ADVERTISEMENT

2023 WCAL Football

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
WIth scrimmages out of the way and school starting, I thought I'd post a 2023 WCAL Football Outlook. All the WCAL teams look to have very strong non-league schedules. Some even scheduling teams from SoCal like Helix-San Diego (SF), Cathedral Catholic-SD (SI) St. Bonaventure-Ventura (Riordan) Who do you got and why? Will @Rmbr26 make his long awaited return with his astute assessments?
  1. Serra - returns arguably its best senior class in the program's history. Serra returns the WCAL QB of the year (Smith); OLB of the Year (Alapati), TE of the year (Harrison); DB of the year (Bey); Utility of the year (Green) and Jr of the Year (Mann). Tough preseason slate that kicks off with Folsom, DLS and Central Catholic also prepare the Padres for the WCAL Gauntlet, WCAL Playoffs (err CCS Open) and NorCal /State Open Run.
  2. Riordan - Coach Ravipati enters his 2nd year and this is now his team. With an already solid returning core, the Crusaders bring in a host of highly recruited 3 and 4 star transfers. The program looks promising for the future as it welcomes one its strongest freshmen class since 2016. 3 freshmen already have D1 offers! The teams strengths look to be its offensive line, QB (Mitchell Jr) and WR/DBs (Jackson, Wedeymuller, Jones). Depth also appears very much improved as Riordan was decimated from injuries to its top players last year. On paper, Riordan possesses size, speed and talent and should have a break out year. The Crusader Coaching Staff seems up to the task to bring this team together.
  3. St. Francis - Tough call to make as I almost took the Lancers @ 2nd ahead of Riordan. SF appears to reload every year like Serra. Great story with SF's QB Knapp and his recovery. The Lancers found another power rb in jr Keanaaina last season as he lit it up the second half of the season. Team defense, a power I offense and depth remain hallmarks of the Lancers.
  4. Bellarmine - new coach Diaz-Infante takes over for Beauchman. Bells lose their power rb and top DE and LB but return its qb Threatt, WR, TE and leading tackler from last season.
  5. St. Ignatius - the other Jesuit school also has a new coach in Vandermade replacing longtime coach Regalia. SI brings back its qb (Hummel) who started as a soph last year. He teams up with their leading receiver (St. Gemme) from last year and will be protected by a very good OL led by Mills (several D1 offers) and overall strong junior class that includes hard hitting LB Hunkin.
  6. Valley Christian - The Warriors look to bounce back from last years 0-WCAL record. They bring back a bunch of returners led by its hulk OL (Taulealea) and fireplug RB (Eke). VC lost its Qb to transfer, but gain a promising WR that comes over from Serra and has dubbed himself Megatron.
  7. SHC- The Irish lose a majority of both its offensive firepower and defensive prowess and speed in losing Mixon, Sanders and Miller to graduation. They bring back 4year varsity player McGrath and is protected by a huge OL led by Young and Hatch. Some key returners include Salgado and Irons at WR/DB.
  8. Mitty - The Monarchs also lose their top weapons in QB and WRs, but return its starting Rb (Cenzel). Coach Sullivan will have his squad ready to compete and perhaps surprise the league again with a strong campaign.

Last edited:
It's probably fair to state that 2023 is going to be a transitional year for the WCAL. Only three schools (Serra, SF and VC) have long-standing and consistent coaching staffs. The rest are in varying stages of short tenures on their campuses. Further, only Serra and SF can be considered truly deep throughout their programs, top to borrom. VC is usually in that category but the Warriors have suffered some recent glitches. That said, there are openings for the rest to make noise, especially in 2024 after Serra has graduated its current stable of outstanding seniors. The Padres, as NorCal's consensus No.1 team entering the new season, should be favored in all seven of its WCAL games. The non-league slate is different. It's likely that the first three weeks of the season (Folsom, DLS and Central Catholic) will provide Serra with a 21-day challenge tougher than any similar stretch in the WCAL. The feeling here is that, after Serra, the league could have three tiers with SF, SI and Riordan in Group A, VC, Bellarmine and Mitty in Group B and SHC trailing all of the above. By the way, expecting Serra to defeat Folsom, DLS and CC as they did in 2022 is asking a lot. The odds, frankly, are not terribly favorable. Just look at what Folsom did to a sound Monterey Trail team last night. Whew.

Serra’s vaunted D will be put to the test. Folsom offense with their soph mobile QB adds a dimension that Mack did not have.

For what it's worth, Serra's overall program numbers are down this year, from 220 in 2022 to a reported 160 now (per Coach Walsh's latest Twitter note). Not sure what that means. Maybe nothing if the 160 total is bristling with big-time talent. But it's an interesting factoid.

For what it's worth, Serra's overall program numbers are down this year, from 220 in 2022 to a reported 160 now (per Coach Walsh's latest Twitter note). Not sure what that means. Maybe nothing if the 160 total is bristling with big-time talent. But it's an interesting factoid.
160 for 3 teams seems impressive. They have 59 on varsity roster which is huge by any standards outside of the Trinity league. 220 seems too many and some of those kids probably realized there is better things to do with time.

160 for 3 teams seems impressive. They have 59 on varsity roster which is huge by any standards outside of the Trinity league. 220 seems too many and some of those kids probably realized there is better things to do with time.

I was thinking the same thing, a lot of kids quit after freshman year.

160 is the number of mom's that showed up for a "Mom's Clinic". 90+ on the frosh roster with 59 on varsity, still over 200 playing football on W. 20th

Reactions: larry legend33
That’s about 1/4 of the total student enrollment @ Serrra. Impressive. WIth that said, curious what the turnout is for the remaining all-boys school in the WCAL, Bellarmine. 1,600 boys.

Reactions: FBAddict
It's probably fair to state that 2023 is going to be a transitional year for the WCAL. Only three schools (Serra, SF and VC) have long-standing and consistent coaching staffs. The rest are in varying stages of short tenures on their campuses. Further, only Serra and SF can be considered truly deep throughout their programs, top to borrom. VC is usually in that category but the Warriors have suffered some recent glitches. That said, there are openings for the rest to make noise, especially in 2024 after Serra has graduated its current stable of outstanding seniors. The Padres, as NorCal's consensus No.1 team entering the new season, should be favored in all seven of its WCAL games. The non-league slate is different. It's likely that the first three weeks of the season (Folsom, DLS and Central Catholic) will provide Serra with a 21-day challenge tougher than any similar stretch in the WCAL. The feeling here is that, after Serra, the league could have three tiers with SF, SI and Riordan in Group A, VC, Bellarmine and Mitty in Group B and SHC trailing all of the above. By the way, expecting Serra to defeat Folsom, DLS and CC as they did in 2022 is asking a lot. The odds, frankly, are not terribly favorable. Just look at what Folsom did to a sound Monterey Trail team last night. Whew.

Serra does lose a lot of talent to graduation after this season. But it's interesting to note that Serra's current junior class won the WCAL as freshmen. That class has not been augmented by scads of transfers, but it does indicate there's some talent there.

I think a nice sized crop of peninsula, SF, and other kids were nabbed by Riordan’s Ravpati. Their incoming Frosh class is insane and I believe Serra folks are well aware why their numbers are a bit down this year. Will be very fun to see those matchups this season given some of the twitter fireworks that have occurred already between some of the staff members this offseason.
Just went on the Riordan website to check the frosh roster on number of participants, there's not even a frosh schedule listed, does Riordan have a frosh team this year?

Just went on the Riordan website to check the frosh roster on number of participants, there's not even a frosh schedule listed, does Riordan have a frosh team this year?
What was all the talk about Riordan getting all the freshman from all over the bay area? Was there a mass exodus?

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Mitch Stephens has Riordan ranked 5 in the pre-season rankings after going 3-7 last year. Suffice to say that is one quantum leap in the rankings. The name of the game is do you have the guys up front. They have assembled one of the biggest and most capable lines from end to end that I can ever remember for a WCAL team. Teams are lucky to even have 2 of those. and Riordan has 7 with the two Langis, two Tofis, Tupou, Malupo, and Kaihea.

I understand Riordan will be fielding a Varsity and JV Team this year. Appears this gives both teams solid roster numbers as I count 53 on Varsity and 55 on JVs. Sophomore numbers were low so the decision was to add the 24 freshmen to JVs. This doesn't include the 5 freshmen that made varsity (3 already have D1 offers. 1 has multiple offers from P5 programs including Georgia, Miami, Mich St. Purdue..). Many of the freshman come from the area junior football programs so it made sense to have the kids play up a level.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Are all of the transfers playing right away for Riordan? Or do they do the 30 day sit?

Appears the Tofi brothers are cleared to play based on a recent post from their dad. Not sure who else can play or needs to sit out. I heard the SOP is 4 games.

I understand Riordan will be fielding a Varsity and JV Team this year. Appears this gives both teams solid roster numbers as I count 53 on Varsity and 55 on JVs. Sophomore numbers were low so the decision was to add the 24 freshmen to JVs. This doesn't include the 5 freshmen that made varsity (3 already have D1 offers. 1 has multiple offers from P5 programs including Georgia, Miami, Mich St. Purdue..). Many of the freshman come from the area junior football programs so it made sense to have the kids play up a level.
29 freshman, I heard Serra had over 100 kids playing freshman ball last season.

And the word around the water cooler is that the two freshmen with no offers are actually the the best of the bunch 😅😅😅

• Haha
Mitty dead last after what they did last year?
SHC has looked awful and won't be surprised if they are in the cellar this year. SHP who could not even move the ball or stop Riordan last week moved at will and stuffed the Irish offense. It was only during garbage time that SHC scored. Mitty could surprise once again.
Mack manhandled Bellarmine and knew exactly how to gameplan against them with blitzes and tight man. The Bells line play was atrocious considering DIaz-Infante being a former star lineman. Threatt was in constant distress and the run game was non-existent.
The final week of non-league may see a shift how the WCAL could potentially play out.

Reactions: FBAddict
SHC has looked awful and won't be surprised if they are in the cellar this year. SHP who could not even move the ball or stop Riordan last week moved at will and stuffed the Irish offense. It was only during garbage time that SHC scored. Mitty could surprise once again.
Mack manhandled Bellarmine and knew exactly how to gameplan against them with blitzes and tight man. The Bells line play was atrocious considering DIaz-Infante being a former star lineman. Threatt was in constant distress and the run game was non-existent.
The final week of non-league may see a shift how the WCAL could potentially play out.
I would not be surprised if Riordan hung 60 vs SH. I thought SH's O-Line was going to be their strength this year and could managed a decent running game but after seeing the first two games, their run philosophy needs to change. Williams is not going anywhere just being the single back. He needs a lead blocker. Just my opinion. It was more entertaining watching their Frosh team. They have this kid on the OL (Forks) that is promising.

I would not be surprised if Riordan hung 60 vs SH. I thought SH's O-Line was going to be their strength this year and could managed a decent running game but after seeing the first two games, their run philosophy needs to change. Williams is not going anywhere just being the single back. He needs a lead blocker. Just my opinion. It was more entertaining watching their Frosh team. They have this kid on the OL (Forks) that is promising.
Yes, at some point they will have to put the Marin QB in too, I wonder what is taking so long? The frosh look very good and much more fun to watch. I wanted some to go right into varsity, but the football program is right to keep this unit together as long as they can for continuity for now. Not just Forks looks good.

Yes, at some point they will have to put the Marin QB in too, I wonder what is taking so long? The frosh look very good and much more fun to watch. I wanted some to go right into varsity, but the football program is right to keep this unit together as long as they can for continuity for now. Not just Forks looks good.
Irish main issue is defense, more than offense which isnt good either. Switching QBs at this point is not going to solve anything and Sargeant appears to be the 3rd QB behind McGrath and Patton. The hope was the drop-off this year was not going to be so evident because of what they built the last 3-4 years. Perhaps the culture accumulated in those years would carry them this year. That has shown to not be the case as talent at skilled positions is sorely needed. The frosh team the QB, the WR, the RB, and two linemen. Can argue all 5 of those guys are better than their upperclassmen on varsity.

Irish main issue is defense, more than offense which isnt good either. Switching QBs at this point is not going to solve anything and Sargeant appears to be the 3rd QB behind McGrath and Patton. The hope was the drop-off this year was not going to be so evident because of what they built the last 3-4 years. Perhaps the culture accumulated in those years would carry them this year. That has shown to not be the case as talent at skilled positions is sorely needed. The frosh team the QB, the WR, the RB, and two linemen. Can argue all 5 of those guys are better than their upperclassmen on varsity.
Well everything you said is true, but Sergeant is a transfer that was pretty highly regarded as well from Marin so he is interesting . The frosh/soph team has some pieces and it will be interesting when they play Riordan the last game of the year, Im assuming they will play Riordans' JVs since Riordan does not have a FROSH team.

Well everything you said is true, but Sergeant is a transfer that was pretty highly regarded as well from Marin so he is interesting . The frosh/soph team has some pieces and it will be interesting when they play Riordan the last game of the year, Im assuming they will play Riordans' JVs since Riordan does not have a FROSH team.
Again, the problem will not be solved with a switch at QB. Look at the box score for the Wilcox game. Wilcox ran the ball 42 times for 337 yards and 4 TDs. Irish cannot stop anyone to save their lives this season. Yah opponents RBs eyes are REALLY wide now this season when they dont see #6 on the other side licking his chops. Irish were solid up the middle last two years and are El Matadors now.

Reactions: rabbit5
Again, the problem will not be solved with a switch at QB. Look at the box score for the Wilcox game. Wilcox ran the ball 42 times for 337 yards and 4 TDs. Irish cannot stop anyone to save their lives this season. Yah opponents RBs eyes are REALLY wide now this season when they dont see #6 on the other side licking his chops. Irish were solid up the middle last two years and are El Matadors now.
Yes I agree....Not switch permanently but put him out there to see how he does, what do they have to lose, they are 0-3. What do they have to lose with trying out different players, he is going to just sit on the bench the whole season? The QB from Marin was on the same QB list as Mitchell from Riordan, albeit not in the top 10. He was someone to watch and played Varsity mid season in San Marin as a Frosh.. I probably don't know all the details but I also don't think he transferred to not play.

Last edited:
Yes I agree....Not switch permanently but put him out there to see how he does, what do they have to lose, they are 0-3. What do they have to lose with trying out different players, he is going to just sit on the bench the whole season? The QB from Marin was on the same QB list as Mitchell from Riordan, albeit not in the top 10. He was someone to watch and played Varsity mid season in San Marin as a Frosh.. I probably don't know all the details but I also don't think he transferred to not play.
Im not against giving him a look. He transferred in for a reason and its not to sit. My point is McGrath earned his way to where he is. Of course its alot easier throwing to who he had last year vs what he has this year. I dont see any coaches at any school doing that to a senior unless he is either injured or absolutely stinks.

Im not against giving him a look. He transferred in for a reason and its not to sit. My point is McGrath earned his way to where he is. Of course its alot easier throwing to who he had last year vs what he has this year. I dont see any coaches at any school doing that to a senior unless he is either injured or absolutely stinks.
Yeah, they put Patton in a few series too...they could try him out, its pre-season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT