ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting thought from George Brett

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Quote from given from Jayson Stark on a podcast talking about Eric Hosmer scoring from third in Game 5.

"If you think before you read, you're already out. If you can react before you think because you have thought about it already, that's how you make that play."

Quote from given from Jayson Stark on a podcast talking about Eric Hosmer scoring from third in Game 5.

"If you think before you read, you're already out. If you can react before you think because you have thought about it already, that's how you make that play."
That's great but if Duda makes a decent throw Hosmer is out by 10 feet. Mets defense was horrendous and that helped in their implosion losing four games late in every game. The Mets Manager did a poor job as well handling his staff and making decisions.

I don't want to take away from the Royals who dictated the tempo of the game and were relentless with their AB's putting pressure on Mets pitchers with their aggressive hitting approach and base running.

Reactions: atcshrk
I don't think that play is the greatest example for that quote.....but it is a cool quote and does ring true for smart players who have instincts.

I agree a good throw gets the out, but it is also important to judge actions based on thought process and not result. Many people confuse a good result for a good decision or vice versa.

That's great but if Duda makes a decent throw Hosmer is out by 10 feet. Mets defense was horrendous and that helped in their implosion losing four games late in every game. The Mets Manager did a poor job as well handling his staff and making decisions.

I don't want to take away from the Royals who dictated the tempo of the game and were relentless with their AB's putting pressure on Mets pitchers with their aggressive hitting approach and base running.

Yup, add that play to Murphy's Game 4 error and it's a defensive collapse of Bucknerian proportion.

Collins did not have a good series, and neither did the heart of the lineup. And the great Mets pitchers threw a lot of 2-strike pitches over the heart of the plate.

But even so we would have a Game 6 to watch to night if the Mets had been better at playing catch.

There is definitely a lack of instincts in the game. What Brett said is akin to a Yogiism of "you can't think and hit at the same time". If Hosmer thought too long, he would not have got as good a jump. That said, he still should have been out :).

RB - don't you think the Cranial Sphincter nerve might have factored in during Duda's throw :)

Reactions: atcshrk
What has not been mentioned (by the baseball purest) and surprises me, is THAT Hosmer tying the game was NOT the play the tied the game. The REAL play of the game was the quality out of the previous batter, getting Hosmer to third with less than two outs. That is what I will remember. I was also proud that my son picked up on that too.

The topic was instincts but I agree with you. The BlueJays manager had a great quote that talked about how the Royals had mastered winning the close game. Get em on, get em over, get em in. They grinded out AB's better than any team I've seen in a long time. Great to watch.

It wasn't the "smartest" play for Hosmer...as you would expect a MLB first baseman to make that throw. However, teams that are very aggressive seem to make their opponents make mistakes. The Mets made a ton of them. Much of that is due to the Royals aggressiveness and team speed.

Also, Collins worst moment of the postseason was not getting tossed when Tejada got his leg broke by Utley, and Utley was ruled safe after never touching second. That was the worst interpretation of a rule I have ever seen and Terry Collins bent over and took it.

Here's a question. Does Hosmer take off in the same situation if his team is down 3 games to 1? Doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CityVibesII
You can bet both squads (except for maybe the Royals Ps!) studied IF/OF players' tendencies to the most minute details. Hosmer knows he's got pretty much his slowest teammate (Perez) at the plate. Follow me, because this is semi-, but not pure instinctual. He knows Wright's (one of my favorite players of all time, right behind Bij) tendencies. Captain, CIF who takes command, reg. SS is out. Wright does the 2b style flip throw across the diamond with regularity, especially when he knows he has time. Fast runner? He's going 3/4 and gunning it. No wheels, casual drop down flip. Remember, IF was in. Wright's reacting cutting in front of Flores, "look him back- which he did- accurate flip, no need to gun with Perez running, IF is in, no way Hosmer taking off." It's subconscious thinking by Hosmer + LOTS of film on Mets tendencies + knowing Perez will bust down the line + the ingrained aggressive nature of Royals baserunning that provoked his risk,. Kudos to Perez for hustling on the broken bat one hop. He was two steps from the bag when Duda gloves it. This gave Duda the subconscious impression, "I gotta get this throw off" when in reality Hosmer's just reaching the plate circle (13') at the moment the ball sails past d'Arnaud's glove. It's akin to the guy who steals third after one look and he's off. Tendencies get drilled, then stored into such higher thinkers necessary to compete at the MLB level.

Reactions: CityVibesII
You can bet both squads (except for maybe the Royals Ps!) studied IF/OF players' tendencies to the most minute details. Hosmer knows he's got pretty much his slowest teammate (Perez) at the plate. Follow me, because this is semi-, but not pure instinctual. He knows Wright's (one of my favorite players of all time, right behind Bij) tendencies. Captain, CIF who takes command, reg. SS is out. Wright does the 2b style flip throw across the diamond with regularity, especially when he knows he has time. Fast runner? He's going 3/4 and gunning it. No wheels, casual drop down flip. Remember, IF was in. Wright's reacting cutting in front of Flores, "look him back- which he did- accurate flip, no need to gun with Perez running, IF is in, no way Hosmer taking off." It's subconscious thinking by Hosmer + LOTS of film on Mets tendencies + knowing Perez will bust down the line + the ingrained aggressive nature of Royals baserunning that provoked his risk,. Kudos to Perez for hustling on the broken bat one hop. He was two steps from the bag when Duda gloves it. This gave Duda the subconscious impression, "I gotta get this throw off" when in reality Hosmer's just reaching the plate circle (13') at the moment the ball sails past d'Arnaud's glove. It's akin to the guy who steals third after one look and he's off. Tendencies get drilled, then stored into such higher thinkers necessary to compete at the MLB level.

Exactly right - his sphincter cramped up and took over his throwing motion....and grip

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT