ADVERTISEMENT

Is Modesto Christian bringing back girls basketball?

SMS got serious about poaching their talent, and Modesto Christian just faded away. Good to have them back ...

I wonder how the heck MC managed to not get some sort of CIF or section sanctions (or title 9, for that matter) for not fielding a team for a few years... How'd they slip under the radar? Not ragging on MC, just curious...

Looks like they stopped during Covid and never restarted, at least according to Maxpreps...

I remember asking someone and they had like six girls show up for tryouts.

That reminds of wayyyy back, when my school Berean Christian was still Regular Baptist HS... When I was going there ('74 grad), the school, which had no gym and rented one for the boys' games, the girls played their home games after school on the blacktop. Interest eventually waned, and they didn't have a girls' team for a few years.

When the league decided (probably due to Title 9), to have the schools field girls' teams around 1980-ish, the school had tryouts... and FOUR girls showed up. Obviously, no team was created... until the league stepped in after a few Eagles forfeits of league games and said, "If you want to have softball in the spring, you better do something to get a team out there!" (or words to that effect). That could NOT happen... Our girls' softball team was solid for a small-school team, there was a lot of participation, etc.

Well... They pulled a girl from the cheerleading squad and managed to scrounge up a couple others... I was at the first game... NOT pretty! Our girls were totally winded after a few trips up and down the court, and we probably had at least 50 turnovers. Nobody could shoot, nobody knew how to get in a defensive stance... Nastiest thing I ever sat through. And it's not like we were playing Mitty, it was some other dinky school in our league.

But we made them LOOK like Mitty!

Ouch.

Y'all may go ahead and look the other way, and go back to the MC subject. :)

When I first started at Bentley, Berean was a power in the league. They had a pair of 6-0 sisters who could play and a point guard who played CF at Cal later on. They would just crush us. I think we lost 96-14 one time.

The wheel turns ...

When I first started at Bentley, Berean was a power in the league. They had a pair of 6-0 sisters who could play and a point guard who played CF at Cal later on. They would just crush us. I think we lost 96-14 one time.

The wheel turns ...
What year was that Clay?

The wheel turns ...
Are you referring to the Sadeghi twins?

The Sadeghi twins were later ... and since you brought them up, I will complete my story.

It was a slog at Bentley in the early going, but eventually we got some talent and I got a lot smarter. Berean had dominated us for forever, but we finally got it together for a home game against the Sadeghi twins -- and running-clocked them, 69-29.

Back then you would call in the scores to the papers and I knew coaches in the league would see it. That remains the sweetest win of my coaching career, and the phone call to the paper I enjoyed the most.

The wheel turns ...

Reactions: observer22
The Sadeghi twins were later ... and since you brought them up, I will complete my story.

It was a slog at Bentley in the early going, but eventually we got some talent and I got a lot smarter. Berean had dominated us for forever, but we finally got it together for a home game against the Sadeghi twins -- and running-clocked them, 69-29.

Back then you would call in the scores to the papers and I knew coaches in the league would see it. That remains the sweetest win of my coaching career, and the phone call to the paper I enjoyed the most.

The wheel turns ...
You had some talent back then with Vann & Brewster.

Julia Vann's dad Dave officiates high school games and summer ball. He was the all-time leading scorer at St. Mary's College for a long time, and I think is still second on the list.

Julia's a graphic designer now, and does a lot of work on specialty beer containers.

Reactions: observer22
Julia Vann's dad Dave officiates high school games and summer ball. He was the all-time leading scorer at St. Mary's College for a long time, and I think is still second on the list.

Julia's a graphic designer now, and does a lot of work on specialty beer containers.
Great guy. He was a beast in the local men’s leagues BITD. One of the better refs around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT