ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Playoffs and Season recap

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL PLAYOFFS

As a whole the PCAL did not fair well in their playoff seedings. Instead of playing in Divisions II-V, all PCAL teams were placed in DI-DIV. And most did not get favorable seeds. As only 3 of the 11 qualifying teams earned a home game. And 2 of those are hosting other PCAL teams. But as noted in other Posts the CCS playoff system can sometimes be just weird. Carmel in DII while Palma and Hollister in DIII? Best chances at a CCS title…nobody. A PCAL team will not be favored in any division. I would give Salinas a fighting chance if they drew the #7 seed or above in DI/Open. Soquel-Carmel winner will have to get by Mitty in DII. DIII, Alisal and the Palma/Hollister winner has Menlo Atherton hanging around. And in DIV Palo Alto will be the favorite. I am not saying that upsets won’t happen, just saying I do not see any PCAL teams being a favorite an any of the divisions. As afar as next year, if they keep the same format look for Carmel to move up to the Gabilan, Alvarez to move down to Mission North, Santa Cruz to move down to the Santa Lucia and Greenfield to move up into the Mission South.

Gabilan

Final standings

• Salinas
  • Soquel
  • Monterey
  • Palma
  • Hollister
  • Aptos
  • Alvarez
My Predictions

• Salinas (CA)
  • Palma (Salinas, CA)
  • Aptos (CA)
  • Hollister (CA)
  • Monterey (CA)
  • Soquel (CA)
  • Alvarez (CA)
Gabilan was much closer top to bottom this year than in previous years. Not necessarily better. Yes, Salinas still went through undefeated but game were closer, and for all that effort it was awarded a #8 seed in DI vs CCS bully Serra. Soquel had a great year, and I did pick them to be out of the race, but in my defense, I was not aware that all the Santa Cruz team had transferred there. Palma had the 3 forfeits losses, but they still managed to regroup and beat the teams they had to in order to secure their 38 year playoff streak. This streak started when only 2 teams went to the playoffs from each league, it is pretty amazing. Monterey showed they belonged with their athleticism, but they were beat up a few times as well. Aptos was probably the biggest disappointment; it will be interesting to see how this program fairs with Blankenship retiring. Alvarez had a great victory over Hollister, but I see them getting put down to the B leagues next year.

Playoffs:

Fri 11/10 Palma (Salinas, CA) vs Hollister (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm CCS DIII Playoffs- Part of a Friday night Double header at Rabobank stadium in Salinas. These 2 long time rivals meet again after their thrilling 31-30 battle in week 6. Palma won on 2 pt conversion, look for this game to go down to the wire as well. Hollister get their revenge. Hollister 35-34

Fri 11/10 Carmel (CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:00pm CCS DII Playoffs –
For long time south CCS fans, it makes no sense to have Soquel and Carmel in DII while Palma and Hollister are in DIII. But in todays bizzarro playoff world that’s where we are at. Soquel has a great defense and I has been bolstered by the Santa Cruz additions. Carmel has the top offense in the whole area. Soquel will do what they do best long, sustained drives and try to keep Carmel O off the field. Call me crazy, but I like the upset here, Carmel gets Soquel into a shootout. Carmel 45-42

Sat 11/11 Monterey (CA) at Sacred Heart Prep (Atherton, CA), 1:00pm CCS DII Playoffs
– Monterey likes to win games with speed and Athleticism. SHP look like they have some speed and athleticism of their own. I just don’t know if Monterey can play mistake free football. SHP 31-24

Sat 11/11 Salinas (CA) at Serra (San Mateo, CA), 1:00pm CCS Open Playoffs
– I would give Salinas a fighting chance vs anyone else in this bracket including St. Francis. But not vs Serra. Serra 49-7

Mission North

Final Standings

• Scotts Valley (CA)
  • Seaside (CA)
  • Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA)
  • Watsonville (CA)
  • North Monterey County (Castroville, CA)
  • St. Francis (Watsonville, CA
  • Santa Cruz (CA)

My Predictions

• Scotts Valley (CA)
  • Seaside (CA)
  • St. Francis (Watsonville, CA)
  • Santa Cruz (CA)
  • Watsonville (CA)
Mission North played out more or less as predicted. Scott’s valley was the #1 team by long shot, with Seaside holding off North Monterey County. Santa Cruz was the biggest “miss”, as their program was gutted buy transfers. They only played 6 games and were forced to forfeit 4 other due to low numbers. They will probably be placed in the Santa Lucia next year. NMC was the biggest “surprise” as they were able to be very competitive and almost overtake Seaside for 2nd place. They did suffer an upset last week to Watsonville. I see this division remaining basically the same with the addition of Greenfield or Alvarez to replace Santa Cruz.

Fri 11/10 Scotts Valley (CA) at Aragon (San Mateo, CA), 7:00pm -CCS DIII Playoffs- I like this match up for Scott’s Valley. Aragon has a tough defense, so points will be at a premium. I think SV will be able to stop Aragon and score enough points to win. Scott’s Valley 14-7

Fri 11/10 Seaside (CA) at Palo Alto (CA), 7:00pm CCS DIV Playoffs-
I don’t really like this matchup for Seaside. This will be a rematch form last year’s D V championship. Congratulations to Palo Alto for playing in A league and being moved up to D IV for this years playoffs. Sarcasm aside, Seaside has some explosiveness on offense, but big physical team tend to wear them down due to lack of depth. Palo Alto 28-24

Mission South

Final Standings

• Carmel
  • Alisal
  • North Salinas
  • Pacific Grove
  • King City
  • Soledad
  • Ranch San Juan
My Prediction

• Carmel (CA)
  • Soledad (CA)
  • Alisal (Salinas, CA)
  • Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA)
  • King City (CA)
  • North Salinas (Salinas, CA)
  • Pacific Grove (CA)
The Mission South held to form a little bit. Carmel and their high-powered offense finished 10-0, but they barely escaped Alisal. Whose ground and pound offense propelled them into second place. North Salinas was the biggest surprise, securing 3rd place and an at large playoff berth. PG, did not finish last, which was unfortunate. King City and Rancho both had young teams, look for some improvement next year for both programs. I have a feeling Carmel gets bumped up next year, Alisal could be considered as well.

Fri 11/10 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Capuchino (San Bruno, CA), 7:00pm - CCS III Playoffs – I could go on about Alisal’s ground game and punishing front 7 but in my mind this pick is easy: Capuchino last to Sequoia, Alisal beat Sequoia. Alisal 28-14

Fri 11/10 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) vs Leigh (San Jose, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 4:00pm CCS D IV Playoffs. If North Salinas sticks to the basics and runs the ball, they should win. Sometimes NS gets a little too gimmicky, they have a great RB and need to keep feeding him. North Salinas 24-10

Santa Lucia

Final Standings

• Greenfield
  • RLS
  • Gonzales
  • SLV
  • Harbor
  • Marina
  • Pajaro Valley
MY Picks

• RLS (Pebble Beach, CA)
  • Greenfield (CA)
  • Gonzales (CA)
  • San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA)
  • Marina (CA)
  • Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA)
  • Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA)
Most of you know I always pick RLS. I kind of knew that Greenfield was just a little better this year. So really no big surprises in this division. The good news is every program won at least 1 game. I think that is really important when trying to start and maintain a winning culture. I see Greenfield getting moved up to a B league while Santa Cruz, begins its rebuilding in the Santa Lucia. And yes RLS will be the pre-season favorite.

Fri 11/10 Greenfield (CA) at Branham (San Jose, CA), 7:00pm CCS D IV Playoffs – Branham won a B league title (not a strong one), they also man handled Soledad a team Greenfield barely beat. I am rooting for Greenfield, but Branham might be too much. Branham 35-20

CCS Playoff Picks

DI/Open
Serra
Vs Salinas
Valley Christian Vs St. Ignatius
St. Francis Vs Wilcox
Riordan Vs Los Gatos

DII
Mitty
Vs Christopher
Live Oak Vs Menlo
Monterey Vs Sacred Heart Prep
Carmel
vs Soquel

DIII
Hillsdale vs Menlo-Atherton
Palma Vs Hollister
Scotts Valley
Vs Aragon
Alisal Vs Capuchino

DIV
Seaside vs Palo Alto
Leigh vs North Salinas
Greenfield vs Branham
Burlingame
vs Mountan View

DV
Del Mar vs Woodside
Los Altos
Vs Santa Teresa
Silver Creek Vs South San Francisco
Leland Vs Overfelt

D3 - Palma or Hollister should have a pretty good shot in D3. Depends on matchups and Menl Atherton is inconsistent as well and not really defeated anyone significant.

D2- Carmel has little chance. They should have been in D3 with their level of play but going undefeated with that schedule didn't help. Monterey will get the experience they will need for next season.

D1 - Salinas got screwed being matched against Serra first. Cowboys are going to be very good next season but they aren't close to the level Serra or St Francis are this season. Looks like Salinas is now in the Palma dilemma of the past. They are good but will be placed in the top bracket with what will have a couple rather elite private programs every year.

PCAL PLAYOFFS

As a whole the PCAL did not fair well in their playoff seedings. Instead of playing in Divisions II-V, all PCAL teams were placed in DI-DIV. And most did not get favorable seeds. As only 3 of the 11 qualifying teams earned a home game. And 2 of those are hosting other PCAL teams. But as noted in other Posts the CCS playoff system can sometimes be just weird. Carmel in DII while Palma and Hollister in DIII? Best chances at a CCS title…nobody. A PCAL team will not be favored in any division. I would give Salinas a fighting chance if they drew the #7 seed or above in DI/Open. Soquel-Carmel winner will have to get by Mitty in DII. DIII, Alisal and the Palma/Hollister winner has Menlo Atherton hanging around. And in DIV Palo Alto will be the favorite. I am not saying that upsets won’t happen, just saying I do not see any PCAL teams being a favorite an any of the divisions. As afar as next year, if they keep the same format look for Carmel to move up to the Gabilan, Alvarez to move down to Mission North, Santa Cruz to move down to the Santa Lucia and Greenfield to move up into the Mission South.

Gabilan

Final standings

• Salinas
  • Soquel
  • Monterey
  • Palma
  • Hollister
  • Aptos
  • Alvarez
My Predictions

• Salinas (CA)
  • Palma (Salinas, CA)
  • Aptos (CA)
  • Hollister (CA)
  • Monterey (CA)
  • Soquel (CA)
  • Alvarez (CA)
Gabilan was much closer top to bottom this year than in previous years. Not necessarily better. Yes, Salinas still went through undefeated but game were closer, and for all that effort it was awarded a #8 seed in DI vs CCS bully Serra. Soquel had a great year, and I did pick them to be out of the race, but in my defense, I was not aware that all the Santa Cruz team had transferred there. Palma had the 3 forfeits losses, but they still managed to regroup and beat the teams they had to in order to secure their 38 year playoff streak. This streak started when only 2 teams went to the playoffs from each league, it is pretty amazing. Monterey showed they belonged with their athleticism, but they were beat up a few times as well. Aptos was probably the biggest disappointment; it will be interesting to see how this program fairs with Blankenship retiring. Alvarez had a great victory over Hollister, but I see them getting put down to the B leagues next year.

Playoffs:

Fri 11/10 Palma (Salinas, CA) vs Hollister (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm CCS DIII Playoffs- Part of a Friday night Double header at Rabobank stadium in Salinas. These 2 long time rivals meet again after their thrilling 31-30 battle in week 6. Palma won on 2 pt conversion, look for this game to go down to the wire as well. Hollister get their revenge. Hollister 35-34

For long time south CCS fans, it makes no sense to have Soquel and Carmel in DII while Palma and Hollister are in DIII. But in todays bizzarro playoff world that’s where we are at. Soquel has a great defense and I has been bolstered by the Santa Cruz additions. Carmel has the top offense in the whole area. Soquel will do what they do best long, sustained drives and try to keep Carmel O off the field. Call me crazy, but I like the upset here, Carmel gets Soquel into a shootout. Carmel 45-42

Sat 11/11 Monterey (CA) at Sacred Heart Prep (Atherton, CA), 1:00pm CCS DII Playoffs
– Monterey likes to win games with speed and Athleticism. SHP look like they have some speed and athleticism of their own. I just don’t know if Monterey can play mistake free football. SHP 31-24

– I would give Salinas a fighting chance vs anyone else in this bracket including St. Francis. But not vs Serra. Serra 49-7

Mission North

Final Standings

• Scotts Valley (CA)
  • Seaside (CA)
  • Watsonville (CA)
  • Santa Cruz (CA)

My Predictions

• Scotts Valley (CA)
  • Seaside (CA)
  • Santa Cruz (CA)
  • Watsonville (CA)
Mission North played out more or less as predicted. Scott’s valley was the #1 team by long shot, with Seaside holding off North Monterey County. Santa Cruz was the biggest “miss”, as their program was gutted buy transfers. They only played 6 games and were forced to forfeit 4 other due to low numbers. They will probably be placed in the Santa Lucia next year. NMC was the biggest “surprise” as they were able to be very competitive and almost overtake Seaside for 2nd place. They did suffer an upset last week to Watsonville. I see this division remaining basically the same with the addition of Greenfield or Alvarez to replace Santa Cruz.

Fri 11/10 Scotts Valley (CA) at Aragon (San Mateo, CA), 7:00pm -CCS DIII Playoffs- I like this match up for Scott’s Valley. Aragon has a tough defense, so points will be at a premium. I think SV will be able to stop Aragon and score enough points to win. Scott’s Valley 14-7

I don’t really like this matchup for Seaside. This will be a rematch form last year’s D V championship. Congratulations to Palo Alto for playing in A league and being moved up to D IV for this years playoffs. Sarcasm aside, Seaside has some explosiveness on offense, but big physical team tend to wear them down due to lack of depth. Palo Alto 28-24

Mission South

Final Standings

• Carmel
  • Alisal
  • North Salinas
  • Pacific Grove
  • King City
  • Soledad
  • Ranch San Juan
My Prediction

• Carmel (CA)
  • Soledad (CA)
  • Alisal (Salinas, CA)
  • King City (CA)
  • Pacific Grove (CA)
The Mission South held to form a little bit. Carmel and their high-powered offense finished 10-0, but they barely escaped Alisal. Whose ground and pound offense propelled them into second place. North Salinas was the biggest surprise, securing 3rd place and an at large playoff berth. PG, did not finish last, which was unfortunate. King City and Rancho both had young teams, look for some improvement next year for both programs. I have a feeling Carmel gets bumped up next year, Alisal could be considered as well.

Fri 11/10 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Capuchino (San Bruno, CA), 7:00pm - CCS III Playoffs – I could go on about Alisal’s ground game and punishing front 7 but in my mind this pick is easy: Capuchino last to Sequoia, Alisal beat Sequoia. Alisal 28-14

Fri 11/10 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) vs Leigh (San Jose, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 4:00pm CCS D IV Playoffs. If North Salinas sticks to the basics and runs the ball, they should win. Sometimes NS gets a little too gimmicky, they have a great RB and need to keep feeding him. North Salinas 24-10

Santa Lucia

Final Standings

• Greenfield
  • RLS
  • Gonzales
  • SLV
  • Harbor
  • Marina
  • Pajaro Valley
MY Picks

• RLS (Pebble Beach, CA)
  • Greenfield (CA)
  • Gonzales (CA)
  • Marina (CA)
Most of you know I always pick RLS. I kind of knew that Greenfield was just a little better this year. So really no big surprises in this division. The good news is every program won at least 1 game. I think that is really important when trying to start and maintain a winning culture. I see Greenfield getting moved up to a B league while Santa Cruz, begins its rebuilding in the Santa Lucia. And yes RLS will be the pre-season favorite.

Fri 11/10 Greenfield (CA) at Branham (San Jose, CA), 7:00pm CCS D IV Playoffs – Branham won a B league title (not a strong one), they also man handled Soledad a team Greenfield barely beat. I am rooting for Greenfield, but Branham might be too much. Branham 35-20

CCS Playoff Picks

DI/Open
Serra
Vs Salinas
St. Francis Vs Wilcox
Riordan Vs Los Gatos

DII
Mitty
Vs Christopher
Live Oak Vs Menlo
Carmel
vs Soquel

DIII
Palma Vs Hollister
Scotts Valley
Vs Aragon
Alisal Vs Capuchino

DIV
Seaside vs Palo Alto
Leigh vs North Salinas
Greenfield vs Branham
Burlingame
vs Mountan View

DV
Del Mar vs Woodside
Los Altos
Vs Santa Teresa
Leland Vs Overfelt
Well done - I like the self-appraisal of prediction success. Looking forward to more PCAL review outlooks as the playoffs progress.

D1 - Salinas got screwed being matched against Serra first. Cowboys are going to be very good next season but they aren't close to the level Serra or St Francis are this season. Looks like Salinas is now in the Palma dilemma of the past. They are good but will be placed in the top bracket with what will have a couple rather elite private programs every year.
Totally agree - I think Wilcox cheated on their CCS Powerpoint worksheet and I wouldn't be surprised if Mitty purposely sandbagged for a better position for playoffs and CRB placement.

RLS13 well done with your picks, thoughtful and insightful. I am a PAL fan and I have followed the four PAL schools in D3. My picks are as follows, Hillsdale to upset Menlo Atherton and Palma over Hollister. Aragon’s Nissa runs wild as Dons best Scott’s Valley. Capuchino’s offensive and defensive lines control the line scrimmage as the Mustangs advance. Just a quick note on scores Aragon 35-Sequoia 0 and Capuchino 21-Aragon 14.

RLS13 well done with your picks, thoughtful and insightful. I am a PAL fan and I have followed the four PAL schools in D3. My picks are as follows, Hillsdale to upset Menlo Atherton and Palma over Hollister. Aragon’s Nissa runs wild as Dons best Scott’s Valley. Capuchino’s offensive and defensive lines control the line scrimmage as the Mustangs advance. Just a quick note on scores Aragon 35-Sequoia 0 and Capuchino 21-Aragon 14.
Wow, you're even more of a homer than @RLS13!

Totally agree - I think Wilcox cheated on their CCS Powerpoint worksheet and I wouldn't be surprised if Mitty purposely sandbagged for a better position for playoffs and CRB placement.
There were a number of suspicious results up and down the state. Mitty laid down against VC last week. Mission Viejo lost a strange game to San Clemente. Rancho Cucamonga lost to Upland. Not saying that these games could not have been legit, just that the results are suspicious since each of these losing teams conveniently dropped in division.

PCAL PLAYOFFS

Gabilan

Final standings

• Salinas
  • Soquel
  • Monterey
  • Palma
  • Hollister
  • Aptos
  • Alvarez
My Predictions

• Salinas (CA)
  • Palma (Salinas, CA)
  • Aptos (CA)
  • Hollister (CA)
  • Monterey (CA)
  • Soquel (CA)
  • Alvarez (CA)

Playoffs:

CCS Playoff Picks

DI/Open
Serra
Vs Salinas
St. Francis Vs Wilcox
Riordan Vs Los Gatos

DII
Mitty
Vs Christopher
Live Oak Vs Menlo
Carmel
vs Soquel

DIII
Palma Vs Hollister
Scotts Valley
Vs Aragon
Alisal Vs Capuchino

DIV
Seaside vs Palo Alto
Leigh vs North Salinas
Greenfield vs Branham
Burlingame
vs Mountan View

DV
Del Mar vs Woodside
Los Altos
Vs Santa Teresa
Leland Vs Overfelt
Fantastic summary and layout as usual!

I think Salinas was shocked last year as to how fast Serra was and I really think that the Padres took that game seriously. Lessons were learned... but unfortunately, it appears that Serra is better than last year and Salinas is not. If the Cowboys can keep the score similar to how Mitty did against them, I'll be satisfied.

I don't really think that Carmel will beat Soquel. This will be the best defense they'll have seen all year and the Knights have been able to capitalize on mistakes to turn them into victories. I like the Knights' chances overall in this division, including against Mitty.

I also would not entirely count out Monterey, but it is a shame that they're on the same side of the bracket as Soquel.

D-III absolutely could end up being an all-PCAL final. I don't know who will win between Palma and Hollister, but I like either to beat Menlo-Atherton. Both Scotts Valley and Alisal have fighting chances to advance, too.

I think the presence of Palo Alto will make things difficult for D-IV as they'll likely be the most physical team. But, they've also been inconsistent. This will be a competitive bracket.

Reactions: aztecpadre
PCAL PLAYOFFS

Gabilan

Final standings

• Salinas
  • Soquel
  • Monterey
  • Palma
  • Hollister
  • Aptos
  • Alvarez
My Predictions

• Salinas (CA)
  • Palma (Salinas, CA)
  • Aptos (CA)
  • Hollister (CA)
  • Monterey (CA)
  • Soquel (CA)
  • Alvarez (CA)

Playoffs:

Mission North

Final Standings

• Scotts Valley (CA)
  • Seaside (CA)
  • Watsonville (CA)
  • Santa Cruz (CA)

My Predictions

• Scotts Valley (CA)
  • Seaside (CA)
  • Santa Cruz (CA)
  • Watsonville (CA)

Mission South

Final Standings

• Carmel
  • Alisal
  • North Salinas
  • Pacific Grove
  • King City
  • Soledad
  • Ranch San Juan
My Prediction

• Carmel (CA)
  • Soledad (CA)
  • Alisal (Salinas, CA)
  • King City (CA)
  • Pacific Grove (CA)

Santa Lucia

Final Standings

• Greenfield
  • RLS
  • Gonzales
  • SLV
  • Harbor
  • Marina
  • Pajaro Valley
MY Picks

• RLS (Pebble Beach, CA)
  • Greenfield (CA)
  • Gonzales (CA)
  • Marina (CA)

CCS Playoff Picks

DI/Open
Serra
Vs Salinas
St. Francis Vs Wilcox
Riordan Vs Los Gatos

DII
Mitty
Vs Christopher
Live Oak Vs Menlo
Carmel
vs Soquel

DIII
Palma Vs Hollister
Scotts Valley
Vs Aragon
Alisal Vs Capuchino

DIV
Seaside vs Palo Alto
Leigh vs North Salinas
Greenfield vs Branham
Burlingame
vs Mountan View

DV
Del Mar vs Woodside
Los Altos
Vs Santa Teresa
Leland Vs Overfelt
Nice job RLS, as always! So we're the underdogs... probably a better place to start than the usual where 2 or 3 teams are favored and strike out! Good luck to your Pirates next year!

I know Soquel is good, I got flack for "overlooking" them in the beginning of the season, then I got flack for picking them to beat Palma.

This Carmel offense is really good. Monterey (maybe Los Gatos) is the only offense that Soquel has seen with this much speed. And the difference with this Carmel team than previous highs scoring versions, they have a lot of depth at the skill positions. They are more disciplined than Monterey. QB1 has done a real nice job of allowing the game to come to him and making the correct reads. With Palma Soquel was able to concentrate on taking away WR1, not much behind him this year. With Carmel they can run and throw, stopping them becomes much harder.

That being said, Carmel's defense is not that great, so they will try to get in a high scoring shootout with Soquel. If Soquel can slow them down they win the game, if it turns into a shoot out I like Carmel's chances.

And yes I would picked RLS to beat either of them ;)

Great write up as usual!

Soquel vs Carmel- I like the Carmel upset call. Soquel is big. Soquel is fast. Soquel is physical. Carmel hasn't seen anything close to them this year. Soquel has seen offenses better than Carmel. Yes, Carmel has scored the most points, but that does not mean they are the best offense in the whole area. I would expect Carmel to have a great game plan tonight. They will need it to pull off an upset.

Palma vs Hollsiter should be a battle. Two teams with disappointing seasons getting 2nd life to close out the year strong. I think the winner of this game has a really good shot at winning DIII. Hopefully, there will be a good showing for the only stadium in monterey county hosting games tonight. It's going to be chilly, but it should be some good football.

Serra vs Salinas- Bummer for Salinas. No one in DI has a shot against Serra. Hopefully they make it out of there safely.

Monterey vs SHP- This is also an intriguing game. I will be pulling for the local team upsets in DII. Monterey has played really well in some games and poorly in others. Still a young team that returns a lot of key players next year.

This Carmel offense is really good. Monterey (maybe Los Gatos) is the only offense that Soquel has seen with this much speed. ;)
Moving forward, I suggest we always add the qualifier "for the Mission" when we talk about speed or explosiveness.

Life is just different in the Gabilan.

Soquel was the better team, we all knew that going in. Game was much closer than the 35-14 final score. Carmel's offense was able to move the ball, they just made way to many mistakes. They had the ball inside the redone 3 times with out scoring any points. 2 Turnovers and goal line stand, cant have those mistakes vs good teams.

The goal line stand was the nail in the coffin as Carmel was looking to tie the game at 21 in the 4th qtr. Right after being stopped Soquel had a 94 yard TD run, 28-14, Ball game over.

You cant make that many mistakes vs a team like Soquel. Carmel needed to play mistake free football to win and they didn't. Soquel defense bent but did not break. lowery has built a fantastic program there over the past 6 years. I am hoping the get to play Monterey next week,

And yes life is different in the Gabilan....

Reactions: gr8ball
My picks are as follows, Hillsdale to upset Menlo Atherton and Palma over Hollister. Aragon’s Nissa runs wild as Dons best Scott’s Valley. Capuchino’s offensive and defensive lines control the line scrimmage as the Mustangs advance
@WOW Freddy, you nailed the Palma pick!!!! 😂

Scott's Valley and Alisal did the PCAL proud last night, now one of them will get to the DIII finals.

And I am not sure what got into Palma, I picked them to lose a close a game, but they destroyed Hollister. hope they can repeat it next week vs Menlo Atherton. It would be great to have a PCAL DIII final! (We can argue latter about whether Palma should be in DIII because of the 3 Forfeits ;))

Reactions: gr8ball

Scott's Valley and Alisal did the PCAL proud last night, now one of them will get to the DIII finals.

And I am not sure what got into Palma, I picked them to lose a close a game, but they destroyed Hollister. hope they can repeat it next week vs Menlo Atherton. It would be great to have a PCAL DIII final! (We can argue latter about whether Palma should be in DIII because of the 3 Forfeits ;))
Soquel and Monterey took 2nd and 3rd in the Gab, respectively. D-II.

Palma and Hollister took 4th and 5th, respectively. D-III.

Menlo-Atherton took 4th in the Bay and no one is batting an eye about it.

I think the division placements are fine.

I stand by my previous prediction that the winner of Palma-Hollister will win the division.

Capuchino had no answers for the Alisal QB whose ball-handling, quickness, grit and savvy confused and perplexed the hometown Mustangs all night long in the San Bruno chill.

Reactions: gr8ball and RLS13

Palma came to play last night. The game was never close. Hollister was flat and Palma hit on some big plays right from the start. It took all the energy out of Hollister. It was a blowout from there on out. It should be a good game against MA, the winner will be heavy favorites in the DIII championship game.

Palma would have been on the cusp of DII/DIII with out the forfeits. 3 wins vs B league teams doesn't getting you many points. I'm not sure how their rankings changed with the forfeits, but assuming it wasn't dramatic they likely would have fell behind Christopher (DII #8 see) still.

Soquel was the better team, we all knew that going in. Game was much closer than the 35-14 final score. Carmel's offense was able to move the ball, they just made way to many mistakes. They had the ball inside the redone 3 times with out scoring any points. 2 Turnovers and goal line stand, cant have those mistakes vs good teams.

The goal line stand was the nail in the coffin as Carmel was looking to tie the game at 21 in the 4th qtr. Right after being stopped Soquel had a 94 yard TD run, 28-14, Ball game over.

You cant make that many mistakes vs a team like Soquel. Carmel needed to play mistake free football to win and they didn't. Soquel defense bent but did not break. lowery has built a fantastic program there over the past 6 years. I am hoping the get to play Monterey next week,

I heard the game was closer than the score too. I also heard there was a feeling that Carmel coudn't do anything to stop Soquel offense half way through the game. These comments came from a Carmel players dad. I wouldn't call 2 turnovers and a goal line stand mistakes. That discredits Soquel. I know that wasn't your intention, but Soquel played a role in the "mistakes". It's no surprise that these "mistakes" happened in the red zone. Carmel spreads you out and uses the whole field. Once they get in the condensed area of the redzone a good defense is only going to get better.

Carmel will get to live that life next year in the Gab. They can compete in that division. It's where they belong in an equity league in PCAL. They return some very good players.

Reactions: gr8ball and RLS13
@thehookup55 I agree with what you said about Soquel, not my intent at all to discredit them. Their defense forced some of those mistakes and had the goal line stand. They are really good on both sides of the balls. I knew Carmel would not be able to stop them, it had to be a shoot out for Carmel to win. Soquel defense bent but did not break.

Carmel loses some good experienced seniors, but most of their best playmakers are coming back. And I would be shocked if they were not sent up to the Gabilan.

Cal14- Of course " Life is just different in the Gabilan". That's why they have different divisions in the PCAL. Yes- Carmel lost- but as a neutral observer of the game- Carmel was 3-4 plays away from flipping that score around. The divide in this case was very narrow. It's ok to acknowledge that Carmel has a very good small public school program. With that being said- if they are bumped up to the Gabilan next year- the task will be daunting.
When Carmel knocked off Alvarez - a Gabilan team-earlier this year- I don't remember any Carmel supporters proclaiming " Life is just different in the Mission".

Time to put all the Privates in the open division! WCAL plus Palma, Menlo, Sacred Heart Prep and Kings Academy. They need to play in their own Division. They play by different rules. Neighborhood teams against all star teams. Kudos to Christopher, Los Gatos and Wilcox! Nice job by Alisal and Scott’s Valley..

Time to put all the Privates in the open division! WCAL plus Palma, Menlo, Sacred Heart Prep and Kings Academy. They need to play in their own Division. They play by different rules. Neighborhood teams against all star teams. Kudos to Christopher, Los Gatos and Wilcox! Nice job by Alisal and Scott’s Valley..
Kudos... But in your scenario, you would never know if you were better or worse than the lauded Private league. Your suggestions is nothing more that segregation that society is working so hard to ban. You can't have it both ways - either you have have total segregation (ie get rid of all atypical teams) or you have an integrated system.

As this season has proved, the privates don't have an advantage over publics. But if we segregate as you suggest, you will never know who is the better team.. Maybe that's what you are after - sly slight of hand divisions so fans can bolster their chosen team without challenge.

Kudos... But in your scenario, you would never know if you were better or worse than the lauded Private league. Your suggestions is nothing more that segregation that society is working so hard to ban. You can't have it both ways - either you have have total segregation (ie get rid of all atypical teams) or you have an integrated system.

As this season has proved, the privates don't have an advantage over publics. But if we segregate as you suggest, you will never know who is the better team.. Maybe that's what you are after - sly sleight of hand divisions so fans can bolster their chosen team without challenge.
Slow down big guy, leave social justice to the politicians! We are talking about what’s fair is fair!

Slow down big guy, leave social justice to the politicians! We are talking about what’s fair is fair!
Yes, leave the social justice to the politicians - don't pretend that is what you are not advocating here. your opinion is exactly that philosophy. Let segregate instead of integrating. Instead, lets allow teams to compete at similar levels - not at levels constructed to give advantage to certain groups over other groups.

Cal14- Of course " Life is just different in the Gabilan". That's why they have different divisions in the PCAL. Yes- Carmel lost- but as a neutral observer of the game- Carmel was 3-4 plays away from flipping that score around. The divide in this case was very narrow. It's ok to acknowledge that Carmel has a very good small public school program. With that being said- if they are bumped up to the Gabilan next year- the task will be daunting.
When Carmel knocked off Alvarez - a Gabilan team-earlier this year- I don't remember any Carmel supporters proclaiming " Life is just different in the Mission".
Alvarez… you mean last-place Alvarez?

The comment was about the perceived athleticism of the Padres and how they may have been the fastest in the area. Against Mission competition (or Alvarez), that may have seemed to be the case.

However, that is nearly every week in the Gab. All of the playoff Gab teams had guys who were fast.

As for the game getting flipped… the final margin was 21 points. Yes, Soquel hit on a couple of big plays, but that is how you win ball games sometimes. I said before the contest that this was going to be the best defense they had seen all year by a wide margin and that played out to be true. The Knight win did not surprise me at all. The margin? Maybe a little, but not the result.

It’s the same thing when Devine ranks them #3 in the Monterey Bay. The reality is that they probably wouldn’t go much more than .500 in the Gab. It’s not really a knock on them, but their fans get bent out of shape when you state this. They get ranked on “one single” theoretical game, while Monterey, Palma, and Hollister get ranked based on the realities of playing in the Gab week in, week out.

Th

Soquel has 7 2nd half shutouts this season. Vs Salinas they gave up 7 2nd half points.

Carmel’s only real offense in the 2nd half was throwing some jump balls.

Bad year for this arguement...

The privates in the PCAL are nothing special. Palma is the only one with a history of winning and that has fallen off dramatically. Public schools with enrollments around a thousand to a few thousand should be able to compete with privates with 100-300 boys. MVC, St. Francis (Watsonville) and Stevenson don't win their B and C leagues. You can't hold a select number of privates to one standard and exclude the rest.

No school districts play by the same rules in Monterey County. Monterey school district is an open district. There is a very high % of Monterey's enrollment that lives in Seaside and Marina. Carmel and PG are closed districts. Housing is not affordable for most families in those districts. Salinas has boundaries, but they are open to interdistrict transfers if you have "reason". Even the privates in the PCAL don't play by the same rules with each other. Privates vary in cost from 15k-50K and financial aid availability varies school to school. Some offer boarding and some do not.

The only concern right now in CCS is Serra. Who ever gets the #8 seed is being sacrificed. If they continue to be a national power, CCS might have to continue to play with the Open/DI format.

Reactions: RLS13
Bad year for this arguement...

The privates in the PCAL are nothing special. Palma is the only one with a history of winning and that has fallen off dramatically. Public schools with enrollments around a thousand to a few thousand should be able to compete with privates with 100-300 boys. MVC, St. Francis (Watsonville) and Stevenson don't win their B and C leagues. You can't hold a select number of privates to one standard and exclude the rest.

No school districts play by the same rules in Monterey County. Monterey school district is an open district. There is a very high % of Monterey's enrollment that lives in Seaside and Marina. Carmel and PG are closed districts. Housing is not affordable for most families in those districts. Salinas has boundaries, but they are open to interdistrict transfers if you have "reason". Even the privates in the PCAL don't play by the same rules with each other. Privates vary in cost from 15k-50K and financial aid availability varies school to school. Some offer boarding and some do not.

The only concern right now in CCS is Serra. Who ever gets the #8 seed is being sacrificed. If they continue to be a national power, CCS might have to continue to play with the Open/DI format.
Serra will join the pack in 2024. A tsunami of gifted seniors graduates next spring. The Padres won't be bad, just somewhat normal in the WCAL picture. They should be in the upper WCAL tier mix but probably not favored for a title. A slew of strong sophs (12 current frosh are now on Serra's varsity roster) is set to play big roles for them next year. They will almost certainly not be a national power next season. Which opens the door for a number of units, both private/parochial and public, to make hay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT