MA Coching Search

Footballgrind

Rookie
Mar 26, 2019
Heard that it is down to:
Marin Catholic head coach: Mazi Moayed
CSM defensive coordinator: Omari Green
Independence head coach: Steve Papin

Their both great jobs. But i think MA is one of the most talented teams in the Bay Area. Last year you had two Washington commits and now you have the best Junior in the country.

I know MA has some serious talent, but it seems like Moayed has a pretty good situation up at MC.

Especially since Coach Mo is from Novato and such a staple in Marin that be a big move for him, but yeah the top tier talent u get at MA can allow him to play with upper echelon in Nor Cal

Especially since Coach Mo is from Novato and such a staple in Marin that be a big move for him, but yeah the top tier talent u get at MA can allow him to play with upper echelon in Nor Cal

Am i too high on them because i think they can be a top 10-15 team in the state of CA.

Am i too high on them because i think they can be a top 10-15 team in the state of CA.

Personally I think probably not, but long term if they keep the poly pipeline going thru there year in and year out with the right coach it’s possible to be top 25

That would be a big geographic move for Mazi. I don't think it makes sense, but that's my perspective which could mean nothing.

MA is an interesting job because it is a talented roster this year and could be for the coming years, but it is tough to go somewhere where expectations are already high

No one has mentioned the obvious: Money. M-A, part of the Sequoia Union High School District, pays its full-time teachers very generously. And that includes a hefty benefit package. The district has one of the highest pay scales in NorCal.

Is MA a better coaching gig than Marin Catholic?

It's all about what you make it honestly and that's why Adhir was able to turn them into a machine. Menlo-Atherton has about as much money as anyone in the WCAL but is also right next door to what once was the ghettoest neighborhood in the world (East Palo Alto). Those kids used to go to Palo Alto or Sequoia but were recently invited to attend Menlo-Atherton.

There is no such thing as a bad kid but there are tons of kids who come from bad or simply rough situations. If the sports don't get them, the streets will and Adhir understood that like no other. He invested tons of time into study hall and the weight room and not only kept the boys busy with football but also with school. I'm sure he weeded out tons of good players at the beginning who simply did not want to get with the program.
The same kids who are at MA have been at MA. Adhir just know how to get them right.

That said, it doesn't matter where the next head coach is from. If he doesn't understand the above, MA will be 3-7 again in no time.

Plus, you know who does understand this? Nelson Gifford. My brother played at Laney when Gifford was a RB / SC Coach. So those kids will go right back to Palo Alto if MA doesn't hire a guy who is willing to invest in the kid as much as he is willing to invest in the X's and O's.

It's all about what you make it honestly and that's why Adhir was able to turn them into a machine. Menlo-Atherton has about as much money as anyone in the WCAL but is also right next door to what once was the ghettoest neighborhood in the world (East Palo Alto). Those kids used to go to Palo Alto or Sequoia but were recently invited to attend Menlo-Atherton.

There is no such thing as a bad kid but there are tons of kids who come from bad or simply rough situations. If the sports don't get them, the streets will and Adhir understood that like no other. He invested tons of time into study hall and the weight room and not only kept the boys busy with football but also with school. I'm sure he weeded out tons of good players at the beginning who simply did not want to get with the program.
The same kids who are at MA have been at MA. Adhir just know how to get them right.

That said, it doesn't matter where the next head coach is from. If he doesn't understand the above, MA will be 3-7 again in no time.

Plus, you know who does understand this? Nelson Gifford. My brother played at Laney when Gifford was a RB / SC Coach. So those kids will go right back to Palo Alto if MA doesn't hire a guy who is willing to invest in the kid as much as he is willing to invest in the X's and O's.
Actually you are wrong. The kids that used to go to Carlmont and Woodside are all together at MA now. Before there were restrictions for EPA kids on which schools they had to attend but now MA gets them all which is perfect because its alot closer for these kids. Just imagine if they did this in the 90's up till now? There was top tier talent better than what you see now that would have made MA a powerhouse program in football as well as basketball. Its nice to see even though alot is gone because of gentrification in the area, but there is some talent left.

Actually you are wrong. The kids that used to go to Carlmont and Woodside are all together at MA now. Before there were restrictions for EPA kids on which schools they had to attend but now MA gets them all which is perfect because its alot closer for these kids. Just imagine if they did this in the 90's up till now? There was top tier talent better than what you see now that would have made MA a powerhouse program in football as well as basketball. Its nice to see even though alot is gone because of gentrification in the area, but there is some talent left.

Woodside had a fair amount of them but I played both football and baseball in the PAL in the early 2000s and don't remember Carlmont having any EPA kids. It was Sequoia where you'd hear people throwing the word "rouge" around like ones at Centerfolds.

As far as Paly goes, where is Davonte Adams from? How about that big ass Tongan fullback that lead them to the first SBG back in when the game was first played? Where is Keesean Johnson (Fresno State) from? Paly has always had a few kids from "The Town".

And just to make it clear, Oakland is "The O". East Palo Alto is "The Town".

Back in the day (1980s and 1990s), the late Jim Liggett and his Carlmont staff brought Carlmont to significant football heights. They had a number of key guys from EPA. "Dangerous Minds," a film based on a book by a Carlmont teacher, described some of the issues faced by EPA students and the Carlmont faculty during that time. It wasn't always a walk in the diversity park. The Sequoia district decided to end its desegregation busing program some years ago. One result: The rise of the M-A sports program.

......Paly has always had a few kids from "The Town".

....oH Kay.... more like The tOWn right now.
Even the Warriors with 1 foot out the door, moving van doubled parked out back and the wife picking the final finishes on their new mansion overlooking Mission Bay, have a lot invested in their Town being along the 880 and not the 101.
But i'm sure if the eastern city of the "Big Stick" is patient and surfs Craigslist over the the summer it can pick up "The Town" t's to wear at the next Tournament of the Towns between East Paly and Mack High.....

.....LOL, just bug splattin' your windshield Primo.

Woodside had a fair amount of them but I played both football and baseball in the PAL in the early 2000s and don't remember Carlmont having any EPA kids. It was Sequoia where you'd hear people throwing the word "rouge" around like ones at Centerfolds.
As far as Paly goes, where is Davonte Adams from? How about that big ass Tongan fullback that lead them to the first SBG back in when the game was first played? Where is Keesean Johnson (Fresno State) from? Paly has always had a few kids from "The Town".

Rogue.

Rouge is Baton Rouge Louisiana.

No one has mentioned the obvious: Money. M-A, part of the Sequoia Union High School District, pays its full-time teachers very generously. And that includes a hefty benefit package. The district has one of the highest pay scales in NorCal.

I don't believe he is on campus so teaching isn't a factor. But I am not in the know. Maybe he got his credential.

I don't think there's any doubt with the history he's established and pipeline at Marin Catholic that is without a doubt the better job. But jobs get stagnant after while sometimes your best isn't good enough for the parents. Or he may just need to change and new challenges.

I don't think you are in the know my man.
Oakland is "the O" & "the town" even got t shirts saying "the town"

East Palo Alto is "EPA"

Reactions: aztecpadre
There was alot of kids from EPA that went to Carlmont. Their best football and hoop players went there in the 90's and even earlier. Some played in the NFL. Paul Bradford for example. From "The Town" and went on and played for the Chargers and I believe Devon Wyman played on a Superbowl Patriots team. These were just a few names that went to Carlmont that were from EPA

I been alive since 80s and EPA always been The Town.

I wanna say Too shot started calling The O The Town on a song mid 90s.

And been an argument ever since.
EPA The Town Da Town
Oakland OakTown

If we want datelines ......In the late 80’s my brother and I moved into a warehouse butt tucked right up against the 23 Ave on ramp in East Oakland’s Jingletown.
Having spent the weekend painting the exterior hospital green in exchange for rent,we got up that Monday morning to find the whole freeway side tagged with “the Town” and “69 mob” all over our weekend labors.

but not going to keyboard arm wrestle anybody about who is most deserving just like the grit of The Town vs the slickness of The Sitty ‘er City

If we want datelines ......In the late 80’s my brother and I moved into a warehouse butt tucked right up against the 23 Ave on ramp in East Oakland’s Jingletown.
Having spent the weekend painting the exterior hospital green in exchange for rent,we got up that Monday morning to find the whole freeway side tagged with “the Town” and “69 mob” all over our weekend labors.

but not going to keyboard arm wrestle anybody about who is most deserving just like the grit of The Town vs the slickness of The Sitty ‘er City
Bay Love.
Lots of history out here.

Lots of talk about coach Mazi, obviously feel like he’s the frontrunner. But what do you guys think about the other 2 candidates

Whoever gets this job keeps it simple scheme wise and the kids eligible can win state. There is more talent on that team then DLS or Folsom, it’s scary. I hope the MC guy gets the job, that’s the best fit, they will roll through CCS with his experience. If they hire one of the other two(not saying which) shit will hit the fan with eligibility, accountability etc. Looking forward to watching MA more then the twice I saw them this year.

Whoever gets this job keeps it simple scheme wise and the kids eligible can win state. There is more talent on that team then DLS or Folsom, it’s scary. I hope the MC guy gets the job, that’s the best fit, they will roll through CCS with his experience. If they hire one of the other two(not saying which) shit will hit the fan with eligibility, accountability etc. Looking forward to watching MA more then the twice I saw them this year.

Woww... no confidence in one of those guys i see. Lol

Just got off the phone with Omari Green and Mazi. This is Fake News!!! They are both happy with the coaching positions they are in at this time. They both said they never applied for the MA job.

I heard from someone that Papin is the front runner. Didnt think much of him but the more I read the more I think he is a good coach.

I heard from someone that Papin is the front runner. Didnt think much of him but the more I read the more I think he is a good coach.

Papin is a good coach and better person. He cares about his players. MA has much better athletes than Indy, which is saying a lot. And the support will be much better. Plus most potential assistants will be attracted to the the winning and quality of player so no problem getting help.

Papin is a good coach and better person. He cares about his players. MA has much better athletes than Indy, which is saying a lot. And the support will be much better. Plus most potential assistants will be attracted to the the winning and quality of player so no problem getting help.

Independence lost to Carlmont, a PAL Lake Division team. How outstanding can the Indy athletes actually be?

Independence lost to Carlmont, a PAL Lake Division team. How outstanding can the Indy athletes actually be?

Carlmont lost to Terra Nova and Sacred Heart Prep by 14 a piece which are two bay division teams. They weren't you average lake Division program

There actually was a huge thing between Oakland and EPA back in the day. They were two cities that did not like each other much.

Like someone said, it's all Bay Love. EPA was to San Francisco what Richmond is to Oakland. We all know San Francisco is king around here.

With all due respect, Carlmont did not have a signature win in 2018. Zero.

That's disrespectful to Jake Messina who took over a 3-7 program and has gone 21-12 since while scheduling programs who aren't necessarily cake walks.

In three years they've put out their first FBS scholarship player since the turn of the stone age, had the school's first playoff appearance in damn near 30 years and come within percentage points of that same feat a year earlier when they went 8-2.

Could he have scheduled James Lick and Washington - SF? Sure. They were a C League team. Nobody would of looked down on them for doing so. He'd probably be 23-10 if so.

Respect goes to an up-and-coming program who took two Bay Division programs to the 4th Quarter.

First off Independence lost to Carlmont by 7 point(FACTS) NO BLOWOUT! Don't come on here blasting people you know nothing about. Not one coach on his Staff even owns a GOLD chain.. No sunglasses it was raining and a night game so speak facts not your dislike for someone. I'm assuming when you say Ghetto your talking about African-American people and there was only 1 African American person on his staff. So again speak facts! His team went 10-0 he's brought that program from the bottom to 2 straight league championships. Furthermore do your research in the past 3 years they have only had 3 kids academically ineligible at an eastside school. So before your start knocking people do your homework.

Agree that was a little over the top. Steve is a good man with genuine good intentions. He will continue to get better as a technical coach. Having superior athletes also tends to cover up some coaching deficiencies, so Troy Franklin and company will help with that.

the original post is actually bogus with what we think 2 of 3 not even applying. Papin seems like a good fit though but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. Independence did have a great season and a turnaround but MA is in the big leagues and playing on of the the most difficult schedules in a transition year. It will take a lot of “on campus” time for the next coach to be successful. Is Papin a teacher?

Menlo Park and Atherton couldn’t just find the money to keep their coach? They could pay Texas HS money if they wanted. That kid was a rising star in coaching and a shame to see him leave the profession.

Tough shoes to fill with everything they’ve accomplished the last four years. Expectations will be high there.

Reactions: hsfb44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT