ADVERTISEMENT

GRIDLEY INVITATIONAL BRACKETS Dec 8th,9th,10th / HISTORY

Marcskit

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2002
THE HISTORY OF THE GIBT

In 1953 John Valentino , teacher and coach at Gridley high school, put into action his idea of a school activity that involved many people from differing social , geographical and economical segments of Northern California. He organized and directed the first Gridley Invitational Basketball tournament.

From the onset, the 3 - day GIBT has had the reputation as a tournament that extends invitations to top California basketball teams.

Valentino's plan was an annual event that brought people together --- Visiting players living with Gridley families, allowing social barriers to dissolve as people of different races, religions and lifestyles became directly associated with one another on a daily basis. Remember that this was 1953!

This pattern for cooperative behavior continues to work in the absence of Valentino who passed away early in 1984

From 1953 through 1977 , the GIBT was a post-season tournament. It was a popular alternative to the Tournament of Champions ( TOC ) which was held each year at the end of the basketball season.
In fact the GIBT was so popular that some teams that earned the privilege of participating in the TOC , chose to play in the GIBT instead.

This caused the CIF officials to make the decision to have only one post season tournament to determine the ultimate champion.
This change occurred in 1978 , the only year there was not a GIBT.
Gridley high school resumed the GIBT as a pre-season tournament in 1979, and it has continued to be one of the most prestigious varsity basketball tournaments for high school boys in Northern Calif.

Throughout the history of the GIBT , local families have opened their homes each year to house the visiting teams. The friendships that have developed through these arrangments have been many and long-lasting.
What else can i say Good folks, good vibes, great hoops

Thursdays Brackets

4:00 - San Leandro- Dublin
5:30 - Woodcreek - Christian Bros.
7:00- Salesian -- Gridley
8:30 -- Capital Christian - Archbishop Mitty

One of the best, if not the best High School tourneys in Nor-Cal hands down! The atmosphere, the GIBT Queens/King, Dunk Contests, Dance, living with families. When I went back in high school we went to school with our host on Friday.

One of the most memorable events in my life time!

Reactions: OneDNA and BadBucks
What a stacked tournament that is going to be 3 good days of hoops with
talent all over the floor.

Reactions: BadBucks
Any predictions I see woodcreek and dublin advancing to the semi's with salesian
and capital christian.

I agree with those predictions, but I think Mitty can surprise Capital. Monarchs have some good size

Great field for the Gridley. Always one of the best tournaments. This year no exception. Surprised San Leandro has already dropped a couple of games.

Dublin and woodcreek advance to the semi's tomorrow should be a great game the Jordan
brown kid is a flat out stud real high basketball IQ.

Thursday Scores:

Dublin beat San Leandro 68-52 (Timmy Falls had 19)
Woodcreek beat Christian Brothers 78-38 (Jordan Brown had 18 points)
Salesian beat Gridley 79-29 (Jovon McClanahan had 13 points)
Capital Christian beat Mitty 69-64 (Austin Alexander had 21 points)

Woodcreek defeats Dublin last night 71-66

Salesian beat Capital Christian 80-62

Woodcreek vs Salesian for the Gridley championship today at 6:30.

Dublin over capital christian by 8 for 3rd place and woodcreek lays the wood to salesian
In the finals 73 to 45 came away really impressed with dublin
and woodcreek those are two really good deep teams.

No doubt Dublin is a top tier team. With their impressive showing at the GIBT, against high quality competition, you will have to rate them as one of the top NorCal teams and the favorite to run through the EBAL. The are a fun team to watch.

No doubt Dublin is a top tier team. With their impressive showing at the GIBT, against high quality competition, you will have to rate them as one of the top NorCal teams and the favorite to run through the EBAL. The are a fun team to watch.

I wouldn't say "The Favorite to run through the EBAL". DLS and MV will have something to say about that. More like one of the top teams and in the running for the EBAL title might be more like it. I do like this team though.

Wow, Im surprised there is not more reaction to the thrashing Woodcreek administered to Salesian, who may felt was the top team in NorCal. Very impressive win for WC.

I am one of the one's who thought salesian was a clear cut number one team in norcal.
There defense just did not show up against woodcreek and they could not get going
offensively and got pounded in the 2nd qtr by a very good woodcreek team.
Its early and one game doesn't define you salesian will still be in the running
for the open title but there lack of a true post player is a concern. If they can't
turn you over with there pressure defense they have problems guarding
the rim.Turns out the game between dublin and woodcreek in the semi's was the best
game of the tournament back and forth blow for blow the guards for dublin are
really good and there big kid is a nice player . Woodcreek is really good and solid
team they are more than just jordan brown they have some nice pieces
around him.

I am one of the one's who thought salesian was a clear cut number one team in norcal.
There defense just did not show up against woodcreek and they could not get going
offensively and got pounded in the 2nd qtr by a very good woodcreek team.
Its early and one game doesn't define you salesian will still be in the running
for the open title but there lack of a true post player is a concern. If they can't
turn you over with there pressure defense they have problems guarding
the rim.Turns out the game between dublin and woodcreek in the semi's was the best
game of the tournament back and forth blow for blow the guards for dublin are
really good and there big kid is a nice player . Woodcreek is really good and solid
team they are more than just jordan brown they have some nice pieces
around him.

I am one who did not believe Salesian was a clear number one. I think there are a few teams that could give Salesian the same issues that Woodcreek did. If Salesian can control tempo and pace, turn you over and play up and down, they can beat most teams. If they can't, then they become just a tough, scrappy, undersized squad.

I am one who did not believe Salesian was a clear number one. I think there are a few teams that could give Salesian the same issues that Woodcreek did. If Salesian can control tempo and pace, turn you over and play up and down, they can beat most teams. If they can't, then they become just a tough, scrappy, undersized squad.

I also was one of those who thought Salesian was practically a lock for Norcal Open champ, but I guess Woodcreek has more than I thought.

Then again, I saw Woodcreek in the Newark Showcase as they got a 28-point win over Newark.. Brown, of course, was great but the rest of the team solid but not all that spectacular. I'm kinda surprised that Salesian couldn't turn 'em over and get going. Don't be surprised if they meet again in NorCals...

Yup, O'Dowd is definitely in the mix, too. I just keep forgetting to say it. That's Woodcreek, Salesian, O'Dowd in the NorCal Final 4... Who's up for being the 4th... Folsom, DLS, even St. Joe's or St. Pat's? Mission? Someone from CCS?

MaxPreps regional rankings will probably come out this week, helping sort stuff out. Maybe USAToday will still do some regional stuff, too... But I'm not holding my breath, and we sure can't count on local fishwraps anymore... Maybe NorCalPreps or CalHiSports or something...

Anway, bones40... if Woodcreek keeps playing like they're doing and has some 27+ wins going into NorCals, they'd likely qualify for the Open based on state and/or national rankings. But I'd think that would be the only way possible if I'm understanding the rules correctly.

Woodcreek definitely punched Salesian in the mouth Saturday. Brown is for real in the post against smaller players. I would like to see him develop a midrange game. The fear Sac area teams had versus the Bay is gone. Salesians strategy to double team Brown got them into early foul trouble. They also did not shoot the way the did on Friday. Salesian is much deeper talent wise than Woodcreek, but Brown is an equalizer. Mellis will have them ready to play in Feb/March.

The key to Woodcreek will be can their guards handle playing against high level guard play when the defense doesn't have to sell out against brown. JB is super skilled but will not hurt you with his physicality. A team with a big physical big or multiple big screen can slow him down. By that I mean he won't leave the gym with 28/25. The only team I see with that capability is O'Dowd. If Sheldon big doesn't get into foul trouble I see sheldon overwhelming them with guard play. Will be fun to watch though! His skill level is just so high!

Reactions: nostancenochance
Woodcreek definitely punched Salesian in the mouth Saturday. Brown is for real in the post against smaller players. I would like to see him develop a midrange game. The fear Sac area teams had versus the Bay is gone. Salesians strategy to double team Brown got them into early foul trouble. They also did not shoot the way the did on Friday. Salesian is much deeper talent wise than Woodcreek, but Brown is an equalizer. Mellis will have them ready to play in Feb/March.
Browns Mid-range game and post footwork are his strength's plus his bball IQ and is surrounded by good people. I still think his game resembles Tim Duncan quite a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT