ADVERTISEMENT

Grant 82, Linden 7

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
This was an actual SJS playoff game. It would appear that the seeding committee didn't get the CIF memo and failed in the all-important Equity Department. Time for a Fair and Balanced Seminar. Or a wrist-slap or two. Or three.

Reactions: championcif75
I wish the CIF would dismantle the SJS. The section is too large to properly govern. The Central Valley has well over a million people and will continue to grow by leaps and bounds. As the region grows, travel will only get worse…

Let them play in their area and govern their own affairs….The CVS (Central Valley Section) has a nice ring to it!

There are two issues at play here and this game is the meeting of the worst of them.

#1) Linden simply doesn't belong in D3. They were placed into a weak D2 league where they can compete far above their enrollment size, but then are forced to stay in D3, where the schools are two and three times their size.

#2) D2 is overloaded and that has created the problems of disparity in D3. There really isn't much of an issue with Grant in D3 if D2 were spread out appropriately. If Tracy, Elk Grove, and Del Oro were allowed to drop down into D3, the division would be much more competitive and the Section would still have the opportunity to send a wide range of schools to the Regional Bowl games.

(This last point is predicated on my observation that it BENEFITS the SJS Section to have the best teams spread out over the three divisions rather than all lumped together in the top one or two. I acknowledge that many people on this board disagree with that approach)

Biggest question is how do you rational having no issue with Grant in D3 . They are 9-2 . They lost to D1 semi finalist Oak Ridge 21-18 but were dominating that game I believe 18-0 before Elk Grove transfer W Parker went down with injury. They Beat CCS Open semi finalist Los Gatos 22-21. In their other loss to MT 35-34 in my opinion dominated that game but DUMB personal foul after Personal Foul penalties killed them . Credit to MT for stopping the try for 2 to End the game . Add Sheldon RB transfer Devin Greene and Grant has best 1-2 RB duo in NorCal and it ain’t even close. Both are freight trains with speed. Look for all their games in D3 to be blowouts

Biggest question is how do you rational having no issue with Grant in D3 . They are 9-2 . They lost to D1 semi finalist Oak Ridge 21-18 but were dominating that game I believe 18-0 before Elk Grove transfer W Parker went down with injury. They Beat CCS Open semi finalist Los Gatos 22-21. In their other loss to MT 35-34 in my opinion dominated that game but DUMB personal foul after Personal Foul penalties killed them . Credit to MT for stopping the try for 2 to End the game . Add Sheldon RB transfer Devin Greene and Grant has best 1-2 RB duo in NorCal and it ain’t even close. Both are freight trains with speed. Look for all their games in D3 to be blowouts
It's not that Grant is misplaced--it's that MANY teams are misplaced.

The Section doesn't want a 12-team bracket of Folsom, St. Mary's, Rocklin, CC, OR, Indy, Manteca, GB, MT, DO, Jesuit, and Grant. They want three of those teams in the Regional Bowls, not one. Spreading those teams across three divisions benefits them. The problem is that too many teams are in D2 and not enough are in D3. If teams like Del Oro, Jesuit, Manteca, Elk Grove, and Tracy were in D3 it would be very competitive and Grant would be fine there. If that format bumped Grant into D2, so be it. That would simply be spreading things out more beneficially. That's the big-picture issue.

I agree, in no scenario should Linden and Grant be grouped together. I also agree that there should be some type of consistency in the way that schools are placed into divisions and leagues.

If the goal is to get more teams into bowl games, dismantle the section and form 3 separate ones. That way everyone gets State bowl representation and can crown their own local champion.

The region has grown enough and can now support multiple sections.

I wish the CIF would dismantle the SJS. The section is too large to properly govern. The Central Valley has well over a million people and will continue to grow by leaps and bounds. As the region grows, travel will only get worse…

Let them play in their area and govern their own affairs….The CVS (Central Valley Section) has a nice ring to it!
The Central Coast Section has 2 million residents. The Southern Section is basically its own separate state within a state, with more high schools than all of NorCal combined.

The Central Coast Section has 2 million residents. The Southern Section is basically its own separate state within a state, with more high schools than all of NorCal combined.
The SJS covers more than 4 million plus and it’s ran like a small-town/- close-knit community.

I’d like to be rid of sections so California can have a real playoff not add more.

The Section doesn't want a 12-team bracket of Folsom, St. Mary's, Rocklin, CC, OR, Indy, Manteca, GB, MT, DO, Jesuit, and Grant. They want three of those teams in the Regional Bowls, not one. Spreading those teams across three divisions benefits them.
The lack of desire for competition is embarrassing.Yeah we all get that the section wants to hand out participation trophies 🏆 but good lord

Reactions: Macallan
I’d like to be rid of sections so California can have a real playoff not add more.
California is not a diehard High School football state. I say let’s just crown true section champions. Keep things regional. Let the teams in each region duke it out among themselves!

It's not that Grant is misplaced--it's that MANY teams are misplaced.

The Section doesn't want a 12-team bracket of Folsom, St. Mary's, Rocklin, CC, OR, Indy, Manteca, GB, MT, DO, Jesuit, and Grant. They want three of those teams in the Regional Bowls, not one. Spreading those teams across three divisions benefits them.

I’ve long contended that the 2009 D2 playoff bracket in the SJS was the deepest and best the SJS has ever fielded. There were 5 teams that were good enough to win State coming out of that bracket and it produced some of the best, most memorable games of this millennium.

One of Del Oro’s best teams upset one of St. Mary’s best teams ever in the D2 quarter finals, 30-29. Then there were the two absolute classic semifinal games hosted at Folsom, the first of which saw Del Oro battle back from a 35-7 first half deficit to beat Folsom 43-42. Then on the next night another nail-biter between undefeated Rocklin and Grant Union, who entered the game top 10 Nationally. The game ended on a missed 21-yard FG and a 21-19 Thunder upset.

All 3 games boasted overflow crowds with fans lined up outside the stadium trying to get a glimpse.

Then, the next season in 2010 saw another deep playoff field with Folsom upsetting Grant Union before a sell-out crowd of over 20,000 out at Sac State.

Interest has been nowhere close since, largely for the reason you’ve pointed out. Because they spread these fields out too thin. Which results in more of these 82-7 type games. Which is good for no one.

One thing that has stayed constant for a long time is the dominance of Sacramento area schools in Div. 1. I believe the last team south of Stockton to win the section was Merced in 1990. The demographics of the section over the years are such that division 3, and 2 to a certain extent, down to whatever is the lowest section at the time are dominated by schools in the southern part of the section like Escalon, Oakdale, Central Catholic, Hilmar, etc. More often than not they end up playing each other for the titles. Perhaps this year with the reshuffling of schools based on enrollment there might be different outcomes. But the constant at the Div. 1 level, apart from a St. Mary's or Lincoln here and there, is Sacramento area dominance. I would be curious to know why that is. Are these teams better coached? Are there just better players there? Is it economic, as the top teams such as Folsom, Rocklin, Oak Ridge, Jesuit, etc. are in affluent areas (Grant being the exception)? Better competition? One factor I believe, at least in Stockton , Modesto, and Merced, is the number of new schools. When I was in high school (admittedly over 50 years ago) our league stretched from Merced (one high school) to Lodi (one high school), and three Stockton schools, Stagg, Edison and Franklin, and three Modesto schools, Modesto, Downey and Davis, and Turlock. Now in Stockton and Modesto there are many more schools, and many more schools to spread the available talent. Stagg used to be a powerhouse, kind of the USC of the region, and Edison ruled the football field. And St. Mary's at the time was not a factor. Merced has three high schools now and plays in a lower division but before that they had over 4,000 students and had tremendous teams. Downey is the only Modesto public school with a decent football program. And, success feeds on itself, and lack of success does too. Programs that are struggling have a hard time turning that around as the enthusiasm is not always there. And successful problems rebuild every year as talented athletes want to be part of the team. But I digress. Anyway, back to my question. Can someone with knowledge enlighten me.

2 million? Are you only talking about Santa Clara County? The CCS overall has way more than that. Even if you don't include San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Benito, Santa Cruz, and Monterey counties are around 3.4M.

2 million? Are you only talking about Santa Clara County? The CCS overall has way more than that. Even if you don't include San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, San Benito, Santa Cruz, and Monterey counties are around 3.4M.
Thanks. Makes the point even stronger re SJS.

One thing that has stayed constant for a long time is the dominance of Sacramento area schools in Div. 1. I believe the last team south of Stockton to win the section was Merced in 1990. The demographics of the section over the years are such that division 3, and 2 to a certain extent, down to whatever is the lowest section at the time are dominated by schools in the southern part of the section like Escalon, Oakdale, Central Catholic, Hilmar, etc. More often than not they end up playing each other for the titles. Perhaps this year with the reshuffling of schools based on enrollment there might be different outcomes. But the constant at the Div. 1 level, apart from a St. Mary's or Lincoln here and there, is Sacramento area dominance. I would be curious to know why that is. Are these teams better coached? Are there just better players there? Is it economic, as the top teams such as Folsom, Rocklin, Oak Ridge, Jesuit, etc. are in affluent areas (Grant being the exception)? Better competition? One factor I believe, at least in Stockton , Modesto, and Merced, is the number of new schools. When I was in high school (admittedly over 50 years ago) our league stretched from Merced (one high school) to Lodi (one high school), and three Stockton schools, Stagg, Edison and Franklin, and three Modesto schools, Modesto, Downey and Davis, and Turlock. Now in Stockton and Modesto there are many more schools, and many more schools to spread the available talent. Stagg used to be a powerhouse, kind of the USC of the region, and Edison ruled the football field. And St. Mary's at the time was not a factor. Merced has three high schools now and plays in a lower division but before that they had over 4,000 students and had tremendous teams. Downey is the only Modesto public school with a decent football program. And, success feeds on itself, and lack of success does too. Programs that are struggling have a hard time turning that around as the enthusiasm is not always there. And successful problems rebuild every year as talented athletes want to be part of the team. But I digress. Anyway, back to my question. Can someone with knowledge enlighten me.
Merced has 4 schools in the city and BC has students who live in the county which would have gone to Merced so 5 schools have split up the school. The population has also fell from close to 90k to less than 70k. Castle closing in the 90s hurt the most. Merced went from 4200 students to now less than 2000.

Linden doesnt belong in D3, but that is Lindens fault. They wanted into that D2 league to avoid travel costs. Next year they will be in D6. Grant is fine in D3.

Reactions: nobody209
Then again, we have the tiny AAA and the miniscule OAL as separate sections, both ancient legacy entities that were created before the invention of the wheel.
I couldn't agree with this more! It makes zero sense for either of these two to still be their own section. A "redistricting" would be the best thing, *if* sections are to still exist at all.

Coaching, affluency, organization, and community are all major factors. Also got to throw in talent.

SFL coaching is great.

The population growth hurt football in one high school cities. This was felt from Elk Grove to Merced.

There’s a huge migration happening along the I80 North East of Sacramento. This growth could affect programs like Granite Bay, Rocklin, and Del Oro as new schools are popping up left and right.

Reactions: championcif75
I couldn't agree with this more! It makes zero sense for either of these two to still be their own section. A "redistricting" would be the best thing, *if* sections are to still exist at all.
I like the fact that Oakland crowns it’s own champion. Oakland is a major sports city and does its own thing. The kids there play for their own section championships and they’ve had great success at the state level! They control their own politics. Makes no sense traveling to outside cities who have different rules and politics. Oakland is a unique place.

Reactions: THEOC89
I like the fact that Oakland crowns it’s own champion. Oakland is a major sports city and does its own thing. The kids there play for their own section championships and they’ve had great success at the state level! They control their own politics. Makes no sense traveling to outside cities who have different rules and politics. Oakland is a unique place.
oakland aint a major sports city.... any longer

Reactions: Macallan
It is for football and basketball! Still producing a lot of homegrown talent!
And there in is the rub. Mac is a football power house !!!
Yet they can barely field a hoop team. I will never fully understand the Dichotomy of this situation.

Here's wishing you great football

California is not a diehard High School football state. I say let’s just crown true section champions. Keep things regional. Let the teams in each region duke it out among themselves!
You can have an NIT tournament with teams who do not make state if you want but I’d like to get to a real competitive state playoff

Champ... Yes sir, your source was correct. The running clock started in the 4th, as I believe it should.

Grant also played until the final whistle blew, scoring a TD pass on the final play as time expired.

It was nice to see them finish strong. Hats off to Linden for a good season.

Reactions: nobody209
Champ... Yes sir, your source was correct. The running clock started in the 4th, as I believe it should.

Grant also played until the final whistle blew, scoring a TD pass on the final play as time expired.

It was nice to see them finish strong. Hats off to Linden for a good season.
82-7 and passing the ball...Major unsportsmanlike, poor coaching.....tell me how it makes the Pacer a better squad?? Rubbing an inferior teams face in the dirt serves what purpose??

I was told by a GRANT supporter,former teacher,he told me that they started the running clock in the 4th quarter…4th QUARTER!
For a Running Clock to be started before the 4Th Quarter Both Coaches have to agree to it….. My guess is the refs didn’t ask them or the coaches didn’t talk about it….

I can’t imagine if it actually was discussed that they all wouldn’t have agreed to it….

82-7 and passing the ball...Major unsportsmanlike, poor coaching.....tell me how it makes the Pacer a better squad?? Rubbing an inferior teams face in the dirt serves what purpose??
well, if they are poorly coached, have mulitple 15 yard penalities and still score 82...

I understand what you're saying. However, I fail to see anything that connects a large section, such as San Diego Section (we know your thoughts on splitting the SJS up) that supports keeping a one league Oakland section or a one league SF section. Should each league be its own section?!?!?

You can have an NIT tournament with teams who do not make state if you want but I’d like to get to a real competitive state playoff
I'm all for competition. But it can get real cutthroat and a lot of kids/programs could get left out of the playoffs...

What would a real competitive state playoff look like? Would you take the top 16 teams (statewide) from each division? How would you seed? Would you remove travel restrictions? There are lot more quality teams in SoCal. Would the NorCal teams be ok with a lot of schools not getting into the playoffs? Are you hoping for a state playoff that looks something like this:

D1

#1 SJB vs. #16 Oak Ridge
#8 Folsom vs. #9 Long Beach Poly
#4 Lincoln (SD) vs. #13 Clovis East
#5 Serra (San Mateo) vs. #12 Helix

#6 Clovis North vs. #11 DLS
#3 Centennial (Corona) vs. #14 SRV
#7 Granite Hills vs. #10 Carlsbad
#2 MD vs. #15 Pittsburgh

D2

#1 Sierra Canyon vs. #16 Monterey Trails
#8 Rocklin vs. #9 St. Mary's
#4 Los Alamitos vs. #13 Sanger
#5 San Clemente vs. #12 Central (Fresno)

#6 Murrieta Valley vs. #11 Liberty (Bakersfield)
#3 Mission Viejo vs. #14 Los Gatos
#7 Rancho Cucamonga vs. #10 Damien
#2 Serra (Gardena) vs. #15 Inderkum

I understand what you're saying. However, I fail to see anything that connects a large section, such as the San Diego Section (we know your thoughts on splitting the SJS up), that supports keeping a one-league Oakland section or a one-league SF section. Should each league be its own section?!?!?
Oakland is different from the rest of NorCal. What section would want the responsiblity of dealing with Oakland politics? Are you proposing that they join the NCS?

I'm all for competition. But it can get real cutthroat and a lot of kids/programs could get left out of the playoffs...

What would a real competitive state playoff look like? Would you take the top 16 teams (statewide) from each division? How would you seed? Would you remove travel restrictions? There are lot more quality teams in SoCal. Would the NorCal teams be ok with a lot of schools not getting into the playoffs? Are you hoping for a state playoff that looks something like this:

D1

#1 SJB vs. #16 Oak Ridge
#8 Folsom vs. #9 Long Beach Poly
#4 Lincoln (SD) vs. #13 Clovis East
#5 Serra (San Mateo) vs. #12 Helix

#6 Clovis North vs. #11 DLS
#3 Centennial (Corona) vs. #14 SRV
#7 Granite Hills vs. #10 Carlsbad
#2 MD vs. #15 Pittsburgh

D2

#1 Sierra Canyon vs. #16 Monterey Trails
#8 Rocklin vs. #9 St. Mary's
#4 Los Alamitos vs. #13 Sanger
#5 San Clemente vs. #12 Central (Fresno)

#6 Murrieta Valley vs. #11 Liberty (Bakersfield)
#3 Mission Viejo vs. #14 Los Gatos
#7 Rancho Cucamonga vs. #10 Damien
#2 Serra (Gardena) vs. #15 Inderkum
This would actually be pretty Awesome!!

No way would the sections go for this though…. Especially Nor Cal….

Oakland is different from the rest of NorCal. What section would want the responsiblity of dealing with Oakland politics? Are you proposing that they join the NCS?
It would be the Oakland League (as opposed to a section) responsible to deal with Oakland politics. Many leagues have their own bylaws - an Oakland league would be no different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT