ADVERTISEMENT

Friday at Gridley

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
First game features Dublin v. Logan in the loo.... er consolation bracket.

Dublin dominates the first quarter, with the Gaels galloping (see what I did there?) to a 19-8 lead.

Looked for a bit like Dublin was gonna run off with it, but Logan showing grit, getting it to single digits at 28-19 halfway thru the 2nd.

Halftime... 39-32 Dublin.

Highlight... Jaden Saunders, Dublin guard, has nailed three bombs from, I think maybe Yuba City.

End of 3, and Logan has pulled within 5, 54-49.

I believe they got within 2 at one point.

Pilots didn’t a whole lot of time getting in gear, especially Vaughns... 15-4 with 6:30 gone

Pilots just ran off 16 straight in just over four minutes... 33-8 with 3:48 left in the half.

Don’t see these every day, no matter the mismatch...

Pilots pitch a 2nd-quarter shutout, 18 to zero zip nada...

35-8 at the half.

69-22 final, FWIW

We move into the semifinals with Sheldon taking on Branson in the classic athleticism vs fundamentals confrontation...

17-16 Branson end of 1...

Highlight of the quarter, however, was a dunk attempt by Bagley early in the game... Right down the lane, VICIOUS jam, off the back rim and almost all the way out of bounds at the OTHER end...

32-28 Sheldon at the half...

Nguyen-to-Morgan alley-oop dunk highlighted that quarter...

Branson doing just about everything right as usual, but they do have some foul trouble to contend with.

Demian and Rajkovic each have three fouls for Branson.

Sheldon has four fouls total.

Time out Branson...

36-31 Sheldon, their athleticism starting to wear Branson down, I think...

5:50 left in 3rd.

Sheldon opens the quarter with a couple quicks off the break...

Huskies look like they’re smelling blood.

69-54 final.

So, now we have the Riordan v. Salesian game...

After they crown the Tournament Queen.

Yes, I said “Tournament Queen”

For a December basketball tourney... one of the many reasons this event is like no other.

11-10 Salesian after one... Lots of furious halfcourt-style action.

Looks like Salesian’s cranking the full court pressing now, tho

15-10 now... pretty cut and pass to a layup by ummmmm... one of the McClanahans

Salesian asserts their will in the 2nd...

29-21 Salesian with 3:10 left in the half.

I would say at least mostly Salesian’s D holding em to 23...

Salesian pourson the coal... 42-27 after 3 minutes of end-to-end action, the kind I’d hoped for

Salesian hangs on, 66-57.

Sets up a great final tomorrow... games are earlier, final at 6:30

Salesian hangs on, 66-57.

Sets up a great final tomorrow... games are earlier, final at 6:30
Branson is a 5.5 point favorite vs my Crusaders. Bad matchup. I think Riordan could have played a better game, but credit Salesian. I guess. Ive seen nothing in the 3 games Ive seen Riordan that leads me to believe in the old adage, every day, in ever way, theyre getting better and better. Not a knock on the kids. Attitude reflects leadership. JC your on the clock, time to put your stamp on the program!

Reactions: RIPON
Crusader turnovers - some forced and some unforced were the difference in the game against the #1 team in the Bay Area; # 2 in Norcal. Good effort by Riordan in the closing minutes to make it close. But, again, costly turnovers and some bad shot selections spelled doom. Salesian went on a few runs that could have taken the Crusaders out of the game in the 3rd...
Another tough game tomorrow against Branson. No cupcakes in this tournament for the Crusaders. I like the challenging schedule for this young team as it prepares for league...

Branson put up a darn good fight against Sheldon....going to be very hard for most Norcal teams to beat them this year.

As a Stuart Hall Fan this makes me really excited for the Hall vs. Branson matchup later this month at COM!

Branson easily the most impressive team of the small schools like Stuart Hall, University and Lick so far. Crusaders will need their "A" game tomorrow.

Joey and Riordan will be fine ! Riordan is a good team with a tough schedule as it should be. It will pay dividends later. It's called being "battle tested" not just for the players but for the staff! You see what works and what doesn't. You schedule weak games and then when someone punches you in the mouth, you fall and can't get up. Riordan will respond appropriately. Tomorrow's game will be another heavyweight bout. Riordan's turnovers are from a new team coming together and a player who has had limited practices , scrimmages etc...preseason ! Just watch...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT