ADVERTISEMENT

Make pro dreams come true by any means necessary...

iamgearyblvd

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2014
I just wanted to say, marking today 3/6/2023, I understand now the kids and their families that make moves, endless camps, endless aau whatevers, transfer 4 times in 4 years, reclassify, leave schools to go to a prep school in the middle of nowhere.... ALL OF THAT.... I UNDERSTAND NOW......

Because on this day, a dude like GENO SMITH is going to get $52M guaranteed next season to play QB for the Seattle Seahawks. GENO EFFING SMITH. FIFTY-TWO MILLION FOR ONE SEASON!!!! God is truly great. Bless Geno Smith. So the folks out there that question, why the kid did this? The answer is GENO SMITH. Thats why.

Another thought...and I make the following statement based upon me, my own personal opinion, that one should not make life decisions based upon the once-in-a-lifetime-shot probabilities.

Additionally, R. Wilson had an atrocious season with the Broncos, his first season outside of the organization in which he won a Super Bowl. I think that there is at least an argument for Pete and Co to roll the dice on a QB without getting pigeon-holed into paying a QB "because they won". Geno is not Mahomes/Hurts/Rodgers/Brady/Allen/Burrow/Herbert/etc. and should not be paid as such. Multiple variables are always involved, but coaching is significant. If Pete and Co can get what they did from an average (and that is generous) QB in Geno Smith, why pay him as a Mahomes/Hurts/Rodgers/Brady/Allen/Burrow/Herbert/etc.?

Reactions: Scoop and Score
Another thought...and I make the following statement based upon me, my own personal opinion, that one should not make life decisions based upon the once-in-a-lifetime-shot probabilities.

Additionally, R. Wilson had an atrocious season with the Broncos, his first season outside of the organization in which he won a Super Bowl. I think that there is at least an argument for Pete and Co to roll the dice on a QB without getting pigeon-holed into paying a QB "because they won". Geno is not Mahomes/Hurts/Rodgers/Brady/Allen/Burrow/Herbert/etc. and should not be paid as such. Multiple variables are always involved, but coaching is significant. If Pete and Co can get what they did from an average (and that is generous) QB in Geno Smith, why pay him as a Mahomes/Hurts/Rodgers/Brady/Allen/Burrow/Herbert/etc.?
Disagree that Geno should not be paid as much. We the peanut gallery only see the NUMBER and we are fixated into believing the number is too high. You know what dictates the number? The market. The stupid numbers we see today are because of TV, streaming, licensing, gaming, gambling, advertising, the whole sha-bang. When you put all that money in a pot, people are going to get paid. If you like to see the salaries go down, Im sorry to say you are anti-free market.

The next time you go into your employment evaluation and negotiate your raise, you take a look at what is getting paid, what youre company is worth and you certainly are not going to say, oh dont pay me more. I guarantee that.

Geno was first in completion percentage and sixth in QBR last year. If he’s figured it out, he’s a really valuable player.

Last edited:
Every player's timeline is different and situations matter. Maybe Geno needed some developement and the Jets were the wrong place to get it. Now, he got a few years to sit and grow his game in the shadows and then was ready when his chance came.

Bringing it back to high school, it is a good example of finding the right spot for you and not trying to fast forwrd the process

Every player's timeline is different and situations matter. Maybe Geno needed some developement and the Jets were the wrong place to get it. Now, he got a few years to sit and grow his game in the shadows and then was ready when his chance came.

Bringing it back to high school, it is a good example of finding the right spot for you and not trying to fast forwrd the process

I always like to point to Steve Nash, who didn't really begin to flash his talent until his 5th season in the NBA. He went from afterthought to a 2-time MVP.

Another example is Ryan Tannehill, who spent 7 years in Miami as largely a mediocre QB then flourished in Tennessee when surrounded by the right type of complimentary talent and better managed by coaches within his skill sets and limitations.

IMO, football more so than any of the other major sports, is very dependent upon finding the right situation and coaching staff that not only believes in the player but more importantly understands how to utilize their strengths and mask their weaknesses.

Another good recent example is Tua Tagovailoa. The previous staff not only weren't good at building up a good offensive system and judging the surrounding talent, but they also completely mismanaged Tua's skill set by having him run an offense designed for Ryan Fitzpatrick, but most importantly didn't believe in him.

Conversely, Mike McDaniel and his staff came in and believed in the kid from day 1 and built their offense around his strengths and also surrounded him with play makers capable of taking advantage of his elite accuracy and anticipation. The results were career seasons from Tua, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle, with Tua leading the NFL in QB rating and 3rd in QBR behind only Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen.

Fit and support matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT