ADVERTISEMENT

How to reclassify?

mansnothot

Sports Fanatic
May 7, 2018
What's the process to reclassify?
You hear stories all the time about the 20 year old seniors, the 16 year old freshman.

What's the steps to do this and what's the difference of being 5th year senior?

you can't be a 5th year senior and play sports

when a kid is older than their peers it is usually because they were held back in grade school OR enrolled in kindergarten late. Generally a kid should be 14 turning 15 freshman year, sophomore year 15 turning 16, junior year 16 turning 17, senior year 17 turning 18.

Sometimes a kid starts early, sometimes they start late/get held back.

I am positive you can't be 20 and play HS sports in California. 19 is the age cap and there is a specific date your 19th birthday has to be after to be eligible to play.

As far as being held back in elementary/middle school, it is something a parent has to demand.

What's the process to reclassify?
You hear stories all the time about the 20 year old seniors, the 16 year old freshman.

What's the steps to do this and what's the difference of being 5th year senior?

If you are hearing stories about 20 year old seniors playing sports then people are lying to you. Don’t be so gullible.

Bart Houston was 19 his senior season at DLS, and turned 20 December of his senior season. He was eligible to play football that year, but I’m not sure he would have been able to play basketball or baseball had he been a 3 sport athlete that year.

Bart Houston was 19 his senior season at DLS, and turned 20 December of his senior season. He was eligible to play football that year, but I’m not sure he would have been able to play basketball or baseball had he been a 3 sport athlete that year.

Bart Houston was born in 1992 and turned 20 in 2012 while redshirting at Wisconsin. Stop posting fake trash.

Idk about that kid but It hear it a lot back east and down south.
Every now and again you hear it in the bay with football and basketball. More with basketball

Bart Houston was born in 1992 and turned 20 in 2012 while redshirting at Wisconsin. Stop posting fake trash.

Nonetheless, his parents held in him back in Kinder A @VC Dublin. Without that, he still would of been one of the oldest seniors in his class born in mid-December, turning 18 before most of his classmates as 12/1 was the cutoff then. That was right around the same time Dad was assembling the Bart Starr room at his office.

Fairly certain that you cannot play a high school football game at the age of 19. Rumor has it that was why JT Daniels reclassified early. Back east it’s commonplace to reclassify

Fairly certain that you cannot play a high school football game at the age of 19. Rumor has it that was why JT Daniels reclassified early. Back east it’s commonplace to reclassify

“No student whose nineteenth (19) birthday is attained prior to June 15 of the prior school year shall participate or practice on any CIF team. A student whose 19th birthday is on June 14 or before is ineligible.”

Idk about that kid but It hear it a lot back east and down south.
Every now and again you hear it in the bay with football and basketball. More with basketball

If you hear about it in the bay, someone is lying to you. Stop being so gullible.

If you hear about it in the bay, someone is lying to you. Stop being so gullible.

So every student and every parent In the bay follows all the rules? There are no families who try to get an advantage for the kids to earn a college scholarship? You stop being so gullible and thinking everybody is out and following every letter of the law.

So every student and every parent In the bay follows all the rules? There are no families who try to get an advantage for the kids to earn a college scholarship? You stop being so gullible and thinking everybody is out and following every letter of the law.

Not sure what this irrelevant nonsense has to do with the fact that there are no 20 year old seniors in the Bay Area.

if you turn 19 AFTER June 15 going into senior year then you can play

if you turn 19 before June 15 going into senior year than you you cant play

it doesnt go by sport/season

you are either eligible the entire year
or ineligible the entire year

Reactions: SpeedCity51
if you turn 19 AFTER June 15 going into senior year then you can play

if you turn 19 before June 15 going into senior year than you you cant play

it doesnt go by sport/season

you are either eligible the entire year
or ineligible the entire year

To piggyback off this, There is also a rule that a player can only be eligible for 8 consecutive semesters after enrolling in high school, regardless of age. A guy I graduated from high school with ended up being ineligible our senior year because he started school, finished his freshman year, then didn’t go to school for a year, then came back as a sophomore a year later. He was only allowed to play through junior year since that was the end of his 8 consecutive semesters, even though from an age standpoint he was ok since he didn’t actually turn 19 until a few months after graduation.

Last edited:
you can't be a 5th year senior and play sports

when a kid is older than their peers it is usually because they were held back in grade school OR enrolled in kindergarten late. Generally a kid should be 14 turning 15 freshman year, sophomore year 15 turning 16, junior year 16 turning 17, senior year 17 turning 18.

Sometimes a kid starts early, sometimes they start late/get held back.

I am positive you can't be 20 and play HS sports in California. 19 is the age cap and there is a specific date your 19th birthday has to be after to be eligible to play.

As far as being held back in elementary/middle school, it is something a parent has to demand.

Jalen Canty played part of his Senior year as a 5th year senior at St. Patrick Vallejo

This form of cheating occurs in 6th, 7th or 8th grade. By the time they reach high school they’re already a year older than their peers and sometimes 1.5 to 2 years depending upon their birthday.

There was some push back on this site last time I posted this but this is more prevalent than people think and yes, it happens all over Norcal including the Bay Area. Nobody talks about it but I know a local program where a whole group of parents did this with their kids before high school.

This form of cheating occurs in 6th, 7th or 8th grade. By the time they reach high school they’re already a year older than their peers and sometimes 1.5 to 2 years depending upon their birthday.

There was some push back on this site last time I posted this but this is more prevalent than people think and yes, it happens all over Norcal including the Bay Area. Nobody talks about it but I know a local program where a whole group of parents did this with their kids before high school.

How do prep schools work into this?
And what about that IMG academy is that a 5th year program?

Are you suggesting they forge birth certificates? You can’t be 20 years old and play high school sports in California.

Reactions: feedback1
How do prep schools work into this?
And what about that IMG academy is that a 5th year program?
The rule was posted was for CIF - which applies to all CA schools whether private/public. IMG is in FL and has to abide by FL rules.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-kids-in-class-do-better-even-through-college

I have often had this debate since moving to CA, without regard for athletics. I'll spare the ramblings and summarize as, "If a kid graduates at 16 or 17, he's not even old enough to be considered an adult. In some cases he can't even drive without restrictions. Yet we tell them they are graduates and ready to move on to the "real world"? There is plenty of time for being an "adult" and if you can hold it off for a year or 2, you're not hurting anyone."

In IN, they were transitioning to full day K when my kids were young. For the 1st one, the cut of was "must be 5yrs old before the 1st day of school (usually mid-August)" His birthday was September 9th. He turned 6 a few weeks in to K. When the 2nd was ready, they changed the cut-off to "must be 5 by June 5th" to accommodate the class size and staffing issues of the move to all-day K. The 2nds Bday was June 28th so he was 6 before he ever set foot in a classroom.

While a whole class of parents will have you believe their children are geniuses or "bored", there is a large portion that are looking for relief to get their kid in school so they can go back to work and out of day care. IMHO, if financially possible, there is zero need to push a kid in to adulthood prematurely. If you don't think maturity and social skills make a difference in a kids MS & HS years, you aren't paying very close attention.

Are you suggesting they forge birth certificates? You can’t be 20 years old and play high school sports in California.

They do what they do. You can play and graduate and be nearly 20 when your senior year ends. It's about timing whether you hold them back one or two. Most I have seen is a 1 year. Freshman driving to school, etc.

You ever work a 'weigh in' at a junior program football game? Kids weigh in for their teammates, doctored birth certificates, etc. Some parents will cheat for their kids if they think it will give them an advantage. It is real and it occurs.

Reactions: awood1
They do what they do. You can play and graduate and be nearly 20 when your senior year ends. It's about timing whether you hold them back one or two. Most I have seen is a 1 year. Freshman driving to school, etc.

You ever work a 'weigh in' at a junior program football game? Kids weigh in for their teammates, doctored birth certificates, etc. Some parents will cheat for their kids if they think it will give them an advantage. It is real and it occurs.

What do junior football programs have to do with birth certificates presented to school districts when kids enroll In kindergarten?

It’s like litigation. One side is wronged, civil suit is filed. Opposing attorneys agree, “this looks bad, is bad, but not as bad as the other stuff in society.” “We’ll give you a chunk of change, a lot, but with a NDA.” Any side talks, money goes back.....silencio.

Oh my how this relates. Here and there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT