ADVERTISEMENT

Je'lani Clark of Riordan

Nevada got themselves a good one.

Has there been a time in SF Basketball where two guards playing for the same team had D1 scholarship offers?

Bet its only happened a handful of times!

Reactions: superle
yes. its happened at Riordan before and St. Ignatius, Sacred Heart and Lincoln...

Nevada got themselves a good one.

Has there been a time in SF Basketball where two guards playing for the same team had D1 scholarship offers?

Bet its only happened a handful of times!

Last edited:
Did those schools have two guards sign D1 in the early period? Obviously I haven’t done the leg work but it seems rare for a NorCal school to have two D1 signed guards heading into the season.

2013 Salesian
2013 Sheldon
2018 O’Dowd

Again, this isn’t meant as a full list. Just the schools that came to mind first.

Either way, quite an accomplishment for Je’Lani, Bryce and Riordan

Reactions: frencheezy
Did those schools have two guards sign D1 in the early period? Obviously I haven’t done the leg work but it seems rare for a NorCal school to have two D1 signed guards heading into the season.

2013 Salesian
2013 Sheldon
2018 O’Dowd

Again, this isn’t meant as a full list. Just the schools that came to mind first.

Salesian had 3 D1 guards headed into 2013 season. Markel Leonard, Mario Dunn, and Jabari Bird

Congrats to Je’Lani! It’s going to be fun watching Je’Lani and Bryce as they enjoy their Senior year leading the Crusaders!

2013 Salesian
2013 Sheldon
2018 O’Dowd

I won't swear on it, but I believe the 2008 San Leandro team might have had two. Cunningham
and Shaheed Young, or Travis Sims. Anyway, a good team that won Gridley after starting 4 sophomores who matured as seniors.

Here's wishing you great hoops

yes. its happened at Riordan before and St. Ignatius, Sacred Heart and Lincoln...

Where are my Riordan peeps.. this is going way back. Ray Kelly and Dorian Manigo? I can’t remember if they played together ?
Also recruiting diff now than 10-20 years ago with early signings vs later. I would just say d1 guards whether comittment was early or late. Does it matter? Go crusaders!

Not Guards and I’m not a Riordan peep but a friend of mine John Tofi UTEP and his Teammate Marquise Kately were D1 teammates

in a city the size of san francisco is it really that insane that 2 kids on the same team are capable of earning a scholarship? it isnt like we are talking about a 7,000 population town in montana.

Reactions: Tammy1029
Where are my Riordan peeps.. this is going way back. Ray Kelly and Dorian Manigo? I can’t remember if they played together ?
Also recruiting diff now than 10-20 years ago with early signings vs later. I would just say d1 guards whether comittment was early or late. Does it matter? Go crusaders!
They did play together, but Ray was a senior when Dorian played on varsity as a junior.

Wasn’t there another D1 guard that played alongside Terrence Mullins at Riordan back in the 80s?

St Ignatius 1982/83
Paul Fortier, Washington
Rob Ennis...St. Marys
Levi Middlebrooks, Peperdine

Lincoln 1984/1985
Troy Merrill, Washington
Robbie Grisby, USF

Riordan 1985 team had 4 D1 players.
Erick Newman. St Marys
Dave Peed, Eastern Washington
Chris Munk, USC
Terrence Mullins, Oklahoma
Dave Padilla. D2 PLAYED overseas for 10 years.
Greg Brown, D2
Ranon Ross D2
Demfield Wade, Northern Colorado
Eric Racklin, Tulane Football...

Riordan 1988/89
Waymon Strickland; San Diego
Ray Kelly, TCU/UCSB
Troy Leblanc. Eastern Washington
Dwayne Fontana, Arizona State [git moved up]
Dorian Manigo, Cal state Northridge [got moved up]
Taraj Smith, SDSU football
Jeff Speech, SDSU football

Sacred Heart 1995/1996
LyRyan Russell, USF
Al Johnson, Tennessee State
Justin Love, St.Louis University

St Ignatius
1996/1997
Ali Thomas, Usf
Luke Whitehead Louisville
John Duggan, USF
Joe Skiffer, Bosie State

Riordan 2014
Frankie Ferrari [Usf]. He was at the school for his junior year
Jiday [sac state]

I write this to say. its not uncommon. If you are at a good program, players will come. In the 1980s and 1990a, city ball was good. Real good. It has fallen on tough times due to demographic shifts, gentrification and kids going to non-traditional bball schools [Urban, University, Lick, Stuart hall] , but they're are still players in the city. There might be another one or 2 D1 guys at Riordan in the 2020 class. We shall see how it all plays out...But regarding Mr
Clark, congrats...Mr. Monroe as well...

Last edited:
St Ignatius 1982/83
Paul Fortier, Washington
Craig...St. Marys

Lincoln 1984/1985
Troy Merrill, Washington
Robbie Grisby, USF

Erick Newman. St Marys
Chris Munk, USC
Greg Brown, D2
Ranon Ross D2

Riordan 1988/89
Ray Kelly, TCU/UCSB

Sacred Heart 1995/1996
LyRyan Russell, USF

St Ignatius
1996/1997
Ali Thomas, Usf
John Duggan, USF
Joe Skiffer, Bosie State

Riordan 2014
Jiday [sac state]

I write this to say. its not uncommon. If you are at a good program, players will come. In the 1980s and 1990a, city ball was good. Real good. It has fallen on tough times due to demographic shifts, gentrification and kids going to non-traditional bball schools [urban, University, Stuart hall] , but they're are still players in the city. There might be another one or 2 D1 guys at Riordan in the 2020 class. We shall see how it all plays out..
Streaks initial question was referring two D1 guards signed going into the season. None of the examples you give above fit that. The Sheldon teams, Salesian and the recent O'Dowd guards are the only ones I can think of as well. Congrats to the young men and Riordan.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
St Ignatius 1982/83
Paul Fortier, Washington
Craig...St. Marys

Lincoln 1984/1985
Troy Merrill, Washington
Robbie Grisby, USF

Erick Newman. St Marys
Chris Munk, USC
Greg Brown, D2
Ranon Ross D2

Riordan 1988/89
Ray Kelly, TCU/UCSB

Sacred Heart 1995/1996
LyRyan Russell, USF

St Ignatius
1996/1997
Ali Thomas, Usf
John Duggan, USF
Joe Skiffer, Bosie State

Riordan 2014
Jiday [sac state]

I write this to say. its not uncommon. If you are at a good program, players will come. In the 1980s and 1990a, city ball was good. Real good. It has fallen on tough times due to demographic shifts, gentrification and kids going to non-traditional bball schools [Urban, University, Lick, Stuart hall] , but they're are still players in the city. There might be another one or 2 D1 guys at Riordan in the 2020 class. We shall see how it all plays out...But regarding Mr
GENTRIFICATION! explains why weston ranch is so good

Well technically no. But the early signing period is something new.
But you have had several teams with D1 backcourts in San Francisco. That's nothing new.

Streaks initial question was referring two D1 guards signed going into the season. None of the examples you give above fit that. The Sheldon teams, Salesian and the recent O'Dowd guards are the only ones I can think of as well. Congrats to the young men and Riordan.

Gentrification explains the rise of a lot of communities and or regions rising high school athletics. That's a fact. ex. Joe Mixons [Cincinnati Bengals] grew up around the corner from me. They moved to Antioch when he was in middle school. I can go down rosters of several schools and point to SF roots on teams. #facts...

GENTRIFICATION! explains why weston ranch is so good

St Ignatius 1982/83
Paul Fortier, Washington
Craig...St. Marys

Lincoln 1984/1985
Troy Merrill, Washington
Robbie Grisby, USF

Erick Newman. St Marys
Chris Munk, USC
Greg Brown, D2
Ranon Ross D2

Riordan 1988/89
Ray Kelly, TCU/UCSB

Sacred Heart 1995/1996
LyRyan Russell, USF

St Ignatius
1996/1997
Ali Thomas, Usf
John Duggan, USF
Joe Skiffer, Bosie State

Riordan 2014
Jiday [sac state]

Justin Love didnt go straight to St. Louis. He went to Cañada first, then transferred to SLU as a JUCO.
I forget if Trevor Dunbar and Stephen Domingo were the same class but Dunbar went to Wash St. and Domingo went to Georgetown.

yes. they were. Dunbar and Domingo. But Domingo left and enrolled in college early. [big mistake]. You are right about Love. But he was D1 ready. Usf dropped the ball in him It worked out better at the end for him anyway.

Justin Love didnt go straight to St. Louis. He went to Cañada first, then transferred to SLU as a JUCO.
I forget if Trevor Dunbar and Stephen Domingo were the same class but Dunbar went to Wash St. and Domingo went to Georgetown.

Last edited:
St Ignatius 1982/83
Paul Fortier, Washington
Craig...St. Marys

Lincoln 1984/1985
Troy Merrill, Washington
Robbie Grisby, USF

Erick Newman. St Marys
Chris Munk, USC
Greg Brown, D2
Ranon Ross D2

Riordan 1988/89
Ray Kelly, TCU/UCSB

Sacred Heart 1995/1996
LyRyan Russell, USF

St Ignatius
1996/1997
Ali Thomas, Usf
John Duggan, USF
Joe Skiffer, Bosie State

Riordan 2014
Jiday [sac state]

Riordan 2016
Eddie Stansberry - CCSF/Univ of Hawaii

Harry Heilmann didn't get any hoop offers that I know of. He decided to play baseball instead after he graduated from Sacred Heart. Did okay too.

St Ignatius 1982/83
Paul Fortier, Washington
Craig...St. Marys

Lincoln 1984/1985
Troy Merrill, Washington
Robbie Grisby, USF

Erick Newman. St Marys
Chris Munk, USC
Greg Brown, D2
Ranon Ross D2

Riordan 1988/89
Ray Kelly, TCU/UCSB

Sacred Heart 1995/1996
LyRyan Russell, USF

St Ignatius
1996/1997
Ali Thomas, Usf
John Duggan, USF
Joe Skiffer, Bosie State

Riordan 2014
Jiday [sac state]

St. Ignatius 1984
David Wilson - Washington
Levy Middlebrooks - Pepperdine

Sacred Heart 1983
Eric White - Pepperdine
Kevin Gogan - Washington (NFL)
If I remember right Eric and Levy were back to back freshman of the year in the WCC and played in March Madness for the Waves.

Good memory Superle but a few SI corrections:

John Duggan graduated in 1992

The 81-82 team
Paul Fortier Washington
Rob Ennis St. Mary's
Tom Phelan Cal

The 83/84 team that lost to Long Beach Poly for state title
Levy Middlebrooks Pepperdine
David Wilson Washington (as stated above by WM483)
Dan Oyharcabel Stanford

Middlebrooks and Fortier never played together. Middlebrooks and Wilson played JV their soph year as Mr Drucker disliked sophs playing varsity. Rather they get playing time on JV.

Dunbar soph year did play one year with Domingo.

Good memory Superle but a few SI corrections:

John Duggan graduated in 1992

The 81-82 team
Paul Fortier Washington
Rob Ennis St. Mary's
Tom Phelan Cal

The 83/84 team that lost to Long Beach Poly for state title
Levy Middlebrooks Pepperdine
David Wilson Washington (as stated above by WM483)
Dan Oyharcabel Stanford

Middlebrooks and Fortier never played together. Middlebrooks and Wilson played JV their soph year as Mr Drucker disliked sophs playing varsity. Rather they get playing time on JV.

Dunbar soph year did play one year with Domingo.
CM are you sure you aren't thinking of Jeff Tildgen from the 80-81 team? He played at Cal. The 80-81 team was Paul's first year at SI. They upset that team from LA over in the Oakland Arena. While Drucker didn't like sophs on the varsity Levy wasn't ready. He was still figuring out how to use those huge shoulders and chest. David on the other hand was ready.

They moved Levi up in playoffs.

CM are you sure you aren't thinking of Jeff Tildgen from the 80-81 team? He played at Cal. The 80-81 team was Paul's first year at SI. They upset that team from LA over in the Oakland Arena. While Drucker didn't like sophs on the varsity Levy wasn't ready. He was still figuring out how to use those huge shoulders and chest. David on the other hand was ready.

Or that 1982 Drake Pirates State Title team that went undefeated. Chris Fulton - Utah ; Jim Saia Cal Poly,

Don't forget little ol' Cloverdale of the early 80's with Craig McMillan and Craig Bergman!

One of the greatest ever north of the gate. Believe they won 2 state champ back when only had a few divisions. School of 400. Buddy still has clipping from parade magazine when McMillan was first team all American.

Reactions: observer22
St Ignatius 1982/83
Paul Fortier, Washington
Rob Ennis...St. Marys

Lincoln 1984/1985
Troy Merrill, Washington
Robbie Grisby, USF

Erick Newman. St Marys
Chris Munk, USC
Greg Brown, D2
Ranon Ross D2

Riordan 1988/89
Ray Kelly, TCU/UCSB

Sacred Heart 1995/1996
LyRyan Russell, USF

St Ignatius
1996/1997
Ali Thomas, Usf
John Duggan, USF
Joe Skiffer, Bosie State

Riordan 2014
Jiday [sac state]

My dad would take me to the crusader classic every year. Those late 80’s and early 90’s Riordan teams were amazing. Fontana is one of the best forwards at 6”5 I saw play. Believe he led pac 10 in rebounding. He just couldn’t shoot past 12 feet but played like he was 6”9.
That is when school like mcateer were very good in the city. Jeff Speech was a freak athlete. Kid could take off from near free thrown line. Good ole days.

My dad would take me to the crusader classic every year. Those late 80’s and early 90’s Riordan teams were amazing. Fontana is one of the best forwards at 6”5 I saw play. Believe he led pac 10 in rebounding. He just couldn’t shoot past 12 feet but played like he was 6”9.
That is when school like mcateer were very good in the city. Jeff Speech was a freak athlete. Kid could take off from near free thrown line. Good ole days.

Fontana could jump out the gym, I remember watching him as a kid at the SF Pro Am. He played on the same team as Stanford’s Brevin Knight. Brevin would just throw it near the rim and he would get it. Team also had Eddie House.

Reactions: larry legend33
When going up against those 80s and early 90s Crusaders teams, you can be sure the opponents were demoralized, did some soul searching, prayed to God, etc. You were going to lose and get pummeled. And if they keep up with this pipeline of exchange students from Africa, we'll see a rebirth of that 80s-90s dominance.

When going up against those 80s and early 90s Crusaders teams, you can be sure the opponents were demoralized, did some soul searching, prayed to God, etc. You were going to lose and get pummeled. And if they keep up with this pipeline of exchange students from Africa, we'll see a rebirth of that 80s-90s dominance.
america has caught up... they make some pretty good post players in sacramento and LA too.

Fontana could jump out the gym, I remember watching him as a kid at the SF Pro Am. He played on the same team as Stanford’s Brevin Knight. Brevin would just throw it near the rim and he would get it. Team also had Eddie House.

Yes he could.. played super hard too. Those were great times. Sounds like a rebirth too me!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT