ADVERTISEMENT

Irish 3 South City 2

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
At Westborough Park: SHC scored a run in the 6th on a single and the next ball was driven to right and mishandled resulting in a 3-base error. Irish ended the game on a double-play in the 7th.

SSF

The Irish are surrounded by decent coaches - some off campus - some not.

The SSF Head Coach almost single-handedly destroyed the San Mateo HS baseball program before he "left".

His varsity team players of several years ago all to a person quit, and the AD needed to advance the 9th and 10th graders to the Varsity leaving them without a JV team.

Whomever the Principal and AD were at SSF - they cared not one bit as they hired this same man to run a once proud program led by then Coach Bob Brian.

There should be enough adrenaline and ill feelings to fill the planet when SSF goes to play SMHS today @ SM.

MaxPreps

Originally posted by CityVibesII:
I believe both are winless in league. Somebody had to win.
I saw the Irish freshmen beat SI 3-1. They looked good doing it too. Not just a bunch of little kids out there. SHC will have some talent coming up.

Re: SSF

BKWRDKUROUT aka SM Daily News Link provider,
Absolutely wrong about Jesse. He's been coaching over 25 plus years and guided So City to a CCS berth last year, granted it was as Lake Division champion. Growing up in South City I know the 2 high schools in South City and El Camino have not reflected any of their glory days of the 70s ans 80s since the late 90s. Nothing to do with Los (Carlos Roman) retiring from EC or even Brian retiring from So CIty, but more to the better players in So City are now being wooed by Private School financial aid (scholarships). Look at SH's roster and Riordan's. Top players who came out of the SSF Youth Baseball Association are now making their way North and the occasional top player gets grandiose visions of not only making Serra's team, but starting there too. South City no longer gets the Louie/Tony Luccas or Mike/Tony Johnstons, El Camino no longer gets the Marty Coles or Brian Lopicolos, those players now go to the private schools, with the respective last two players son's headlining SHs freshman class. This leaves the 2nd tier players to fill out the roster at those public schools. The AD at So City, Matt Shaukawitz, does care about the program and did his due dilligence in hiring Jesse. Theres not exactly a plethora of highly qualified coaches banging on his door when the job posted which includes raking eucalyptus leaves from the infield prior to games lol If you want to make that case, maybe the SM AD didnt care about HIS program as he handed that program to the Foster City Pony Baseball President. One thing to coach Pony Baseball another to do it at the Varsity level. Completely over matched and wreaking of nepotism as his son was brought along for the ride AND PLAYED. I was shocked when I saw both part of that program. Then again I don't recall SM ever being a vaunted powerhouse program like you try to elude to it being destroyed. Destroyed from what? Hype the game if you want, but don't try to bring the biased South Peninsula innuendos that wreak all over the Prep Coverage of the SM Daily to the message board. Or maybe you just wanted a reaction. In any case. WEAK. Have a good Friday. Looking forward to Terry's coverage of games today and tomorrow.

SSF

OneDNA - some of your facts are valid but many of your points are disingenuous. Ask Jesse's former Aragon players some descriptions of practice plans, practice talks, pregame talks and post-game talks on how Jesse sees the game ONLY through his old school eyes. Ask his players what he would tell his catcher to go to the mound and say to the pitcher in the game at that moment. I umpired a lot of HS games from Big Rec to Frank E. Sollecito, Jr. Ballpark in Monterey. I haven't heard many coaches say the most cockeyed comments to his players than the one and only Jesse Velez.

Then Principal Tony Limoges had more to do with hiring Jesse at SSF than did the AD you mention because there was NOBODY who applied but Jesse. THAT AD took over or tried to take over after the famous Bob Brian era and did not do that program justice. Same AD tried taking over a varsity hoops program with no experience and the same AD once had a HS baseball team that got caught wearing their uniforms while helping themselves to some school computers.

You do not have your facts quite straight on the San Mateo incident (again and either). Jesse was entering his fifth season and he had one winning season, 2010 (8-4) Ocean Division (never went up to the Bay) and never finished above overall. Jesse was 26-28 in the PAL and overall he was 43-67

Jesse's varsity players quit the team due to Jesse being Jesse and the SMHS AD had to bring up ALL JV's players in order to have a Varsity season. When that happened the SM HS JV team folded. This is THE so called District school of the SMUHSD. For the remainder of the 2013 Season the SMHS AD coached the team along with two individuals who were already ON the JV coaching staff and it had zero to do with their affiliation with the Foster City group you mentioned.

In 2014 Nick Sanzeri took over and continues to build from bottom to top but what Jesse inflicted, having SM to fold the 2013 JV team is the reason that the development is once again slow. You also know that the words "stepped down" was only a dignified moment towards Jesse for having coached in and for six different PAL the past 10 years, with stints at Burlingame, Cap, Aragon, Carlmont and the USF Dons with Dante Benedetti.

Jesse would have been dismissed had he not "stepped down". San Mateo has had their share of success when, like you said the talent was there and good coaches were prevalent. San Mateo use to get TONS of Foster City kids when Jerry Berkson was their HC. Tony Chavez was a good coach, Rob Walker was a dad who was coaching and then Jesse in 2008.

Jesse often sings the blues about the "Rialto Rule" - regarding somebody on campus wanting the job and he then is told to "move on" but in realty his former and current players know the real reason why he is often fired.

http://prep2prep.com/prepcat/?p=3345
http://www.everythingsouthcity.com/south-san-francisco-high-school-baseball-a-winning-tradition/

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articles/sports/2013-07-04/san-mateo-baseball-hires-nick-sanzeri-as-coach/1771220.html
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articles/sports/2014-03-07/sanzeri-begins-second-baseball-life-at-san-mateo/1776425119343.html

Jesse

We can agree to disagree. I'm sure theres some validity to a few of those allegations. But considering where So Citys program has fallen prior its cant get much worse. I have no connection to the program, but knowing what the program use to be, its nota failing because of Jesse. However, maybe not be succeeding because of him either lol. I just know the top players in So City no longer have either school as their top choice and that more than anything else has led to both programs having fallen from grace. That was more my point.

Oh and thank you for more links to SM Daily Journal. Your editor or the editor will be pleased to see that lol

OneDNA[/B] - I am sure you know that now a days head coaches need to adjust. Coaches should "Command" respect not "Demand" respect. You command respect by how one carries him/herself and players take note if you put them into positions to succeed. Recently SSF was down to 11 players. They recently played with 9. Grades is a"fait accompli" when it comes to possibly SSF or El Camino but Jesse knew that going in I would gather. In other words as a Baseball Coach of a PAL North School - a Springtime Sport with senioritis and others smelling summer, a HC with as much baseball knowledge as Jesse should plan a head and get some of those fringe players some lunch time help in preparation for the inevitable. I am only dealing in facts regarding him leaving Aragon, San Mateo and his current So. City gig. Everything I said is true and I know some of it is harsh for you to read or accept. Jesse came in at the very beginning of the Tuivailala years at Aragon and still could not go deep in post season. He had a DI hurler who went to Santa Clara and the brother caught and went to UCDavis and then with Baltimore and could not go deeper into CCS postseason. At San Mateo he road a few years of Labbie and Precht but he never did two big items. Never developed OTHER players and never surrounded himself with a strong staff, He only surrounded himself with assistants that were subservient.

This post was edited on 4/17 3:59 PM by BKWRDKUROUT

Sorry, I don't work for the SMDJ. All the info I shared with you was easy to find. The Journal has a great Archive section.

Lets call a spade a spade then. Mills played a game as well with 9 players vs Riordan High School. If your issue with Jesse, so be it. Agree with you some of the "older" coaches have not learned to adapt to this generation. That said, this generation does not know what old school coaching is. We can go back n forth left and right and back to start. I'm not saying Jesse is some great coach, but I will say he does know the game. Now whether he can relate that to todays athlete? Well obviously the results this year do not reflect that, nor his time for that vaunted powerhouse program at San Mateo.

I played for Jesse in the Old New Pisa/Dante Benedetti/American Legion days and I have nothing but fond memories. Seem to run into him every couple years. Despite some health issues, it is good to see some old school coaches still around. As for his run ins with recent kids, I'll leave that to you guys.

As for the South City connection to SHC/Riordan, most of the outstanding class of South City ballplayers have gravitated to SH in last year (with more to come). They have been talked about for a few years. As I see, they are 5-2 in league; they are playing to the hype.

DNA and Vibes: I will let you two fight it out for the truth. My statements were from times I was on the field observing Velez's coaching style, acumen and baseball IQ. Nobody said he could not "in game" coach. Hutton changed with the times. Chuck Rapp changed with the times. Sometimes it is a subtle thing, like surrounding himself with real baseball assistants instead of recent former players who won't buck his system.

And DNA - your sarcasm is so noted - "that recent powerhouse San Mateo"....
laugh.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT