ADVERTISEMENT

Grant 82, Linden 7

I'm all for competition. But it can get real cutthroat and a lot of kids/programs could get left out of the playoffs...

What would a real competitive state playoff look like? Would you take the top 16 teams (statewide) from each division? How would you seed? Would you remove travel restrictions? There are lot more quality teams in SoCal. Would the NorCal teams be ok with a lot of schools not getting into the playoffs? Are you hoping for a state playoff that looks something like this:

D1

#1 SJB vs. #16 Oak Ridge
#8 Folsom vs. #9 Long Beach Poly
#4 Lincoln (SD) vs. #13 Clovis East
#5 Serra (San Mateo) vs. #12 Helix

#6 Clovis North vs. #11 DLS
#3 Centennial (Corona) vs. #14 SRV
#7 Granite Hills vs. #10 Carlsbad
#2 MD vs. #15 Pittsburgh

D2

#1 Sierra Canyon vs. #16 Monterey Trails
#8 Rocklin vs. #9 St. Mary's
#4 Los Alamitos vs. #13 Sanger
#5 San Clemente vs. #12 Central (Fresno)

#6 Murrieta Valley vs. #11 Liberty (Bakersfield)
#3 Mission Viejo vs. #14 Los Gatos
#7 Rancho Cucamonga vs. #10 Damien
#2 Serra (Gardena) vs. #15 Inderkum
Looks like you are using data or assumptions after a round or two of playoffs. Maybe you are showing these seedings as an example but if you are suggesting this be the full scope of playoffs - ie 32 teams out of 1000+ teams, you are only about 400 teams short.

It would be the Oakland League (as opposed to a section) responsible to deal with Oakland politics. Many leagues have their own bylaws - an Oakland league would be no different.
Not entirely true. The section office deals with transfers, playoff seedings, league placements, divisional placements, playoff's (date's, time's, location), bowl reccomendations, voting, section finanances, budgets, etc. The sectional office has significant power.

Why woud they want to cede that power/influence?

Looks like you are using data or assumptions after a round or two of playoffs. Maybe you are showing these seedings as an example but if you are suggesting this be the full scope of playoffs - ie 32 teams out of 1000+ teams, you are only about 400 teams short.
Hypothetical example. Feel free to provide the full scope!

Not entirely true. The section office deals with transfers, playoff seedings, league placements, divisional placements, playoff's (date's, time's, location), bowl reccomendations, voting, section finanances, budgets, etc. The sectional office has significant power.

Why woud they want to cede that power/influence?
You just hit upon the main reason the OS section would not want to take this move - Power. I was responding to the only hurdle you mentioned - Oakland Politics. But the REAL reason this idea would not work is because of power.

Oakland is different from the rest of NorCal. What section would want the responsiblity of dealing with Oakland politics? Are you proposing that they join the NCS?
It shouldn't matter how the Oakland section (or SF section) dissolves and the league(s) is (are) absorbed into an actual section, IMO. Keep a total number of ten sections and/or re-draw the lines for equity. Or absorb each league into existing section(s).

The point is this...if a one league section exists, then, every league should be its own section *or* have all sections be a conglomerate of several leagues. Whatever it may be, follow the same logic for all.

I'm all for competition. But it can get real cutthroat and a lot of kids/programs could get left out of the playoffs...

What would a real competitive state playoff look like? Would you take the top 16 teams (statewide) from each division? How would you seed? Would you remove travel restrictions? There are lot more quality teams in SoCal. Would the NorCal teams be ok with a lot of schools not getting into the playoffs? Are you hoping for a state playoff that looks something like this:

D1

#1 SJB vs. #16 Oak Ridge

#2 MD vs. #15 Pittsburgh

D2

I believe 32 team brackets would be better.probably 7 divisions

82-7 and passing the ball...Major unsportsmanlike, poor coaching.....tell me how it makes the Pacer a better squad?? Rubbing an inferior teams face in the dirt serves what purpose??
WWHS44

There are a lot of benefits, for everyone involved. I don't mind sharing but have you had a chance to watch the game yet?

Reactions: BigMann08
WWHS44

There are a lot of benefits, for everyone involved. I don't mind sharing but have you had a chance to watch the game yet?
Racking up 82 points on any team is unsportsmanlike....Last play of the game is a TD pass? When I say poor coaching, I speak in terms of sportsmanship not X and O's....something that is supposed to be part of the game. I just see no benefit to rolling 100 points on a team.

Racking up 82 points on any team is unsportsmanlike....Last play of the game is a TD pass? When I say poor coaching, I speak in terms of sportsmanship not X and O's....something that is supposed to be part of the game. I just see no benefit to rolling 100 points on a team.
so the guys who sweated through sacramento 2 a days who never play dont deserve a shot a scoring a touchdown?
so you want the team to just stop playing?
snowflake

so the guys who sweated through sacramento 2 a days who never play dont deserve a shot a scoring a touchdown?
snowflake
The NFL and College teams slow games down all the time....being respectful is in no way being a snowflake....that attitude shows how foolish you

Reactions: THEOC89
You just hit upon the main reason the OS section would not want to take this move - Power. I was responding to the only hurdle you mentioned - Oakland Politics. But the REAL reason this idea would not work is because of power.
Politics and power are closely intertwined.

Why would you want to take their power away? Who is it hurting? The sections have been around for a very long time, right?

Last edited:
The NFL and College teams slow games down all the time....being respectful is in no way being a snowflake....that attitude shows how foolish you
it would be foolish for me to think a team will show mercy on me for beating me. if i gave up 82, i need to get back into the lab and make sure it doesnt happen again. pops would probably make we walk home too.
what is an acceptable score? at what point do you just stop playing and trying to score and let the other team score?
you realize if you the winning team quits playing in the 4th quarter and lets the other team score every possession.... you might end up losing?

It shouldn't matter how the Oakland section (or SF section) dissolves and the league(s) is (are) absorbed into an actual section, IMO. Keep a total number of ten sections and/or re-draw the lines for equity. Or absorb each league into existing section(s).

The point is this...if a one league section exists, then, every league should be its own section *or* have all sections be a conglomerate of several leagues. Whatever it may be, follow the same logic for all.
How long have these sections been in tact? I think it’s good to have City league sections. Especially in major cities like San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles…

It sounds like there’s a ton of history and tradition there that needs to be preserved. These places put California on top of the High School/Collegiate/Pro sports map! Let them preserve their legacies for as long as they can. It’s not hurting anybody.

Why get rid of all that history? The people in those perspective cities take a lot of pride in it.

it would be foolish for me to think a team will show mercy on me for beating me. if i gave up 82, i need to get back into the lab and make sure it doesnt happen again. pops would probably make we walk home too.
what is an acceptable score? at what point do you just stop playing and trying to score and let the other team score?
you realize if you the winning team quits playing in the 4th quarter and lets the other team score every possession.... you might end up losing?
Please explain why the CIF has a running clock.....so people dont beat up on inferior teams....never-ever seen a team up by 82-0 and lose???

Reactions: THEOC89
How long have these sections been in tact? I think it’s good to have City league sections. Especially in major cities like San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles…

It sounds like there’s a ton of history and tradition there that needs to be preserved. These places put California on top of the High School/Collegiate/Pro sports map! Let them preserve their legacies for as long as they can. It’s not hurting anybody.

Why get rid of all that history? The people in those perspective cities take a lot of pride in it.
I'll agree to disagree then. I've never been one to prescribe to the "that's the way it's always been done, so let's keep doing it" mentality when logic dictates to go in a different direction.

Reactions: observer22
Please explain why the CIF has a running clock.....so people dont beat up on inferior teams....never-ever seen a team up by 82-0 and lose???
Thought I would chime in and take a stab at sportsmanship. This is my humble opinion and probably means very little. Now with that disclaimer duly noted, here we go.

Up 40 points, you should be clearing bench players into game. I'm cool with a defense not wanting to give up points, in fact I would sub my defense with no urgency.

On offense, you should have back-ups in a and a well coached team could foresee these outcomes and should not be ill- prepared. So ground/pound and milk clock, and yes, you will face a stacked box. So be it.

Of course well coached meaning some modicum of class.

Up 50 points on a scoreless opponent you need subs everywhere and base defense no exotics. Hell, kneel every down on offense and let your punt team get all the work.

Up 60, 70 and 80 shows a complete disrespect for the opponent, the game and some could argue your self as well. Can't argue team B needs to get better. Can't say my backup qb 2 and 3 need reps spinning the ball, lame. Humility is coming from the SFL where one could argue Grant belongs and perhaps reflecting on that 1-8 2021 campaign. Signed, 🎅 Naughty list.

P.s. that's the spirit of the running clock, and never heard of a team up 50 in jeopardy.

Last edited:
Reactions: WWHS44
I'll agree to disagree then. I've never been one to prescribe to the "that's the way it's always been done, so let's keep doing it" mentality when logic dictates to go in a different direction.
Fair enough. Sometimes in delicate situations you have to let things play out. There may come a day when those sections fold. Should that happen, it’s better to greet them with open arms than to rip something they’ve historically cherished prematurely.

There’s a lot of history, legacy, civil rights stuff tied into the Oakland sports section.

snowflake
No, The Coach can put those guys in the game when they are up 40-0 if he feels he needs to throw passes…. Otherwise go ahead and put all those kids in the game up 80-0 just run the ball….

No need to embarrass a bunch of kids….

Just a Dumb post…. These are HS kids playing HSFB, not kids getting paid to play in College or the pros…..

There is no need to throw the ball when up by 5+TD’s…..

Just a Dumb post…. These are HS kids playing HSFB, not kids getting paid to play in College or the pros…..

Just a bad seeding and a bad look for SJS. Nobody won in a game like this. If I’m a kid on grant this isn’t fun for me either. Those kids want the comp and have pride. I don’t know enough about the details but I’ve always had alot of respect for grant football. I root for the kids even when the coaches my have lapses.

I understand your perspective but I respectfully disagree. I believe the coaching staff was spot on in there decision.

I was curious if you watched the game yet? Or any Grant game this year. If so, you and others might have more perspective.

I've watched most of there games this year. I'm not coach Reed, but I'm sure there are a lot of areas of improvement he would like to see from his team. And the coaching staff. Anyone with a high football IQ can see that.

To add perspective to my initial post. Grants schedule this year was nothing to brag about. They played a few good teams in Oak Ridge, Los Gatos, Monterey Trail, and Laguna Creek.

Grant by far is one of the most talented teams this year. But somehow they barely beat Los Gatos by 1. A good team but no way that game should have been close. To add, LG almost won on the final drive. Monterey Trail is a good team, but Grant should have ran the ball all night and beat them in similar fashion as Inderkum. Oak Ridge has a strong chance to make it to the section finals this year and Grant was up 12-0 at the half. But lost 21-18.

The common denominator in all 3 games, Grant did not finish in the 4th quarter, even though they had a chance to do so. Close out LG and go up 8 late. The go ahead TD late in the 4th quarter against Oak Ridge came up short. And with Monterey Trail, for the league title, they could not convert the 2 point conversion for the win.

Coach Reed understand what his team needs better than any of us on the sidelines. And I am sure he understands that there are 4 good teams that stand in his way for another championship ring.

A good well coached Oakdale team is on deck and has the potential to upset them. Take a knee in the 4th quarter of a playoff game when you have a lot to still work on. Not a good decision to me, regardless of the score.

Coach Reed made the call to finish the game last week, regardless of the score. To me that's understanding the needs of your team, playing situational football, and being a good coach.

Having watched 2 games slip away and almost a third, I'm glad to see they finally finished strong last week. They needed that. And will most likely need to do it again if they want to move on.

Again, hats off to Linden for a good season.

Last edited:

D1

#1 SJB vs. #16 Oak Ridge

#2 MD vs. #15 Pittsburgh

D2

Teams are going to travel 800-1000 miles RT 3 weekends in a row?

Thought I would chime in and take a stab at sportsmanship. This is my humble opinion and probably means very little. Now with that disclaimer duly noted, here we go.

Up 40 points, you should be clearing bench players into game. I'm cool with a defense not wanting to give up points, in fact I would sub my defense with no urgency.

On offense, you should have back-ups in a and a well coached team could foresee these outcomes and should not be ill- prepared. So ground/pound and milk clock, and yes, you will face a stacked box. So be it.

Of course well coached meaning some modicum of class.

Up 50 points on a scoreless opponent you need subs everywhere and base defense no exotics. Hell, kneel every down on offense and let your punt team get all the work.

Up 60, 70 and 80 shows a complete disrespect for the opponent, the game and some could argue your self as well. Can't argue team B needs to get better. Can't say my backup qb 2 and 3 need reps spinning the ball, lame. Humility is coming from the SFL where one could argue Grant belongs and perhaps reflecting on that 1-8 2021 campaign. Signed, 🎅 Naughty list.

P.s. that's the spirit of the running clock, and never heard of a team up 50 in jeopardy.
snowflake

so those same high school kids in november will be college kids next november. why are they all the sudden able to handle getting beat by 5 touchdowns 10 months later? what magical thing happened?

at what point do you tell your team that practiced all year, sweated, bleed out, sacrificed... hey guys, just quit playing.

I understand your perspective but I respectfully disagree. I believe the coaching staff was spot on in there decision.

I was curious if you watched the game yet? Or any Grant game this year. If so, you and others might have more perspective.

I've watched most of there games this year. I'm not coach Reed, but I'm sure there are a lot of areas of improvement he would like to see from his team. And the coaching staff. Anyone with a high football IQ can see that.

To add perspective to my initial post. Grants schedule this year was nothing to brag about. They played a few good teams in Oak Ridge, Los Gatos, Monterey Trail, and Laguna Creek.

Grant by far is one of the most talented teams this year. But somehow they barely beat Los Gatos by 1. A good team but no way that game should have been close. To add, LG almost won on the final drive. Monterey Trail is a good team, but Grant should have ran the ball all night and beat them in similar fashion as Inderkum. Oak Ridge has a strong chance to make it to the section finals this year and Grant was up 12-0 at the half. But lost 21-18.

The common denominator in all 3 games, Grant did not finish in the 4th quarter, even though they had a chance to do so. Close out LG and go up 8 late. The go ahead TD late in the 4th quarter against Oak Ridge came up short. And with Monterey Trail, for the league title, they could not convert the 2 point conversion for the win.

Coach Reed understand what his team needs better than any of us on the sidelines. And I am sure he understands that there are 4 good teams that stand in his way for another championship ring.

A good well coached Oakdale team is on deck and has the potential to upset them. Take a knee in the 4th quarter of a playoff game when you have a lot to still work on. Not a good decision to me, regardless of the score.

Coach Reed made the call to finish the game last week, regardless of the score. To me that's understanding the needs of your team, playing situational football, and being a good coach.

Having watched 2 games slip away and almost a third, I'm glad to see they finally finished strong last week. They needed that. And will most likely need to do it again if they want to move on.

Just so I understand…. Grant was up 56-0 at the half and 76-0 after the 3rd quarter yet the coach felt they had to prove that they could close the game by throwing a passing TD in the final minutes of the 4th quarter up 76-7 against a bunch of overmatched kids?…..

Makes total sense….. 🤣

so those same high school kids in november will be college kids next november. why are they all the sudden able to handle getting beat by 5 touchdowns 10 months later? what magical thing happened?
None of those Kids from Linden will be on scholarship playing College FB…. These are HS kids, not paid football players….

at what point do you tell your team that practiced all year, sweated, bleed out, sacrificed... hey guys, just quit playing.
When you are up 56-0 at the half is a good time to tell your team “Everyone has worked the asses off since the summer so everyone will play and we will run the ball the rest of the game because we are not trying to humiliate those kids.”…..

Doesn’t seem that difficult, it’s HSFB not College or Professional football….

Last edited:
None of those Kids from Linden will be on scholarship playing College FB…. These are HS kids, not paid football players….
why are high school kids so fragile? they are playing a gladiator sport. these are not the feable kids sitting in the corner eating alone.
these are not 4th graders playing pop warner. soft high schoolers turn into soft adults.

So teaching sportsmanship is out the window at Grant? Coaching and style dont matter, win at all costs? I would NEVER want my child to play in that system.....WHY you ask? BC 99% of those players will never put pads on again and enter the game of life with a distorted view.....Coaching football is more than winning games...

So teaching sportsmanship is out the window at Grant? Coaching and style dont matter, win at all costs? I would NEVER want my child to play in that system.....WHY you ask? BC 99% of those players will never put pads on again and enter the game of life with a distorted view.....Coaching football is more than winning games...
self pity is the best form of self destruction. your kid wouldnt be able to handle grant, he should play where everyone gets a trophy

On the whole, throwing the ball up 3/4 possessions is bush league all day long, and twice on Sunday. With that said, I won't knock a coach just with the statement of "throwing the ball" in that situation without seeing the situation with my own two eyes. The reason being is that if the defense was sending everyone and playing cover 0 behind it, the natural answer there is to throw the ball. There might be another scenario or two where the situation dictates throwing the ball up that big, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head.

On the whole, throwing the ball up 3/4 possessions is bush league all day long, and twice on Sunday. With that said, I won't knock a coach just with the statement of "throwing the ball" in that situation without seeing the situation with my own two eyes. The reason being is that if the defense was sending everyone and playing cover 0 behind it, the natural answer there is to throw the ball. There might be another scenario or two where the situation dictates throwing the ball up that big, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head.
throwing or running... the way they are talking... the result would have been the same

A thought or two.
Anyone from Linden complaining?
They play in a League full of schools as large as Grant, and they do just fine. Week earlier, they beat a team with a school enrollment of over 2500..... and they won.
They knew they would not be able to drop lower than D3......they accepted the challenge

I do.

If more teams like GHS would run up the scores in these unbalanced divisions, then perhaps it might cause the CIF/SJS to rethink things and actually place these teams in the appropriate divisions where they really should be, rather than spreading them out in an attempt to qualify more good teams for State.

Just so I understand…. Grant was up 56-0 at the half and 76-0 after the 3rd quarter yet the coach felt they had to prove that they could close the game by throwing a passing TD in the final minutes of the 4th quarter up 76-7 against a bunch of overmatched kids?…..

Makes total sense….. 🤣

How about directing ire at the organization(s) that grouped these teams together? That seems more appropriate and worthwhile than blaming a team for competing the best they can.

Linden didn't and never will belong in the same postseason bracket as Grant Union HS. GHS didn't schedule the game. And it sure isn't right to ask them to stop playing because the other team is over-matched. Especially the backups who don't typically get to play as much.

If a team like Linden is still out there playing and trying to score, then it is hypocritical to expect the other party to stop doing the same.

The better solution is to properly align all these teams according to talent level. Isn't that what the CIF/SJS is supposed to be doing?

If this is really "all about the kids" as some purport, then either limit the amount of postseason participants so matchups/beatdowns like this don't occur near as often or as severely and/or do a better job matching up the brackets.

That's where the problem truly lies. Not with Grant Union HS or any other program that similarly anihilates their opponent. Place them in the appropriate division or bracket where they'll face proper competition that won't be down 56-0 at half or 76-0 after the Q3.

As far as I can tell, many are getting overly upset at the wrong party.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT