ADVERTISEMENT

Maxpreps computer rankings a joke

En4cr

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2002
I was looking at rankings for Woodcreek and Sheldon and Woodcreek strength of schedule (SOS) is lower than Sheldon yet Sheldon loses 17 positions in National Rankings and Woodcreek surpasses them. It looks like Maxpreps is in the fixing business for those teams with Nationally ranked players. SJS uses MP for seedlings for Divisional playoffs. This can significantly affect the NorCal Open rankings/seeding. Both teams took care of business as the top two teams in Nor Cal, but obviously SOS, and common opponents mean nothing. If both teams win Wednesday it will make for one of the most intriguing games in SJS history.
Does anyone else see similar problems with their Division Rankings?

I don't see a problem with it what so ever.. look at the teams Woodcreek has played compared to Sheldon including their league.

I don't see a problem with it what so ever.. look at the teams Woodcreek has played compared to Sheldon including their league.
You're kidding me right now! Both of their leagues were down this year, but overall teams played against is not comparable. Sheldon does have a bad loss to San Joaquin Memorial of Fresno. Either way, if they meet in the SJS Championship game, it should be a great game.

For the record Sheldon is back atop Woodcreek in Max preps

Although San Joaquin Memorial is a game Sheldon should have won ,i wouldn't necessarily consider it a BAD loss. SJM has some major recruits and at 24-5 are on their way for a possible State Championship game. When you play on a Friday and then cram into a van for a road trip to Fresno
on Saturday anythings possible

As for Scheduling, Woodcreek won the Cosumnes Oaks tourney while Sheldon won The Tarkanian in Vegas beating Lone Peak the number 1 team in Utah as well as Harvard Westlake 65-61

Both participated in Palm Springs with Sheldon again beating Harvard Westlake 60-48 while Woodcreek lost to Harvard Westlake 66-57. Wood creek also lost to Chino 108-93. Sheldon lost to Chino in the Championship 91-82.

Last edited:
To me these teams are both evenly matched and their records and schedules have shown them to be the two best teams in Sac area and arguably the two best teams in Nor Cal (or if not, at least among the very best). As to who is better or deserves higher seed, that is tough to say. however, that is likely to be determined this week in the section playoffs.

Woodcreek played and Beat 4 top 20 teams in Nor Cal while Sheldon beat 2. The SFL sent 5/7 teams to the playoffs while the delta league sent only 4 teams. Woodcreek played in the Gridley tournament and beat 2 top 6 teams in nor cal.. while Sheldon has still yet to play 1 top 10 team in nor cal. So that's my evidence to back it up. Also in Woodcreeks lost they were without one of their starters vs Harvard Westland while Sheldon was at full strength when they played them.

Reactions: Coach Dietschy
Woodcreek played and Beat 4 top 20 teams in Nor Cal while Sheldon beat 2. The SFL sent 5/7 teams to the playoffs while the delta league sent only 4 teams. Woodcreek played in the Gridley tournament and beat 2 top 6 teams in nor cal.. while Sheldon has still yet to play 1 top 10 team in nor cal. So that's my evidence to back it up. Also in Woodcreeks lost they were without one of their starters vs Harvard Westland while Sheldon was at full strength when they played them.

Will be a great final, Sheldon has one of the best guard combo/trio in the state. Woodcreek has JB one of the best bigs in the country. Sheldon has played against teams with bigs and size won't affect them. Although JB has size advantage Sheldon has long powerful guys that won't back down. I love Robert's of woodcreek but this will be his biggest challenge of the year. I have Sheldon winning a close one. But if JB has one of those 20&20 games woodcreek will prevail.

Reactions: H.E.A.T.
First of all SHELDON was not at full strength either time they played HW. Actually was without 4 players the second game in Palm Springs.
Also you can't use NorCal games 4-2 for woodcreek because if you know any history about SHELDON you would realize they travel and play tough national competition over the years not NorCal. Over the last several years they played Tarkanian In Vegas every year , Torrey Pines in San Diego, Sugar bowl classic in New Orleans, Bluegrass in Kentucky , National Prep in Santa Maria, and Showcases in LA every year. Not the same.

Reactions: sid98765
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT