ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Baker decides not to sign with Santa Clara baseball this month

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
His football future has been talked about on here during the season. Looks like it could now continue in college too

His football future has been talked about on here during the season. Looks like it could now continue in college too
Let's hope he has a better game vs De La Salle than he did against Campolindo. The Campo defensive coaching staff had a great game plan for Baker and nearly pulled off the upset. I'm wondering if his height may be an issue; he is listed as 5'-11", and that may be stretching it. He has the arm strength and mobility to play at the next level, for sure.

Bummed. Would have liked him to join my alma mater. Kind of reminds me of like Brandon Crawford who played his senior year at QB at Foothill high. He isn't ranked as high as Crawford was but is college player with potential to be drafted and shot at MLB. Good luck to him.

Last edited:
This is likely Baseball related…. He had a really good summer last year on the showcase circuit and there is more interest now then when he originally committed…..

Similar to Hank Tripaldi from DLS…. He was Committed to ST Mary’s then Dominated at the Big Summer Showcase in San Diego and is now committed to SDSU…..

Reactions: observer22
Sadly the eye test matters more today than what you actually do on the field. I would much rather be 6”4 with potential than a 5”11 stud who puts up big numbers each week. You guys remember patu from Folsom now at Stanford? He probably didn’t have 12 varsity starts at QB and didn’t do much when he played but Stanford like the arm and size. Guess what.. he will never sniff at Stanford. Lamson came in and bumped him either further down chain.

Kid should play baseball. Be a bronco and get a good Jesuit education. The metrics game is just too big now.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Sadly the eye test matters more today than what you actually do on the field. I would much rather be 6”4 with potential than a 5”11 stud who puts up big numbers each week. You guys remember patu from Folsom now at Stanford? He probably didn’t have 12 varsity starts at QB and didn’t do much when he played but Stanford like the arm and size. Guess what.. he will never sniff at Stanford. Lamson came in and bumped him either further down chain.

Kid should play baseball. Be a bronco and get a good Jesuit education. The metrics game is just too big now.
Patu Couldn’t even beat out the kid in front of him when he was a JR at Folsom…. That told everyone all they needed to know about Patu, he was never going to start at Stanford…..

A great example of the Poor recruiting at the end of Shaws tenure at Stanford that led to his eventual resignation….

Depends. Was he legacy with family there before? You can't discount an education at Stanford even if you don't start. It's tough to get top talent at Stanford. I know a few that played there. One in the NFL stating at Atlanta and graduated with a Masters in Engineering after red shirting a year. The other earned a scholarship after walking on and didn't start and now at least has the education. Both legacy students and players. Any coach there for football has a tough job with their minimum academic requirements to get in.

Reactions: THEOC89
Depends. Was he legacy with family there before? You can't discount an education at Stanford even if you don't start. It's tough to get top talent at Stanford. I know a few that played there. One in the NFL stating at Atlanta and graduated with a Masters in Engineering after red shirting a year. The other earned a scholarship after walking on and didn't start and now at least has the education. Both legacy students and players. Any coach there for football has a tough job with their minimum academic requirements to get in.
Very True…. I don’t know if he was a legacy or not, but I just see it as an example of where Shaw lacked on recruiting….

The one area Shaw struggled the most was at QB…. After Luck, he could never get a consistently good QB in there…. I liked Hogan, he was good but he wasn’t a game changer…..

The best one he got was McKee but by the time he was back from his mission the rest of the team had fallen off….

I like Shaw a lot and I think he is a really good coach…. It just ran its course at Stanford with him, and to me the recruiting of Patu is a glaring example of this…. But to your point, maybe he just didn’t have many other options…..

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Very True…. I don’t know if he was a legacy or not, but I just see it as an example of where Shaw lacked on recruiting….

The one area Shaw struggled the most was at QB…. After Luck, he could never get a consistently good QB in there…. I liked Hogan, he was good but he wasn’t a game changer…..

The best one he got was McKee but by the time he was back from his mission the rest of the team had fallen off….

I like Shaw a lot and I think he is a really good coach…. It just ran its course at Stanford with him, and to me the recruiting of Patu is a glaring example of this…. But to your point, maybe he just didn’t have many other options…..
No he wasn’t a legacy. His dad was a stud at Oregon.
Regardless, he had no biz being recruited as a PAc12 QB. He couldn’t start at sac state or ucd.

The kid from San Marin is an absolute stud and has no offers. He’s 6”4 190 and they are good. Makes no sense to me.

No he wasn’t a legacy. His dad was a stud at Oregon.
Regardless, he had no biz being recruited as a PAc12 QB. He couldn’t start at sac state or ucd.

The kid from San Marin is an absolute stud and has no offers. He’s 6”4 190 and they are good. Makes no sense to me.
If his Dad was a Legacy at Oregon and they didn’t even recruit him then that tells you all you need to know about Patu….

By the way, I was up on Oregon for the Ducks vs USC game last weekend and if I was a D1 recruit and wanted to play on the West coast, I would go to Oregon hands down!!!…. I was lucky enough to get a private tour of the Athletic facilities and That place is awesome!!!!…. What an environment!!!!…..

And I am a USC fan!!!!…. 🤣🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT