ADVERTISEMENT

Irish Hoops Shocker! - Link to SHC Schedule

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
Sacred Heart Cathedral will play Mission on Tuesday, December 10th at 6:00 PM in a HOME game at SHC. (That's the "Shocker").

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
They happened to get mission when they will be down from years past. Too bad they didnt get them when Mission would have been a serious test.

Reactions: CityVibesII
I never understood why SHC never played home preseason games on campus. I always thought their AD office was just saving money. Glad to hear a game is scheduled, particularly a City AAA team.

Reactions: Scott2138
do these games count against their season record?
This one does. The official schedule isn't out yet. There's a "Sportsmanship" game in November, so there's probably a scrimmage scheduled around that time. There's also an Alumni game on November 27th.

This one does. The official schedule isn't out yet. There's a "Sportsmanship" game in November, so there's probably a scrimmage scheduled around that time. There's also an Alumni game on November 27th.
oh... cuz everyone keeps saying pre-season.. which do not count

There are very few venues on the high school level that actually gives a school a "home court advantage". Sure, if your school can save some money instead of paying the expenses of a home game, do it. I dont think the kids care where they play their games as long as they get to play. This Mission/SH game will be fun although it wont have the star power of previous years, nonetheless great to see a city matchup.

There are very few venues on the high school level that actually gives a school a "home court advantage". Sure, if your school can save some money instead of paying the expenses of a home game, do it. I dont think the kids care where they play their games as long as they get to play. This Mission/SH game will be fun although it wont have the star power of previous years, nonetheless great to see a city matchup.
I always wondered why SHC never plays any preseason games at their new home. They dont play there until league. It feeds into the no interest in program/build up to season. They are playing their first important league game(s) without taking advantage of atmosphere aspect (and there is one). Serra is one place that comes to mind. Bellarmine and St. Francis always tough eniviroments to play in. A lot of East Bay League venues are pretty impressive for home court advantage. SI on rare occasion opens up south bleachers and it can be a bit intimidating. Riordan is simply a nice venue to play in and watch a game. Remotely intimidating when they have band playing but that is it for cheering/intimation. SH in their "new" pavillion has probably been the least intimidating venue to play. Never a cheering section, kids blend in with parents, or sit in corner. Only get into a game if score is close at end.

I always wondered why SHC never plays any preseason games at their new home. They dont play there until league. It feeds into the no interest in program/build up to season. They are playing their first important league game(s) without taking advantage of atmosphere aspect (and there is one). Serra is one place that comes to mind. Bellarmine and St. Francis always tough environments to play in. A lot of East Bay League venues are pretty impressive for home court advantage. SI on rare occasion opens up south bleachers and it can be a bit intimidating. Riordan is simply a nice venue to play in and watch a game. Remotely intimidating when they have band playing but that is it for cheering/intimation. SH in their "new" pavilion has probably been the least intimidating venue to play. Never a cheering section, kids blend in with parents, or sit in corner. Only get into a game if score is close at end.
I think the "problem" is that people think that even big games are not much more than a social gathering.

I always wondered why SHC never plays any preseason games at their new home. They dont play there until league. It feeds into the no interest in program/build up to season. They are playing their first important league game(s) without taking advantage of atmosphere aspect (and there is one). Serra is one place that comes to mind. Bellarmine and St. Francis always tough eniviroments to play in. A lot of East Bay League venues are pretty impressive for home court advantage. SI on rare occasion opens up south bleachers and it can be a bit intimidating. Riordan is simply a nice venue to play in and watch a game. Remotely intimidating when they have band playing but that is it for cheering/intimation. SH in their "new" pavillion has probably been the least intimidating venue to play. Never a cheering section, kids blend in with parents, or sit in corner. Only get into a game if score is close at end.

One of the best ever home games I ever saw played even though SHC lost by 1? was against Archbishop Mitty when Aaron Gordon was there. SHC had Johns and Fox Pratt, etc.....The gym was bouncing and electric!! But overall, absolutely, they should have more night games and bbq's etc for more participation to highlight that gym.

One of the best ever home games I ever saw played even though SHC lost by 1? was against Archbishop Mitty when Aaron Gordon was there. SHC had Johns and Fox Pratt, etc.....The gym was bouncing and electric!! But overall, absolutely, they should have more night games and bbq's etc for more participation to highlight that gym.
I saw that game too. (Still think AG traveled...).

Any buzz on the Frosh or transfers this year IC for basketball that you heard anything about? Just want to see if the cupboard is being stocked or prepped for future spicing.
I haven't heard a thing. It would be great to have some good groups coming in.
I did see a Frosh "B" game being streamed last week against Gunn. They do have some talent and appear well-coached.

Last edited:
Any buzz on the Frosh or transfers this year IC for basketball that you heard anything about? Just want to see if the cupboard is being stocked or prepped for future spicing.

If you didn’t know, Cheng went to Hawaii, Mims who didn’t crack the rotation left. Irish added 5’9 guard McPherson from Riordan. Irish appear to be a small quick bunch.

If you didn’t know, Cheng went to Hawaii, Mims who didn’t crack the rotation left. Irish added 5’9 guard McPherson from Riordan. Irish appear to be a small quick bunch.

Yes, thank you!...I heard...I know they will be quick but was hoping they had a 6'8 6'9 project soon..Hopefully, we find a McCormick somewhere then.:)

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Yes. But that should be the norm, regardless of team record and what potential NBA player is on opposing team. SHC is an event school. Only other is first game v. SI in Bruce-Mahoney game. The SHC gym floor itself is nice, but very antiseptic. No food in gym. Food when served, downstairs.

Last edited:
Yes. But that should be the norm, regardless of team record and what potential NBA player is on opposing team. SHC is an event school. Only other is first game v. SI in Bruce-Mahoney game. The SHC gym floor itself is nice, but not very antiseptic. No food in gym. Food when served, downstairs.

I agree...They do bring in the taco trucks on the side for some of the big events.

There is no such thing as a pre-season game. It's either a scrimmage, the dumbass sportsmanship game or a non-conference game. In this case, we are talking about a non-conference game.

There is no such thing as a pre-season game. It's either a scrimmage, the dumbass sportsmanship game or a non-conference game. In this case, we are talking about a non-conference game.
OK, I'll bite. What is difference between calling it a preseason game (ie. before league starts) and a non-conference game? Is it because (in basketball, baseball) you have games that dont count in "league" in middle of season (for example MLK Tourney). Is there now a CIF definition?

Reactions: cityfan
This really isnt that difficult people. Scrimmage (doesnt count), non-league, and league. Cannot get any more clearer than that.

Means nothing to CIF. In every other usage, preseason means a game that does not count in standings, but that isn't the case, which is why it's erroneous.

Turtle and gearyblvd, together you have the definition locked in. I'll try to get out of the habit of calling nonleague games that count for records "preseason". Only games that should be called "preseason" are scrimmages and "sportsmanship" contests.

Easy mistake to make, but I'll try to cure myself of the habit. :)

Means nothing to CIF. In every other usage, preseason means a game that does not count in standings, but that isn't the case, which is why it's erroneous.
I have always referred to games played before league play as "pre-season" and non-league games played during the season (true with baseball) as "non-league" games.

Last edited:
Most people do, and most people dont care either way. You can even go futher into coachspeak and call it season 1, 2, and 3; each with distinctive goals.
Right. By the time the post-season rolls around, not many people care who won the Aunt Matilda's Brownies Tournament.

You've always been wrong, Irish Cheers. Sorry.

Kiddman, you know I love you. You're truly the very best fan I've ever known. (Butt kissing sounds)

Reactions: Crosstown Rival
It’s going to be nice to see my Son, Julian Neal, play this Tuesday as a Mission Bear, at SHC, where his older brother, EJ Neal, played 3 good years as a member of SHC. It will be nice. San Francisco Neal blood running on that Court. Too bad I can’t bring food into the gym lol It will be bittersweet, but more sweet than bitter for sure. Gotta love San Francisco Prep Sports. My Dad, John Neal, was a mid-year Class of 59 Graduate as a Poly Parrot, with the likes of the late great Gary Lewis, and other greats I can’t call right now. Prayerfully, my Dad will see his grandson play on Tuesday Night at Sacred Heart. Can’t wait

Last edited:
Reactions: Renard Monroe
It’s going to be nice to see my Son, Julian Neal, play this Tuesday as a Mission Bear, at SHC, where his older brother, EJ Neal, played 3 good years as a member of SHC. It will be nice. San Francisco Neal blood running on that Court. Too bad I can’t bring food into the gym lol It will be bittersweet, but more sweet than bitter for sure. Gotta love San Francisco Prep Sports. My Dad, John Neal, was a mid-year Class of 59 Graduate as a Poly Parrot, with the likes of the late great Gary Lewis, and other greats I can’t call right now. Prayerfully, my Dad will see his grandson play on Tuesday Night at Sacred Heart. Can’t wait
He'll have the best seat in the house.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT