ADVERTISEMENT

MCDaag 2019 Noninee list. Who do you think gets picked from California? Tough choices

AtomicDawg1911

Superstar
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2019
en-us.html
https://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/content/dam/aag/2019-mcdonalds-all-american-nominees-list.pdf

This should be posted in the "Boys Basketball" forum--not Girls.
Of the 33 nominated from California, only 4 are from Northern California; one from Redding, and three from the same team Bishop O'Dowd, Oakland. I guess NorCal is just an afterthought.

The girls are at the back of the document, starting at page 12. Actually, the girls have 12 nominees from NorCal. Del Norte 15-2 from Crescent City must have a pretty good team, with 2 of the 12. o_O. Shocking that the boys only have 4 though, and none from SJS or CCS?

Last edited:
Is it true you don't need to be nominated to be picked for the game? I don't understand them if that is the case, but it's nice recognition for those players

Unless they changed the rules, you don't have to be nominated to be chosen.

CALIFORNIA First Last School Name City State
Vanessa Aguirre Mark Keppel High School Alhambra California
Jolene Armendariz Lakeside High School Lake Elsinore California
Andriana Avent Sacramento High School Sacramento California
Ali Bamberger Carondelet High School Carondelet HS California
Anna Blount St. Mary's High School Stockton California
Madison Campbell Clovis West High School Fresno California
Kaiyah Corona Windward School Los Angeles California
Cailyn Crocker Mater Dei High School Santa Ana California
Brianna Delatorre The Bishop's School La Jolla California
Nailah Dillard Inderkum High School Sacramento California
Orelle Gelbart El Camino Real Charter High School Woodland Hills California
Jennell Hooftallen Mira Mesa High School San Diego California
Dennise Horton Del Norte High School Crescent City California
Angel Jackson Salesian College Preparatory Richmond California
Haley Jones Archbishop Mitty High School San Jose California
Hannah Jump Pinewood School Los Altos Hills California
Ayanna Khalfani El Camino Real Charter High School Woodland Hills California
Jada Lewis Whitney High School Rocklin California
Destiny McAllister Brentwood School High School Los Angeles California
Maya McArther Dana Hills High School Dana Point California
Jada Moss St. Mary's High School Stockton California
Kathryn Neff Mission Hills High School San Marcos California
Charisma Osborne Windward School Los Angeles California
Kayla Padilla Bishop Montgomery High School Torrance California
Kaleya Sanchez Del Norte High School Crescent City California
Alexis Tucker Serra High School Gardena California
Ryanne Walters Sacramento High School Sacramento California
Chloe Webb Mater Dei Catholic High School Chula Vista California
Kayla Williams Bishop Montgomery High School Torrance California
Deja William's Long Beach Poly High School Long Beach California
Nicole Young St. Mary's High School Stockton California

Only two players from Nor Cal have a shot at making the game in my opinion. Angel Jackson and Haley Jones. Osborne of So Cal should be a lock.

Only two players from Nor Cal have a shot at making the game in my opinion. Angel Jackson and Haley Jones. Osborne of So Cal should be a lock.
I agree and I even think Angel might be a bit of a stretch tbh. I'm obviously rooting for her to make it but I just don't see it

I agree and I even think Angel might be a bit of a stretch tbh. I'm obviously rooting for her to make it but I just don't see it
These awards are won or earned in the summer. Jackson had a great showing at USA basketball and in the EYBL. I would think she has a great chance of making it, especially considering she is the #1 post player on the west coast.

These awards are won or earned in the summer. Jackson had a great showing at USA basketball and in the EYBL. I would think she has a great chance of making it, especially considering she is the #1 post player on the west coast.
I hope you are correct

You could be right. It is only 24 players so one from So Cal and one from Nor Cal would make sense.
and with espn obviously running the show, I would think they would want to mirror their rankings as close as possible.. so with Angel being like number 36ish(?) there's 12 players espn already thinks are better. This is all speculation of course. If they think outside of the game itself, it's very possible they take hannah jump to have her participate in the 3pt shoot out the night before

My guess would be that ESPN could care less what Dan Olson's rankings are, and really, could care less about the girls' game, as it is pretty much unwatchable. The McDonald's committee is far from well-informed and the four at-large spots are chosen by East Coast folks.

Just curious, why do you say they could care less about the rankings they post on their website?

Just curious, why do you say they could care less about the rankings they post on their website?

Because ESPN is a large corporation that generates a vast majority of its income from football, various forms of men's basketball and baseball. Girls' high school basketball is a rounding error, and my sense is that the folks who are televising the event will only look at the roster about a week before the game, and are unconcerned with who's on it.

Dan Olson is, certainly, but that's his job. And sadly, the only reason ESPN covers girls' basketball is that it has to if it wants to cover boys.

I guess my point wasn't directed at the ESPN corporation itself, I realize they have much much bigger fish to fry.. my point was more to the effect that if ESPN (dan olsen) had someone, lets say angel jackson, ranked as high as 25ish, her odds of getting chosen would go up dramatically. How often do people get chosen that are well outside (relatively speaking of course) the top 25?

Good point ... and I would guess that many of the voters look at Dan Olson's list, as he is very highly regarded.

Girls East Head Coach: Sue Phillips

Why in the world would they have Sue coach the East team, with Haley on the West? Gotta be a misprint.
I thought the same thing when I saw the rosters posted, but the article I posted mentions the matchup against each other. Obviously being an ESPNW article it was written ahead of time with the information already being known. Can't be a misprint. Maybe to guard against perceived favoritism or bias?

The geographic designations are a joke, pretty much. They just try to make it work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT