ADVERTISEMENT

If you build it, they will come.... (Folsom Article)

Folsom has done an excellent job building the program up to where it is now. I have no problem with them winning, being dominant and will definitely be rooting for them come bowl time.
I guess the only problem I have is them running up the score. Last week I questioned them throwing the ball up 49-0 with less than a minute until half. Yea, it was still the first half, I get it. I understand their offense is a pass first offense, I get it. It just wouldn’t have looked so bad for me if they scored on a 85 yard run instead of a pass. Coach R did it with Graves & Browning too. Maybe those lean years getting whooped by Elk Grove and Jesuit are payback? Or maybe he’s a stat guy and loves his players having great stats. Either way, looking at it from the outside, put the ball on the ground, huddle each play, run the clock down, and win with class.

Pantera,

In no way is this an attack on you, I read ur post n think you're coming from this from a good vantage point. Just my .02 cents.

I would bet his players are stat guys. Its very, very hard to get 14-18 year olds that sats dont matter. I know our kids bust their butts but stats come up, they get jealous, they work hard and hate coming out at half time. How frustrated would you be as a kid who works extremly hard from 6am lifting year round then busting ur butt at practice till 6pm 4 nights a week not counting game days, then to only get 15 touches in a total of 7 games....that is tough on kids when they only to play a half.

Its hard to keep ur players happy, its preached everyday, every single indi period about team and about selflessness n sacrafice. A coach sees how hard his group works and imo its one of the hardest things to do is to keep the players excited(happy), working hard, not having down days or regression days, keeping them focused, hungry and keeping their brains turned on a 13-16 game season.

I havent had coffee in 3 weeks till today, I think its causing me to post way too much.

Last edited:
mistark,

No offense taken and totally respect you, your program and everything the Tiger nation stands for. ( just wish your star players would go to CAL) lol

I guess between playing and coaching, I’ve seen both sides of an ass whooping. It was a great life lesson being able to see both sides. I applaud you and your fellow coaches for teaching the younger generation the value of WE not I.
I understand stats attract colleges, pump up egos around town and are hard for a kid to not realize as important. But in today’s day n age there are so many combines, camps & clinics, colleges will find you. So, if your not trying to pump stats to possibly get a kid scholarship, what other reason would the Folsom coach do it? I haven’t followed Folsom for a long time, so maybe their coach has got a bone to grind with all the other coaches? Maybe he’s the type that gives in when a player is in his ear to throw a bomb up 49-0?

Either way, I’m a believer, what goes around, comes around. I just try to coach and parent to not be the one who starts the go around.

I guess the only problem I have is them running up the score.
I think it is all context and perspective. Go look at the box scores via Maxpreps. They have hardly scored at all in the second half the entire season. Even the points they have scored in the second half, have been with back ups, generally running the ball.

Also- look at Folsom's scoring plays. Not as many "big hitter" long balls as you would think. Most of the scores are broken off huge runs or little inside screens and they're athletes take it the distance. There has always been this false narrative of Folsom throwing bombs, up 40 or 50 in the 4th quarter, second half......whatever, it doesn't matter. When people say this, I always ask them what game and when this has happened. I always get an excuse and then the name calling starts. I am just trying to clear up a false narrative. If you can prove me wrong, please post it here. Nearly all the games are online.

It would be one thing to be up 50-0 in the first half and be slinging bombs continually. But that simply isn't the case. Nearly all of their games are on YouTube. You can see for yourself. Coach Richardson is one of the most humble, respectful guys you will ever meet.

This is one of those years, one of those teams, where you tip your cap and give them a salute because these teams don't come around the region often.

Reactions: remc
mistark,

No offense taken and totally respect you, your program and everything the Tiger nation stands for. ( just wish your star players would go to CAL) lol

I guess between playing and coaching, I’ve seen both sides of an ass whooping. It was a great life lesson being able to see both sides. I applaud you and your fellow coaches for teaching the younger generation the value of WE not I.
I understand stats attract colleges, pump up egos around town and are hard for a kid to not realize as important. But in today’s day n age there are so many combines, camps & clinics, colleges will find you. So, if your not trying to pump stats to possibly get a kid scholarship, what other reason would the Folsom coach do it? I haven’t followed Folsom for a long time, so maybe their coach has got a bone to grind with all the other coaches? Maybe he’s the type that gives in when a player is in his ear to throw a bomb up 49-0?

Either way, I’m a believer, what goes around, comes around. I just try to coach and parent to not be the one who starts the go around.

With regard to youth sports and HS, I'm buying everything you're selling. To a smaller degree, I buy into it with collegiate sports too.

But I hate it when pro teams across the 4 major sports bitch about a team running up the score. Drives me crazy. They're pros, or in essence mercenaries. If they don't like someone scoring on them -- stop them. Simple as that. If they can't, take your @$$ beating like a professional and get them back next time.

I especially loathe the babies that play MLB that cry at anything the opposition does then has to bean them with a ball in protest. Furthermore, I HATE the term "unwritten rules". If they are so damned sacred and important -- WRITE THEM DOWN! lol.

But I digress.....

At the youth and HS levels, talent levels are all over the board. Not a lot of parity. And kids are susceptible, easily influenced, and prone to having their spirits broken. But pros are the top 1% at what they do, make an obscene amount of $$ doing it and are grown men or women. No sympathy or empathy from me when they get embarrassed and exposed.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpeedCity51
Good article. All drama aside, hats off to Richardson and staff(Taylor is big part of this) for what they have accomplished. From the dump to national recognition, well done!

Reactions: observer22
Social media, the media and the constant complaining of coaches and parents have made this a bigger issue. Folsom is having a great run right now and that is because they built a great program. They have been running that spread for over 17 years from the mighty mite level to the high school level. Show me a coach that would have told the Ngatas and Kb to not attend their school. High school sports are the gateway to a college scholarship so parents are going to try and put their child in the best position to succeed in life so deal with it. The other teams will eventually catch up to them but for us to say they cheat, run the score up and this other stuff is bs and being soft, is actually un american.

Reactions: awood1
Who cares?

That's my take. There are so many whiners commenting on what Folsom does, doesn't do, etc. It's HS football. If Folsom smacks you in the face...get better...or don't. They aren't running up the score. They are just beating the crap out of people.

I don't get why what Folsom does is a big deal really. They are really good. Let them be really good without anonymous posters claiming to know what is really going inside the program.

It's HS football. Go find a game. Watch it. Go home. Repeat the next Friday if you want or don't.

Coaches at Folsom or any other schools get talked about on message boards don't really adjust their mindset because of what people say on here. Some posters might think that what they say is important...it's not. Happy game watching!

Reactions: awood1
I will speak to the conversation here because it is what I'm most engaged in. I think most of the "hate" to Folsom centers more on posters than the program. I think most people that follow the sport marvel at what Folsom has built. Yes, they have had the advantage of talented players coming through the program and some of them haven't come up through the junior program, but still Folsom has reached levels that very few if anyone has accomplished from the section (have to bring in Cordova, Elk Grove, Grant).

I think it would be great to see them play a higher level SoCal team at the end of the year (if they reach that far), but also not something they can change.

Great teams from the region help the region get more recognition.

I will speak to the conversation here because it is what I'm most engaged in. I think most of the "hate" to Folsom centers more on posters than the program. I think most people that follow the sport marvel at what Folsom has built. Yes, they have had the advantage of talented players coming through the program and some of them haven't come up through the junior program, but still Folsom has reached levels that very few if anyone has accomplished from the section (have to bring in Cordova, Elk Grove, Grant).

I think it would be great to see them play a higher level SoCal team at the end of the year (if they reach that far), but also not something they can change.

Great teams from the region help the region get more recognition.

Have to agree with you on this. Most people are very supportive of what Folsom has done, however, there is a poster that has been so "loud" on this board, that it has turned many people off of the program.
I think Folsom is a marquee win away from that Elite team, which unfortunately they wont get unless they a) schedule an elite team on their own and win or b) SoCal changes their rules so that 4 of top 5 teams are knocked out. If you look at Folsom's top ranked wins in the past decade, they are against Helix (#34 Ranking) last season and Oceanside (#50) in 2014. Would love, love, love to see them schedule Cen10 - a program with similar qualities and success as Folsom, however, one that has a bit more respect I think due to playing and beating some elite teams.

Reactions: rocknrolus 12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT