ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln 30, Whitney 0

He was Co-HC at HJ. And he gave Dimino the same title at Natomas in Dimino's only year there before he went Del Campo.

Yes I played at EC and HJ. Tore up my knee and missed most of my Senior yr.

Reactions: ThunderRam
That 98 Grant game was awesome. Grant beat the doors of EC in 97 by 70+points. We both sat in the stands that Saturday, I knew he was leaving ML so he could finish up his Credential, I didnt know he was going to EC though. That 97 EC team was bad but in 98 we almost beat that great Grant team, I think we had something lime 600 yards on offense and lost 50-45 or something like that.

He was Co-HC at HJ. And he gave Dimino the same title at Natomas in Dimino's only year there before he went Del Campo.

Yes I played at EC and HJ. Tore up my knee and missed most of my Senior yr.

Thanks for the confirmation :) I did know about Dimino at Natomas, so I should have connected the dots. Funny, but Mike took over for Steve Kenyon at DC who was at Casa when Terry was OC there. AHHH-- the crazy world of coaching connections....

That 98 Grant game was awesome. Grant beat the doors of EC in 97 by 70+points. We both sat in the stands that Saturday, I knew he was leaving ML so he could finish up his Credential, I didnt know he was going to EC though. That 97 EC team was bad but in 98 we almost beat that great Grant team, I think we had something lime 600 yards on offense and lost 50-45 or something like that.

See, all these seasons start to blend together after a while. You got me questioning the years so I had to look it up.

The 81-8 game was Fall of 1996 --- the Chad Elliott, Donte Stallworth (Jr) and Onterrio Smith (Soph) section title team.
The close game you're talking about was Fall of 1997. Grant Union won it 48-38.
The Fall 1998 season was Onterrio's record breaking senior season. They hammered EC that season 56-20.

GHS only losses in 97/98 were to Lance Briggs/EG. The 97 game was a classic that GHS could have and maybe should have won.

Great years for HS football around these parts.

That 98 game was close. 1 score game in the 4th. We knocked Onterrio out (more like he got tired) We scored to go ahead, it go called back n the flood gates opened in the final 8 mins or so.

Ridiculously premature statement.

Woodcreek spent 22 of their 24 season existence in the SFL, never had a winning season overall and only finished over .500 in league 3x (2005, 2008, 2009).

Whitney's been in the league for all of 1 game of their very first season. Grant Union is gonna get taken to the woodshed during their 1st season in the SFL in 77 years too. And neither remotely deserves to be lumped in with Woodcreek. That's just plain silly.

Not so oddly enough, I think Woodcreek assured themselves of their 1st winning season last night. They're 5-0 now and should easily go 6-0 next week against Bella Vista. Then they could very well lose their next 4 against Inderkum, Antelope, River Valley and Yuba City to finish 6-4. If they manage to win one of those (or more) and make the post season they'll still finish over .500.

Just how glad is Woodcreek to be out of the SFL???

From what I’ve seen so far no team but folsom in the sfl have the athletes to take grant to the woodshed. The sfl isn’t what it was suppose to be this year. Even grants down years the teams in the sfl couldn’t take em to the woodshed and if you wanna see self inflicted wounds go watch grant vs central or capital. Grant beats themselves with bonehead penalty’s, drops and fumbled but those are part of the game. And at no point in the Whitney vs rocklin game did Whitney like over matched with rocklin. Packed house great atmosphere with two programs with kids that probably grew up with each other. But I think the game was like a touchdown difference til late 4th

From what I’ve seen so far no team but folsom in the sfl have the athletes to take grant to the woodshed. The sfl isn’t what it was suppose to be this year. Even grants down years the teams in the sfl couldn’t take em to the woodshed and if you wanna see self inflicted wounds go watch grant vs central or capital. Grant beats themselves with bonehead penalty’s, drops and fumbled but those are part of the game.

Oh, I get it. Don't get me wrong. You know I'm a big GHS supporter. I was just re-enforcing the point that even with all the Pacers history, they may endure a down year in the SFL too and that doesn't suddenly put them in Woodcreek category. Whitney doesn't have the Pacers history of course, but one or even a couple poor seasons doesn't earn them what Woodcreek earned in 22 seasons.

I hope your right about GHS this season. I'd love to see them recover from what's been a disappointing season this far.

Looks like Whitney got welcomed to the SFL. It will take them sometime to adjust to SFL....Frosh and JV were swept 35-0.....Varsity game was better but never in it....31-21. Hate to see them become the Creek of the league.
They are the new Creek until they prove they can stand up to the SFL schedule. Hopefully that is the case, would make for a better league.
Ridiculously premature statement
Ridiculous? Whitney has barely been .500 8 of the last 13 years playing teams that are supposedly inferior to the entire SFL. If they had been in the SFL, they would have been UNDER .500 every year just like Woodcreek. It's like Utah State joining the Pac 12. You can wish and hope all you want then reality sets in.

Oh, I get it. Don't get me wrong. You know I'm a big GHS supporter. I was just re-enforcing the point that even with all the Pacers history, they may endure a down year in the SFL too and that doesn't suddenly put them in Woodcreek category. Whitney doesn't have the Pacers history of course, but one or even a couple poor seasons doesn't earn them what Woodcreek earned in 22 seasons.

I hope your right about GHS this season. I'd love to see them recover from what's been a disappointing season this far.

When you watch them this year you’ll see why they aren’t winning like they use to. Minus the offensive line play they are smaller upfront but this is like the first time in years that that’s a problem. A better coached grant or more so a better disciplined team they could be 4-0. For god sake 1 play vs capital the qb took a 30 yard sack he takes unnecessary sacks that kills drives. Grant will put out the 2nd best roster in the sfl this year but you wouldn’t know it by the box scores and that’s what’s frustrating as a fan. We will take our hits this year in the sfl due mostly because our interior line isn’t what we are accustomed to having.

Whitney has barely been .500 8 of the last 13 years playing teams that are supposedly inferior to the entire SFL.

In what world is 84-57 (.596) considered barely over .500? And that includes a terrible 1-9 in 2007 and 0-4 this season.
They finished over .500 in 9 of their 12 seasons coming into 2018.

71-70 or even 74-67 would be considered barely over .500. But 27 games over .500 doesn't qualify as such.

You're stretching the truth.

Ridiculous?

Absolutely, considering that the statement is being made 1 game into their 1st ever season in the league.

I just don't believe in handing something to somebody that they haven't yet earned. Woodcreek earned their perception over 22 seasons. Whitney has a long way to go before they prove to be in over their heads in this league -- let alone at Woodcreek's level.

If they had been in the SFL, they would have been UNDER .500 every year just like Woodcreek.

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

You're just speculating. Maybe they would have, maybe they wouldn't have. They did have a couple pretty good teams that won section titles, so who knows how those teams would have performed in an SFL that wasn't near as deep as it is now.

While I tend to agree with you that they still would have been a cellar dweller most of their years, it's simply not fair to guess and state it as fact. I'm no Whitney fan, but I'm prepared to let them create their own legacy -- good or bad. In other words, let it play out first.

It's like Utah State joining the Pac 12.

This is a bad comparison. Utah State is at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting against other PAC-12 schools. Therefore they can't build the same kinds of teams.

But in the world of HS sports where schools can't recruit and Whitney can draw kids from the same areas as Rocklin, Woodcreek, Lincoln, Del Oro, Roseville and Granite Bay -- they have just as good a shot as anyone.

What actually set Whitney back recently was the coaching drama that lost them Paul Doherty. If he was still at the helm, they'd likely be competing much better than they are.

Last edited:
Triggered!! You have plenty of posts that are pure speculation! Obvious you love your Whitney Wildcats, your reply took a lot of effort!

PS: .596 is considered barely over .500 by factor of 0.096 LOL!

It looked like a new scoreboard too??
(I hear BV is getting a new field too?) ---
now if they can only do something about the visiting stands ;)
I thought I heard something about a permanent restroom coming too but I'm not sure.
IF I could figure out the DM feature here, I would answer these questions directly...but no luck.
So in answer to the questions above...
Yes - new scoreboard is in and running
Yes - BV's track is being replaced, with new synthetic field and concession/restroom/ticket booth
Nope - no bleacher changes
Yes - Same bldg to be used at Casa as BV

WHS is going to struggle it appears. I know they were swept at the 3 high school levels but I am now told the 5 junior teams also all lost....Doesnt look strong that WHS lost 8 games to middle of the road RHS. Big loss with the retirement of Coach G.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
What actually set Whitney back recently was the coaching drama that lost them Paul Doherty. If he was still at the helm, they'd likely be competing much better than they are.

What set Whitney back was hiring Paul Doherty in the first place. I know a few people in the loop at Whitney and I have heard nothing but negative things about the man and his staff. There is a reason they were fired.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
What set Whitney back was hiring Paul Doherty in the first place. I know a few people in the loop at Whitney and I have heard nothing but negative things about the man and his staff. There is a reason they were fired.

I've sort of heard the same....maybe too much brushing up against the line.

You may very well be right. I do recall all the drama over his departure.

I thought I read something about him joining Folsom's staff this season? Hopefully he'll learn how to do things within the rules while he's there. He's actually a good coach and didn't need to stretch the rules to get the results he was getting.

Reactions: WWHS44
Thanks for the response. But I'm not sure what you mean in the last point. What same building?

The intent is to replicate the same concession / restroom building (design, layout, footprint) at several sites throughout the district, including Casa, BV, Rio, Encina & Mira Loma.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT