ADVERTISEMENT

Juan Cuevas is the new HC at North Monterey County

I believe the fly offense around 1980 traveled from Southern California's low desert to North Monterey County, thanks to coach Phil Maas and his offensive coordinator Roger Sugimoto (Mark Speckman was an underclass coach at the time). Don't know what North County runs now.

He actually isn't from the North County Area. He was indeed the OC last season, but there is actually a much much deeper story here.

I was referring to the southern part of the CCS based on what the linked article said.

Curious what the story is

Here is a post I made on Norcalpreps in Feb 2015 regarding Fly Offense history related to where Lavorato, Kings Academy and former Sacred Heart Prep Coach got the offense.

Lavorato got his Fly offense from Palma's Coach Norm Costa who sent him the Palma playbook, and also from studying the offenses at North Monterey High, where Phil Maas and Roger Sugimoto installed it. He started running it in Canada when he coached prep football and of coursed honed it and changed it to his flavor.

Ernie Cooper (Graite Bay) got interested in the Fly offense when he coached at Aptos and saw North County and Palma run it. He then studied Mark Speckman's offense (considered the Guru of the Fly) at Willamette University (Speckman also coached North County- Castroville where it was first installed locally, and for a short time at Gilroy High and later Merced High where the offense had great success where Merced was ranked #1 in CA and 5th in the Nation). Lavorato's offense has a history of success in Northern CA prep football. As with all coach's they put their flavor to it.

Palma still runs the Fly set a little, but I've always thought they should have kept it as their base rush attack instead of the spread and single back formations and Stanford running game ( Palma's line coach was OL line coach under Harbaugh). I like how SHP runs their offense since they have the pass threat to go with the deception of the Fly. If they have the right personnel, it is a very tough offense to stop. Coach Costa got the offense from North County-Castroville which started running it in 1979 (after losing to the Larry Souza coached Condors and going 0-4-1 against them).

John Murphy, prep2prep, write a nice article on the inception of the offense and Speckman --
http://prep2prep.com/prepcat/?tag=fly-offense

Per Murphy's story and another the root of the Fly in northern CA came from Delano. Phil Maas and Roger Sugimoto installed the offense they saw from Delano High while coaches at Coachella Valley High and brought it to North County (where Speckman remained as an assistant after being interim head coach for North County's first year offering varsity football in 1978 . The pioneer of the offense was Gene Beck of Delano High and his staff (coach at Delano from 1953 through 1979 including the 1960-1979 years as head coach).
http://prep2prep.com/prepcat/?p=2543

As the story goes Dr. Robert Aguilar, who coached baseball and football at Delano High in the 1960's attended a football clinic that featured coach Darrell Royal, Texas University. Royal spoke of the man-in motion and Aguilar asked Royal for a copy of his playbook who gave him a copy. Aguilar and Nolan Shaffer (another DHS coach) went through it and adapted some things and Ed DeFraga gave input on blocking and other areas. They passed it along to Gene Beck who incorporated much of it into his later-famed fly offense referred to by locals as the "Musca" offense.

Funny story is that my RB coach as a freshman at Palma was Father Ron Shirley (which actually dressed out in full pads to teach hitting), and he was a long time assistant coach at Palma including when they implemented the Fly offense. When he moved parishes to Arroyo Grande, Father Shirley was instrumental in bringing the Fly to Arroyo Grande High School (Father Shirley also was an assistant at Aptos High who also ran the Fly - now a Wing T offense though under Blankenship). Arroyo Grande had quite a bit of success with the Fly. It seems Palma started to have move away from the Fly after the DeLaSalle series in which the DeLaSalle defense completely stifled, and Palma started to pass the ball more and change their sets.

Reactions: observer22
Father Ron Shirley was the offensive coordinator at Aptos when Trent Dilfer started at QB as a sophomore. He coached Trent on the fundamentals and counseled him about how to act off the field as well.Trent's stepdad, Frank Lynch, was formerly the Aptos head coach and he had been a fullback at Cal, so Trent was in good hands. Roger Sugimoto at North County knew the fly inside and out. I think Mark Speckman learned it under Sugimoto and Phil Maas when Mark was the freshman coach.

Father Ron Shirley was the offensive coordinator at Aptos when Trent Dilfer started at QB as a sophomore. He coached Trent on the fundamentals and counseled him about how to act off the field as well.Trent's stepdad, Frank Lynch, was formerly the Aptos head coach and he had been a fullback at Cal, so Trent was in good hands. Roger Sugimoto at North County knew the fly inside and out. I think Mark Speckman learned it under Sugimoto and Phil Maas when Mark was the freshman coach.
I run into and catch up with Father Ron at Palma games from time to time. Great man and definitely has a passion for coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT