ADVERTISEMENT

I Know This Is Slightly- Off-Topic (being SoCal and all), But...

I think its insane how MD has built basically money printing machine of a sports program. That gym comes with all the bells and whistles. They have everything going for them. Location, affluent Orange County, local sponsors, then hosting a tournament like this and charging over $20 per ticket, all going to the school. Must be nice.

CHINO HILLS GOES DOWN!

96-91 to legendary powerhouse Oak Hill at the Nike Extravaganza.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/jSHOy-...-stops-chino-hills-win-streak-at-60-games.htm

I think its insane how MD has built basically money printing machine of a sports program. That gym comes with all the bells and whistles. They have everything going for them. Location, affluent Orange County, local sponsors, then hosting a tournament like this and charging over $20 per ticket, all going to the school. Must be nice.

Mater dei has averaged 31 wins per year over the last 33 years, they've earned it.

What does MD have to do with Chino Hills losing to Oak Hill? Chino misses Lonzo. They are still unbelievable but he was the leader of that team.

They will still win state championship this year! No team in CA can beat them!

I would say they are much closer to a Prolific Prep than an actual High School. A comment at the bottom of that article stated that 2 of the players were actually from the state of Virginia.

Reactions: Crusaders70
With the addition of Bol, I'm not sure CH beats MD.

It's nice to see the public school win it all though. Not too long ago the Westchester and Fairfax teams owned the D1 title. Doesn't happen often now as those kids are now going to the private schools.

Is Oak Hill an actual high school team?
As opposed to programs like Prolific Prep?

According to Wikipedia, it's a private Baptist-affiliated school that boards about 98% of their 150 or so students, and the basketball players have to earn qualifying grades to play and get diplomas, etc. Since they travel so much during hoops season, they have tutors and (I would assume) teachers that accompany them in their travels.

Since they play so few games in Virginia, and recruit worldwide (zero idea how much financial help they give, or for what reasons), the traveling team is not eligible to play in Virginia state playoffs, but most (or maybe even all) high school associations allow member teams to play against them without any penalty or sanctions.

It seems they used to have a local team, but I can't find any evidence of that now... I do remember hearing awhile back about one of their kids who played three years with the local team, and got so good he played with the national team his senior year... Can't remember who it is, tho.

Due to the 18 years I lived up in Oregon and that national-level Les Schwab holiday tourney they have up there, I've gotten to see the Oak Hill Warriors up-close for some 18-20 games, including their single Oregon loss to eventual 2010 CA state champ Westchester of LA. Now THAT was wonderful basketball... At the time, both teams were ranked in the Top 5 nationally... And they PLAYED like it!

Last year it was pretty obvious CH would roll thru everybody. Sierra Canyon already has a win over Oak Hill and has probably played the toughest schedule in CA. (only a 2pt loss to Nathan Hale) If I was a betting man my money is on SC. There roster is more talented than CH.

Damn Larry I agree with most you say. As far as obvious last year Bishop Montgomery had Chino beat and got worked by a missed 10 second call at the end of the game. They return all the key pieces and also pose a threat to chino .
There is also Esperanza that is intriguing at 23-1 who has 6-8 Stanford Bound Kenzie Okpala who is averaging over 30 a night

Sierra Canyon is the team to beat with Bagley and Riley in the post. That being said, Chino Hills can beat anyone if / when their 3s are going in. LiAngelo has a sprained ankle which was at least partially attributable to him only shooting 8-35 from the field (4-22 from 3 pt range) against Oak Hill. Also Sierra Canyon and Mater Dei have the length to give Chino Hills difficulty so I wouldn't be too shocked to see Mater Dei give either Chino Hills or Sierra Canyon a run of their money.

Now that Mater Dei has Bol Bol, I think Chino Hills would struggle against them as well

As far as LiAngelo's ankle... His limp was quite noticeable on the highlight vid I watched. I'd say he was no more than 60-70% healthy, based on what I saw...

I wouldn't be surprised if he sat out their last two league games this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT