ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to Folsom

My thoughts,

Folsom is overrated. They could still very well be the best team in Norcal and imo looked better than Serra 80% of the game but Serra out coached them. Folsom had the game in the bag but allow an onside kick they didn’t even look prepared for. Not having Josiah Sharma on the D line was a difference maker. Folsoms d line didn’t put a ton of pressure on Serra QB. A player like that changes this game.

Serra is underrated. Their lines were impressive and defense was stout. DLS v Serra will be a great game. Winner likely going to the open where they will be killed again.

I can see these two teams meeting again if DLS wins next week. I don’t see Folsom losing again this season now that they’re likely done for the open. They underestimated their opponent last night and pay the cost. Serra came in with a chip on their shoulder and played a methodical, clocking burning game, which Folsom always struggles with.

Congrats to Serra and their fans.

I don’t see Folsom losing again this season now that they’re likely done for the open.
Don’t sleep on Rocklin. They thumped Bishop Monogue last night, who took out St. Mary’s. The Thunder may be the only team who can really challenge Folsom, though.

Lots of season left to see.

Don’t sleep on Rocklin. They thumped Bishop Monogue last night, who took out St. Mary’s. The Thunder may be the only team who can really challenge Folsom, though.

Lots of season left to see.
Once Folsom remaining transfers are eligible they are going to be better for sure. You’re right in that rocklin should give them a good game but the talent disparity is large.

Last edited:
My thoughts,

Folsom is overrated. They could still very well be the best team in Norcal and imo looked better than Serra 80% of the game but Serra out coached them. Folsom had the game in the bag but allow an onside kick they didn’t even look prepared for. Not having Josiah Sharma on the D line was a difference maker. Folsoms d line didn’t put a ton of pressure on Serra QB. A player like that changes this game.

Serra is underrated. Their lines were impressive and defense was stout. DLS v Serra will be a great game. Winner likely going to the open where they will be killed again.

I can see these two teams meeting again if DLS wins next week. I don’t see Folsom losing again this season now that they’re likely done for the open. They underestimated their opponent last night and pay the cost. Serra came in with a chip on their shoulder and played a methodical, clocking burning game, which Folsom always struggles with.

Congrats to Serra and their fans.
Great Analysis…. You nailed it with Serra being Underrated and out coaching Folsom, but I don’t think Folsom is overrated, they are still the most talented team in Nor Cal….

It is obvious that we all overrated Folsoms win over a Bad LBP team that was boat raced again last night by SD Lincoln…. Folsom’s schedule was just not very good in the end with LBP, Serra and Turlock….

Compare that to Serra schedule of Folsom, DLS and SJB…. With an inexperienced team to boot…. Not afraid to be the underdog in all those games and take a projected “Guaranteed “ L against SJB….

That is the only way Folsom is going to up their game, they need to put a real powerhouse on their schedule so they understand how to prepare for and Coach in these games….

You have PITT traveling to play SJB, SJB traveling to Nor Cal to play Serra, MD only has a 9 game schedule and I am sure would have jumped at the chance to come to Nor Cal and play Folsom….

If Folsom is serious about playing in the open, they need to schedule like it…. You need to have the projected 2 best teams in Nor Cal and a National level powerhouse in your 3 non league games….

Great Analysis…. You nailed it with Serra being Underrated and out coaching Folsom, but I don’t think Folsom is overrated, they are still the most talented team in Nor Cal….

It is obvious that we all overrated Folsoms win over a Bad LBP team that was boat raced again last night by SD Lincoln…. Folsom’s schedule was just not very good in the end with LBP, Serra and Turlock….

Compare that to Serra schedule of Folsom, DLS and SJB…. With an inexperienced team to boot…. Not afraid to be the underdog in all those games and take a projected “Guaranteed “ L against SJB….

That is the only way Folsom is going to up their game, they need to put a real powerhouse on their schedule so they understand how to prepare for and Coach in these games….

You have PITT traveling to play SJB, SJB traveling to Nor Cal to play Serra, MD only has a 9 game schedule and I am sure would have jumped at the chance to come to Nor Cal and play Folsom….

If Folsom is serious about playing in the open, they need to schedule like it…. You need to have the projected 2 best teams in Nor Cal and a National level powerhouse in your 3 non league games….
Folsom shouldn’t be taken seriously until they take themselves seriously. Want to be a big time program schedule like you are. Sure they have talent and it really shines especially the way they schedule.

Can someone decipher this post?
HA!…. I think what @Truthhertz is saying that Folsom doesn’t seem to believe in themselves as a Top Tier CA team because they don’t schedule like one….

They schedule like they are afraid to lose, it’s ok if they lose to Serra and DLS because they know they will roll though their section and be somewhere in the D1AA or D1 A range to play for a lower level State Championship and not the open…

And the reason their Star players look good and put up great stats is because it is done against teams that Folsom is clearly superior too….

There is some merit to this as Folsom is now like 2-10 against DLS and Serra and some of Folsoms most talented teams and best players were Dominated in these games and they have been out coached in almost every one of those games….

Folsom needs to Schedule Top 3 level TL teams, Mission Viejo, Cen10, BG, etc, Travel down to So Cal, do what it takes to play the best….

Case in point, Serra has been dominated in the Open the last 3 years only putting up 7 points and has an inexperienced team coming back and a brand new QB….

So what does Serra do?… The schedule, Folsom, DLS and SJB their first 3 games…. That’s a team that’s is trying to figure out how to Compete to win the open, who’s not afraid to lose and doesn’t care about stats….

HA!…. I think what @Truthhertz is saying that Folsom doesn’t seem to believe in themselves as a Top Tier CA team because they don’t schedule like one….

They schedule like they are afraid to lose, it’s ok if they lose to Serra and DLS because they know they will roll though their section and be somewhere in the D1AA or D1 A range to play for a lower level State Championship and not the open…

And the reason their Star players look good and put up great stats is because it is done against teams that Folsom is clearly superior too….

There is some merit to this as Folsom is now like 2-10 against DLS and Serra and some of Folsoms most talented teams and best players were Dominated in these games and they have been out coached in almost every one of those games….

Folsom needs to Schedule Top 3 level TL teams, Mission Viejo, Cen10, BG, etc, Travel down to So Cal, do what it takes to play the best….

Case in point, Serra has been dominated in the Open the last 3 years only putting up 7 points and has an inexperienced team coming back and a brand new QB….

So what does Serra do?… The schedule, Folsom, DLS and SJB their first 3 games…. That’s a team that’s is trying to figure out how to Compete to win the open, who’s not afraid to lose and doesn’t care about stats….
Exactly, nothing to decipher in my previous post I think it was fairly obvious what was being said.

Andrew Heneghan. A great story. From out of the shadows. No. 4 on the Serra QB depth chart in 2023. Anonymous. Ran the offense very efficiently vs. Folsom. Scored a TD himself. Didn't make any huge mistakes. Followed the scouting report. Did what was required. Unflappable. Cool and calm. Savvy. Good athlete. Lacrosse guy. Coaches did a great job preparing him. Next up: DLS on the road.

Oh, and we should point out that Serra OL. Mercy. Big. Athletic. Aggressive. Padres ran for well over 300 yards and ate up the clock as several posters predicted. Very nice work. Heneghan didn't have to attempt 25-plus passes.

Oh, and we should point out that Serra OL. Mercy. Big. Athletic. Aggressive. Padres ran for well over 300 yards and ate up the clock as several posters predicted. Very nice work. Heneghan didn't have to attempt 25-plus passes.
Totally!!… Finally got a chance to watch the game and Serra o-Line was just as impressive as Folsoms….

Don’t know why everyone has been talking about such a talent drop off for Serra, they looks like the same Powerhouse they have been the last 2 years….

The 2 plays that stick out to me are the 4 and 15 from the 3 and the onside kick…. Those 2 plays killed Folsom….

The 4th and 15 from the 3 I think was supposed to be a punt but the QB who is also their punter, got disrupted by the pressure and tried to make a play that’s the best I can tell…. There is no way I would believe any Coach in their right mind would go for it….

The onside kick was on the Coach, everyone knew it was coming except Folsom it seemed who looked completely un prepared for that…. Shocking….

Great game between 2 great teams, Folsom made some big mistakes and only lost on a game winning FG, but you can’t make big mistakes against the teams Walsh is putting out there because they don’t shoot them selves in the foot….

DLS will have to play a perfect game against Serra this week to win….

Last edited:

We’ve been having discussions about Folsom’s scheduling for years now.It’s always the same issue……

Reactions: THEOC89

Folsom to me is like the top teams in Texas. Texas screams year in and out that they are the best hands down. They do it in both football and basketball. They cry broke and don’t have the travel funds when in turn they build multi million dollar stadiums for their teams.

And now Texas is pumping themselves up cause Desoto blew out a Georgia state 4A runner up.

At the end of the day to be the best you got to beat the best and the only way to prepare for it is schedule top teams.

Riordan travels to St Bonaventure.
Pitt travels to Bosco
Serra hosts Bosco
And with 5 homes games in a row, Folsom travels to Oak Ridge.

Hell even Mack hosts Riordan then travels to St Francis.

Long season but is this another Folsom D1AA state champ with Folsom parade and banner year? Basically, the other state champ that nobody really cares about. At some point if Folsom isn't competing for an OPEN then its failure in my mind. They are pulling kids from everywhere now. They don't pay kids tuition but Serra beating them with a lacrosse kid who has barely played football is kind of an embarrassment.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Long season but is this another Folsom D1AA state champ with Folsom parade and banner year? Basically, the other state champ that nobody really cares about. At some point if Folsom isn't competing for an OPEN then its failure in my mind. They are pulling kids from everywhere now. They don't pay kids tuition but Serra beating them with a lacrosse kid who has barely played football is kind of an embarrassment.
Have to give props to Oak Ridge's non-league. Hosted Frontier; @ San Clemente; @ McCallie-Tennesee

Totally!!… Finally got a chance to watch the game and Serra o-Line was just as impressive as Folsoms….

Don’t know why everyone has been talking about such a talent drop off for Serra, they looks like the same Powerhouse they have been the last 2 years….

The 2 plays that stick out to me are the 4 and 15 from the 3 and the onside kick…. Those 2 plays killed Folsom….

The 4th and 15 from the 3 I think was supposed to be a punt but the QB who is also their punter, got disrupted by the pressure and tried to make a play that’s the best I can tell…. There is no way I would believe any Coach in their right mind would go for it….

The onside kick was on the Coach, everyone knew it was coming except Folsom it seemed who looked completely un prepared for that…. Shocking….

Great game between 2 great teams, Folsom made some big mistakes and only lost on a game winning FG, but you can’t make big mistakes against the teams Walsh is putting out there because they don’t shoot them selves in the foot….

I don’t think DLS has to be perfect, but they can’t afford to turn the ball over.Gonna be a close, physical game. I wouldn’t consider it an upset if DLS wins

It was 4th and 28 from the 3, he gained 15 yards 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: THEOC89
Put this one on Folsom coaches. You can play with the video game mentality for only so long. 4th and 28 and you don't punt? I don't care what happened, it's on the coach to call a timeout there.

Offsides on the PAT and they try to take it on the kickoff, then decline it instead of going for 2 from the 1.5 yard line with a 5 star dual threat QB, but hey we'll go for it on 4th and 28.

Folsom gets the ball at midfield with about 6 or 7 minutes left in the game, championship teams grind out the clock here. What does Folsom do? Throw the ball, don't milk the play clock, incomplete pass and then 10 yard punt.

Don't cover the huddle in an onside kick situation, wow.

Folsom's "Best Team Ever" just got beat by a team replacing 18 starters, 3 of those new starters out with injury, after a 4.5 hour bus ride.

Put this one on Folsom coaches. You can play with the video game mentality for only so long. 4th and 28 and you don't punt? I don't care what happened, it's on the coach to call a timeout there.

Offsides on the PAT and they try to take it on the kickoff, then decline it instead of going for 2 from the 1.5 yard line with a 5 star dual threat QB, but hey we'll go for it on 4th and 28.

Folsom gets the ball at midfield with about 6 or 7 minutes left in the game, championship teams grind out the clock here. What does Folsom do? Throw the ball, don't milk the play clock, incomplete pass and then 10 yard punt.

Folsom's "Best Team Ever" just got beat by a team replacing 18 starters, 3 of those new starters out with injury, after a 4.5 hour bus ride.
Agree. I've always felt Folsom is very arrogant dating back to the Richardson/Taylor days. Lets not kick on 4th and 10 from our own 20. They use to pull that stunt back in the day even against DLS. And this was before some super smart indian kid was crunching the analytics.

Two things I noticed on the 4th down. Lyons got lit up the play before hand. He layed on the floor for some time and got up slow. If this was the NFL, he probably would have been pulled from the game to be evaluated for a concussion. Who knows if he even knew what he was doing. Also, Coach Doherty didn't seem to have much of a reaction to the failed 4th down. It wouldn't be the reaction I suspected by a coach if the players made a mistake for going for it. It was likely on him. Crazy to think any coach would go for it in that situation against the caliber of team that Serra is.

Did Serra's QB throw an Int. last night? The coaching difference was evident, but I just didn't think the player talent was any where near equal and was heavily in favor of Folsom.
Coaching was a massive difference. You could say Folsom has more talent but Serra matches that with great football players. You don't have to be a Power 4 player to be a great high school football player. Coachable, high effort, solid athletes are all over Serra's roster.

I’m no Folsom homer but nobody can watch that game and tell me the better team won. Serra got extremely lucky to come out of there with a win. Missed fg chip shot by folsom and onside kick they didn’t even look ready for. Props to Serra because they played their tails off and out coached folsom but let’s be honest that Folsom let them off the hook. I think DLS beats Serra personally.

I’m no Folsom homer but nobody can watch that game and tell me the better team won. Serra got extremely lucky to come out of there with a win. Missed fg chip shot by folsom and onside kick they didn’t even look ready for. Props to Serra because they played their tails off and out coached folsom but let’s be honest that Folsom let them off the hook. I think DLS beats Serra personally.
Serra dominated the 1st and 4th quarters, that's at least 50 percent of the game. Folsom scored on one drive, they scored on a fumble inside Serra's 20 on the kickoff and then scored on a lateral play that should've never happened because the ball hit the ground on the previous play where the ruled the WR caught it for a long catch. I would say that's Serra letting Folsom off the hook. Serra also missed a PAT and a chip shot FG as well and was on a bus for 4.5 hours. The team with more talent may not have won but the better "team" did win.

Serra dominated the 1st and 4th quarters, that's at least 50 percent of the game. Folsom scored on one drive, they scored on a fumble inside Serra's 20 on the kickoff and then scored on a lateral play that should've never happened because the ball hit the ground on the previous play where the ruled the WR caught it for a long catch. I would say that's Serra letting Folsom off the hook. Serra also missed a PAT and a chip shot FG as well and was on a bus for 4.5 hours. The team with more talent may not have won but the better "team" did win.
There was no “dominating” by either team. Serra just had a better game plan. Slow the clock with tons of runs, limit throws for new qb, keep Folsom offense off the field. Go watch the final 6 minutes if that game and tell me Folsom didn’t let Serra off the hook.

There was no “dominating” by either team. Serra just had a better game plan. Slow the clock with tons of runs, limit throws for new qb, keep Folsom offense off the field. Go watch the final 6 minutes if that game and tell me Folsom didn’t let Serra off the hook.
Running the football is still part of the game the last time I checked, and if you can't stop it, when you know it's coming, in the 4th quarter of a one score game, to the tune of over 300 yards on the ground, you got dominated.

You folks are all making good points. But there's one thing that stands out for your beloved colonel: For all practical purposes, this is a new Serra team, a vastly different group from what we saw in 2022 and 2023. Folsom was their first game. Folsom is outstanding, almost surely the best public school team and program in NorCal. They are loaded with individual talent. Serra was on the road and led by a new, inexperienced senior QB. Yes, most of these new Serra faces are virtually unknown. But their performance was a good indicator of the depth of the program, which embraces about 225 players at three levels today (27 percent of the student body). Serra is on the road again Friday at DLS. The Spartans have lost to Serra the last two seasons. In 2023, the final score was a shocking 28-0. The last time DLS had been shut out was during the William McKinley Administration. OK, just kidding. But it's been awhile. A long while. DLS should be favored this week. Then again, so was Folsom.

I was at the game and it was a total toss up in my opinion on who the better team was. I thought Folsom was going to hold on and win but they didn't. Serra also missed a FG and there kicker is incredible. Folsom got extremely lucky at end of 1st half as well.

50 yard hail mary slips thru #10 hands on Serra (he thought he interecepted it). The serra coaches thought the ball hit the ground and it should have been no catch by folsom kid. Bet if they replayed it the ball hit the ground because it was right next to walsh.

Next 2 plays folsom scores on some circus act lateral ala CAL bears play. Total luck.

They play again and it would be decided by 7 or less points. Serra was every bit as good.

I was at the game and it was a total toss up in my opinion on who the better team was. I thought Folsom was going to hold on and win but they didn't. Serra also missed a FG and there kicker is incredible. Folsom got extremely lucky at end of 1st half as well.

50 yard hail mary slips thru #10 hands on Serra (he thought he interecepted it). The serra coaches thought the ball hit the ground and it should have been no catch by folsom kid. Bet if they replayed it the ball hit the ground because it was right next to walsh.

Next 2 plays folsom scores on some circus act lateral ala CAL bears play. Total luck.

They play again and it would be decided by 7 or less points. Serra was every bit as good.
This. I don't know how anyone watching that game could say Folsom was the better team. Neither team separated from the other. Neither team had a once in a life time style of game. It was a gritty matchup where both teams had some luck and bad luck that led to the opposing team capitalizing. It was pretty clear these were two of the top teams in Northern CA and there wasn't much of a gap between them.

The ball did hit the ground, TWICE! check out west coast preps sacramento twitter feed
Can you link it? Full game is on YouTube on Sports Idol Nation and from that feed it looks like a miraculous catch. Go to 1:15:08 of the video for replay.

Serra was the better team. Shut down Folsom offense and Folsom even scored on last play of first half. Serra is in Folsoms head. Tough to reverse ownage.

Serra was the better team. Shut down Folsom offense and Folsom even scored on last play of first half. Serra is in Folsoms head. Tough to reverse ownage.
100%…. Ownage…. Walsh knows how the slow Folsom Down and play a low scoring game…. Just like DLS has proven that against Folsom you can dictate the terms Coaching wise and Physically….

The record against these teams speaks for itself…. Frustrate Folsom and they will make enough mistakes for you to win….

Reactions: aztecpadre
Not sure I agree. I watched the game (zero allegiance to either team so could care less who won). No doubt Folsom was the more talented team. Serra was the better coached team.. They seem pretty equal, I wouldn’t say one was really better than the other. Honestly if they play 10 times I’d say its 5/5 split, 6/4 at best.

Two things I noticed on the 4th down. Lyons got lit up the play before hand. He layed on the floor for some time and got up slow. If this was the NFL, he probably would have been pulled from the game to be evaluated for a concussion. Who knows if he even knew what he was doing. Also, Coach Doherty didn't seem to have much of a reaction to the failed 4th down. It wouldn't be the reaction I suspected by a coach if the players made a mistake for going for it. It was likely on him. Crazy to think any coach would go for it in that situation against the caliber of team that Serra is.

Coaching was a massive difference. You could say Folsom has more talent but Serra matches that with great football players. You don't have to be a Power 4 player to be a great high school football player. Coachable, high effort, solid athletes are all over Serra's roster.
I only saw the 4th quarter of this game, and didn’t see any talent disparity at that time. I did see the boffo onside kick coverage by Folsom that gave Serra the ball back. But I saw Serra running the football very effectively, controlling the quarter, and keeping Lyons in check.Whatever talent advantage Folsom supposedly had, it wasn’t manifesting itself at all

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89 and dcpanda
i hope i dont get banned for saying this but folsom eliminated themselves from open contention with that loss against serra. the winner of serra versus dls will get the open spot, unless one of them gets upsetted in the playoffs (saint francis or pittsburg being the only two candidates for that with st. francis having a 3% chance and pittsburg having a -0 percent % chance).

i don't see a scenario where serra and dls both lose multiple games to get folsom back in the mix. hopefully CIF does the right thing and puts them in 1AA when the time comes, the nor cal regional should be a classic.

I only saw the 4th quarter of this game, and didn’t see any talent disparity at that time. I did see the boffo onside kick coverage by Folsom that gave Serra the ball back. But I saw Serra running the football very effectively, controlling the quarter, and keeping Lyons in check.Whatever talent advantage Folsom supposedly had, it wasn’t manifesting itself at all
"IF" Folsom had Sharma I think he would have been a problem for Serra. Otherwise pretty much even.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT