ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln 30, Whitney 0

Nice win for Lincoln,I guess.Lincoln comes from 3-4 scores dn to beat Antelope then drops a 30-0 on Whitney at home,how do we sum up Antelope,Lincoln and an SFL bound Whitney who has now lost to both Placer and Lincoln (two teams I believe that will battle for the FVL title)?

Antelope is solid n physical. Sounds like they ran out of gas vs Lincoln. Those teams that throw the ball the games seem to go on for ever. We have a coach whos son plays for Lincoln, said the game was almost 4 hrs long, ended at almost 11pm.

Whitney had many choices when it came time to replace Doherty. The school had no choice as far as firing him, they didn't do it because they wanted to. The choice they did have was who to hire after the firing, and they had many excellent experienced coaches interview for that job (not fair to name them off because most are active) and they went with a young guy who happened to play at DLS (which doesn't automatically make you qualified, it just means you were a good HS player.) As they say choices have consequences.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Whitney had many choices when it came time to replace Doherty. The school had no choice as far as firing him, they didn't do it because they wanted to. The choice they did have was who to hire after the firing, and they had many excellent experienced coaches interview for that job (not fair to name them off because most are active) and they went with a young guy who happened to play at DLS (which doesn't automatically make you qualified, it just means you were a good HS player.) As they say choices have consequences.
Coaching not the real issue. Lots of factors go into winning. Doherty was an average 6-5 for his two years with better talent and Whitney is athletically down. Zack Graves had a lot to do with Gimenez's 13-0 third season, but not his last 1-9 season. GB under Evans was 4-7 in 2016, yet went 12-3 the following year because of a senior loaded team. Folsom always has big talent and tons of community support, much less than Whitney, but talent wise NOBODY matches them. What happened to NU? No longer very talented and became doormats and are now out of the SFL. Antelope is 1-3, having beat Rocklin, yet can't get by Lincoln, maybe that was coaching? Basically, a lot of factors go into winning, but until they get some talent to turn it around, Whitney is the new Woodcreek.

..... or from a purely selfish point of view, nothing worse than having one of your Pic'ems to win come up with a big goose egg, a zero next to the loss. A pick so bad that the Coroner's Offfice sends some one to investigate the foul smell......

Last edited:
Reactions: Kickingtee18
Nice win for Lincoln,I guess.Lincoln comes from 3-4 scores dn to beat Antelope then drops a 30-0 on Whitney at home,how do we sum up Antelope,Lincoln and an SFL bound Whitney who has now lost to both Placer and Lincoln (two teams I believe that will battle for the FVL title)?

I think Lincoln is a lot better than they are getting credit for. That QB is pretty good. Do they have the horses to beat Placer? Probably not. I don't think they will be able to match the points Placer will put up. But they did shut out Whitney, which is something Placer was unable to do. I think they finish 2nd in the new Foothill Valley league and make noise in the playoffs.

Antelope will battle River Valley to finish 2nd behind Inderkum in what many consider to be the 2nd toughest league in the Sac area. They own a win over a mid tier SFL team in Rocklin and have 2 losses by a touchdown in games they could've/should've won against quality opponents.I don't see anyone else in that league competing with them. And I know Woodcreek is 4-0 and have blown everyone out, but the competition is well below anyone that plays in the CVC with the exception of BV. They are god awful!

Whitney has a new coach, which can take some getting used to and played two tough teams in Placer and Central. The Lincoln game may have been a little overlooked as the SFL games were on the horizon. Unfortunately I don't see them winning a game in the SFL, but should be somewhat competitive against Grant, GB and Rocklin. Definitely a learning year for them and they will take their lumps.

Reactions: championcif75
Coaching not the real issue. Lots of factors go into winning. Doherty was an average 6-5 for his two years with better talent and Whitney is athletically down. Zack Graves had a lot to do with Gimenez's 13-0 third season, but not his last 1-9 season. GB under Evans was 4-7 in 2016, yet went 12-3 the following year because of a senior loaded team. Folsom always has big talent and tons of community support, much less than Whitney, but talent wise NOBODY matches them. What happened to NU? No longer very talented and became doormats and are now out of the SFL. Antelope is 1-3, having beat Rocklin, yet can't get by Lincoln, maybe that was coaching? Basically, a lot of factors go into winning, but until they get some talent to turn it around, Whitney is the new Woodcreek.

That sounds right except the Lincoln score doesn't have much to do with the talent gap you refer to. Most people could accept "don't have the talent to win SFL games, along with Central and Liberty." But to say that Lincoln is talent wise better than Whitney just not true in any way.

How are Whitney's JVs? Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Reactions: Kickingtee18
How are Whitney's JVs? Is there light at the end of the tunnel?
JV talent pool at Whitney will help, better group, but gonna take some time.

I know Woodcreek is 4-0 and have blown everyone out, but the competition is well below anyone that plays in the CVC with the exception of BV. They are god awful!.
DO has done some thing, blowouts against terrible teams, difference is DO is loaded with talent so hard to tell how they'll do in SFL. The Woodcreek illustrates the talent issue, they could never win in the SFL and now have a record they can smile about AND will matchup with the remaining schedule except Inderkum. Maybe Whitney should be in the CVC, too.

Did everyone forget that Lincoln just about beat Del Oro last year and probably should have in the 1st round of the playoffs?

Reactions: John Mellencamp
Whitney is going to be a doormat for years to come. Their junior program was not able to field all the levels and have low numbers down below. The program as a whole got swept by Lincoln at all levels. Unless this sub par- DLS guy gets the lower level going he will accumulate the most losses in school history.

Did everyone forget that Lincoln just about beat Del Oro last year and probably should have in the 1st round of the playoffs?

Yes. Lincoln has a very strong football program. They have a really good QB, WR, and senior running back returning. Plus a junior running back and a junior linebacker, both who started last year as sophomores and were impact players. They were 8-3 last year and like EN_FB_Alum said, almost bumped off Del Oro in the first round of the play offs. The Lincoln jr program has been super strong for years.

That's not to say that Whitney isn't going to struggle in the SFL. They could. But to say it's because they lost to Lincoln (or Placer), is not a great analysis. Lincoln is a good team.

I'm interested to see how the Lincoln/Center game goes this week. Because Center is also a strong, but underrated by most, team.

Last edited:
Reactions: championcif75
Reading these posts, this coach is in his 1st year and is probably having to change a culture at Whitney. Doherty had little success at Whitney in his years there and most of their wins came against inferior opponents like Bella Vista, Oakmont, Roseville, Davis, and Ponderosa. So not only are they changing a culture but now they are in the best league in probably all of NorCal. It will probably take some time but every coach has to implement there culture and ideas into the kids they are coaching. Doherty never won a playoff game at Whitney and left the program in a pretty bad state. I wont pass judgement on the new staff until a few years down the road.

I heard a very high profile coach who won a recent state championship interviewed for the job.

JV talent pool at Whitney will help, better group, but gonna take some time.

DO has done some thing, blowouts against terrible teams, difference is DO is loaded with talent so hard to tell how they'll do in SFL. The Woodcreek illustrates the talent issue, they could never win in the SFL and now have a record they can smile about AND will matchup with the remaining schedule except Inderkum. Maybe Whitney should be in the CVC, too.

Poses an interesting question, who would be moved into the SFL if it’s too much for Whitney? Lincoln?

Yes Graves was one of the best high school back I personally watched play. But the Rodriguez kid at QB was also a darn good player. My nephew played on the team that faced Whitney in section championship.. My nephew played bandit and had to tackle those kids over and over. My nephew is a Marine now and a tough guy. He came out of that game bruised and battered. I did not follow where those two kids went after high school. But they were really good high school players.

Just a guess but is he the coach of a small school power in the north section?
Hear that was a rumor only. It takes talent on field to succeed. Lincoln this year is a better SFL candidate, next year or year after who knows. Whitney just hasn't produced much lately.
Yes Graves was one of the best high school back I personally watched play. But the Rodriguez kid at QB was also a darn good player. My nephew played on the team that faced Whitney in section championship.. My nephew played bandit and had to tackle those kids over and over. My nephew is a Marine now and a tough guy. He came out of that game bruised and battered. I did not follow where those two kids went after high school. But they were really good high school players.
Zack went to sierra college where he did very well after having knee surgery his first season. He transferred to univ. of mary and played through 2016. What a great HS running back, he was so tough to stop! Jake played at oregon and transferred to san diego state where he played until 2016 when he left the team, another great athlete that helped Whitney big time.

The OD squad that went to state only loss frosh year was to Whitney...36-22 and never a close game....While WHS didn't stay together, the OD team grew and moved on...

Looks like Whitney got welcomed to the SFL. It will take them sometime to adjust to SFL....Frosh and JV were swept 35-0.....Varsity game was better but never in it....31-21. Hate to see them become the Creek of the league.

Looks like Whitney got welcomed to the SFL. It will take them sometime to adjust to SFL....Frosh and JV were swept 35-0.....Varsity game was better but never in it....31-21. Hate to see them become the Creek of the league.

Whitney was definitely in that game never winning but rocklin didn’t break away til the end. It was anybody’s game til mid 4th both teams looked evenly matched if rocklin qb becomes more accurate on his deep passes they will put up more tds.

Whitney was definitely in that game never winning but rocklin didn’t break away til the end. It was anybody’s game til mid 4th both teams looked evenly matched if rocklin qb becomes more accurate on his deep passes they will put up more tds.
Disagree....RHS had a zillon offensive penalties.....if those don't happen WHS loses by a bunch.....

From what I heard Whitney and Rocklin had a ton of penalties. It was 14-14 or 21-14 in the 4th. Close game.

Whitney is the SFL's new Woodcreek until further notice.

Ridiculously premature statement.

Woodcreek spent 22 of their 24 season existence in the SFL, never had a winning season overall and only finished over .500 in league 3x (2005, 2008, 2009).

Whitney's been in the league for all of 1 game of their very first season. Grant Union is gonna get taken to the woodshed during their 1st season in the SFL in 77 years too. And neither remotely deserves to be lumped in with Woodcreek. That's just plain silly.

Not so oddly enough, I think Woodcreek assured themselves of their 1st winning season last night. They're 5-0 now and should easily go 6-0 next week against Bella Vista. Then they could very well lose their next 4 against Inderkum, Antelope, River Valley and Yuba City to finish 6-4. If they manage to win one of those (or more) and make the post season they'll still finish over .500.

Just how glad is Woodcreek to be out of the SFL???

Last edited:
Reactions: s2h17
Disagree....RHS had a zillon offensive penalties.....if those don't happen WHS loses by a bunch.....
That’s part of the game it was a close game the whole game

Beyond the TV highlights last night, I haven't yet seen a single play of this game. And @Deltadodger you are correct that all plays and mistakes count. But I believe the point @WWHS44 was trying to make is that w/o self inflicted mistakes Rocklin appeared to be a much better team. If memory serves, he's also a Whitney fan and his handle is an acronym of the school, so if that's his analysis I'd lean toward believing it.

Neither team appears to be top 3 in the SFL though.

Based upon last night's results, I think the pecking order goes something like this:

Folsom
--------------
Del Oro
Oak Ridge
--------------
Granite Bay
--------------
Grant Union
Rocklin
Whitney

Woodcreek returned 17 starters this yr. Im not so sure they would have been a cellar team with this group and the current SFL. Not saying they would beat Folsom, just saying they are much improved and have confidebce from playing in the SFL.
Woodcrrek had high coaching turnover for a gap of about 8-10 years, they beat D.O. twice and had sone good teams with talent too

Woodcreek returned 17 starters this yr. Im not so sure they would have been a cellar team with this group and the current SFL. Not saying they would beat Folsom, just saying they are much improved and have confidebce from playing in the SFL.
Woodcrrek had high coaching turnover for a gap of about 8-10 years, they beat D.O. twice and had sone good teams with talent too

I don't think they'd be in the cellar either. But I'm not so sure they'd end up with a winning season, as they appear destined to finally do this season. History says they wouldn't have managed it, especially against a 6 game league schedule.

I don't think they'd have a shot against Folsom, Del Oro or Oak Ridge. Beating GB seems highly questionable (1-18 all-time). So if they went 4-0 in non-league they'd have to beat Rocklin & Grant to get to 6-4. And I'm not convinced they'd beat either Rocklin or Grant Union let alone both.

Again, they're fortunate to be out of the SFL despite fielding one of their better, more experienced teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: mistark
Thunder,
We played BV @ Casa last night. New field is really nice. I always have fond memories going back to Casa. I was a lil guy when my father was the OC for Kenyon. I had great memories of Matt Irwin(rip) Shilo Smith, Brad Rhines, Dax Groves, Jason ford and many others. Matt Irwin was my favorite player when I was younger, I looked up 2 those guys and they where a very good team.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Thunder,
We played BV @ Casa last night. New field is really nice. I always have fond memories going back to Casa. I was a lil guy when my father was the OC for Kenyon. I had great memories of Matt Irwin(rip) Shilo Smith, Brad Rhines, Dax Groves, Jason ford and many others. Matt Irwin was my favorite player when I was younger, I looked up 2 those guys and they where a very good team.

Haha. I knew all those guys. Played with Ford for 2 seasons (we were the same class; he transferred in from Oregon for his JR season). The other kids you listed were SOPH's when I was a Senior and I coached on the JV staff the season after I graduated so I didn't work with them directly. Casa's 1990 team was pretty damn good with that Shilo to Rhines connection. They lost to a pretty darn good Elk Grove team with James Kidd in the postseason. I still remember the trick play they ran to get Rhines a long TD pass on the first or second series. I didn't know Irwin real well, but I did know him back then and heard through the grapevine later on about the terrible news.

Funny you mention the field. I saw the highlights of your game on the FOX40 Final Q and they made no mention of the game being at Casa. But the field does look great. I drove by during the Summer and got a sneak peak. It looked like a new scoreboard too?? Anyway, the new track and new field are tremendous improvements (I hear BV is getting a new field too?) --- now if they can only do something about the visiting stands ;) I thought I heard something about a permanent restroom coming too but I'm not sure.

You played QB at EC, didn't you Miles? When your dad was OC under Mike Gardner? I remember seeing you play a couple times, I believe once against Grant Union in 98 or 99. I can't recall the other game. I really, really can't believe that was 20 years ago now!

Lastly, can you do me a favor and ask Terry if he was "officially" the Co-HC at Johnson with Dimino? Just wondering if those 9 W's count on his official head coaching record or not. I've read conflicting info on whether it was an official position. Thanks my friend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT