ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom Schedule 2024

Just saw on twitter Folsom is opening the season with games against Long Beach Poly and Serra!

Coach Doherty deserves a lot of credit for his tougher scheduling ever since he took over.

That is one thing about trying to schedule good teams from out of the area. Those teams need to want to travel, too. LB Poly has historically been one of those teams.

Kudos to Folsom for getting this game.

Awesome! It’s interesting that Corona Centennial was looking for 3 games for next season. I wonder if they discussed playing.

Just saw on twitter Folsom is opening the season with games against Long Beach Poly and Serra!

Coach Doherty deserves a lot of credit for his tougher scheduling ever since he took over.
How good is Poly these days? Or Serra? Traditionally those two programs check all the boxes, and admittedly I haven't followed either very closely. But is scheduling both if them the coup that the comments imply?

How good is Poly these days? Or Serra? Traditionally those two programs check all the boxes, and admittedly I haven't followed either very closely. But is scheduling both if them the coup that the comments imply?

LB Poly lost in the SS D-2 playoffs.

Serra... well, they just played in the CIF State Open Division championship against Mater Dei. They beat a team you may have heard about the last couple of years. De La Salle?

• Haha
Reactions: aztecpadre
Curious if this is a home and home with Long Beach Poly? Good addition to the Bulldogs schedule

I’ve brought this up before. While I don’t view Doherty on the level of his predecessors at Folsom, he surely challenges the Bulldogs program much more than they did.

Serra... well, they just played in the CIF State Open Division championship against Mater Dei. They beat a team you may have heard about the last couple of years. De La Salle?

Are we talking Serra-San Mateo or Serra-Gardena here?

I realize Folsom has played Serra-SM the past 2 seasons, but just want to be sure.

Reactions: remc
LB Poly lost in the SS D-2 playoffs.

I thought it was Gardena Serra, my mind stayed in SoCal when I saw LBPoly

What many folks don't realize is the difficulty in scheduling. For instance, if Team A has five non-league games to schedule and three are going into year two of a home and home deal, only two games are open. As an example, a team might have weeks 2, 3 and 6 open, and one has to be a home game. Team A will need to schedule the home game first, and in the meantime, who they want to schedule (Team B) has openings weeks 1, 2 and 5, but Team B needs week 2 to be a home game because they share a stadium. By the time Team A found Team C to come to their place week 3, Team B has already signed a contract with Team E week 2 and nothing works out for Team A and Team B.

Nothing is as easy as "let's schedule a game together". One might think that it is that easy, but it is anything but.

Reactions: mistark and dcpanda
Folsom vs Cen10 wouldn’t even be a game.
Different level of smoke folsom don’t need any part of.
That 2018 Folsom team was the most talented Folsom team I've seen them have. Great game vs DLS that year. They had the talent to play Centennial, SJB, MD, Bishop Gorman. Too bad none of those matchups happened

Reactions: ThunderRam
They have never had the talent to be within 35-42 points of those teams.
Can't remember the exact year, but Pitt went down to Corona and list35-7 or 35-14, don't remember which. I believe it was within a few years of that 2018 time frame. Folsom was better than Pitt, they certainly would have been within 35-42 points if Centennial

Reactions: THEOC89
I disagree. 2014 Folsom could play with anyone in California. That was the best team I’ve ever seen in the SJS. That includes all those great Pacers teams in the 2000’s and the Elk Grove team with Lance Briggs.

Reactions: remc and THEOC89
Looking at LBP schedule they had a good regular season only losing to Bishop Gorman and even beating Mission Viejo. They were upset by Servite in the playoffs.

That 2018 Folsom team was the most talented Folsom team I've seen them have. Great game vs DLS that year. They had the talent to play Centennial, SJB, MD, Bishop Gorman. Too bad none of those matchups happened

Had Ngata been correctly ruled down at the half yard line, I believe Folsom ends up winning that game.

Can't remember the exact year, but Pitt went down to Corona and list35-7 or 35-14, don't remember which. I believe it was within a few years of that 2018 time frame. Folsom was better than Pitt, they certainly would have been within 35-42 points if Centennial
I agree about 2018 Folsom and Cen 10…. While Folsom lost 14-0 to DLS and won only 21-14 in OT to SDCC that year, those teams play Ball control offense and had physical offenses and Defenses that controlled the LOS against Folsom….

Folsom had the Skill players to put up points on Cen10 who plays a more wide open style of game, so I could see them losing like 42-28 or something like that against Cen10….

But MD and SJB are a different Animal along the lines…. If DLS could shut out Folsom, I don’t see how Folsom would be within 4 TD’s of either of those teams that year…..

I disagree. 2014 Folsom could play with anyone in California. That was the best team I’ve ever seen in the SJS. That includes all those great Pacers teams in the 2000’s and the Elk Grove team with Lance Briggs.
I agree with this…. SJB and MD were not the teams they are today in 2014 and Cen10 was king in So Cal….. DLS was the best team, but it’s definitely possible Folsom could have won the Open that year….

Unfortunately due to the Folsom rule and Folsom terrible schedule playing no top teams that year, we will never know…..

Reactions: SJS Lord

You speak nonsense as far as I’m concerned.

Folsom played evenly with DLS that year, and arguably would have had the upper hand to beat the Spartans had a pivotal play been ruled correctly.

Mater Dei ended up beating DLS by 14 in the open. I see no reason to suspect Folsom couldn’t have performed similarly, even if 7-14 points worse. But Folsom had so much skill talent that season they may have even fared a tad better.

Regardless, even if someone doesn’t believe the same, saying they never had the talent to be within 5-6 scores is something you could say about pretty much every other program in America sans 5 or 6.

Hell, I’d argue that the majority of DLS’s ”streak teams” from 1992 - 2003 and any of their very best teams from 2006 to 2019ish would have had a hard time competing with the SJB and MD teams of the past 8-9 years. So what’s really the point?

Agree on 2014 Folsom competing against anyone in CA that season.

Disagree strongly that 2014 Folsom was better than those other teams or best SJS team ever. They were not. GHS alone had at least 5 teams with superior overall talent And that Elk Grove team with Briggs, Dinwiddie, Callaway, Cottengim, etc, were every bit as good, if not better as I’d contend.

Hell, I’d argue that the majority of DLS’s ”streak teams” from 1992 - 2003 and any of their very best teams from 2006 to 2019ish would have had a hard time competing with the SJB and MD teams of the past 8-9 years
Yes, The only DLS Streak teams that could Actually have a Chance to beat the Current Era of MD and SJB teams would be 1999 and 2001…..

Those teams had several D1 and Future NFL players, Great lines, a D1 level QB who could pass and run the veer…. Great receivers, DB’s LB’s, RB’s, everything….. Those teams could keep the games close and hit big plays needed to win….

Had Ngata been correctly ruled down at the half yard line, I believe Folsom ends up winning that game.
Don't know about that. The Ngata play happened right before halftime. At best, Folsom scores a touchdown then. Second half DLS defense shut down the Folsom offense. The Ngata call had nothing to do with Folsom not scoring in the 2nd half.The SJS guys wanted that game so badly........

Don't know about that. The Ngata play happened right before halftime. At best, Folsom scores a touchdown then. Second half DLS defense shut down the Folsom offense. The Ngata call had nothing to do with Folsom not scoring in the 2nd half.The SJS guys wanted that game so badly........
Yes, if we want to play the “What If” game, had #11 on DLS not fumbled on the 2 yard line going into score DLS would have had 21 points and not 14…. So who cares…. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: remc and concrete17
The argument can be made that the 2014 Bulldogs team was the best ever SJS team.

I thought the 2014 Bulldogs team was phenomenal but would disagree about them being the best SJS team ever. I wouldn’t even call them the best offensive team that I’ve ever seen.

The argument can be made that the 2014 Bulldogs team was the best ever SJS team.

I thought the 2014 Bulldogs team was phenomenal but would disagree about them being the best SJS team ever. I wouldn’t even call them the best offensive team that I’ve ever seen.
Statistically they actually were. They scored 915 points for the season which is #1 all time for Cali and #3 nationally. They had 12 D1 kids, 3 current NFL guys, arguably the best high school qb of all time, and running clocked every team they played. Now before people point out their schedule was weak I would agree but let’s remember they also running clocked an undefeated Grant team and Oceanside in the state championship game, a team that beat Mission Viejo.

I’m not a Folsom homer but I recognize greatness and I’m taking that team, with their best lines ever, over anyone the SJS has ever put out.

Oceanside in the state championship game, a team that beat Mission Viejo.
I was at the Oceanside Vs MV Gane, that was not an impressive MV team at all…. They lost to Liberty of Bakersfield and scored a total of 14 points I believe in their 1st 2 games that year and played in SS D3 I believe which I think they actually won….

Oceanside was a good team, with a great coach at the end of his run there…. They were not very big and they Barley scraped by Torry Pines that year…. I don’t think they were a SS Pac5 Level team that year…. But none the less it was a dominant win by Folsom over San Diego’s top team….

I think the fact that Folsom got beat so bad by DLS the prior 2 years with all the same players except for Jonah Williams takes the Shine off the 2014 Folsom team….

Had that team Played and Beat DLS and Cen10 in the Open, the case for them being the best SJS team of all time would be rock solid…..

I think the fact that Folsom got beat so bad by DLS the prior 2 years with all the same players except for Jonah Williams takes the Shine off the 2014 Folsom team….
It was Jonah Williams and also Cody Creason (team captain on Arizona). Two massive linemen that gave Browning all day to throw. I believe those 2 two-way lineman of that caliber make a big difference.

Good points on Oceanside. I was just looking At their schedule.

It was Jonah Williams and also Cody Creason (team captain on Arizona). Two massive linemen that gave Browning all day to throw. I believe those 2 two-way lineman of that caliber make a big difference.

Good points on Oceanside. I was just looking At their schedule.
I thought Cody Creason was at Folsom the prior 2 years?….. Was he a Transfer?….

Statistically they actually were. They scored 915 points for the season which is #1 all time for Cali and #3 nationally. They had 12 D1 kids, 3 current NFL guys, arguably the best high school qb of all time, and running clocked every team they played. Now before people point out their schedule was weak I would agree but let’s remember they also running clocked an undefeated Grant team and Oceanside in the state championship game, a team that beat Mission Viejo.

I’m not a Folsom homer but I recognize greatness and I’m taking that team, with their best lines ever, over anyone the SJS has ever put out.
Statistically absolutely! I’ll give you that but stat padding wasn’t a thing back in the 90s!

The best offense that I’ve seen was the 96 Pacers! Chad Elliot at QB. Onterrio Smith and Derrick Grays at running back. Donte Stallworth, Mario Henderson, and Anthony Hernandez at receiver.

I’ll take the 96 Pacers any day of the week. They didn’t have Troy Taylor as OC, but talent wise there is absolutely no comparison. The only thing the 2014 Bulldogs had on them was possibly the offensive line and definitely Troy Taylor.

They had speed, a top flight quarterback, an insane backfield, and arguably the best receiving core in SJS history! I believe the line was 300 pounds across the board too!

And you’re right the 2014 Bulldogs beat a solid Grant team. But that Grant team was a team full of role players, no stars. Just a solid football team all around.

Maybe... But that was the year regionals bypassed D-Open so we don't have a real good way to cross-examine how good Folsom was that year. 2008 Grant was able to prove their high mark by landing the top division SBG D-1 bid and winning. That being said, the 2014 Folsom team was explosive and dominant in SJS and 2nd level division in SBG.

Reactions: BigMann08
Ask Troy Taylor, he transfered from BV to Dova. He could tell you how good they were.....and yes they were good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT