ADVERTISEMENT

Grant Union @ De La Salle

ThunderRam

Hall of Famer
Sep 19, 2009
Since this potential match up was a super hot topic over the past 15+ years here at NCP and is now about to become a reality --- I thought it deserved its own thread.

I'm not sure whether GHS can provide the Spartans with a competitive game, considering that they graduated so many studs from last season such as Lopa, Parker, and Green, but we'll find out soon enough.

Like everyone else, I just wish these two programs had found a way to make this work circa 2006-2010. C'est la vie. But I suppose the axiom "better late than never" applies here.

I don’t understand how people can say DLS dodged Grant yet they were playing national Powers every season. It was a disappointment tho for DLS to not get them on the schedule when both teams were at their peak.

Reactions: remc
Thunder

Outside of those studs you mentioned they were extremely young last year with lots of freshman and sophomores getting lots of reps. Should be a fun game and both teams will be excited to prove the point you made. My Pacers have struggled with leverage on the line of scrimmage, a DLS strong point. The past few years playing Monterey Trail has proven that point. Reed and the coaching staff I'm sure have put a lot of focus on that. If they do stuff the point of contact, the DLS passing game hasn't been a big threat for the most part. On the flip side Grant doesn't just relay on the run. They have some weapon in the passing game and the QB has some good chemistry with a few of them. The Pacers got some big boys this year, and tall! With a game under their belt, curious to see if that helps. DLS got a chance to visit the heights last week and do some live scouting. Plus, a whole off season to prep for this game. Should be fun!

Thx for the thread. I agree, with all the talk over the years, I'm glad to see the game finally happen.

Paaaaaaaaacccceeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssss!

Thunder

Outside of those studs you mentioned they were extremely young last year with lots of freshman and sophomores getting lots of reps. Should be a fun game and both teams will be excited to prove the point you made. My Pacers have struggled with leverage on the line of scrimmage, a DLS strong point. The past few years playing Monterey Trail has proven that point. Reed and the coaching staff I'm sure have put a lot of focus on that. If they do stuff the point of contact, the DLS passing game hasn't been a big threat for the most part. On the flip side Grant doesn't just relay on the run. They have some weapon in the passing game and the QB has some good chemistry with a few of them. The Pacers got some big boys this year, and tall! With a game under their belt, curious to see if that helps. DLS got a chance to visit the heights last week and do some live scouting. Plus, a whole off season to prep for this game. Should be fun!

Thx for the thread. I agree, with all the talk over the years, I'm glad to see the game finally happen.

Paaaaaaaaacccceeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssss!
Will the Pacer OGs be at O.O. tonight? Love those guys!

I don’t understand how people can say DLS dodged Grant yet they were playing national Powers every season. It was a disappointment tho for DLS to not get them on the schedule when both teams were at their peak.
Me neither. An absolutely groundless point of view

Great first half and start to the season for the Spartans! Pacers will have a lot to learn from this game so far. A lot of blown opportunities to get some momentum going. Better QB play and ball movement needed. The machine usually plays better in the second half. Ugly could get real ugly fast.

I didn’t bring that up. But since you did, “dodged” is definitely the wrong word for anyone to use. Silly talk.

It was just a case of neither side agreeing to the other’s terms. Which certainly isn’t an unprecedented thing.

Back around 2008ish there was talk coming out of both sides. The Pacers staff claimed that DLS wanted half their gate for a game played in DPH and that they couldn’t afford that. The Spartans staff had their side of the story.

All I know is, the parties involved didn’t make it work. Which wasn’t good for anyone. The players from both sides got cheated out of opportunities against the best NorCal talent/team outside of themselves. And we fans never got to see match ups featuring one of the largest pools of future D1 FBS and NFL talent.

I’m happy to see the match up finally happen, but, make no mistake, the talent on the field for both teams today is nowhere close to where it was circa 2006-2010.

The rosters and talent back then would have been NorCal’s version of one of Alabama Crimson Tide’s all-time best teams versus one of the Miami Hurricanes all-time best teams.

Lastly, props to the Spartans for their convincing ‘W’ tonight. Pretty much what was expected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT