ADVERTISEMENT

Serra vs. Salinas

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
After 14 minutes, the score was 41-0. Serra scored on offense, defense and special teams. There is little left to be said. Oh, and a running clock with six minutes left in the second period. Folks headed for the exits before halftime.

Last edited:
After 14 minutes, the score was 41-0. Serra scored on offense, defense and special teams. There is little left to be said. Oh, and a running clock with six minutes left in the second period. Folks headed for the exits before halftime.
THe use of a very early running clock, combined with Serra's early subbing out of its regulars, worked out well. Final score: 47-7.. Good work all around to avoid a nightmare final tally. Kudos.

Wow, is this the best team Serra has ever fielded? Can they actually give SJB or MD a competitive game? I hope we get to see.

Wow, is this the best team Serra has ever fielded? Can they actually give SJB or MD a competitive game? I hope we get to see.
Geezer followers of the Serra program strongly believe this is their best defense ever. It is stunningly fast and superbly organized. The offense is very good, but probably not the best ever, although the QB is the best there since Brady and the tight end is outstanding. The OL is good but only two guys have D1 offers thus far. The special teams are outstanding. So, on balance, this 2023 Serra outfit may well be their finest. Tough to argue against that summation. Versus the SoCal Open behemoth, Serra's deficits will be exposed again. The lack of a bell cow RB is one problem. The lack of premier size on defense is another. The WRs aren't special plus they lack size. None of those flaws matter much in NorCal. SoCal is a different beast. If the Padres win Friday night in San Jose, they will get a third crack at a SoCal Open monster. They will be a four- or five-score underdog. Again.

Last edited:
I watched the game last night and impression is- Salinas actually started pretty well at least their defense, but Serra defense was very sound and just nasty. Cowboys couldn't do anything on offense. I counted two Cowboy INTs that Serra scored and a punt return for a score that pretty much buried Salinas. The game snowballed although Serra should have won this game by at least 4 TDs, but this Salinas team is better than many of the WCAL teams. They just weren't prepared for the defense they were going against. I think Cowboy defense just got tired and both offense and defense were demoralized being down so fast given the turnovers and terrible field position. Got to hand it to Serra...as I mentioned before may have their best ever defense and their offense is very good as well. Salinas may get another shot next season with very talented junior and senior classes next season and return of a couple playmakers that were injured earlier this season. Serra is too much for anyone in the CCS this season if they put it all together.

Maybe best Serra team, but St John Bosco and possibly Mater Dei may do to Serra what they did to Salinas if they face each other. Probably two or three other SOCAL teams that can beat Serra soundly this season and Clovis North would probably be a good game as well.

I watched the game last night and impression is- Salinas actually started pretty well at least their defense, but Serra defense was very sound and just nasty. Cowboys couldn't do anything on offense. I counted two Cowboy INTs that Serra scored and a punt return for a score that pretty much buried Salinas. The game snowballed although Serra should have won this game by at least 4 TDs, but this Salinas team is better than many of the WCAL teams. They just weren't prepared for the defense they were going against. I think Cowboy defense just got tired and both offense and defense were demoralized being down so fast given the turnovers and terrible field position. Got to hand it to Serra...as I mentioned before may have their best ever defense and their offense is very good as well. Salinas may get another shot next season with very talented junior and senior classes next season and return of a couple playmakers that were injured earlier this season. Serra is too much for anyone in the CCS this season if they put it all together.
One note: Salinas played Serra last year and their defense is pretty much exactly the same personnel.now So there were no surprises at all. To be honest, Salinas was stronger last year and the final score was even worse then. Last weekend's meeting had a running clock midway in the second period.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT