ADVERTISEMENT

Jesuit vs Modesto Christian for 7th place

H.E.A.T.

Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2010
Jesuit outlasted MC 67-65 to take 7th place in the Father Berry. Normally may have been a championship matchup. Can anyone shed light on these 2 traditional powers going 1-5 in this tourney

MC has two guys injured, but they were both also out when they beat St Joe's last weekend. Dunno 'bout Jesuit... I do know that tourney appeared to be pretty loaded.

I wasn't there, but that's what it seemed like based on reputations, etc. as I looked at the bracket while deciding which tourney to attend... Maybe that's an overstatement. It probably wasn't as great as what I saw at DLS this weekend, but I'd still say the quality of play was probably more than decent (especially for December).

Anywayy, further conjecture on MC, when they beat St. Joe's last week, they were ripping the nylons from beyond the line (12 for 20 on 3's late in the game). Maybe they just didn't do so well this week... Combine that with their youth (mostly freshmen and sophs on the floor from what I remember), they could have panicked and done the ol' keep-on-shooting-bombs-even-when-ya-can't-throw-it-in-the-ocean thing. I doubt that would explain three bad games, though... but a factor, I bet.

Just saw a tweet from MC that said they now have 6 players out with injury...

I have no idea what's going on with Jesuit. They had a few players, including Rutherford, playing football until two weeks ago. But I assume they'd be back in the swing of things by now. I'm not sure if they have any players out with injuries or anything.

Definitely expected them to be solid this season considering they really only lost two key contributors from a pretty young team that went 25-6 last season.

MC no international kids = limited wins although they should be able to get by most of the south part of SJS and league without much problem.

I have no idea what's going on with Jesuit. They had a few players, including Rutherford, playing football until two weeks ago. But I assume they'd be back in the swing of things by now. I'm not sure if they have any players out with injuries or anything.

Definitely expected them to be solid this season considering they really only lost two key contributors from a pretty young team that went 25-6 last season.
Jesuit will be solid this year. Does anyone expect teams with no d1 players to beat teams that are super loaded? Woodcreek, capital and Sheldon are freaking stacked with multiple next level players. Even Folsom has Forbes who might end up in the PAC 12

This tournament was a solid one but probably wasn’t as good as the one that featured St. Joes VS De La Salle in the championship game. I attended the first day of the Vontoure Spartan Classic and I was familiar with some of the teams more than others, but I think that’s the case in any tournament. But the Jesuit tournament did feature some really solid teams as well and individually had some really talented players (Brandon McCoy, Joey Calcaterra, Logan Johnson and etc.).

Not sure what’s up with Jesuit. I was really looking forward to this game as both teams played the year before in the championship game. Jesuit only has one underclassmen this year (I believe) so I’m not too sure what to make of them at this point. As is the case every year some teams get off to a slow start, which with the effort they displayed I would say is the case with them.

Modesto Christian is pretty banged up right now. I talked to one of the player’s parents at the tournament while watching the game. They lost their starting power forward for the year to a knee injury, they lost another starter to a fractured hand, they lost one of their replacement starters to a hip injury and the other replacement starter to a sprained wrist. I didn’t see their first two games of the tournament. They had 7 players dressed (one didn’t play) and I know they are young. Team is made up of mostly freshman and sophomores.

Modesto Christian going 0 and 3 was more puzzling with the fact they beat St. Joes earlier in the season. They will be interesting to watch this year with a new coaching staff and young bucks out there. I believe there is a chance these two teams could face each other again during sections so hopefully both teams are at full strength and figure out the early season bugaboos.

Kiddman32 what was your take on De la salle are they as good or is this a down year.

De La Salle is down from last year's NorCal Open team, but still really solid. They have good depth, decent but definitely not really big size, good ball handlers (esp. #14 Orr), solid players all around, but lack the kind of "create your own" kind of star that teams usually end up needing in big games (or to turn semi-comfortable wins into true blowouts to help 'em relax and have fun (Mental breaks are important, in my opinion). Shooting from outside is, well.... hit-and-miss. (pun sorta not intended...)

They'll likely win well over 20 games; how much better they do after that will depend on team/player development as the year goes on.

There was a little new-coach kind of team miscommunication but not a lot of that... Might have caused them some of their troubles in the St. Joe's game. We'll just have to see if they can tighten that sort of stuff up.

I think the biggest takeaway from the tournament at Jesuit should be how dominant St. Francis was en route to the title. This is a team that returned one starter. Seems like Mihanovic has really stepped up so far, along with Maurice Wilmer, a sophomore. Probably also helps to have a couple of guys who only played football last year (Fort and Williams).

Either way, St. Francis was expected to take a significant step back, and that seems to be the opposite of what's happened so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT