ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 11

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 11

Game of the Year: Version III, kicks off this weekend in the Gabilan. Palma has a shout to finish undefeated in league and claim the Gabilan title all to themselves with a victory over crosstown rival Salinas. Palma, until recently, had dominated this series. But Salinas has won the last 4 matchups. This should be a classic: Palma’s Defense vs. Salinas Offense. If Salinas wins it will create a 3 way tie with Aptos for the title. Those three teams and Hollister are all set for the Playoffs. The bottom of the Gabilan was not as strong this year, I would expect Alisal to stay but Santa Cruz and Alverez will probably be moved down.

Soquel secured an undefeated season in the Mission division and will take a bye this week as it waits for it’s playoff seed. In one of the larger upsets of the year, Carmel outscored Monterey last week 51-44. With the win Carmel still has a chance to secure third place, with lots of help and a playoff spot. This game really surprised me as Monterey seems to have regressed into some of the bad habits of a year ago. Monterey needs to beat Seaside to ensure a playoff spot, another loss could eliminate them. Soquel and Seaside are in, Monterey, Scott’s Valley and Carmel are fighting for the last spot. PCAL Booster breaks it down in his post. North Salinas and maybe MVC will probably be ticketed to the Cypress, while Soquel and Seaside or Monterey will be headed up to the Gabilan.

I was hoping @Streakone would include this battle for the league title between St Francis and Soledad. St. Francis is 9-0 while Soledad is 8-1, it only blemish by 6 points to a really good Soquel team in week 1. Both Defense’s only give up 9.3 pts per game. This should be an epic match up. The winner is guaranteed a playoff spot, hopefully the loser receives an at large bid. Another great game will feature 2 long time rivals PG V King City. These 2 teams have played each other for over 75 years. Watsonville Vs North County will give 1 of theses teams their lone league victory. The Winner probably stays while the loser will be kicked down to the Santa Lucia. I expect St. Francis and Soledad to be bumped up to the Mission.

It’s all over in the Santa Lucia as RLS has won the title! Bring on Serra!!! It is the 2nd football title for RLS. There was a time when RLS competed in the old MTAL when it consisted of: RLS, Carmel, PG, King City, Gonzales, Alisal, Palma and Hollister. So, the equity thing has been good for RLS. They will move up to the Cypress next year. I expect Gonzales and Greenfield to be considered as well, but both probably stay down. Quick shout out to SLV for their victory over Harbor. After blowing a 23-point lead to Marina the week before, it was good to see them bounce back and get a win to end the year on a good note.

Last week: 10-2 (Congrats to Carmel and SLV) Overall 108-38

Gabilan

Fri 11/04 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Alvarez (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm -Alvarez can create a 3 way tie for 4th place with a win. I just don’t see it. Alisal has been a bit more consistent. Alisal 28-7

Fri 11/04 Hollister (CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:30pm- What if Salinas knocks off Palma and Aptos overlooks Hollister? Oh, the embarrassment. This will be good game, but Aptos is better than Hollister this year. Aptos 34-17

Fri 11/04 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Salinas (CA), 7:30pm- Aptos beat Salinas because it was able to outscore them, it did not necessarily stop them. At full strength, this Salinas team may have one of the best offenses in the CCS. Palma’s Defense will slow them down, I just don’t have the confidence in their offense to score enough points. Salinas 27-14

Mission

Fri 11/04 Seaside (CA) at Monterey (CA), 7:30pm- It is awesome when a rivalry game has playoff implications. Seaside is in, a Monterey win puts them in. A Monterey loss does not eliminate them, but it makes things tougher. I like Chaos. Seaside 24-21

Sat 11/05 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at Carmel (CA), 2:00pm- Carmel needs to win, hope for a Scott’s Valley loss and a Monterey loss then they would actually make the playoffs. That would be amazing for this group. I think they win, but that SV loss may not happen. Carmel 28-20

Sat 11/05 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 7:30pm-By the time this game kicks off, Scott’s Valley will know their playoff fate. If Monterey wins, Scott’s Valley is eliminated. If Carmel loses, Scott’s Valley is eliminated. They need a 3 way tie for third. I think Scott’s Valley is going to the Playoffs. Scott’s Valley 35-6

Cypress

Thu 11/03 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at Watsonville (CA), 7:30pm- So winner stays and loser probably ends up down in the Santa Lucia next year. That’s weird when you look at the history of these 2 programs and the size of the schools. (1,200 for NMC and 2000+ for Watsonville). NMC 21-17

Fri 11/04 Pacific Grove (CA) at King City (CA), 7:30pm- Long time rivals meet for 4th place bragging rights? Does not matter teams are evenly matched and games are usually y close. Remember last year PG kept King City out of the playoffs with an upset. KC 24-23

Fri 11/04 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm- I have thought about this game and I have no idea how to handicap it. Both teams are that close. St. Francis is undefeated, but they had an easier schedule. Soledad just keeps improving week after week. I decided I am going with the home team. Soledad 14-13

Santa Lucia

Fri 11/04 Gonzales (CA) at Greenfield (CA), 7:30pm – The battle of the Swiss sausage sandwich. If you have never had one, I strongly encourage you to attend a Salinas Valley football game. (KC and Soledad have them as well). Taking the resurgent Greenfield program in a close one. Greenfield 21-18

Fri 11/04 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 7:30pm -I Think RLS can secure the #2 seed in Division 1 with a win. That should keep them away from Serra until the championships. 😉 Truth is they will be in the middle/bottom of D5. Does not matter, they get to hang the banner. #PIRATEBALL!!. RLS 35-7

Sat 11/05 Marina (CA) vs Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA) at Seaside (CA), 6:00pm – There is something positive for the first time on the Marina campus with regards to football. It is great to see them win some game,s now they have a stadium plan in place. These are good things for this long time struggling program. Marina 24-7

PCAL Week 11

Game of the Year: Version III, kicks off this weekend in the Gabilan. Palma has a shout to finish undefeated in league and claim the Gabilan title all to themselves with a victory over crosstown rival Salinas. Palma, until recently, had dominated this series. But Salinas has won the last 4 matchups. This should be a classic: Palma’s Defense vs. Salinas Offense. If Salinas wins it will create a 3 way tie with Aptos for the title. Those three teams and Hollister are all set for the Playoffs. The bottom of the Gabilan was not as strong this year, I would expect Alisal to stay but Santa Cruz and Alverez will probably be moved down.

Soquel secured an undefeated season in the Mission division and will take a bye this week as it waits for it’s playoff seed. In one of the larger upsets of the year, Carmel outscored Monterey last week 51-44. With the win Carmel still has a chance to secure third place, with lots of help and a playoff spot. This game really surprised me as Monterey seems to have regressed into some of the bad habits of a year ago. Monterey needs to beat Seaside to ensure a playoff spot, another loss could eliminate them. Soquel and Seaside are in, Monterey, Scott’s Valley and Carmel are fighting for the last spot. PCAL Booster breaks it down in his post. North Salinas and maybe MVC will probably be ticketed to the Cypress, while Soquel and Seaside or Monterey will be headed up to the Gabilan.

I was hoping @Streakone would include this battle for the league title between St Francis and Soledad. St. Francis is 9-0 while Soledad is 8-1, it only blemish by 6 points to a really good Soquel team in week 1. Both Defense’s only give up 9.3 pts per game. This should be an epic match up. The winner is guaranteed a playoff spot, hopefully the loser receives an at large bid. Another great game will feature 2 long time rivals PG V King City. These 2 teams have played each other for over 75 years. Watsonville Vs North County will give 1 of theses teams their lone league victory. The Winner probably stays while the loser will be kicked down to the Santa Lucia. I expect St. Francis and Soledad to be bumped up to the Mission.

It’s all over in the Santa Lucia as RLS has won the title! Bring on Serra!!! It is the 2nd football title for RLS. There was a time when RLS competed in the old MTAL when it consisted of: RLS, Carmel, PG, King City, Gonzales, Alisal, Palma and Hollister. So, the equity thing has been good for RLS. They will move up to the Cypress next year. I expect Gonzales and Greenfield to be considered as well, but both probably stay down. Quick shout out to SLV for their victory over Harbor. After blowing a 23-point lead to Marina the week before, it was good to see them bounce back and get a win to end the year on a good note.

Last week: 10-2 (Congrats to Carmel and SLV) Overall 108-38

Gabilan

Fri 11/04 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Alvarez (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm -Alvarez can create a 3 way tie for 4th place with a win. I just don’t see it. Alisal has been a bit more consistent. Alisal 28-7

Fri 11/04 Hollister (CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:30pm- What if Salinas knocks off Palma and Aptos overlooks Hollister? Oh, the embarrassment. This will be good game, but Aptos is better than Hollister this year. Aptos 34-17

Fri 11/04 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Salinas (CA), 7:30pm- Aptos beat Salinas because it was able to outscore them, it did not necessarily stop them. At full strength, this Salinas team may have one of the best offenses in the CCS. Palma’s Defense will slow them down, I just don’t have the confidence in their offense to score enough points. Salinas 27-14

Mission

Fri 11/04 Seaside (CA) at Monterey (CA), 7:30pm- It is awesome when a rivalry game has playoff implications. Seaside is in, a Monterey win puts them in. A Monterey loss does not eliminate them, but it makes things tougher. I like Chaos. Seaside 24-21

Sat 11/05 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at Carmel (CA), 2:00pm- Carmel needs to win, hope for a Scott’s Valley loss and a Monterey loss then they would actually make the playoffs. That would be amazing for this group. I think they win, but that SV loss may not happen. Carmel 28-20

Sat 11/05 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 7:30pm-By the time this game kicks off, Scott’s Valley will know their playoff fate. If Monterey wins, Scott’s Valley is eliminated. If Carmel loses, Scott’s Valley is eliminated. They need a 3 way tie for third. I think Scott’s Valley is going to the Playoffs. Scott’s Valley 35-6

Cypress

Thu 11/03 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at Watsonville (CA), 7:30pm- So winner stays and loser probably ends up down in the Santa Lucia next year. That’s weird when you look at the history of these 2 programs and the size of the schools. (1,200 for NMC and 2000+ for Watsonville). NMC 21-17

Fri 11/04 Pacific Grove (CA) at King City (CA), 7:30pm- Long time rivals meet for 4th place bragging rights? Does not matter teams are evenly matched and games are usually y close. Remember last year PG kept King City out of the playoffs with an upset. KC 24-23

Fri 11/04 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm- I have thought about this game and I have no idea how to handicap it. Both teams are that close. St. Francis is undefeated, but they had an easier schedule. Soledad just keeps improving week after week. I decided I am going with the home team. Soledad 14-13

Santa Lucia

Fri 11/04 Gonzales (CA) at Greenfield (CA), 7:30pm – The battle of the Swiss sausage sandwich. If you have never had one, I strongly encourage you to attend a Salinas Valley football game. (KC and Soledad have them as well). Taking the resurgent Greenfield program in a close one. Greenfield 21-18

Fri 11/04 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 7:30pm -I Think RLS can secure the #2 seed in Division 1 with a win. That should keep them away from Serra until the championships. 😉 Truth is they will be in the middle/bottom of D5. Does not matter, they get to hang the banner. #PIRATEBALL!!. RLS 35-7

Sat 11/05 Marina (CA) vs Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA) at Seaside (CA), 6:00pm – There is something positive for the first time on the Marina campus with regards to football. It is great to see them win some game,s now they have a stadium plan in place. These are good things for this long time struggling program. Marina 24-7
Simply outstanding work. Nothing more need be said.

My thought is the same on Salinas v Palma. I know Palma will try to take the same approach they did as with Aptos and limit the Cowboy's offensive touches. They limited possessions to 5 series. That strategy served the Chieftains well years ago when they relied on ball control with long drives and good defense. Palma rushing attack is more smash mouth (with very physical RB) with less deception than Aptos. Salinas had trouble stopping Aptos rushing attack. Salinas will probably defend better against Palma rush with very good LBs although defensive line of Cowboys is weakest link. Palma will have to throw the ball. Their junior QB has come into his own and is very good. He is accurate and seems to get it to his very good WRs. Palma defense may slow Salinas offense a little. Palma has a DB that can match up with Salinas best WR and the same with Salinas on PPalma's D1 WR. Leave one other WR on Salinas that an make big plays. Palma QB has been throwing to all WRs. Palma's soph TE is going to be very good as are all its soph and junior skill players. I'm inclined to think Palma can slow Cowboys offense some, but Palma also will need to score points. Turnovers are the equalizer, but Salinas QB makes very few (only 3 INTs) and he is mobile. Got to give Salinas the the edge but a turnover here and there and it could be interesting game. Salinas will be the favorite but they will need to play good defense. Palma will need to play better than they did against Aptos on defense to be in this game.

Reactions: RLS13
Gabilan:

Hollister's days as a member of the big 4 are numbered, with the new high school that is supposed to open in that town. Question is whether they'll also jump ship to the MHAL like their Gilroy and Morgan Hill brethren.

If you watch some of the YouTube videos of Palma and Salinas from this year, it's a little puzzling how Palma was able to beat Aptos, but not really dominate the likes of Alvarez. Then you watch Salinas, who is pretty scary on offense. The Cowboy DL has struggled and the rush D has been supplemented by a lot of run blitzes. That, of course, doesn't really work against a misdirection offense like Aptos. So, I think that was a big contributor to the result. I think that game was a wake-up call for Salinas, so look out.

In my opinion, Alvarez and Santa Cruz should move down to the Mission, but only Soquel should move up. This should only be a 6-team division. Palma should be really good next year.

Mission:

Soquel is a great story, but their game against Palma shows how humongous of a gap there is from the top 3 Gab teams to everyone else. They have to move up, but no one else in this division is ready to do so.

Keeping this division at 7 allows for some potential interdivisional rivalry games. If only Soquel moves up, Alvarez and Santa Cruz move down, then both Watonsville and North County should move down. Crazy to think that the Wildcatz actually upset #1 D-1 seed Oak Grove a while back.

Cypress:

A lot of missed opportunities for last-week rivalry games: Rancho San Juan vs North County, Soledad vs King City, St. Francis vs Watsonville... Pacific Grove vs Carmel (see above). I just would prefer for a St. Francis to be placed in D-4 with a win. D-3 seems too high for this division.

I know the PCAL leaders seem to have wanted for each division to have 7 teams, I think having 8 in the Cypress makes the most sense, given that it has one fewer automatic bid. The 2nd place team, in theory, would have one additional win over a weaker B team. That could bolster a playoff point resume a little. Watsonville and North County drops here, but only the winner of St. Francis and Soledad should move up. While, you can definitely argue that both SF and Soledad are Mission level, Seaside is definitely not Gabilan-ready.

Rancho San Juan has to be a favorite for next year.

Santa Lucia:

Congrats to RLS for breaking through for a title. A trip to the playoffs and a cup of coffee (maybe more) in the Cypress is their prize.

Marina has been a terrific story this year. Hopefully they can continue to grow.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
I think the Gonzales/Greenfield winner will go up. Key players returning and jv team only has 2 losses for the spartans.

Gabilan:

Hollister's days as a member of the big 4 are numbered, with the new high school that is supposed to open in that town. Question is whether they'll also jump ship to the MHAL like their Gilroy and Morgan Hill brethren.

If you watch some of the YouTube videos of Palma and Salinas from this year, it's a little puzzling how Palma was able to beat Aptos, but not really dominate the likes of Alvarez. Then you watch Salinas, who is pretty scary on offense. The Cowboy DL has struggled and the rush D has been supplemented by a lot of run blitzes. That, of course, doesn't really work against a misdirection offense like Aptos. So, I think that was a big contributor to the result. I think that game was a wake-up call for Salinas, so look out.

In my opinion, Alvarez and Santa Cruz should move down to the Mission, but only Soquel should move up. This should only be a 6-team division. Palma should be really good next year.

Mission:

Soquel is a great story, but their game against Palma shows how humongous of a gap there is from the top 3 Gab teams to everyone else. They have to move up, but no one else in this division is ready to do so.

Keeping this division at 7 allows for some potential interdivisional rivalry games. If only Soquel moves up, Alvarez and Santa Cruz move down, then both Watonsville and North County should move down. Crazy to think that the Wildcatz actually upset #1 D-1 seed Oak Grove a while back.

Cypress:

A lot of missed opportunities for last-week rivalry games: Rancho San Juan vs North County, Soledad vs King City, St. Francis vs Watsonville... Pacific Grove vs Carmel (see above). I just would prefer for a St. Francis to be placed in D-4 with a win. D-3 seems too high for this division.

I know the PCAL leaders seem to have wanted for each division to have 7 teams, I think having 8 in the Cypress makes the most sense, given that it has one fewer automatic bid. The 2nd place team, in theory, would have one additional win over a weaker B team. That could bolster a playoff point resume a little. Watsonville and North County drops here, but only the winner of St. Francis and Soledad should move up. While, you can definitely argue that both SF and Soledad are Mission level, Seaside is definitely not Gabilan-ready.

Rancho San Juan has to be a favorite for next year.

Santa Lucia:

Congrats to RLS for breaking through for a title. A trip to the playoffs and a cup of coffee (maybe more) in the Cypress is their prize.

Marina has been a terrific story this year. Hopefully they can continue to grow.
It makes sense that Hollister builds another school at 3,500 students (3400 is max capacity), but looks like the $200M will be tough to raise and will take time especially with slowdown and recession expected early 2023. It could be a few years down the road. I agree that the Gab should only be 6 teams. Interestingly the way things could work out, Hollister could be in for a CC D3 playoff title and a regional and potential state bid. They will have a good shot at it. No reason for Gab to have 7 teams. 6 and the bottom dwellers can play other PCAL divisions more and that is good for both divisions and the bottom teams can also schedule more competitive out of league games.

Was hoping to get to Salinas Palma game but nee to work too late to venture through 2-2 1/2 hours of traffic. Hopefully the stream is good. They changed their strategy the last few years and have brought up 7-9 sophs up a year to varsity and same numbers of frosh up to JV. The strategy has made their lower classes look week but they gain experience. Next season there will be many three year starters. The main RB this year started in a playoff as a frosh and had over 100 yards and this is his 4th year experience on varsity. Palma still need to get bigger and stronger on the line. They do have good Jr leadership which should translate to a positive next season. They definitely have exceeded expectations and even by some coaches (not on football team). Salinas will get the numbers and probably reload some but this team has a few special players. I was surprised Salinas played so bad on defense against Aptos after pretty much stopping them the previous season. D line was the big difference. Last season they had a couple animals on the D-line, but I think LBs and DBs are better and more experienced this season. If 3 year starter QB Adam Schaffer is healthy, it will be a tough game for Palma. I am surprised Adam doesn't have any offers. He's the real deal. Decent live arm and extremely accurate and only 3 INTs, and he is mobile and a bear to tackle. I know it helps to have 2 D1 WRs, but he has an extremely high football IQ and rarely makes mistakes. I don't think he camped and maybe that's why. Just an all around talented player.

Reactions: Cal 14
If PCAL Gab goes tp 6 - you have 5 nonleague games. I think Salinas, Palma, Aptos and Hollister wouldn't have much trouble getting 5 nonleague games. I could see Salinas playing teams like in the EBAL (Amador Valley and Foothill Pleasanton), at least one WCAL team, a MHAL or Denaz league team, and 1 Central section or northern Socal team (e.g., Paso Robles, Arrow Grande, St Josephs), or even a Del Oro or other SFL team, or Valley Oak or Western teams. They can play a McClymonds. At least 2 of those games would be the teams coming to the Pitt which I can't imagine any team wouldn't want to experience. Salinas, Palma, Aptos and Hollister all have nice venues. All these teams have travelled. Don't think these teams would have trouble filling in the non-league.

Reactions: Cal 14
Was hoping to get to Salinas Palma game but nee to work too late to venture through 2-2 1/2 hours of traffic. Hopefully the stream is good.
Salinas does not typically stream their games, although it's often listed. There is a "radio" broadcast on Twitter, though.

Salinas does not typically stream their games, although it's often listed. There is a "radio" broadcast on Twitter, though.
They are listed on the streaming service. Wonder if it will stream. I know Aptis v Salinas was delayed and on Demand. I know the broadcaster Richardson who was play by play for San Jose State radio and his one son QB at Palma and other at Salinas. He used to also do Palma broadcasts until his son transferred to Salinas for his frosh year. Good play by play. Would be great if they streamed and he did broadcast. This is listed as is JV game.

His audio stream is at

They are listed on the streaming service. Wonder if it will stream. I know Aptis v Salinas was delayed and on Demand. I know the broadcaster Richardson who was play by play for San Jose State radio and his one son QB at Palma and other at Salinas. He used to also do Palma broadcasts until his son transferred to Salinas for his frosh year. Good play by play. Would be great if they streamed and he did broadcast. This is listed as is JV game.

His audio stream is at

Salinas games are almost always listed, but they're never actually broadcasted. The only game I've seen played at the Pit online was the NorCal regional against Placer. I hope they have it this time, but I'm not holding my breath. The Twitter coverage is good, though.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
Salinas games are almost always listed, but they're never actually broadcasted. The only game I've seen played at the Pit online was the NorCal regional against Placer. I hope they have it this time, but I'm not holding my breath. The Twitter coverage is good, though.
Yes. Richardson is good. Professional broadcaster. I wanted to head down for the game but pretty much sequestered at work. The traffic has been terrible driving from Pleasanton to Salinas after 3pm and getting into the Pitt late means not a good seat. Usually I go to the JV game when OI do go. One question I have is did they fix the bleachers? Last game I attended there the wood was cracked and thought I was going to fall through at least in the section I was at. Not a bad view at the game though and loud.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT