...Now for nor cal sake if Folsom keeps dominating every game in sections having zero losses and playing in the tougher nor cal league the eye test can put Folsom in the open and give them a shot at a top caliber team
Don't get me wrong, I actually want to see Folsom in Open. DLS already has a loss, so would much rather see another undefeated NorCal team goto the meatgrinder against most likely MD or SJB, but don't see Folsom getting picked over DLS, should both win out

Folsom has the other problem of two blowout losses when people were stating how strong they were, and that will make it harder for Folsom to be picked over DLS in the future.
While I will agree to an extent, I will say that past wins and losses should not affect the selection in the current year. With that said, I still believe based on SOS that DLS should be then open rep as of right now. Either way, it's been fun so far!

I would disagree that year for a couple of reasons. Alta, who was the Utah champion, was a top 15 Nationally ranked team that year, which would be an Elite team. Also, that year DLS struggled locally and almost lost 2 NorCal games - beating Serra by 1 and Loyola/CA games were 1 TD victories even though they were not especially strong teams. It was controversial when Graht were picked back then over DLS. Folsom has the other problem of two blowout losses when people were stating how strong they were, and that will make it harder for Folsom to be picked over DLS in the future. Folsom is a great program, great team, that needs to schedule up a bit to be seriously taken over DLS.
Just curious what poll you were going by?The highest I saw for them was 30 or 31 nationally. Not saying Alta was a slouch, but not necessarily in agreement that they were elite. Personally I felt the Grant pick was a good choice because of DLS' early season woes. Also definitely agree Folsom is there own worse enemy when it comes to their schedule and that could definitely go against them

Reactions: Trips R SluGo L
I just believe we should have to go through dls to play for state just like the schools down south have to play each other...if they formatted a way to send atleast their best two teams it’ll suck for us...

Reactions: remc
Just curious what poll you were going by?The highest I saw for them was 30 or 31 nationally. Not saying Alta was a slouch, but not necessarily in agreement that they were elite. Personally I felt the Grant pick was a good choice because of DLS' early season woes. Also definitely agree Folsom is there own worse enemy when it comes to their schedule and that could definitely go against them
http://calpreps.com/2008/ratings/National_all25.htm

I just believe we should have to go through dls to play for state just like the schools down south have to play each other...if they formatted a way to send atleast their best two teams it’ll suck for us...
Folsom should play DLS for this right. Interestingly enough, the calpreps projection tool sees it like this:

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2017] Folsom (CA) 35, [2017] De La Salle (Concord, CA) 28

I was all set to dispute the same assertion and upon further checking, found out he's not only correct, but CP had them at #12 nationally even with the loss to Grant -- they were 13-1 that year with TWO wins over #50 Bingham

Reactions: nascar624
I like St. Mary’s chances against Folsom. St. Mary’s is a solid program with athletes but if you can’t complete slants and hitches Folsom will pin their ears back for the run..I watched every second of Folsom vs sac high...sac high looked better than Folsom I think play calling hurt them. With that being said I know St. Mary’s has the athletes to run man coverage like sac high did to me that’s the only way you can beat a good spread team..as a St. Mary’s fan I know you are aware of that. If your qb can complete hitches and slants I could see the upset...

While I respect your opinion there is no way St. Mary's could even stay close to any of the top three SFL teams this year.

While I respect your opinion there is no way St. Mary's could even stay close to any of the top three SFL teams this year.

Lol I guess the sfl is full of Mater Dei and boscos...let’s be clear sac high beat Folsom and nearly did it again this year and they are not on St. Mary’s level

St. Marys is a great team this year. I don't know what everyone else is talking about! I think that game would be amazing.

I personally think St. Mary's is the only team that can really match up with the Dawgs.

What happend in the CC vs St. Mary's game? Central won 20-7. In my opinion I don't think this is one of CC's better teams, yet they beat St. Mary's by 2 td's. I guess we will see how good CC is on Nov 3rd when Oakdale plays them.

St. Marys is a great team this year. I don't know what everyone else is talking about! I think that game would be amazing.

I personally think St. Mary's is the only team that can really match up with the Dawgs.

Sac high matched up pretty well I think...it’s clear you neee athletes to match up against a well ran spread offense and the leagues folsom and St. Mary’s plays in the others don’t have the luxury of having year to year outside of zone blocking schemes the outside is based off 1 on 1 match ups and in d1 play offs I can only imagine St. Mary’s being the threat to folsom

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT