ADVERTISEMENT

High School transfers

AtomicDawg1911

Superstar
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2019
I’m hearing a few kids maybe transferring. Top kids at that. Anyone have any accurate information ?

I have heard that Devin Cosgriff is now at Mitty -- and oddly, her name has been removed from the 2023-24 O'Dowd roster on MaxPreps.

Ok..just heard this recently...

Th stud frosh from Heritage (that I think was the league MVP)

Is transferring to.....

Mitty

Geezuz christ...

Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
I've heard Devin Cosgriff from O'Dowd is at Mitty. Don't know anything about Patterson but it could happen.

Good players like to play with other good players, and they like to win. And national prominence doesn't hurt the NIL money either ...

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
At what point do the girls on the bench "waiting their turn" see the writing on the wall and realize they are never gonna play as Mitty keeps getting high level transfers.

An awful lot of All League players (if on different team) are sitting buried deep on that bench.

Is it average coaching or did they just happen to get beat by a better Etiwanda team the last 2 years? I went to both games and personally I thought Etiwanda was just better.
Etiwanda was better. They refused to sit back and allow Mitty to run their system. When you disrupt Mittys system you start to who can really play off the bounce and who is really who we though they were

Reactions: larry legend33
Good point about the system.

As for the Mitty bench, all seniors will likely get scholarships. And they can show their stuff in the summer.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Good point about the system.

As for the Mitty bench, all seniors will likely get scholarships. And they can show their stuff in the summer.
So is that what the HS experience is about?
Get a scholarship at all costs? Cause it seems to me those same seniors if they start on a different team STILL get recruited but actually get to play meaningful minutes and not just in garbage blowout time.

It goes back to the age old question of sit on the bench at a D1...or play and be a star at D2.

I know where I stand...

Me personally, I would rather play for a bad team and start, then sit on the bench for a good team.

Everyone is different, but the mindset of kids nowadays is when things get tough, just go ahead and transfer.

Whatever happened to staying with a program all 4 years?
Helping build that program?

Beat the best instead of play for the best?

Reactions: GBBall4L
Me personally, I would rather play for a bad team and start, then sit on the bench for a good team.

Everyone is different, but the mindset of kids nowadays is when things get tough, just go ahead and transfer.

I agree. Some folks always try to talk down on a kid for leaving a Mitty or a Pinewood. I've seen kids leave those schools and get D1 scholarships while other kids wanted to leave, didn't leave and got nothing. The problem is that some of those programs will get kids in their AAU programs and treat them well until they are a part of the program. Then once you are in the program and they have you start to see the truth. I agree. Go to a school and build it up but ultimately go where you will be appreciated.

A college scholarship is worth upwards of $250,000. Would you sit on the bench for that?

Loyalty? How many coaches stay at a school for four years?

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Just thinking outloud here...

If Im not mistaken(and maybe I am...so feel free to correct me) all these kids going/transfering to Mitty all play for JKid select. Is there someone in the JKidd program funneling the kids to Mitty?

🤷

Last edited:
Just thinking outloud here...

If Im not mistaken(and maybe I am...so feel free to correct me) all these kids going/transfering to Mitty all play for JKid select. Is there someone in the JKidd program funneling the kids to Mitty?

🤷

JKidd select? I thought it was the Cagers? From what I see a lot of JKidd Select kids end up at SMS. But maybe I'm mistaken.

There are pipelines from certain clubs to certain high schools, often when a club coach is also an assistant to a high school team.

But for elite clubs to compete in EYBL they have to draw players from a wider region than just Northern California, so it's not as linear as it might appear.

So is that what the HS experience is about?
Get a scholarship at all costs? Cause it seems to me those same seniors if they start on a different team STILL get recruited but actually get to play meaningful minutes and not just in garbage blowout time.

It goes back to the age old question of sit on the bench at a D1...or play and be a star at D2.

I know where I stand...
yes, it is about a scholarship. college tuition is expensive.

i dont think you were that good of a player so you probably dont quite understand.
with all due respect

As far as kids on JKidd Select going to Mitty, it could have to do with playing with McKenna more than the particular club.

I think I would want to play for the best team I could while still playing a key role and hope that means I get a chance to play in college. But I know that view isn't shared by everyone

Even though Mitty and Cager leadership is the same, they obviously don't hold kids hostage. Through the years Mitty kids have played for MRC, EBX, Bay City, Cal Stars, J Kidd, etc.

I'm sure every kid that enters a top program (school or club) does so hoping to earn a spot and time. Works out for some. Others no but I doubt they entered deciding to be a bench player. And after they shoot their shot, if they decide to transfer out, no one should blame them.

There are pipelines from certain clubs to certain high schools, often when a club coach is also an assistant to a high school team.

But for elite clubs to compete in EYBL they have to draw players from a wider region than just Northern California, so it's not as linear as it might appear.
As far as I know, there's only one EYBL team in Norcal, and that's Cal Stars, right? Or is cagers EYBL now??

Even though Mitty and Cager leadership is the same, they obviously don't hold kids hostage. Through the years Mitty kids have played for MRC, EBX, Bay City, Cal Stars, J Kidd, etc.

I'm sure every kid that enters a top program (school or club) does so hoping to earn a spot and time. Works out for some. Others no but I doubt they entered deciding to be a bench player. And after they shoot their shot, if they decide to transfer out, no one should blame them.

Let's not pretend that Mitty kids playing on teams other than the Cagers has been the norm. Prior to Haley Jones with Cal Stars it was not the norm and frowned up. Mitty girls playing outside of the Cagers is a newer thing. Maybe Mitty getting with the times. Will it hurt Mitty that their core nucleus isn't playing together all summer or is Mitty allowing their girls to play non system basketball so they have a better chance in the state tournament when the System gets shut down. That's the real question

Let's not pretend that Mitty kids playing on teams other than the Cagers has been the norm. Prior to Haley Jones with Cal Stars it was not the norm and frowned up. Mitty girls playing outside of the Cagers is a newer thing. Maybe Mitty getting with the times. Will it hurt Mitty that their core nucleus isn't playing together all summer or is Mitty allowing their girls to play non system basketball so they have a better chance in the state tournament when the System gets shut down. That's the real question
Kelli Hayes too with Cal Stars seemed like a nice thing too when she did it. It is an intersting thing to track that "Mitty" gets less reps together in the summer now. The talent level may override it too

That isn't even close to accurate. A far back as 2006 Danielle Robinson played EBX. And it certainly isn't frowned upon - in some case players who are playing with other club teams still work out with. the Cagers players.

What is accurate is that 10 years ago there weren't nearly as many teams to chose from, so many players had very limited choices.

That isn't even close to accurate. A far back as 2006 Danielle Robinson played EBX. And it certainly isn't frowned upon - in some case players who are playing with other club teams still work out with. the Cagers players.

What is accurate is that 10 years ago there weren't nearly as many teams to chose from, so many players had very limited choices.
Some rare special ones did. D Rob. Kelly Hayes, Haley Jones, Morgan Cheli but now the flood gates are open. It was NOT the norm to have more than one girl on a other AAU squad. Now they have like 3-5? I know a lot of people past and recent that were in that program and this is their words not just my observation

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHillZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT