ADVERTISEMENT

Jurrion Dickey Transferring out of the Bay Area

Public school offers a lot of remedial education free of charge to help get back on track. Given choices, I see Los Gotas as the best choice academically and for football
Probably, but he has announced he's at M-A now.

Reactions: FBAddict
MA will have a huge line and QB looks like he is pretty good to me. Nice pass and they seem to have other WRs. Addition of a player like this can be a big plus to what should be already a very good team.

Is he from EPA? EPA is zoned to MA now? They don’t distribute the kids around the district to Carlmont, Woodside, anymore?

I wonder when he will be eligible, prove to a home (neighborhood) public certainly has a case to play right away.

Is he from EPA? EPA is zoned to MA now? They don’t distribute the kids around the district to Carlmont, Woodside, anymore?

I wonder when he will be eligible, prove to a home (neighborhood) public certainly has a case to play right away.
The school board voted in 2013 to end that.

Former Valley Christian star Jurrion Dickey enrolls at Menlo-Atherton. But when will he be eligible? Souces say he may not be eligible to play until Sept. 28, when MA plays Half Moon Bay.

Okay, so now that Jurrion is at MA and some others have alluded to his credit deficiency, I will go ahead and say a bit more.

The kid would have had to sit out at Valley Christian had he not left as well. That is because his grades are not in a good place right now. By sitting out for what many will perceive as transfer rules most will be shielded from the reality that the kid is struggling in the classroom. Had he stayed at VC, people would have begun to ask question as to why he wasn’t on the field. By transferring, most will simply assume it’s due to the change of schools.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
As I said in earlier post there was waaaay more to the story than this kid suddenly moved to Santa Ana. I am bit surprised VC didn’t have him on track school wise, usually privates manage that and surprised Oregon offered him if grades that bad
And to guy who posted about “some public school in Silicon Valley”, clearly not familiar with Bay Area.. MA is arguably a NorCal top 15 team consistently and playing Burlingame, Los Gatos is not cake walk. MA is not just some school in Silicon Valley

Guess he transferred to a public school in Silicon Valley in Menlo Park. Anticlimatic and disappointing but as long as he qualifies academically for Oregon, it is a very good move.

Was personally hoping he would step up and face more elite competition.. but this school he transferred to has a fairly weak schedule. Playing teams like Los Gatos, the "Menlo School," and Burlingame. Sigh
Do some research… MA a solid program, deserves more respect as well as Los Gatos. They also playing Del Oro, Wilcox and Bellarmine.. solid NorCal schedule
Guess he transferred to a public school in Silicon Valley in Menlo Park. Anticlimatic and disappointing but as long as he qualifies academically for Oregon, it is a very good move.

Was personally hoping he would step up and face more elite competition.. but this school he transferred to has a fairly weak schedule. Playing teams like Los Gatos, the "Menlo School," and Burlingame. Sigh

Menlo-Atherton has had many D1 kids on its roster over the years, including Troy Franklin, a top 50 national recruit who is now at Oregon.

Do some research… MA a solid program, deserves more respect as well as Los Gatos. They also playing Del Oro, Wilcox and Bellarmine.. solid NorCal schedule
yeah but this isn't anything near or close to who he would have faced if he was at MD - Bishop Gorman, Cen10, Bosco, etc. Would of loved to see him up against players like Aaron Williams, Rodrick Pleasant, or Daylen Austin. The corners at the "Menlo School" don't sound like they match up talent wise. Maybe if you want a job in tech, menlo school would be the place to go to.

• Wow
Reactions: colhenrylives
Menlo-Atherton has had many D1 kids on its roster over the years, including Troy Franklin, a top 50 national recruit who is now at Oregon.

Does Oregon have high academic standards?

Seems like anyone can get into Oregon if they are taking kids that are academically ineligible to play in high school.

Whats the difference between this and the college admissions scandal?

Does Oregon have high academic standards?

Seems like anyone can get into Oregon if they are taking kids that are academically ineligible to play in high school.

Whats the difference between this and the college admissions scandal?
If kids are good enough, coaches can get them in. A top 100 player can go pretty much anywhere in the FBS, save for Stanford. The exception being if the player is NCAA D1 ineligible, which is a very low bar. A 2.3 with a 980 SAT is eligible.

yeah but this isn't anything near or close to who he would have faced if he was at MD - Bishop Gorman, Cen10, Bosco, etc. Would of loved to see him up against players like Aaron Williams, Rodrick Pleasant, or Daylen Austin. The corners at the "Menlo School" don't sound like they match up talent wise. Maybe if you want a job in tech, menlo school would be the place to go to.
What you are describing is HSFB Fan fantasies. Sure, its fun to watch the top HS stars compete but in reality you are suggesting a bucket of 2000-3000 top athletes should only consider playing for 10-15 high schools. There is plenty of time ahead in college for those opportunities - and historically, colleges or adult leagues were for that very purpose.

In truth, those 2000-3000 top athletes are parsed throughout 100s of high schools. And many will find their way to opportunities at the next level. You might remember the thread on this board of the loads of top FB stars originating at small schools, some even being from 8-man FB teams. Yet they made it to the top. That's the way it should be!

There is no question SJB, MD, BG, IMG and others are better than most other schools in FB. They are what I call extreme upper 1st tier teams. In the scope of HSFB, most teams in the NorCal and the Bay Area no better than upper 3rd tier teams. A few are 2nd tier fighting to get to 1st tier competition. Even DLS is struggling to keep out of 2nd tier right now.

But it wasn't that long ago that DLS pummeled many top tier SoCal teams. And it was not so long ago St. John Bosco traveled north to get destroyed by 2nd tier NorCal schools. Did SJB deserve disdain at that time? No, I don't think so. Nor do I think M-A, LG or the many other teams fighting to be the best they can right now deserve to be looked down upon as long as they are working hard to improve.

Let me summarize by saying I believe you are very right and also very wrong in your thinking.

What you are describing is HSFB Fan fantasies. Sure, its fun to watch the top HS stars compete but in reality you are suggesting a bucket of 2000-3000 top athletes should only consider playing for 10-15 high schools. There is plenty of time ahead in college for those opportunities - and historically, colleges or adult leagues were for that very purpose.

In truth, those 2000-3000 top athletes are parsed throughout 100s of high schools. And many will find their way to opportunities at the next level. You might remember the thread on this board of the loads of top FB stars originating at small schools, some even being from 8-man FB teams. Yet they made it to the top. That's the way it should be!

There is no question SJB, MD, BG, IMG and others are better than most other schools in FB. They are what I call extreme upper 1st tier teams. In the scope of HSFB, most teams in the NorCal and the Bay Area no better than upper 3rd tier teams. A few are 2nd tier fighting to get to 1st tier competition. Even DLS is struggling to keep out of 2nd tier right now.

But it wasn't that long ago that DLS pummeled many top tier SoCal teams. And it was not so long ago St. John Bosco traveled north to get destroyed by 2nd tier NorCal schools. Did SJB deserve disdain at that time? No, I don't think so. Nor do I think M-A, LG or the many other teams fighting to be the best they can right now deserve to be looked down upon as long as they are working hard to improve.

Let me summarize by saying I believe you are very right and also very wrong in your thinking.
FBAddict........
Thank you for demonstrating the difference between HS Student-athlete and hs athlete-student.

With that thinking best kids should only go to MD or Bosco… high school sports would lose all value. he will see top talent at Oregon… let him be a high schooler and yes if football don’t work out that corner at Menlo School may be his boss one day🤔

With that thinking best kids should only go to MD or Bosco… high school sports would lose all value. he will see top talent at Oregon… let him be a high schooler and yes if football don’t work out that corner at Menlo School may be his boss one day🤔
Then I guess we have very different mindsets down here in SoCal compared to you guys up in Silicon Valley and San Francisco.

The kids here want to be the best and are willing to move to different programs where they can showcase their talent to get more offers and prepare for the next level. It's the business of high school football down here. It starts early at the youth level with the travel teams like the IE Ducks or OC Buckeyes, to the prep academies for the gap year between junior high and high school, and then with the constant offseason training programs by Winner Circle Athletics, The Front by big Dave Uiagalelei and his bro Iona, and Stars to name a few of the dozen trainers here. This is also on top of the travel 7 on 7 teams and lineman camps here in SoCal.

You have to get with the times to stay on top. You generally won't get much from these little programs unless you have a trainer with a connection to coaches or you have the IT factor, which is rare at small programs like Burlingame or Saratoga. Just look at the list of NFL alums from IMG, St Frances Baltimore, and Bosco. You know that list will continue to grow as time goes on.

Last edited:
Then I guess we have very different mindsets down here in SoCal compared to you guys up in Silicon Valley and San Francisco.

The kids here want to be the best and are willing to move to different programs where they can showcase their talent to get more offers and prepare for the next level. It's the business of high school football down here. It starts early at the youth level with the travel teams like the IE Ducks or OC Buckeyes, to the prep academies for the gap year between junior high and high school, and then with the constant offseason training programs by Winner Circle Athletics, The Front by big Dave Uiagalelei and his bro Iona, and Stars to name a few of the dozen trainers here. This is also on top of the travel 7 on 7 teams and lineman camps here in SoCal.

You have to get with the times to stay on top. You generally won't get much from these little programs unless you have a trainer with a connection to coaches or you have the IT factor, which is rare at small programs like Burlingame or Saratoga. Just look at the list of NFL alums from IMG, St Frances Baltimore, and Bosco. You know that list will continue to grow as time goes on.
The NFL argument is not a good one. I looked at the NFL alums from SJB and MD. Unimpressive. It looks like the best NFL player from MD is Matt Leinart? Yikes. SJB’s list looks more impressive for baseball than the NFL.

A single Bay Area school produced Tom Brady (GOAT), Lynn Swann (HOF), and David Bakhtiari (currently in a $100M contract).

It's the business of high school football down here. It starts
Hmm, you are seriously cherry picking - SoCal has nearly 600 high schools. And according to early Calpreps ratings, the 4 lowest ranked high schools in Cali are in SoCal. In the Southern Section alone, there over 300 high schools rated lower than Menlo-Atherton right now.

So where is this SoCal business of high school football? Maybe you should make your words clearer - its ONE league - Trinity, that approaches the high school football factory system you allude to.

FBAddict........
Thank you for demonstrating the difference between HS Student-athlete and hs athlete-student.

Oregon beat FBAddict to it if they are actually offering athletic scholarships to high school students who are academically ineligible.

Most high school football players already think they just have to run fast and not worry about academics, if true Oregon is proving them right.

Hmm, you are seriously cherry picking - SoCal has nearly 600 high schools. And according to early Calpreps ratings, the 4 lowest ranked high schools in Cali are in SoCal. In the Southern Section alone, there over 300 high schools rated lower than Menlo-Atherton right now.

So where is this SoCal business of high school football? Maybe you should make your words clearer - its ONE league - Trinity, that approaches the high school football factory system you allude to.
The Southern Section by itself has 550 schools. That's more than all of NorCal sections combined. The Southern Section, for all intents and purposes, is a state within a state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT