ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom Schedule 2024

I’ve always heard about Cordova but too young to have seen them play. Did they ever play anyone out of the area?
I remember them playing Berkeley up there, and Berkeley was a public school power in all sports in the 70's. Cordova won 20-14, and it wasn't as close as the final score. Wasn't alot of big time matchups with out of area schools in those days. Some guys who played for Berkeley told me about after it happened. They were duly impressed. I learned that Cordova had a pretty impressive weight training program, way before most other high school programs

Last edited:
Reactions: SJS Lord
Pretty sure they went to Ohio and play Moeller at a time that those national games rarely happened
Do you know what year Cordova played Moeller? I am skeptical if that game ever happened, although I am sure there was plenty of talk since that '75 Cordova team was one of the Top Calif teams of the decade.

Do you know what year Cordova played Moeller? I am skeptical if that game ever happened, although I am sure there was plenty of talk since that '75 Cordova team was one of the Top Calif teams of the decade.
Rod Connors! Best athlete I saw in high school. As a track athlete he was a couple of years behind me. He could high jump. Long jump. A 45 second quarter mile. He played football. But I knew him as a track guy. The last I heard of him. He was returning kicks for USC.

Reactions: Streak One
I don’t remember the year but I believe it was mid to late 70s when Faust was still there

Servite went to play Moeller in 1982. Steve Beuerlein was the quarterback for Servite and the game was close but Servite lost. However, he impressed the Moeller coach so when Faust was named the Notre Dame coach he recruited Beuerlein and he went there. A game like this was incredibly rare so I have my doubts about Cordova doing the same thing.

I remember them playing Berkeley up there, and Berkeley was a public school power in all sports in the 70's. Cordova won 20-14, and it wasn't as close as the final score. Wasn't alot of big time matchups with out of area schools in those days. Some guys who played for Berkeley told me about after it happened. They were duly impressed. I learned that Cordova had a pretty impressive weight training program, way before most other high school programs
They also were a feeder school from Mather Air Force base . Thus getting transfers before transfers were a thing . When the base closed the Cordova level of dominance dropped in all sports

Reactions: BigMann08
Statistically absolutely! I’ll give you that but stat padding wasn’t a thing back in the 90s!

The best offense that I’ve seen was the 96 Pacers! Chad Elliot at QB. Onterrio Smith and Derrick Grays at running back. Donte Stallworth, Mario Henderson, and Anthony Hernandez at receiver.

Why does it feel like Stallworth always gets forgotten in talks of the best from our region? Imo, he might be the most dominant athlete to come from sacramento. What he did on defense was as impressive of what he did on offense, he shut down Matt Barnes and many other top wr's by himself, he would press covg and eliminate a top wr.

Why does it feel like Stallworth always gets forgotten in talks of the best from our region? Imo, he might be the most dominant athlete to come from sacramento. What he did on defense was as impressive of what he did on offense, he shut down Matt Barnes and many other top wr's by himself, he would press covg and eliminate a top wr.
Coach I don’t believe people sat in those stands (like you and I) and witnessed what we witnessed. He was a prime time receiver, shutdown corner, and incredible return man. The dude was showtime!

Some believe he was a much better DB than receiver! He caused Barnes to completely abandon the idea of playing college football.

Phenomenal talent! And you are right, arguably the best athlete out of the region!

Someone asked me once about a Larry hardy comp, I said he was was Donte Stallworth-light. Not quite as good the real thing, but the next best thing.

Stallworth was a stud, he was sacramentos version of Deebo Samuel if he would've been in that type of offense, nothing he couldn't do imo.

Reactions: MC415
They also were a feeder school from Mather Air Force base . Thus getting transfers before transfers were a thing . When the base closed the Cordova level of dominance dropped in all sports
Much like Highlands got all the McClellan AFB kids.....and when it closed....not transfers.

Reactions: mrbig864
Yes, had a cousin who's family was stationed at Mather in the 70s, early 80s. He played with the youngest of the Wilhite brothers, Kevin. Mather kept Cordova a powerhouse. There was nothing but Mather in Rancho Cordova in those days.. We'd go up there to visit my Dad's Air Force buddies ( Travis also) nothing for kids to do but practice and work out

Last edited:
Reactions: WWHS44
Someone asked me once about a Larry hardy comp, I said he was was Donte Stallworth-light. Not quite as good the real thing, but the next best thing.

Stallworth was a stud, he was sacramentos version of Deebo Samuel if he would've been in that type of offense, nothing he couldn't do imo.
Man Larry is another one that doesn’t get his just due. I wish he would have been on that 2014 Pacer team(🥲), but he absolutely lit the field up at Inderkum! I definitely made my way over to a couple of games! You guys did an exceptional job of showcasing his talents!

He could play running back, quarterback, receiver, defensive back, and was electric on special teams.

That’s a good comparison!

I’ve always heard about Cordova but too young to have seen them play. Did they ever play anyone out of the area?
Pretty sure they went to Ohio and play Moeller at a time that those national games rarely happened

Nobody like Moeller. The only OOS games they played were:
  • Reno (Reno, NV) 1974
  • Roseburg (Roseburg, OR) 1979
  • Capital (Boise, ID) 1981

Even in-state, out-of-section games were rare, as Cordova only played the following:
  • Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) 1976 and 1977
  • Richmond (Richmond, CA) 1978
  • Pinole Valley (Pinole, CA) 1980 and 1981
  • Vista (Vista, CA) 1987
  • Dorsey (Los Angeles, CA) 1991
  • Montgomery (Santa Rosa, CA) 1992 and 1993

As @Streak One mentioned, these types of cross-sectional and more specifically out-of-state games we take for granted today were very rare pre-late 90's and early 2000's.

For example, De La Salle didn't play their first non-NorCal opponent until 1995 and 1996 when they faced Rancho Buena Vista out of the San Diego Section. It wasn't until a few years later that they scheduled Mater Dei yearly from 1998 through 2001. They also scheduled Bishop Amat in 2000 and Long Beach Poly in 2001.

The first out-of-state games scheduled for the Spartans were St. Louis (Honolulu, HI) in 2002 then Evangel Christian (Shreveport, LA) in 2003.

As already mentioned, those types of long-distance games just weren't en vogue back in the day, and likely not really as possible.

On that same theme/topic, here's a fun fact that I've tweeted out a few times before and I believe have mentioned at some point here at NCP:

In 1975 & 1976, Woodland (Woodland, CA) split a home and home w/ DeMatha (Hyattsville, MD) which is believed to be the 1st coast-to-coast high school football matchup in history.

Crazy to think that 'lil ol Woodland was involved in that, huh?

Thanks for posting. Pretty spot on.

Cordova's 102-6-1 record during the 1970's was indeed the best in the Nation during that time.

One thing from the video that was correct, but a tad misleading: Yes, the CIF-SJS Section playoffs (as we now know it) didn't exist for large schools until 1976, which was then known as Division AAA. However, the Division AA game existed in 1975 and the Division A game existed in 1971.

But prior to that the Sac area had what was known as the "Capital City Championships" for the large schools, which I believe was first implemented in 1971 matching two league champs against each other.

Cordova was featured in that game in 1971, 1972, 1974, and 1975.

FWIW, the Placer Hillmen, under the guidence of Bill Miller and Tom Johnson, were also known as an area power during part of the same timeframe as Cordova, except at the AA level.

They won section titles in 1975, 1976, 1977, 1980 and 1981. They were CA's #2 ranked AA team in 1976 and 1977 and won "mythical" State AA titles in 1977 and 1980.

The 1980 team was tested by Mission Viejo, who was ranked #4 Nationally at the time, with the Hillmen pulling off a 6-0 upset.

As @championcif75 would say, not bad for those 'lil strawchewers from Auburn.

Last edited:

Cordova's 102-6-1 record during the 1970's was indeed the best in the Nation during that time.

One thing from the video that was correct, but a tad misleading: Yes, the CIF-SJS Section playoffs (as we now know it) didn't exist for large schools until 1976, which was then known as Division AAA. However, the Division AA game existed in 1975 and the Division A game existed in 1971.

But prior to that the Sac area had what was known as the "Capital City Championships" for the large schools, which I believe was first implemented in 1971 matching two league champs against each other.

FWIW, the Placer Hillmen, undet the guidence of Bill Miller and Tom Johnson, were also known as an area power during part of the same timeframe as Cordova, except at the AA level.

They won section titles in 1975, 1976, 1977, 1980 and 1981. They were CA's #2 ranked AA team in 1976 and 1977 and won "mythical" State AA titles in 1977 and 1980.

The 1980 team was tested by Mission Viejo, who was ranked #4 Nationally at the time, with the Hillmen pulling off a 6-0 upset.

As @championcif75 would say, not bad for those 'lil strawchewers from Auburn.
Nice research Thunder, appreciate it. Did they have the scores/results from Cordova's out of area games?

Awesome history for all these teams! It is pretty cool when football or any team sport brings the community together..like in Auburn or Loomis or Colfax or places like that…

On a side note, does anywhere have the twitter post of folsom’s announcement, showing the dates of their games or at least who they are playing? Do we know if they are also playing DLS?

Nice research Thunder, appreciate it. Did they have the scores/results from Cordova's out of area games?

It’s from my own decade long research. I’m a bit of a sports historian, with HS football being among the many things I have researched and archived. It took a quick 5-second sort by section/state to find the info. ;)

Reactions: championcif75

FWIW, the Placer Hillmen, undet the guidence of Bill Miller and Tom Johnson, were also known as an area power during part of the same timeframe as Cordova, except at the AA level.

As @championcif75 would say, not bad for those 'lil strawchewers from Auburnws
TR
TR,i was going to bring up those Hillmen teams of the 70’s and early 80’s as i was on that 75 undefeated 11-0 Placer team and Cordova was i believe nationally ranked at that time!
The 75 Cordova team had the likes of Scott Jenner at QB and a speedy WR named Kenny Bowles and the Venable bros RB Max and LB Darell.Coach Miller and Coach Tom Johnson coached the North in the annual Optimist All Star game at Hughes Stadium vs the South that yr who were led by no other than legendary Cordova coach Dewey Guerra…that was the closest thing to having a game between Cordova vs Placer…..the North won convincingly!KCRA Channel 3 news sports host Pete Liebengood said “The only way Placer beats Cordova is if Cordova wears ankle weights and boxing gloves”,we lol.The 75 Placer team was a well oiled “AA” machine,the team Cordova played (Highland Scots) in the finals of the City Championship LARGE Schools (the following yr they became AAA) and were led by all world rb Joe Figures was the same team Placer beat in North Highlands in preseason….Placer vs Cordova in 75 would have been really fun to watch!

Last edited:
Champ, your digging deep. I played with Joe Figures....he was truely all world.
WWHS44….he was a tremendous runner,our Defense that night played him tough,he was difficult to coral,our lb’s had him running sideline to sideline for what seemed 30-40 yds but he never really gained much up field that night to really hurt us and that was the plan and it worked.But he was a serious threat whenever he had the ball.👍🏻👍🏻

Last edited:
Just saw on twitter Folsom is opening the season with games against Long Beach Poly and Serra!

Coach Doherty deserves a lot of credit for his tougher scheduling ever since he took over.
Would be nice to see the other SFL teams travel out of the area to play some of the EBAL, WCAL teams in non-league. What say Oak Ridge, Rocklin, Del Oro, Granite Bay?

Reactions: SJS Lord
Would be nice to see the other SFL teams travel out of the area to play some of the EBAL, WCAL teams in non-league. What say Oak Ridge, Rocklin, Del Oro, Granite Bay?
I remember Granite Bay, Del Oro, and Oak Ridge scheduling good non league opponents over the years. I think GB had Pitt this past season. Have seen Del Oro have a home and home vs DeLaSalle some years before. Don't know too much about Rocklin's non league history. I'm sure OR has had some nice nonleague scheduling over the years. Can't remember specifically who the opponents were though.

I remember Granite Bay, Del Oro, and Oak Ridge scheduling good non league opponents over the years. I think GB had Pitt this past season. Have seen Del Oro have a home and home vs DeLaSalle some years before. Don't know too much about Rocklin's non league history. I'm sure OR has had some nice nonleague scheduling over the years. Can't remember specifically who the opponents were though.
I seem to remember Del Oro traveling to Vegas to play Bishop Gorman a number of years back. Bishop Gorman was a very good team at that time, but hadn’t crossed the threshold into National title contender at that point.

Or -- how about you'd like to see other EBAL, WCAL teams (besides DLS) travel out of the area to play some of the non-Folsom SFL teams in non-league? Doesn't it work both ways??

Regardless, don't these count?

Oak Ridge:
09/09/23 Home Oak Ridge (El Dorado Hills, CA) 28 Clayton Valley Charter (Concord, CA) 0

Del Oro:
09/12/09 Neutral Del Oro (Loomis, CA) 28 California (San Ramon, CA) 21
09/20/13 Away Del Oro (Loomis, CA) 3 De La Salle (Concord, CA) 41
09/19/14 Home Del Oro (Loomis, CA) 0 De La Salle (Concord, CA) 52
09/11/15 Home Del Oro (Loomis, CA) 31 Bellarmine (San Jose, CA) 34
10/23/15 Away Del Oro (Loomis, CA) 3 De La Salle (Concord, CA) 41
09/09/16 Away Del Oro (Loomis, CA) 16 Bellarmine (San Jose, CA) 14
09/03/21 Home Del Oro (Loomis, CA) 26 Clayton Valley Charter (Concord, CA) 20
09/02/22 Away Del Oro (Loomis, CA) 31 Clayton Valley Charter (Concord, CA) 27

Granite Bay:
12/07/12 Neutral Granite Bay (Granite Bay, CA) 45 St. Ignatius (San Francisco, CA) 17
10/02/15 Home Granite Bay (Granite Bay, CA) 0 De La Salle (Concord, CA) 37
08/17/18 Home Granite Bay (Granite Bay, CA) 3 Monte Vista (Danville, CA) 9
08/23/19 Away Granite Bay (Granite Bay, CA) 22 Monte Vista (Danville, CA) 27

I remember Granite Bay, Del Oro, and Oak Ridge scheduling good non league opponents over the years. I think GB had Pitt this past season.

They've all scheduled impressive non-league opponents, including OOS and Southern Section heavyweights at one time or another. jordan24 was specifically referencing EBAL and WCAL only.

Don't know too much about Rocklin's non league history.

RHS hasn't ever faced a CCS team. From the NCS they've scheduled Santa Rosa, Las Lomas, Liberty-Brentwood, and Antioch.

Other out-of-section opponents include: Oakland Tech, Skyline, Clovis West, Buchanan-Clovis, and Servite-Anaheim (which was a State title game).

Out-of-state opponents mainly involve the Reno area teams, such as Reed, Damonte Ranch, and McQueen. However in 2022 they played Glacier Peak out of Washington.

I'm sure OR has had some nice nonleague scheduling over the years. Can't remember specifically who the opponents were though.

El Cerrito, Washington-Fremont, Reed-NV, Silverton-OR, Pleasant Valley-Chico, Central-Fresno, Spanish Springs-NV, Menlo-Atherton, Madison-San Diego, Clayton Valley Charter

I seem to remember Del Oro traveling to Vegas to play Bishop Gorman a number of years back. Bishop Gorman was a very good team at that time, but hadn’t crossed the threshold into National title contender at that point.

They were indeed still ascending, but they were a Nationally relevant team already. It was Tony Sanchez's 2nd season as HC and they'd gone 41-2 the previous 3 seasons, including 15-0 in 2009.

The year Del Oro faced them in 2010, their only losses were to 15-0 AZ State Champ Hamilton and 14-0 CA State Champ De La Salle, both in very competitive games. That was the Gaels team featuring all-world Shaq Powell.

The very next season with Powell returning as a Senior, they went 16-0 beating Servite (who swept the Trinity League that season) along the way.

Nobody like Moeller. The only OOS games they played were:
  • Reno (Reno, NV) 1974
  • Roseburg (Roseburg, OR) 1979
  • Capital (Boise, ID) 1981

Even in-state, out-of-section games were rare, as Cordova only played the following:
  • Berkeley (Berkeley, CA) 1976 and 1977
  • Richmond (Richmond, CA) 1978
  • Pinole Valley (Pinole, CA) 1980 and 1981
  • Vista (Vista, CA) 1987
  • Dorsey (Los Angeles, CA) 1991
  • Montgomery (Santa Rosa, CA) 1992 and 1993

As @Streak One mentioned, these types of cross-sectional and more specifically out-of-state games we take for granted today were very rare pre-late 90's and early 2000's.

For example, De La Salle didn't play their first non-NorCal opponent until 1995 and 1996 when they faced Rancho Buena Vista out of the San Diego Section. It wasn't until a few years later that they scheduled Mater Dei yearly from 1998 through 2001. They also scheduled Bishop Amat in 2000 and Long Beach Poly in 2001.

The first out-of-state games scheduled for the Spartans were St. Louis (Honolulu, HI) in 2002 then Evangel Christian (Shreveport, LA) in 2003.

As already mentioned, those types of long-distance games just weren't en vogue back in the day, and likely not really as possible.

On that same theme/topic, here's a fun fact that I've tweeted out a few times before and I believe have mentioned at some point here at NCP:

In 1975 & 1976, Woodland (Woodland, CA) split a home and home w/ DeMatha (Hyattsville, MD) which is believed to be the 1st coast-to-coast high school football matchup in history.

Crazy to think that 'lil ol Woodland was involved in that, huh?
Yes, games out of the immediate area were rare back then. As a matter of curiosity I checked the schedules for Turlock from 1959 to 1980, a total of 245 games. During that time the only games against out of the area teams were Bellarmine, San Joaquin Memorial, Sequoia, Palo Alto, San Ramon (twice). Reno (twice), Lynbrook, and Hanford. Some of those years the league they were in had 10 teams so there was only one non-conference game. There was never more than 3 non-conference games, and they were not in any section playoffs. I specifically looked at those years but since then out-of-section games were still very rare, with a number of games against Fresno area teams, Reno again, Monterey and Palma, and Clayton Valley and Freedom. Even Sacramento area regular season games, although still in the section, were rare: Grant, McClatchy, Cordova, and just recently Rocklin and Folsom. They've never played Central Catholic, and I would like to see that.

Reactions: ThunderRam
They were indeed still ascending, but they were a Nationally relevant team already. It was Tony Sanchez's 2nd season as HC and they'd gone 41-2 the previous 3 seasons, including 15-0 in 2009.

The year Del Oro faced them in 2010, their only losses were to 15-0 AZ State Champ Hamilton and 14-0 CA State Champ De La Salle, both in very competitive games. That was the Gaels team featuring all-world Shaq Powell.

The very next season with Powell returning as a Senior, they went 16-0 beating Servite (who swept the Trinity League that season) along the way.
Sanchez put DO on the schedule for his next season at Cal High in the 2009 "Capitol Classic." Then the offer "he couldn't refuse " from BG. The previous year ('08) Sanchez took Cal up to Seattle to face Bellevue, the team that ended the long Lad streak at deLa. Sanchez didn't blink an eye when the BVAL was tired of losing to Sparta, and he with no BS EBAL schools openly welcomed the private.

Cal lost by 7 to Taylor (Bryce Pratt had a monster game) and a single TD loss at Qwest the year before.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
Not sure why Folsom won't schedule Centennial - the same team referring to Paly in 2010 D1 bowl championship the year of the wet bowl that stated, " “It was us making mistakes. The slippery surface really affected us, but they did what they had to do to get the W.” Paly won 15-13.

Not sure why Folsom won't schedule Centennial - the same team referring to Paly in 2010 D1 bowl championship the year of the wet bowl that stated, " “It was us making mistakes. The slippery surface really affected us, but they did what they had to do to get the W.” Paly won 15-13.

The popular and easy answer is they know they’ll get beat and probably beaten very soundly.

BUT — this current Folsom staff has proven they’re willing to schedule up, hence DLS and Serra. So I’d say it’s more likely that Cen10 may not be able or willing to make a return trip up to Folsom.

Historically Cen10 hasn’t traveled far for games. Up until recently, almost all long distance foes had to travel to Corona w/o a return trip. W/O verifying, I’m pretty sure the Huskies have never even traveled to play DLS. The only trips up to NorCal I can recall were the State Championships numerous years back.

The past few years they traveled to San Diego and to Vegas to play Bishop Gorman. However a Folsom trip would be double that distance.

Folsom may not be interested if there isn’t a return trip. And if that’s the case, I don’t blame them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT