ADVERTISEMENT

Irish...

Irish_Cheers

Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
Beat SI 10-0.
Irish lead 10-0 at the half. Irish scored on a safety, nailing the SI QB in the end zone.
Jerry Mixon scored a touchdown and a 2-pointer to make it 10-0.
Irish threw an INT in the end zone with :36 left in the half from the SI 6. All they had to do was give the man the ball and he's in. SI ran out the clock at when they got the ball back.
SHC QB threw a second INT in the end zone, then fumbled another in the other end zone with only 3 minutes left in the game.
Fortunately, SI couldn't move the ball at all and threw an INT of their own with 1:42 left and the IRISH went into victory formation.
Defense played great.

Last edited:
What perfect timing by SI to finally add the girls to the BM series. SH has always had this proposal on the table but SI wouldnt budge. Because since 2000 and for almost 20 years the SH girls in volleyball and basketball have run laps around the SI girls, and most assuredly given SH alot more BM trophy wins. Fast forward to 2020 and the SH girls volleyball and basketball programs are not as strong and SI's girls programs are alot better than SH's. Totally negates the gains in football SH has made over SI the last 6 years which a few of us thought would never happen.

I calculated at least 9 times SHC would get the Trophy if all the coed games were counted.
lol. you really couldnt lay to sleep until you computed the actual number? i'll just say the wins/losses one-sidedness of this rivalry sucks. football-wise SH has built something really special in this McLaughlin-Evans era where we dont go into the game feeling hopeless.

If both girls and boys hoops programs can copy the blueprint of football, we're looking at a very successful era in SH athletics amongst the main sports. thats a big IF.

This season seemed to be ripe for SHC to make serious hay in the WCAL (which is down slightly overall). So far, it hasn't. Losses to Mitty and St. Francis (not to mention Palma in a non-league affair) have marred a potentially outstanding campaign. Bellarmine, a beatable opponent, is up next. The Bells are not close to their historic standards. SHC should be favored. SHC's best win so far came in the season opener vs. Sacred Heart Prep of the PAL, a narrow W at Kezar.

This season seemed to be ripe for SHC to make serious hay in the WCAL (which is down slightly overall). So far, it hasn't. Losses to Mitty and St. Francis (not to mention Palma in a non-league affair) have marred a potentially outstanding campaign. Bellarmine, a beatable opponent, is up next. The Bells are not close to their historic standards. SHC should be favored. SHC's best win so far came in the season opener vs. Sacred Heart Prep of the PAL, a narrow W at Kezar.
I think your expectations are a bit lofty. I had them 4-3 in league, 5-2 at best. Hypothetically if they unleashed a full armed and operational Jerry Mixon Jr, a 6-1 record is a possibility but I think protecting him and his future is a wise choice for everyone.

Did not realize the reason for the SHC record is a reduction in usage (?) of Mixon. Not sure what that means. Does he not go both ways? Is he not being used effectively by the coaches? Is he injured? What gives? I agree, though. A 6-1 mark was not out of the question, 5-2 as well.

What perfect timing by SI to finally add the girls to the BM series. SH has always had this proposal on the table but SI wouldnt budge. Because since 2000 and for almost 20 years the SH girls in volleyball and basketball have run laps around the SI girls, and most assuredly given SH alot more BM trophy wins. Fast forward to 2020 and the SH girls volleyball and basketball programs are not as strong and SI's girls programs are alot better than SH's. Totally negates the gains in football SH has made over SI the last 6 years which a few of us thought would never happen.
Maybe just old school but parameters of BM should stay the same. I get the gender equity and all but some tradition needs to stay the same. All for including girls so create a NEW trophy does mess with Bruce Mahoney

I think your expectations are a bit lofty. I had them 4-3 in league, 5-2 at best. Hypothetically if they unleashed a full armed and operational Jerry Mixon Jr, a 6-1 record is a possibility but I think protecting him and his future is a wise choice for everyone.
I hope Mclaughlin doesn't get to comfy at Menlo coaching football..Hope he continues his tradition at SHC with his son Logan in the future...I still can't understand why he wanted to stop being the head coach only to be an offensive coach with HC Mike Hill at Menlo at the last minute. I do understand its less of a commitment and the commute is better but maybe it was time to try something new.....but I hope he was not feeling pressure or had some differences with the new AD's and mgmt.

It wasn't all that hard to look back at old scores. I took Gerry Phillips' Business Math class, so it's paying dividends.
I took his Drivers Ed class and typing class. He was a dedicated and vocational teacher and coach. I still remember him teaching us to not have the radio on when studying etc because concentration is key and to have no distractions. Things that I find kids definitely don't do with smart phones now a days :)

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I hope Mclaughlin doesn't get to comfy at Menlo coaching football..Hope he continues his tradition at SHC with his son Logan in the future...I still can't understand why he wanted to stop being the head coach only to be an offensive coach with HC Mike Hill at Menlo at the last minute. I do understand its less of a commitment and the commute is better but maybe it was time to try something new.....but I hope he was not feeling pressure or had some differences with the new AD's and mgmt.
You're reaching for something that isnt there Scott. There was no pressure or differences. He still is a teacher there. Thats his primary job. Being the head coach was a bonus. Sometimes the extra sacrifices you make are just too taxing. He needed a break. He wanted to be with family more. Respect that. Read the article Ethan Kassel did on sfstandard and you will have all the answers you are looking for instead of these ridiculous assumptions.

Did not realize the reason for the SHC record is a reduction in usage (?) of Mixon. Not sure what that means. Does he not go both ways? Is he not being used effectively by the coaches? Is he injured? What gives? I agree, though. A 6-1 mark was not out of the question, 5-2 as well.
I dont believe you see that one dominating high school player that carries the ball 30 times for 250 yards and makes 15 tackles with 5 sacks anymore. I think kids now with serious D1 futures don't necessarily have to be used that way.

Would you agree that Mixon if fully unleashed would be way more productive as the lead running back instead of putting him at WR? The fact is SH doesnt have to put him at RB because they have alot of options to go to. They have RL Miller on the outside. They have 2 slot receivers in Keishk and Calonico. They have Sanders at RB, and sometimes Daly at TE makes a catch here and there.

You're reaching for something that isnt there Scott. There was no pressure or differences. He still is a teacher there. Thats his primary job. Being the head coach was a bonus. Sometimes the extra sacrifices you make are just too taxing. He needed a break. He wanted to be with family more. Respect that. Read the article Ethan Kassel did on sfstandard and you will have all the answers you are looking for instead of these ridiculous assumptions.
I did read that article..I said I hope because I like the guy...I am not assuming anything but hope it isn't the case, and if it isn't that's great because I'm positive I'm not the only one that was wondering just for your info. He lives in my neighborhood now. It would be just as nice for Barry to take over Frosh football too if he wanted a break at SHC. Maybe, he just wanted to know what it is like coaching at another school too? Maybe he wanted a break from SHC? In my view, he could have quit after this season too if he still is coaching football? I'm not making ridiculous assumptions just asking questions. Questions that no one will probably know until a few years later.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT