ADVERTISEMENT

Final Sierra Canyon 61 Redondo Union 39

SC for real 50-31 end of 3

Im impressed on the surface as that was the last real challenge of the 2 or 3 tough games S.C. had this season. Did you see the game? Did Redondo Union have all their starters healthy and out of foul trouble? I would have thought the game might be a little closer. Congratulations to S.C. !

Sierra Canyon is a very good team that has played a difficult schedule. They've traveled and beaten everyone in their path. Redondo Union is small, and has two young guards, and isn't quite ready for prime time. (And why not ask if Sierra Canyon had everyone healthy?)

And as for what they have in front of them, I think the Southern Section Open will qualify as a challenge ...

Sierra Canyon is a very good team that has played a difficult schedule. They've traveled and beaten everyone in their path. Redondo Union is small, and has two young guards, and isn't quite ready for prime time. (And why not ask if Sierra Canyon had everyone healthy?)

And as for what they have in front of them, I think the Southern Section Open will qualify as a challenge ...

There was no need to ask if Sierra Canyon had everyone healthy. They had the lop-sided win against a pretty good nationally ranked team. The score seemed larger than most expected. Sierra Canyon (a team that missed the Nike TOC where they could have played teams like MCD, St. Johns, New Hope, Centennial, Windward( at a tournament playing 4 tough games in four consecutive days back to back on the road) would have been much harder than the present resume they have compiled IMO.

That said Sierra Canyon ( a California team) seems to be good enough to have played in the highest level at the TOC.

But since you brought it up and often have a bit of inside information.... Did Sierra canyon or Redondo Union have any injuries or significant foul trouble during the game?

I have no idea about injuries in that game ... just pointing out that sometimes people look for excuses/reasons for the losers and never ask the same question about the winners.

Of course Sierra Canyon could have gone to the TOC, but it's not as if they didn't go anywhere. Bishop McNamara wasn't there either.

I'm as big a booster for the TOC as anyone, but it's not mandatory for teams. If they play quality opposition, as Sierra Canyon has (its strength of schedule is 22.4, which is around tenth in the state), to go there. And it wasn't their fault that the organizers in Oregon decided Southridge needed to be in a different division.

Reactions: Paytc
I have no idea about injuries in that game ... just pointing out that sometimes people look for excuses/reasons for the losers and never ask the same question about the winners.

Of course Sierra Canyon could have gone to the TOC, but it's not as if they didn't go anywhere. Bishop McNamara wasn't there either.

I'm as big a booster for the TOC as anyone, but it's not mandatory for teams. If they play quality opposition, as Sierra Canyon has (its strength of schedule is 22.4, which is around tenth in the state), to go there. And it wasn't their fault that the organizers in Oregon decided Southridge needed to be in a different division.

That is why there are several ranking polls. Some see SOS differently than a computer which doesn't take into account that playing Windward or anyone else at the TOC is by far different than playing Windward in your own backyard. IMO I think MCD (which is probably not the best team in the nation) winning the Nike TOC will be far greater a challenge than anything else they win this season. And I'm not so sure Sierra Canyon or Bishop McNamara would have been able to play well at perhaps the toughest tournament in the nation. Perhaps they would have won the Nike TOC? But not going we will never know. So in my poll I take that into account in terms of how tough a challenge they've taken on and over come.

We don't have to agree. That is why there are a number of polls. It's just the real SOS is a larger factor than the speculation factor in my poll. Real challenges don't lie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT